Respond to this Topic
lwyzlwyz
lwyzlwyz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 12:21:14 Reply

My only complaint: I would really like it if it were possible to know who the author of a submission is before loading it.

Xenogeist
Xenogeist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 12:25:25 Reply

All I can say is "Whoa" I don't know why you wanted to redesign the site; the old one was completely user-friendly in my opinion. Now I gotta familiarize myself with a new design?! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyway, I do like the design. It'll take me awhile to get used to it.

acid-burn
acid-burn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 12:38:44 Reply

Once again, nice job
However, I do miss the ability to listen to songs from the audio portal without having to go to that specific songs player.
I'll be back if I find anything else :D
Again, great job.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed dwarf is king.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 12:59:21 Reply

My biggest complaint about the redesign is the sound that the play button and the "under judgement notice" make. Isn't there any way to turn off that sound? I really don't want to hear it every time I do some B/Ping or want to watch some movies/play some games. It's annoying.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

LordZeebmork
LordZeebmork
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 13:13:21 Reply

I like how we still don't have support for .png images or Unicode.

wolf piss

Geriav214
Geriav214
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 13:19:22 Reply

WOW, i REALLY like the new design! congrats!!

Ones of hope and full of Fantasy without losing yourself to the Indulgment. Live free and have fun!

Alopex
Alopex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 13:28:07 Reply

I'm finding this redesign functionally irritating.

-No roll over info on submissions, seriously, where's the hell is the author and preview image?
-Classic portal downplayed, no longer has it's own button, new main page layout looks like hell.
-Have to click another link to get my stats, user page in general is a mess.
-Icons for locked medals are far too bright and busy, blending into the ones earned.
-No indication of 'new day begins at' or how many submissions I've voted on.
-Far less information in dialog boxes all around.
-Annoying, repeating sounds on under judgement submissions.
-Everything is big and overly spread out, I can see a lot less at a glance than before.

Overall, it's very pretty to look at, but feels like more effort went into the bling than the function.

WilliWowza
WilliWowza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:02:52 Reply

This is neat.

He'd Look Just Like You'd Want Him Too, Some Kind of Slick Chrome American Prince.
Tweet//LastFM//Qwantz//Blog

BBS Signature
bichounou
bichounou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:05:12 Reply

I was sad when i have seen Newgrounds off but i love this new website! It's very beautifull!

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:11:27 Reply

At 38 minutes ago, Alopex wrote:
Overall, it's very pretty to look at, but feels like more effort went into the bling than the function.

I think Alopex hit quite a lot on the mark. While the bling and style of the new site is great, it lost a lot of functionality...if y'all could incorporate the information into the icons in a similar, "roll-over" style like the previous incarnation, that would help a lot.

We are getting less information up-front...and there seems to be a lot of clicking around to get to where we need to go. Blend the practicality and informativeness of the old with the style and vibrancy of the new, please.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
shrizumalonito
shrizumalonito
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:13:53 Reply

Question about the Under Judgement page. I've noticed there are still some movies and games that have passed judgement but are still in that menu page. Shouldn't those submissions be out of there already?

MoRGoT1-1
MoRGoT1-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:14:14 Reply

At 1 hour ago, lwyzlwyz wrote: My only complaint: I would really like it if it were possible to know who the author of a submission is before loading it.

You can, under the credit part, but I know what you mean, I would also like to have the author's name in the title bar

Cry while training to laugh on the battlefield

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:25:40 Reply

On thing that you guy really need to put back is a way too see how many favorites and review/ new reviews a submission has gotten.

I was hoping to be able to see if my art has gotten new reviews with the redesign but now I can tell with anything.

I like reading reviews that my stuff has gotten, good or bad. I don't wanna click on every submission one at a time only to see if it's gotten a new review or if it's score change by a few decimal points or if it's got a favorite or not.

Please add a feature to monitor all this.

toxicdog
toxicdog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:33:27 Reply

Cant wait for the full site.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:40:39 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Mark-er wrote:
At 12 minutes ago, Haggard wrote: My biggest complaint about the redesign is the sound that the play button and the "under judgement notice" make. Isn't there any way to turn off that sound?
Yes, go to account settings and check "automatically play general content" then save that setting.

That's not really a soultion. I have turned that feature off for a reason.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 14:51:42 Reply

At 48 minutes ago, Alopex wrote: -No roll over info on submissions, seriously, where's the hell is the author and preview image?

What do you mean? When you hover your mouse over a submission you'll get the author and its rating (E, T, M or A). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, I dunno.

