00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Redesign 2012 Complete!

141,213 Views | 935 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 08:06:35

I'm missing a short description for the games in the front page (or at least tags/stars or something like that).

Also, I'd like the front page to be customizable. Would this be possible? Like, I'd prefer to see more games and less movies. Also be able to select a different frontpaging algorithm, so I can decide whether I prefer new or popular games? Sometimes the front page gets stuck with the same games for weeks and doesn't change them.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 08:30:36

At 7 hours ago, MI4-REAL-2001 wrote:
At 23 hours ago, NordicConquest wrote: Am I the only one who thinks the redesign is fucking ugly?
No. I agree with you.

Old design was better. The new weapons look like crap. So do the whistles, and quite a few other things which will come to me as I go.

The old design was more broken and a little more disorganized, it had several unfinished and discontinued features they were gonna add in 2007. Remember the chat? Never made, never will be. Or what about the NG Mag? Never fixed, and didn't see the light of day.

As for weapon icons, that's just opinion. There's people who enjoy pixel art you know. And the whistles look pretty bad ass to me. I don't see why is this a problem if it's something SUBJECTIVE.

And the newout layout just creates more confusion, and doesn't look better than the old layout. So what if the previous layout was 10 years old, it worked, and worked well.

What's so confusing about MOVIES, GAMES, AUDIO, ART, CHANNELS, COMMUNITY, and NG STORE as navigation? They all take one click, you don't have to worry about the sub tabs, I mean, who cares about "latest", "greatest", and "popular"? Just click on the main tabs since that's what we're all use to do.

If you go to MOVIES, it takes you to MOVIES.
You go to GAMES, it takes you to GAMES.
You go to AUDIO, it takes you to AUDIO.
You go to ART, it takes you to ART.
It's very self explanatory yet you think it's harder to understand the obvious.

It's more confusing to name the movies and games "flash" because there's plenty of people who don't know what flash is, and some think that it's a light bulb blinking (literally). And one more thing, movies and games no longer have to be flash, so it's no wonder the portal was split to two.

As for looks, again, opinion. Each page changes color to keep fresh so you wont have to see the same thing for too long. Pretty much like Windows 7 with it's wallpapers that change.

If I had my way, we'd rollback to the old layout in a week.

If you had your way, we'd go back to the past and play the shitty games that suck ass (and stay for 20 years). No, not happening. You only want to go back because you're so use to the old broken layout and refuse to use the latest just for being new, and not for the other stuff.

Customs is one thing, convenience is another. If you let go of your customs, you'll see the mayor convenience in the new compared to old.

My dad doesn't go to new grounds and he wanted to know its purpose.
So he:
1. Went to the Community tab. (the data base where all information is found [which is expected from the name "Community".])
2. Clicked on Wiki. (Since he knows Wikipedia, source of free information.)
3. He went to history, and learned new grounds. End of story.

New people find it more convenient to navigate than accustomed people do.

I quickly adapted to this new layout fast. But I'm disappointed that the blogs from non-artists were removed. Another glitch I found is some of the B/P badges repeat or they're on the wrong rank name. Example: The Supreme Commander has the regular Commander badge. And it's because they kept the old B/P badges.

I DO like the new content though. Among other things, the additions to medals.

The medals were added way before the redesign, kid.

Discord: Eltro#4304

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 08:32:09

Even if I save my login info on Google Chrome by making the X yellow, it automatically logs me off.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 09:15:35

I'd just like to voice my opinion and say - the new design is really, really bad.
The bigger icons are unnecessary. A lot of stuff has gone missing, like game collections. Finding something is 10 times harder. The site takes longer to load on old hardware. And it's just ugly, in my opinion.
Not that I visit this site that much anymore.
I have no idea why you guys even needed a new design - the 2007 version was near perfect.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 09:46:33

At 1 day ago, ReNaeNae wrote: Do you have plans to change the thread page numbers so more than the last one shows? Or am I going to have to learn to live with it?!

1 2 3 4 ... 10 ... 22 ... 28 29 30 31

I want to +1 to this. With bigger threads I view, having that setting for thread pages would help me a lot so I can go on the second to last page before proceeding to the most recent one.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 10:11:19

This system is very hard to understand, but i'l get used to it soon enough
TY Tomfulp!

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 13:00:56

There are 4 things I hate with the new design. The first is when you are on someone's page it doesn't tell you the score of their games/movies just the icon etc. The second is lots of movie/game icons have been deleted so now there is just the basic picture. And third is when I look at my stats it says I have earned 4 trophies but when I click on view all, only 1 is there. I was co-authored in 3 animations which all earned trophies but I did not host them. I have still earned these so they should show on my page.
The final problem is there isn't the top 10 games/movies of the day on the home page. I don't think people can even get daily awards anymore? If you have got rid of that then I'm probably going to leave the site, they were my main reason for submitting.
I really hope you read this and try to fix them because the first, third and last problems are important and because of this I have stopped going on this site as much and I don't even want to submit to the site because of this.
I would appreciate it if I could get a reply.

