00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HPinky just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,504 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-01 23:05:43

hey denvish!
slightly abused thread idea played to an organized tune is fine in my book. :)

BBS ::

Idea for the future number uno: slightly larger sig dimensions
It is really a pain for sig artists on ng to do any good justice with their talents.
the 400 w isn't as bad as the 60 is height. I know we aren't really considered first on the forums since thats not ng's primary crowd, but it would be nice if we could have at least 400x100

I don't think it would make the forums look too crowded.

idea for the future number duo:
I know its a bit too late, but i think 30 posts per page is a hell of a lot of posts. Especially for clubs and crew and wi/ht lounge I find it hard to keep up with people and find certain posts.

idiea for the future number tre:
The text search . </3

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 07:43:45

heres a very good idea.

no more loud advertisements in the portal.

sometimes ill be watching a toon, then all of a sudden some sound starts coming out of my computer, interrupting my flash viewing experience,,,,and im looking around,, where is it coming from?? its coming from that stupid advertisement at the top of the portal.

that duck hunt one is annoying, the fly one is annoying too, and just a little while ago, i heard a voice talking about tupperware! it was coming from some tupperware advertisement at the bottom of the portal page,, worst one yet.... maybe theres a way to make them stay quiet on the portal page.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 08:43:16

At 3/2/05 08:13 AM, kalzac wrote: if were lucky, firefox will eventually have an option to block not only certain images, but also certain flash files....

It already does. The AdBlock extension.

Zendra: Please try and use multi-quote or something to avoid making 4 posts in rapid succession. Thanks.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 08:59:08

AdBlock is great, but Cash for flash??? wow, if I won.. I don't know how the hell i'd get my cash because I don't have PayPal or a credit card number... wouldn't it be better to have less ads than to have cash for flash? but I think cash for flash just makes flash artists much more motivated to make quality flash.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 15:15:13

I know i wouldnt need it but a lot of people in the top reviewers thread have been suggesting one of these for reviews:

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 16:37:55

I think NG could use abit more than it has it's almost perfect and if it had these it would.

#1 Have the ability to modify your posts, like if you misspell somthing you could fix it.

#2 Have the theme song back on the front page!

#3 Take off the alien hominid banners.... its been out for months.

#4 Update the look of our profiles.

#5 Be able to delete your account.

#6 Be alittle less strict! i meen for the smallst thing you can get banned i mean Im so paranoide all the time... but i guess they have to considering all the assholes that are here spamming up the place n' shit.

I'm done.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 16:41:56

At 3/1/05 10:39 PM, pieoncar wrote: James, would it be possible to slightly modify that script to "unlink" outwar, etc. links such that links to Newgrounds were made relative instead of absolute?

Yeah, that stuff used to bother me, too. At least... It used to. ;)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 16:44:00

At 3/2/05 04:37 PM, FlameAssassin wrote: #1 Have the ability to modify your posts, like if you misspell somthing you could fix it.

You need to read back through post history. Perhaps not this thread, but it's been mentioned that many times....

#2 Have the theme song back on the front page!

As has this.

#3 Take off the alien hominid banners.... its been out for months.

It's yet to be released in Europe or anywhere else outside America and Canada..

#4 Update the look of our profiles.

See response to point 1.

#5 Be able to delete your account.

Don't want an account, don't create one.

#6 Be alittle less strict! i meen for the smallst thing you can get banned i mean Im so paranoide all the time... but i guess they have to considering all the assholes that are here spamming up the place n' shit.

If you've read the rules and understood them, you've nothing to worry about.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 16:45:50

At 3/2/05 04:15 PM, MuyBurrito wrote:
At 3/2/05 10:54 AM, Zendra wrote: I found a little 'bug', in the new textbox.

As you can see, the image stops, after a couple of times you press enter.
This never happend with the older textbox.
This actually only happened for me within the past days since the textbox size was changed from 60 cols to whatever it is now.

