00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of January 2014

23,744 Views | 60 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:17:49

It's February and seasonal affective disorder is in full effect, but instead of killing yourself, enjoy this Best of January and remember you always feel better in the Spring!

Top Five Movies

The top rated movie based on original material and winner of $250 is A-Hole in Time! Congrats RicePirate and Twisted4000!

Top Five Games

Runner-up Movies

6. Breaking Dad
7. Pitch - Web Design
8. Yotam & Fantasia 11
9. Because, Boobs
10. Newgrounds in a Nutshell
11. Frak Legacy
12. Magic Wand Infomercial
13. Eddsworld-Fan Service Rem
14. Cheeto Fingers
15. PokeGen XY
16. Magic School Bus: ep5
17. Campfire
18. The Bartender
19. Hair Despair
20. Brian Small

Runner-up Games

6. Tesla: War Of Currents
7. Sentry Knight
8. House of Wolves
9. FamousPaintings Parodies2
10. Day X
11. Idle Farmer
12. Battalion Commander 2
13. NG BBS Awards 2013
14. Dead Paradise 3
15. Legend of Krystal vG
16. Painters Guild (Alpha)
17. Dakota Winchester's Adven
18. Escape #7: The Office
19. Papa's Pastaria
20. Bad Eggs Online 2

The voter of the month and winner of $100 is GunPanther!

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone who has participated on NG so far in 2014! I'm feeling lame about not releasing any web games lately but I've been working on a big game with JohnnyUtah that will hopefully be a crowd pleaser. Expect some site updates / improvements in the next few weeks, and feel welcome to weigh in on this redesign sneak peak with some leaked screenshots that aren't 100% up-to-date. Why another redesign? Because most people are browsing on phones and tablets nowadays and our layout needs to be adaptive and less heavy. We're getting there!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:23:17

And here I was, all ready to kill myself.

TOM SAVED ME!

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:26:52

another crap redesign... why can't you just let us opt for which design we want on our own preference and change it at will via Settings Control?

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:28:42

Wait.. what's wrong with the current design?

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:30:03

Dat redesign, needs more orange. I do like the side bars, that'd be much more friendly for tablets/phones, however I feel like daily 2nd's-5ths would miss out. Nice step in the right direction.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:30:48

Gotta say, I'm liking the look of that redesign.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:31:44

At 2/10/14 04:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: Why another redesign? Because most people are browsing on phones and tablets nowadays and our layout needs to be adaptive and less heavy. We're getting there!

I deal with PMs and check the forums on mobile when I'm away, so seeing those mobile-ified would be cool. Luis had an image a long while ago of what he said it might look like, hopefully it'll be like that.

push notifications for PMs, blog replies, and forum posts. Text to respond for PMs. I can dream...

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:32:52

Looks ugly! Change it back to the 2001 design!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:35:17

redesign needs more orange

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:38:24

Another redesign? I like the emphasis on blue. I feel suddenly like a really old user, considering that I will witness a second redesign.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:39:13

Congrats to the winners!

Yeah, idk... seems like a lot of wasted space. I could tell at first glance it was meant for portable doohickeys. What's up with P-Bot's pod, it looks kinda suspect, but potentially handy?

The Artist News and other links have three lines of text, with room for almost 4. Maybe bump up the font size a point or two, fill it out more, make it easier to read? Background looks sweet, we should really rotate them more often.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:49:36

At 2/10/14 04:35 PM, Oolaph wrote: redesign needs more orange

Agreed.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 16:59:24

Looks VERY sleek...

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:03:44

Looks much better than this one, except like a bunch of people said, needs more orange.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:06:54

At 2/10/14 05:03 PM, Slint wrote: Looks much better than this one, except like a bunch of people said, needs more orange.

in all honesty orange is my least favourite colour ever, but it just wouldn't feel like Newgrounds without it.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:07:37

What I've seen of the next planned redesign in those dated shots isn't bad. However, at some point, you may want to strongly reconsider how you approach each redesign. Instead of hitting everyone with a bunch of major changes all at once, just make minor visual changes over time and add in features wherever and whenever they're needed, then make adjustments based on general user feedback. The redesigns here are far bigger than any of the ones I've seen on major sites like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Google over the years. All hell breaks loose when they make even the tiniest change (but all of that hell was justified as soon as YouTube started to force G+ on its users). After thinking about it, that may be one of the big reasons NG hasn't kept up as well as it should have--major redesigns are usually too much for people to absorb at once, and of course you hear many people saying stuff like, "Bring back the old design" after every single overhaul, no matter how good or bad of a job you do. For now, by all means, keep proceeding with plans to implement the next design. I for one am actually looking forward to it, but this general approach to major redesigns is worth some serious thought.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:08:38

At 2/10/14 04:38 PM, Asandir wrote: Another redesign? I like the emphasis on blue. I feel suddenly like a really old user, considering that I will witness a second redesign.

If two redesigns makes you feel old, imagine how some of us feel.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:16:43

At 2/10/14 04:50 PM, Zachary wrote: It is not meant for mobile (at least the screenshot in the thread). That is the regular site design, the mobile version is going to be way more compacted. The reason it seems like wasted space is because the screenshot is of the full page. If you took a screenshot of the current design it would have the same effect.