Have a jam sanwich man

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 13:45:57

If I had my way, we'd rollback to the old layout in a week.
If you had your way, we'd go back to the past and play the shitty games that suck ass (and stay for 20 years). No, not happening. You only want to go back because you're so use to the old broken layout and refuse to use the latest just for being new, and not for the other stuff.

I agree.
The aesthetics are a completely separate issue (and there's no way to please everyone), but as for the new interface, I feel like it's a million times more intuitive than before. Those unable to navigate the new layout must just be so programmed to click in certain places out of habit that they can't fathom clicking in places that actually make SENSE.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 14:26:24

I know you guys have bigger issues to deal with, but here a couple (hopefully) minor ones:

On Awards...

- in most cases the dates are spelled out, but in a couple spots, they're numbers.
- Seems that all Review crew picks in the "Stat, Info & More" sections say "Movie of the Year 2011" (or whatever year it was)... but in the Movies page, in the trophies list it says "Review Crew Pick".

the Link button is broken... I had to add those manually!. Hope they work! lol

...and a request. Can you add "Charity" to the Additional Credits options?! Thanks :)

Redesign 2012 Complete!

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 15:16:05

Loving the redesign so far. I am but a lowly consumer, and do not submit, but I do my best to review constructively.

That being said, I wish I could sort reviews by how helpful they have been rated, instead of being limited to date/rating sort.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 15:51:03

I just want to say the 'recent notifications' icon is just perfect. I've had no idea how much newgrounds was lacking until that was added. </hyperbole :p>
The Audio Portal was always my favorite part.. and now it's even better!

The "People find this review HELPFUL/USELESS" has too much vertical space, and requires too much scrolling.

Could you please show the title by default?? Such as...

Redesign 2012 Complete!

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 15:51:52

Where did the old NG Staff Selection page go?! I loved that thing, but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. :'(

At 1 day ago, thegreatbunsenburner wrote: The redesign looks amazing; keep up the great work. I was definitely a bit disoriented at first (a little moreso than the last redesign), but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Bottom line: great job, as always guys. Keep up the great work, and thank you for the years of entertainment.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 18:01:50

awesome design :D but there are two things that disappoint me a little
1) where did the cool music robot from the music portal go :< ? i know it sounds dumb, but that robot made the music portal somehow more uniqe.
2) weekly best 5 songs in music portal is something that made me come back a lot. is that gone forever?

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 19:01:28

At first, it was confusing to know where everything went, and everything that got changed. I slowly went around and figured all the new and changed stuff, but I like the redesign overall.

Great job Tom, NG is looking amazing!

Gawd. I hate my NG username.

PSN: ChewyOwnz

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-12 19:57:50

At 38 minutes ago, Playfordeath001 wrote: Great job Tom, NG is looking amazing!

Shhhh up man! We'll never get anywhere with this mutual admiration society BS.
Tom.
Hi.
I came of your woodwork recently to address some issues and try get comfy with this transition, by any means necessary. There legitimate issues above my post still needs resolving. Non critical issue: The "new" user level icons you're using, look just as bad as when you posted them, right before our last big redesign. Tell me I'm wrong; I'm an 11 vet here w/ no BBS rants to speak of. Maybe if we had a choice of which epoch's icons we'd like to use... and have a tournament later to find another batch of badges or two.
Naw get er dun thar boy!

Redesign 2012 Complete!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 02:32:47

*goes onto NG after getting stuck on TVTropes for roughly 4 days straight; nearly falls over in chair in awe*

HOLY SHIT.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 03:23:18

My Feedback. Love the new site design and the project submission page. Makes it easier to test stuff before posting to judgement.

One thing that I missed from the old system, was a Submissions Master summary that listed all of the things you posted in a long list. It was tiny enough so it didn't take up alot of room. The KEY FEATURE was you got to see the number of reviews you had. and a ("new") review count from the last 2 days. For those who pop in and out every few days, its great to see what new reviews you got. Also the "favorites" counter, indicating how many 'fans' you have that marked your submission as their favorite.

We don't get this in the new system, or at least anywhere easily accessible.

Before I was able to access everything in 2 clicks. By clicking on my name top right corner. Then clicking on My Submissions link and there it was everything I needed to see in managing my submissions, with the View and Edit button handy.

Now there are too many clicks to edit or view something.

Good job, keep up the good work.

At 5 days ago, TomFulp wrote: If you have general feedback or suggestions, reply to this thread! Read the rest of this post first, though.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 15:03:30

At 4 days ago, Loy6 wrote: The only thing I was really hoping for was that the audio portal be split between "Voice Acting" and "Music" in the same way the Flash portal was split between "Movies" and "Games"

This split was under serious consideration for a while during development. It's still a potential down the road but we're trying not to let the top nav go beyond seven items. One side-goal would be to better integrate series and collections elsewhere by the time the Lit takes the place of Channels.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 15:23:32

At 4 days ago, Ogre-D wrote: I love how my IE browser cuts off the comments by restricting them to their tiny boxes if they are too long and rant-like.
And yeah, I know, who uses IE anymore?

