00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of January 2014

23,686 Views | 60 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 05:43:14

At 2/10/14 07:21 PM, ExtraLife wrote: PS - I just noticed last week that the site is now using schema.org microdata

Hah, I'd forgotten all about that. Yeah, that's been there since August. :)

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 07:19:18

Congrats to the winners!

Posted all my views on the potential redesign in that unofficial topic, but to sum it up: looks pretty good.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 07:30:03

Besides CatFat, everyone listed here sucks assholes... in a figuratively state of my harshness towards 'em.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 09:41:06

At 2/10/14 05:06 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 2/10/14 05:03 PM, Slint wrote: Looks much better than this one, except like a bunch of people said, needs more orange.
in all honesty orange is my least favourite colour ever, but it just wouldn't feel like Newgrounds without it.

If you leave orange and black out of the palette, it wouldn't feel like Newgrounds again I think, 'cause these two colors are what have been making this site more recognizable from, say, Kongregate. Other than that, I like the sleek design and hopefully a little more functional than just "Oh hey let's put more colorful stuff and boxes so that it drags more 12 year olds and slow down everyone else's internet"
Congratulations to the winners, also.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 10:36:51

At 2/10/14 05:29 PM, Twisted4000 wrote: My first 1st place of the month! Well, I guess technically it was RicePirate's... but I was involved!

Congrats to you both!

And thanks everyone for the 2nd spot! That's a new record for me ;D

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 11:07:39

Supremely disappointed that Mukpuddy's Crumbs series didn't make it onto the list of the top flashes for the month of January. Those cartoons had great writing, good art and animation, and awesome voice acting. I wouldn't be surprised to see those shorts on Adult Swim to be honest with you and the fact that neither one of the two episodes that came out in January didn't crack the top 20 makes me want to smack everyone who voted.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 11:25:15

At 2/11/14 11:07 AM, ZJ wrote: and the fact that neither one of the two episodes that came out in January didn't crack the top 20 makes me want to smack everyone who voted.

Even those who voted for them? :O It's true they're all great, in script, plot; everything, but they're also a series. It seems stand-alone submissions fare a much better chance at getting renowned in these lists.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 13:15:57

completely missed the voting panel. good stuff up there, good stuff!

i am really interesting in this redesign, more so for easier mobile accessibility. to better enjoy newgrounds and easily navigate it on my iphone would definitely be a plus. dig the colour scheme.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 13:31:26

At 2/10/14 04:26 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: another crap redesign... why can't you just let us opt for which design we want on our own preference and change it at will via Settings Control?

As much as I like the look of the redesign, I'd prefer to choose as well.

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 14:43:50

At 2/11/14 05:43 AM, liljim wrote:
At 2/10/14 07:21 PM, ExtraLife wrote: PS - I just noticed last week that the site is now using schema.org microdata
Hah, I'd forgotten all about that. Yeah, that's been there since August. :)

Why you no news post?!

Best of January 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 14:44:10

HOLY SHIT THANKS GUYS!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT! I think this is a first ... for like month AND original thing. 2014 ALREADY SO AMAZING!!! Thank you guys again, seriously. (and to T4K for doing a great job on the animation!!)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 15:13:42

At 2/10/14 04:26 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: another crap redesign... why can't you just let us opt for which design we want on our own preference and change it at will via Settings Control?

Because redesigns change a LOT of stuff. Tom also wants to find the optimal redesign, nothing so far has been so.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 16:43:29

At 2/10/14 04:38 PM, Asandir wrote: Another redesign? I like the emphasis on blue. I feel suddenly like a really old user, considering that I will witness a second redesign.

You make me laugh.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 16:50:56

I like that idea - would be great if we had the opportunity to switch between the new design (for tablet / smartphone user) and the classic orange one (for desktop pc user) in our account settings.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 18:12:14

At 2/11/14 04:50 PM, CrackerJack30 wrote:
I like that idea - would be great if we had the opportunity to switch between the new design (for tablet / smartphone user) and the classic orange one (for desktop pc user) in our account settings.

see people like this idea I don't why it doesn't get installed I mean other sites do it.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 18:16:05

A post on the redesign screens.

I like the look of it. Maybe it's because this redesign struck me the wrong way when it was launched and a bunch of shit that worked perfectly fine was remade into new systems that didn't function correctly- but I've always found this layout clustered.

Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous. Every little textured button exhumes the kind of personality I've always associated with Newgrounds- but there's a LOT going on, on every single page. I can imagine it being intimidating to a new user. I know when I first rolled onto the scene, just before the 2007 redesign, I found the layout of Newgrounds mind-boggling.

Looks like the log in interface is back up in the right hand corner, which I'm a fan of. I don't like the whole bar thing. Although, I am not a fan of the pixelated Tankman logo, so if this redesign does go through, I think it'd be cool if we could just have a downscaled version of the old one (like this guy from the bottom of the page- but bigger.).

I've kind of got a grudge against websites redesigning themselves to accommodate the tablet market, as a PC user who is using a mouse and therefore doesn't need everything to be finger-click sized, but I understand why the change is necessary for NG to move on in the future. And I appreciate that the design appears to have been 'streamlined' without becoming fucking boring, which alot of websites have a tendency to do. Not everything has to be designed with pastel colours and boring font types.