Still not sure quite what's causing that, but I will look into it over the next few days.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 16:47:21

At 3/2/05 04:39 PM, MuyBurrito wrote: -Fix the following "problem"?
I haven't actually tried submitting my Top5 vote as it is shown in the following picture (because I don't want to accidentally trigger a fake vote watcher or accidentally vote for only Interactive Buddy 5 times.

If you'd have clicked submit, you would have gotten an error, but I suppose I should clear that up.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 17:05:32

At 2/25/05 12:33 AM, Seizure_Dog wrote: The secret doesn't exsist. Both HumanTarget some of the lvl 29s got enough exp to reach it and it was just an empty page. I think it was Shrapnel that made a thread stating his anger at this. Anyways, soon afterwards they increased the required amount to reach it. It's just a joke.

Hah, not just some level 29s... That got down to somewhere around level 26s or 25s before they raised the amount to reach it. I think there were roughly 15 people that had enough to get that secret at the time the amount was raised. (Could have actually been more, can't really remember.)

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 17:05:40

At 2/27/05 05:16 PM, liljim wrote: The trouble I'm now facing is with Opera.... Though, at the moment, I'm tempted to think, "Fuck Opera" and move on.

Please don't fuck Opera! That's exactly what I'm using :(

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 17:05:53

At 3/2/05 05:01 PM, MuyBurrito wrote: I do sincerely hope you mean something's wrong with the php handling

Um, no..

the obvious problem is:

Really? Then how come that syntax only actually works in IE and what we're dealing with here is a Firefox-specific problem.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 17:50:03

At 3/2/05 10:54 AM, Zendra wrote: I found a little 'bug', in the new textbox.

As you can see, the image stops, after a couple of times you press enter.
This never happend with the older textbox.

that used to happen all the time with the old box

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 18:56:52

At 3/2/05 06:11 PM, MuyBurrito wrote:
At 3/2/05 05:05 PM, liljim wrote: Really? Then how come that syntax only actually works in IE and what we're dealing with here is a Firefox-specific problem.
Oh? That's odd, because I have no trouble when using Firefox, but on both Slimbrowser and Internet Explorer, the problem arises...

Wait, I think I misread (after speed-reading) - I'm confusing the blue cursor thing with the tank scrolling in IE and other browsers that render css in a similar way to IE.

If you look at the page you linked in Firefox, the image turns out like the attached image. If you looked at the bbs post window in Firefox before I made changes, you'd have to scroll have way down the actual page before the image would even appear in the textarea (and even then you'd just get the bottom right hand corner of the image). I've tried a few workarounds, but haven't found anything that fixes this outright just yet (it's probably just a case of doing something simple with javascript) - although, I'm not really putting a great deal of time into this, since I have other things to work on that take priority. Let's face it, most of the people who post to the bbs just make one line posts, so they never run into the problem of seeing the tank scroll.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 18:57:39

Forgot the image I was going to attach....

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-02 19:42:40

At 3/2/05 06:56 PM, liljim wrote: I'm not really putting a great deal of time into this, since I have other things to work on that take priority. Let's face it, most of the people who post to the bbs just make one line posts, so they never run into the problem of seeing the tank scroll.

pieoncar to the rescue (although I honestly have no idea what we're even arguing about, so I might not have helped NG at all with this fix)!

No idea why this works, but a little searching found the fix:

.txtFldLikeBBS
{
font-family: Arial;
color: #000000;
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 12px;
background-color: #FFCC00;
background: url('http://newgrounds.com/bbs/layout04/tf_bg_tank.gif') no-repeat;
border-left: #000000 2px solid;
border-top: #000000 2px solid;
border-right: #45494F 1px solid;
border-bottom: #45494F 1px solid;
}

* html .txtFldLikeBBS {
background: url('http://newgrounds.com/bbs/layout04/tf_bg_tank.gif') no-repeat fixed;
}

http://www.pieoncar.com/upsidedown.html shows up correctly in both IE and Firefox. If anyone can confirm correct rendering in other browsers, that would be cool.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 09:50:31

At 3/2/05 07:42 PM, pieoncar wrote:
At 3/2/05 06:56 PM, liljim wrote:

Where did you find that? It certainly does the trick, thanks!