-Classic portal downplayed, no longer has it's own button, new main page layout looks like hell.

What do you mean? It looks a lot nicer. Being an NG user who's interested in flash games and movies, I'd much rather prefer nice big icons without an overload of information rather than the long lists of the Classic Portal. I think this complaint is purely because you're used to the old portal.

-Have to click another link to get my stats, user page in general is a mess.

A mess? Why? It's exactly the same as before except without the stats crammed into it. If anything it's less of a mess than before. I agree that perhaps some stats like Flash reviews, Audio Reviews, Art reviews, level and BBS posts should be showed at least since there's a lot of empty space on the right of userpages, but it's certainly not a mess. D:

-Icons for locked medals are far too bright and busy, blending into the ones earned.

Um... on my screen the locked medals are clearly dark red with a lock icon on them. You don't get any more obvious than that.

-No indication of 'new day begins at' or how many submissions I've voted on.

You're right. That's a known problem and the staff should be working on it!

-Far less information in dialog boxes all around.

Such as?

You can go to your account settings and make the Under Judgement submissions play automatically, so you'll remove those sounds if you don't like them. They're not even THAT annoying anyway.

-Everything is big and overly spread out, I can see a lot less at a glance than before.

True, but this is mostly the case with the Games and Movies sections because of the new icons. Having them rather than long lists is easier on the eyes in my opinion, and while it may take a little bit of a while for more veteran NG users to get used to, I don't see it being such a problem.

Sorry but I disagree I'm afraid. There are plenty of great new functional additions such as the AWESOME project system, and more's still to come!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
TKE-731
TKE-731
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:10:59 Reply

THIS IS SUPAH FUN TIME YEAAAAH!

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:11:53 Reply

At 17 minutes ago, Supersteph54 wrote:
You can go to your account settings and make the Under Judgement submissions play automatically, so you'll remove those sounds if you don't like them. They're not even THAT annoying anyway.

I disagree, sir. Those sounds are annoying as hell. And no, autoplay is NOT a solution. I have my reasons why I turned that feature off. Turning it on just to get rid of the sounds is a bad tradeoff.

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:13:56 Reply

Could we please move of the more important stats (B/P points, EXP, etc.) back to the main profile page?

Find me on Facebook!

ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:15:32 Reply

At 20 minutes ago, Supersteph54 wrote: A mess? Why? It's exactly the same as before except without the stats crammed into it. If anything it's less of a mess than before. I agree that perhaps some stats like Flash reviews, Audio Reviews, Art reviews, level and BBS posts should be showed at least since there's a lot of empty space on the right of userpages, but it's certainly not a mess. D:

I wanna add onto the fact that the only reason I blammed and saved stuff on the daily is to have a cool icon on my front page. Almost the same reason I voted on 5 submissions a day, secrets gave me motivation for that too.

However, that feature is gone on the front of the userpage.. and what'd they replace it with..? Nothing. IF that is the case and that feature IS NOT coming back, then take that giant banner ad at the top, put it in that empty spot, and give me my freaking banner back!

Roar.

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:19:33 Reply

Its all super sexy :)
keep em coming! I'm most satisfied with the project addition and now there isnt just ONE name directly under a flash submission which is really great :D

iPixzel
iPixzel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:31:21 Reply

Hello, I'm curious if I can still rename my tracks, see the views and other stats on my tracks, and if the Top 5 music widget will return?

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:41:58 Reply

At 22 minutes ago, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote:
At 20 minutes ago, Supersteph54 wrote: A mess? Why? It's exactly the same as before except without the stats crammed into it. If anything it's less of a mess than before. I agree that perhaps some stats like Flash reviews, Audio Reviews, Art reviews, level and BBS posts should be showed at least since there's a lot of empty space on the right of userpages, but it's certainly not a mess. D:
I wanna add onto the fact that the only reason I blammed and saved stuff on the daily is to have a cool icon on my front page. Almost the same reason I voted on 5 submissions a day, secrets gave me motivation for that too.

However, that feature is gone on the front of the userpage.. and what'd they replace it with..? Nothing. IF that is the case and that feature IS NOT coming back, then take that giant banner ad at the top, put it in that empty spot, and give me my freaking banner back!

Roar.

Hm, I actually like the stats page a lot better. It gives us a nice overview over ALL our stats. And there are more stats than before to view at a quick glance.

Yes, it is strange that we can't see the level of a user when we go to the userpage. But I have the feeling that levels are a lot less important now... (which is a real shame).

