00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chyni just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guitarists

628,447 Views | 13,330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-01 18:35:15

At 1/31/12 08:14 PM, Gein wrote:
At 1/31/12 08:04 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Only if the sound guy is shit.
I'm the sound guy.

Then why are you asking about sound quality?

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-01 21:28:18

At 2/1/12 06:35 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
Then why are you asking about sound quality?

I was joking about me being the sound guy lol

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-10 16:36:40

SO I mentioned I had been having sound problems since I had my actives pups installed. Well long story short my guitar was to much for my cruddy amp so I'm getting a new one. That will hopefully smooth everyhting out.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-10 17:59:09

At 1 hour ago, TheSporkLord wrote: SO I mentioned I had been having sound problems since I had my actives pups installed. Well long story short my guitar was to much for my cruddy amp so I'm getting a new one. That will hopefully smooth everyhting out.

Well I was going to say if you're hearing a sort of regular pulse in volume that's a completely natural phenomena, it should only occur while playing chords though.

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-24 09:21:57

At 9/18/11 06:16 PM, Dromedary wrote: I need an electric guitar with a wider than average neck.

RECOMMEND PLEASE

Get a Gibson Sg. I got one almost two years and people tell me that when they play it it feels like they're holding a log or something. I recommend it as it has a great sound output due to the mahogany wood body and neck, and the rosewood fretboard. Not only does it have a wide neck, but it has great tones from the humbuckers. It's got Alnico 490 and an Alnico 489 I believe. When you move the pickup selector switch to select both of them, the sound you get is a smooth rolling type sound which is great for blues and stuff.

And if you're scared of the Sg's price tag, then go for a Jackson......they're still expensive enough, and I think they guitars with wide necks as does Gibson.

Neo Classical Shredder

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-25 04:21:54

I might be teaching my friend to play guitar here soon and I'm basically more than likely going to need to be able to get him up to speed on playing decently complex stuff. Anyone have any experience in teaching they'd like to give, so that I can help him adjust as quickly as possible?

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-25 12:21:39

At 7 hours ago, Psil0 wrote: Anyone have any experience in teaching they'd like to give, so that I can help him adjust as quickly as possible?

Yeah, don't do it as quickly as possible. If he wants to play complex stuff he needs to have correct technique, which only comes with time and practice. Trying to rush him up to a certain level is just going to fuck him up later on, and might even result in physical injury like carpal tunnel.

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-25 12:26:46

At 3/23/04 08:51 PM, second-sun wrote: i will not deny that all guitars are awesome. that is true. i really want to learn how to play a sitar, those things are fucking sick.

Tabs blow.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-26 01:13:39

At 12 hours ago, SomaGuye wrote:
At 7 hours ago, Psil0 wrote: Anyone have any experience in teaching they'd like to give, so that I can help him adjust as quickly as possible?
Yeah, don't do it as quickly as possible. If he wants to play complex stuff he needs to have correct technique, which only comes with time and practice. Trying to rush him up to a certain level is just going to fuck him up later on, and might even result in physical injury like carpal tunnel.

Well I should say more up to speed. I'm not trying to rush him, I know all too well from my person experiences how damaging that can be. However, I do want him to be able to play certain things efficiently which mostly just includes alternate picking, economy picking, and a bit of legato.

Also, he's already an established musician and knows plenty of theory (so that won't have to really be taught). Mostly where I want to try and get him to is to be able to play riffs like August Burns Red.

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-27 15:59:55

At 1 day ago, Psil0 wrote: I do want him to be able to play certain things efficiently which mostly just includes alternate picking, economy picking, and a bit of legato.

Alternating picking, cool, definitely the most useful technique in the book, legato, almost equally as important but... you want to teach this kid Economy picking right off the bat? That's the most difficult technique in the book, the only players I have heard that used it perfectly are people who haven't seen daylight in years, it's definitely for the faint of heart.

August Burns Red

That stuff is pretty easy.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-02-29 13:33:16

I think I'm going to give this chromatic thing a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyUHFl0iB8

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-04 09:51:48

At 8 days ago, Psil0 wrote: I might be teaching my friend to play guitar here soon and I'm basically more than likely going to need to be able to get him up to speed on playing decently complex stuff. Anyone have any experience in teaching they'd like to give, so that I can help him adjust as quickly as possible?