So colour me tentatively optimistic.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-11 21:33:04

Congrats on the $250!

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-12 04:25:22

At 2/11/14 06:12 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: see people like this idea I don't why it doesn't get installed I mean other sites do it.

Probably because the past redesign was more than just a skin, it changed the core structure and code, and introduced a lot of new features that have never been incorporated in previous designs, it'd subsequently require continual updating of both layouts, and as it is it looks like staff doesn't really have time to fix all issues in just the one.

But it would definitely be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-13 15:37:07

That new redesign looks good, in my opinion. New changes always makes me excited.

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-14 02:58:52

Haha well said. I hate february as well.

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-14 08:21:41

a newgrounds redesign... wee need moar tentacles in the ART seccion

another newborn fetus

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-14 12:31:54

I haven't been on in a while. What happened to the mature section? I can still search for games, but the Mature tab is no longer available? was it a legal issue?

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-14 13:55:11

Congratulations, hope this sets the bar for further contributions along the year!
I humorously remember the poster that mentioned his second redesign and feeling old... I also remember watching Britney Spears somersaulting a monster truck and dying, again and again, on some crappy sprite site countless eons ago... Gawrsh I'm old!
Did you know the internet didn't always exist? *gasp!*

At 2/14/14 02:58 AM, Wiesi wrote: Haha well said. I hate february as well.

To me it's January that seeps all the heat and joy from life; or maybe it's the f***ing exams. :-P

You can always make a game to sheer you up, like... I dunno... CANDY SHARK?

"Don't eat to much, you'll get cavities!"
"Dude, I'm a shark. I have multiple rows of killer razor teeth that fall out and replace themselves cyclically... Oh, you know what? I'm done talking." *CHOMP*
"Aaaeeeeiiigghh, my ileum! OMG I am dead."

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-14 16:42:44

You can always make a game to sheer you up, like... I dunno... CANDY SHARK?

"Don't eat to much, you'll get cavities!"
"Dude, I'm a shark. I have multiple rows of killer razor teeth that fall out and replace themselves cyclically... Oh, you know what? I'm done talking." *CHOMP*
"Aaaeeeeiiigghh, my ileum! OMG I am dead."

Lol! That Candy Shark idea isn't too bad! Actually I'm right now working on a game with candies in it.. So maybe I should give the shark a guest appearence. :)

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-15 03:30:36

How about top 5 audio ????

~The Fallen Angel~

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-15 06:51:19

At 2/15/14 03:30 AM, VinnieMackelmore wrote: How about top 5 audio ????

Yeah, and the Art Portal gets left out too, but there's always the Front Page listings. This site's always been about the Flash games and movies, and anything that can help in their production, like musicians, VA's and still artists. But yeah, there needs to be more contests and collabs for musicians, it's been pretty lax these past few years.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-15 07:54:27

Wait, Empire of Sock din't got #1!!!!?
what a load of...

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-15 22:49:28

If I'm supposed to be honest here, I think that redesign is kind of an eyesore. I don't know why this many people seem to dig it. It just looks so awfully, I don't know, bland? No, that's not the word I'm looking for. I'm having a hard time articulating my feelings on this. It's just really kind of dull and lifeless, what with the texture-less, monotone, windows 8-ish "giant-rectangle-of-color button" style. Nothing has any kind of visual pop, and it just kind of looks like every other big website on the internet today, except of course for a few things here and there.
So for me, I don't like it. Not one bit. I get why you want to redesign, but just those words, "tablet friendly/touch friendly" make me want to vomit. You may call me a bitter, surly, "anti-modernist" or whatever, and you'd probably be right, but I really don't like this hopelessly bland -and frankly, kind of depressing- way of doing things, especially seeing how the current design really is fucking beautiful, as RobertClock said, everything just oozes personality and visual pop. I really do feel like it's some kind of sin to trade in this vibrant display for eeh, that.
But, alas, you have to adapt, however sad a truth as that may be.

Also, please, please, don't use that horrible sickly purple. Looks like a stubbed toe.
Also also, I'm on board with pretty much everyone else on the "needs the dark-gray and orange getup".
I know this may not even be close to anything final, but I felt like voicing my opinion.
Now I feel like an asshole for being a bit harsh.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed dwarf is king.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-16 00:54:14

I love redesigns! Positive! Positive! Positive! Screw all the negative nut butts on here! Stay positive or face death!

TIME IS VERY SHORT, SO DON'T STEP ON IT!

Response to Best of January 2014 2014-02-16 03:45:43

At 2/14/14 04:42 PM, Wiesi wrote: Lol! That Candy Shark idea isn't too bad! Actually I'm right now working on a game with candies in it.. So maybe I should give the shark a guest appearence. :)

Woo, a new creatively crazy arcade adventure on route! Looking forward to it.

At 2/14/14 12:31 PM, Mtlheadbookworm wrote: I haven't been on in a while. What happened to the mature section? I can still search for games, but the Mature tab is no longer available? was it a legal issue?

The collection's still there (can be found through Google if you do nae know the link), but the page for it is gone. Could be considered purposeful re-branding in an attempt to gain a larger family audience.

BBS Signature