Also it's strange that our medals show up on the frontpage AND on the stats page.

megadrivesonic
megadrivesonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:43:19 Reply

hopefully someone fixes the issue with uploads saying they don't exists! i just finished a cartoon and want to subbmit the darn thing

if your interested in me doing comminsions, here are my prices

ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:49:17 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Haggard wrote: Hm, I actually like the stats page a lot better. It gives us a nice overview over ALL our stats. And there are more stats than before to view at a quick glance.

Yes, it is strange that we can't see the level of a user when we go to the userpage. But I have the feeling that levels are a lot less important now... (which is a real shame).

Also it's strange that our medals show up on the frontpage AND on the stats page.

I liked having a cool icon on my front page. However, I like that its on the forums as well, and I like the stats page.

Mainly, though, I hate going to my profile, and seeing that empty space.. it just bugs the crap out of me and makes peoples pages look, well, incomplete. If I create a news post, there's gonna be a giant empty space there, and that kills me lol.

BBS Signature
apsham
apsham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:49:28 Reply

Holy moly!

This is the best site redesign I think I have ever seen. I like the flow of it A LOT.

BBS Signature
BrockManson
BrockManson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 15:54:11 Reply

Is anyone else finding it hard to tell if their daily exp has been deposited?

Every time I open a flash, view it then rate it I cast my vote but I no longer see "vote for 2 more flashes to deposit your exp" message.

I've done 5 today but no idea if I got exp for it.

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

Anaphaxeton
Anaphaxeton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 16:01:32 Reply

Ok, I haven't completely explored the site yet, but so far here are the things that I like:

1. You've kept the classic portal, which is one of the defining images of the old Newgrounds, and feels familiar against the "unknown" of the massive changes.

2. The new design in general looks really good, with the neon-coloured, polished-steel, futuristic space shooter image. The classic design was appealing because of its dark/black theme, and I'm glad you've kept that on top of the classier additions.

3. As far as I can tell you've updated the search system, which used to be completely ineffective. This was actually the main thing I was looking forward to when I first heard the word "redesign" many years ago.

4. The integration of all the content on the site into the channels on the main page. Generally looks more organised.

Things that I don't like:

1. The large icons for displaying the content on the main page. It looks too bare and disorganised. I also miss the short author description alongside each submission on the main page. Personally, I was more interested by that, and also the name of the submission (in big Gold letters), than the image itself. The images can easily be misleading, and they don't tell you anything about the submission, so it might just as well be an art submission by the way it's presented.

I would prefer it if you kept the author descriptions, the name of the submission without having to hover over the image, and the name of the author as well. I think the age rating should keep its original colour scheme.

2.The main banner on the front page looks a little empty. This takes away from the whole "slick black" theme of the site. I think the original two tankmen can be replaced with something.

Also, as an idea, would it be possible to give each registered user to modify the wall art or the colour scheme like google does? Considering you've given more colour to the site compared to the more anodyne black and gold, it would be fair to give users some control over it.

I'm generally indifferent to the star system, although I do think it takes away from the individual feel of the site. Regardless I have to admit that it does give you a better idea than the number system. Also I noticed you've kept the old number-based rating banner, so I'm fine with that.

In conclusion, the redesign is a breath of fresh air. It is a symbol of the site's growing ambitions and a promising step towards their realisation. I believe it took a lot of courage and great planning to make such a change, while keeping the community's desires so close to the process.

I understand the redesign is not yet quite complete (mostly with all the bugs, from what I've heard), in which case this "draft" is an amazing success and close to perfect. I would like to thank humbly all the administrators in charge of this work, and express my appreciation of their undying support and loyalty to this community.

I trust all the organizers to listen closely to the community's opinions and suggestions about any more changes that might be needed (which they've always done, and I think we should treasure that.)

Otherwise, I think it's going very well. Congratulations to everybody!

Mojomon
Mojomon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 16:07:23 Reply

I'm so glad to be part of a community that actually takes the time to improve and a staff that constantly strives to make an awesome site.

NG- Being awesome for over a decade!

jmaster570
jmaster570
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-09 16:11:36 Reply

At 23 hours ago, jmaster570 wrote: i am not sure if it is because of the update but when i try to load some games/ movies it doesnt load with the little box in the top left that has a circle square and triangle. ( i have had bad internet problems b4 so it may be that)
internet explorer 9 windows vista

i was wrong it does load but it doesnt appear to load no major fixes needed