I'd spent at least two hours googling trying to find a solution to this that worked. Thanks for the pointer, hopefully that will bring this little problem to a close.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 12:12:16

At 3/3/05 09:50 AM, liljim wrote:
At 3/2/05 07:42 PM, pieoncar wrote:
At 3/2/05 06:56 PM, liljim wrote:
Where did you find that? It certainly does the trick, thanks!

I'd spent at least two hours googling trying to find a solution to this that worked. Thanks for the pointer, hopefully that will bring this little problem to a close.

I just now Googled "firefox textarea image alignment" without the quotes, but I don't think it was that exact string the first time I found it... on the second page of the results, I found this page on Experts Exchange which also linked to an example on this page.

But you're welcome for finding it, and thank you for fixing up that relative link thing earlier. It's a shame that such a neat fix like that will go basically unnoticed by most of the BBS, but it's still really nice for a few of us, at least :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 12:40:35

At 3/3/05 12:12 PM, pieoncar wrote: But you're welcome for finding it, and thank you for fixing up that relative link thing earlier. It's a shame that such a neat fix like that will go basically unnoticed by most of the BBS, but it's still really nice for a few of us, at least :)

Hehe, it was a one line fix. :) I should have done that sooner, it's something that has been bugging me for a while... Particularly when someone used to link up an abusive reviewer or provided a link that required you to be logged in.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 14:36:14

+ATTENTION+
-------------------------

I voiced this a long while back and I there was a lot of stuffs being talked ov...whatever

I think there should be an extra significant figure shown on both the voting power and the movie scores. It'll be absolutely NO extra load on the server and I think NG has gotten to a point where it's just more useful to be able to see an extra digit. jim?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 16:27:30

At 3/3/05 02:36 PM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: +ATTENTION+
-------------------------

I voiced this a long while back and I there was a lot of stuffs being talked ov...whatever

I think there should be an extra significant figure shown on both the voting power and the movie scores. It'll be absolutely NO extra load on the server and I think NG has gotten to a point where it's just more useful to be able to see an extra digit. jim?

I'm sure you're right wrt server load, but who'd be interested in it? Those who want to find out their VP that precisely can work it out manually...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 17:05:56

At 3/3/05 04:27 PM, jonthomson wrote: I'm sure you're right wrt server load, but who'd be interested in it? Those who want to find out their VP that precisely can work it out manually...

Not just VP, the movie scores as well, the higher up movie scores barely move, it'd just be nice to see.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 17:41:34

At 3/3/05 05:05 PM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: Not just VP, the movie scores as well, the higher up movie scores barely move, it'd just be nice to see.

The pico voting animation had a a few more spaces after the decimal. That thing was 1337.

It also had the whole "score change" thing. That would show the before and after scores of your vote (with the large amount of spaces after the decimal.) So you could see that your vote did .0005 damage or whatever it would do.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 17:52:49

At 3/3/05 05:41 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: The pico voting animation had a a few more spaces after the decimal. That thing was 1337.

Yeah I remember that, that's what we need kinda, except not in flash

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 18:48:36

Yay, more digits!!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:06:40

Ah, this is very nice. I've wanted this voting feature for awhile now.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:18:23

Here's an idea, increased voting power for every 1000 BBS posts and every 3 Portal submissions.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:20:37

At 3/3/05 07:18 PM, Danarachy wrote: Here's an idea, increased voting power for every 1000 BBS posts and every 3 Portal submissions.

Here's a reply. No.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:21:33

At 3/3/05 07:18 PM, Danarachy wrote: Here's an idea, increased voting power for every 1000 BBS posts and every 3 Portal submissions.

Spamming and portal abuse AHOY!

The BBS should be used for fun, for the conversation with others.. Not to raise VP.

Submitting flash should be about showing your hard work to others.. Not to raise VP.

The experience and B/P system for VP is fine the way it is.

BBS Signature