IE knows when its users have reached their reading limit. :P

I haven't actually been able to recreate this one but a number of people have reported it... Very frustrating. I also can't recreate not being able to set a review score in IE.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 15:27:28

At 4 days ago, Xeptic wrote: One small issue/question: is there a way beta-testers can see what projects they are allowed to beta test, or are they supposed to memorize the link to the game? I've been looking around for a bit, but I still haven't found a place where I can see which projects I was invited to as a beta tester.

That still has to get plugged in.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 15:34:26

At 4 days ago, deathink wrote: OK, I have finally started to except the changes, and I love all the hard work you put in to it.
I do have some suggestions...

1) We put some stats back on user pages... Will see where to go from there.

2) We are working on bringing back additional info besides the thumbnail, just trying to do it the best way we can.

3) Do want to do something about those interviews!

4) My goal is NO content links in the left column, meaning artist news right under the ad under the calendar. That goal is getting harder now that we are bringing in additional content info, which uses up a lot more space.

5) We'll be switching our skins over time so I'm looking forward to a triumphant skyline return. :)

6) We will quite possibly ditch star scores completely and go back to all numbers.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 15:37:50

At 4 days ago, LordZeebmork wrote: I like how we still don't have support for .png images or Unicode.

Attempted switch to Unicode but it caused a ton of issues, so it's gonna have to become it's own big project now. And I'm pretty sure PNG works, it just doesn't mention it.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 16:14:56

scrolled through all of the pages, so i wouldn't get too much into
things that already have been said. right now it comes down to this:

Overall Look/Feel
- as many people have mentioned the site feels overpowered and
it's due to the massiv amount of new textures and the artist's wallpapers.
i know you guys want to support your key players, but an option to switch
these off - if that's even possible - would be a huge relief.
(i won't bitch about 'em ads! mamas need to be paid!)

this sort of leads over to the following ...

- as i recall customizability of userpages was supposed to
be enhanced with the update but now, there is not even
user-banners anymore. i guess you guys plan on bringing that back,
but an author's userpage is something that should feature wallpapers,
customizable headers to the sections ("latest news", etc.) and such,
not the frontpage, which then (cleaned up) really benefits from the
larger icons.

Usability
- what really "bothers" me the most is, that audio
submissions no longer show the score on the userpage, since there's
actually space for it and that you don't have a summarizing page
like the "manage audio"-one anymore, that gives you an insight on
how your submissions are doing! navigating through EVERY, SINGLE,
ONE is a huge downer, sry :(
(to be fair, that's an "i like myself some overview"-issue only)

otherwise i can't find anything that's not to like, or even to hate.
everything works fine so far, though i get logged out sometimes.
but that's probably accounted for by the ever-updating server.
i'll be glad to see how the site develops from here on out.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 16:31:33

At 2 days ago, ReNaeNae wrote: Do you have plans to change the thread page numbers so more than the last one shows? Or am I going to have to learn to live with it?!

1 2 3 4 ... 10 ... 22 ... 28 29 30 31

I put this one in the bug list.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 16:40:20

At 2 days ago, nconde25 wrote: FIX AD REVENUE EARNINGS FOR LAST YEARS PLEASE.

yes i needed to use caps, nobody listen.

2011 results are now officially back!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 16:43:27

At 2 days ago, Sumbody69 wrote: I am kinda upset that your art portal no longer has any way to shuffle through the new art *next button* like you used to have.

This was accidentally left out but intended to return.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 19:02:52

There needs to be some more consistency with the way you're presenting information on the site. For instance, you've now made is to Games is before movies in the order of the tabs, I'm fine with this. the issue is your consistency. The search bar order is the same as navigation, Games, Movies, Audio, etc, but you default to movies. I see no logical explanation for the site to present games as the first tab, for the search to present games as the first tab, but for the default to be movies, it just doesn't click for me.

Additionally, I find the search feature being spread throughout sections of the site to be horribly obnoxious. I appreciate being able to narrow my search down to a particular section, but I greatly believe the default should be "Everything", and a search should check everything. I've already attempted to search for a game a few times now, each time nothing turns up because it's defaulted to movies. Perhaps I'll get used to this, but as far as design choices go, I don't think it's something I should have to get used to.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 20:44:30

I see a lot of people raving about how this new setup is "intuitive" or "better," without any sort of explanation. Those are just words. If I were to say the design was more "pineapple" it would give an equivalent amount of information.

I have one major problem with the new design: tag lines. The old setup showed you the picture for a game or movie, and then had a little tagline to help you understand a bit about the media before you spent time on it. Now we just see the picture, which may or may not even be art that's actually in the game, and it doesn't tell you anything.

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 22:19:35

well shit all these changes make me feel like and old fuck and im only in mah 20's. FUCK!

Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-13 22:33:19

this site looks like one of those sites that just steal content and put them in a bunch of square div boxes with no organization and random images everywhere

sorry to say it is really ugly and cluttered and takes a while to load. everything is puke yellow color

i can help u re redesign, it will cost money tho of course