Obvious grid is obvious, when you know what to look for.
First it was 4:3, then 16:9, now it's a toilet paper ratio?
Desktop PC gamer elite for lyfe, yo!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:23:45

Don't worry folks, we're a long time away from actually being able to redesign much of anything. Between Liljim and myself we already have over a years worth of higher priority projects to tackle with new things piling up every day.

That said, when we do work on a new design, it will be a phased deployment and very tightly managed. We'd basically start by coming up with whatever new colors and menu styles we want to use, any new header footer stuff that can just swap with what's on the layouts now. Then we would work on any other graphical changes like icons or whatever, then we would slowly start rebuilding the actual layouts section by section by priority so they would be friendlier to more devices.

We learned the hard way during the last two redesigns that you just can't do everything and go.

None of the leaked designs are approved or final by any means and by the time we're ready to roll on anything, may look COMPLETELY different. But your critiques on these concepts may definitely be considered in the design choices we ultimately make. So, as Tom said, feel free to critique!

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:28:32

At 2/10/14 05:16 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 2/10/14 04:50 PM, Zachary wrote: It is not meant for mobile (at least the screenshot in the thread). That is the regular site design, the mobile version is going to be way more compacted. The reason it seems like wasted space is because the screenshot is of the full page. If you took a screenshot of the current design it would have the same effect.
Obvious grid is obvious, when you know what to look for.
First it was 4:3, then 16:9, now it's a toilet paper ratio?
Desktop PC gamer elite for lyfe, yo!

That grid changed some actually, Its a tighter one. Think I'll spill more orange into it!

Anyway yea, its pretty early in the process, there's been no development put into it, so its literally still on the visual phase of it so stuff is changing and pretty often, and things can be changed in general. I threw it into my last news post and other places purposely for the sake of gathering feedback from anyone who bothers to invest the time into giving it.

I think the biggest challenge has been the rather restrictive size that our 21301242 thumbnails have and how it would be so painful to change those to anything else, so the redesign in a way is shuffling and changing things without uprooting the backbone, so i dont even like to think of it as a redesign, per se, more of a aim to facelift and shuffle things based on changing needs.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:29:22

My first 1st place of the month! Well, I guess technically it was RicePirate's... but I was involved!

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:31:48

At 2/10/14 04:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: It's February and seasonal affective disorder is in full effect, but instead of killing yourself, enjoy this Best of January and remember you always feel better in the Spring!

LOL that's great !

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:41:50

Dammit, psychogoldfish beat my post. Anyway.... First Post!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:44:16

Congrats to the winners.

At 2/10/14 04:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm feeling lame about not releasing any web games lately but I've been working on a big game with JohnnyUtah that will hopefully be a crowd pleaser.

How far along with it are you? Like percentage wise.

Expect some site updates / improvements in the next few weeks, and feel welcome to weigh in on this redesign sneak peak with some leaked screenshots that aren't 100% up-to-date. Why another redesign? Because most people are browsing on phones and tablets nowadays and our layout needs to be adaptive and less heavy. We're getting there!

I like it. Though needs a bit more orange. Even if it's more added onto the background. Though not the syrupiness that is the current background on here. What about having it so it's like the background on the main page if you're not a Supporter? Like having the tank logo at the top in a banner-like thing. And if you were to have a background put it at the sides. But otherwise have a dark grey color at the sides. Like this. Or have the option to have the backgrounds turned off and go with that when they're not on.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 17:55:01

At 2/10/14 04:26 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: another crap redesign... why can't you just let us opt for which design we want on our own preference and change it at will via Settings Control?

This. The potential design looks a lot like this one, so it doesn't look like there would be as many problems as there would be with switching between the 2007 and 2012 design. Or maybe would be a lot of problems. I'm not sure as I know fuck all about web design.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 18:15:25

Totally can't wait for the new redesign I feel this one is how to say....overdone. Of course the new features are still great

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 18:55:28

I think the new design looks pretty good. Looks somewhat similar to the mobile design on Luis' site.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 19:21:10

At 2/10/14 04:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: Why another redesign? Because most people are browsing on phones and tablets nowadays and our layout needs to be adaptive and less heavy. We're getting there!

I am glad to hear and see that a revamped, much more streamlined experience will be coming to Newgrounds. The most important thing to realize from this adaptive/responsive design movement is it's underlying philosophy; That philosophy being accessibility. It's my own personal mantra when it comes to front-end web dev.

Looking forward to scrutinizing the design when it's released!

PS - I just noticed last week that the site is now using schema.org microdata; I'm super stoaked that NG has embraced the contextually driven mark-up!!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 21:37:44

At 2/10/14 05:29 PM, Twisted4000 wrote: My first 1st place of the month! Well, I guess technically it was RicePirate's... but I was involved!

Don't be shy buddy, stand up and take a bow!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-10 23:23:00

Congrats to the winners! And, the new layout looks pretty slick. Nicely done guys!

And, I'll keep angling to get a game of mine in one of those top spots in coming months! Muahaha!!one!!eleventy!1!!one!

Current Project: Crown Princess

Completed On Newgrounds: The Hero's Journey