I suggest you show your Ultimate Guitar and look up basic alternate picking practice techniques. Better yet, here's a page on that site which does a good job explaining alternate picking. Make sure he practices alternate picking for about an hour a day, as alternate picking is about 90% of what lead guitarists use in their solos. An example of a good alternate picker would both Jim Root, and Mick Thompson from Slipknot. Mick Thompson shows us his warm up/alternate picking exercises here. And boy is he amazing at it! This is the link for that. It goes hand in hand with the first exercise in the first link too.

As for August Burns Red, yes I love them too and they're actually not that hard to play. My advice for getting your friend to learn to play August Burns Red is to start learning their songs. Just choose one song for him to learn or let him choose it and tell him to incorporate it into his practice routine everyday. Better yet, alternate between learning a song of your choice and alternate picking exercises and go from their. And here's another tip for when learning solos: When in doubt, use alternate picking. As I said before, at least 90% of a lead guitarists phrases are picked alternately so use it whenever you practice.

Good songs to start with would be Marianas Trench, Existence, Empire, or Ocean Of Apathy.

Good luck with your friend. Make sure he remembers to practice!

Neo Classical Shredder

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-08 23:44:52

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-21 21:21:17

1) American Standard Tele
2) Chili Peppers, GNR
3) 2 years and 8 months

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-22 01:11:20

Just bought an acoustic guitar last week.

Chicks love the way I play Come as you are. Fucking love this thing. Out of tuned piece of shit right now until I get a tuner.

Anyone know songs/riffs I can play on the E A strings?

I use smileys when im clinically depressed =3

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-23 03:32:40

At 1 day ago, LuigiBot wrote: Just bought an acoustic guitar last week.

Chicks love the way I play Come as you are. Fucking love this thing. Out of tuned piece of shit right now until I get a tuner.

I know of a few songs you can play on the lowest strings:
1) Crazy Train
2) Seven Nation Army
3) Another One Bites The Dust
4) Master Of Puppets
5) Cowboys From Hell
6) Even Flow
7) Dazed And Confused
8) Iron Man
9) Sunshine Of Your Love
10) Paradise City
11) Smoke On The Water

Some of these have power chord versions but stick it to the basics and you'll be good.

Neo Classical Shredder

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-23 20:16:50

At 16 hours ago, PsyhcoWalrus wrote:
At 1 day ago, LuigiBot wrote: Just bought an acoustic guitar last week.

I know of a few songs you can play on the lowest strings:
1) Crazy Train
2) Seven Nation Army
3) Another One Bites The Dust
4) Master Of Puppets
5) Cowboys From Hell
6) Even Flow
7) Dazed And Confused
8) Iron Man
9) Sunshine Of Your Love
10) Paradise City
11) Smoke On The Water

Some of these have power chord versions but stick it to the basics and you'll be good.

Sick list bro, I remember playing some of those before i got a guitar (Smoke on the water, Iron man) they where easy this is just what I need ATM.

I use smileys when im clinically depressed =3

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-24 11:30:41

This is my guitar.

Guitarists

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-26 23:55:03

I am IN! Despite having a Korean made wannabe Les Paul, and using my computer as my amp, I love to play.

The only things I really practice with nowadays are scales, I'm currently working on mastering the Phrygian scale in all notes. If only I had more free time, things would go so much smoother.

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-27 17:32:00

One of my many guitars. It's nothing special, but I tend to use it for pretty much everything I do

Guitarists

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-27 18:48:29

At 3/27/12 05:32 PM, SineRider wrote: One of my many guitars. It's nothing special, but I tend to use it for pretty much everything I do

That's definitely something special, that finish is fantastic! I wish I could find an LP with a finish as nice as that.

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-27 19:25:35

At 3/27/12 06:48 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 3/27/12 05:32 PM, SineRider wrote: One of my many guitars. It's nothing special, but I tend to use it for pretty much everything I do
That's definitely something special, that finish is fantastic! I wish I could find an LP with a finish as nice as that.

Oh yeah I really love the finish on it. I oughta clean it up better though. Here is the rest of my stringed instruments I have with me. Missing are my steel string acoustic, my ibanez prestige, and ESP f-50

Guitarists

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-28 13:00:46

At 3/27/12 07:25 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 3/27/12 06:48 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
Oh yeah I really love the finish on it. I oughta clean it up better though. Here is the rest of my stringed instruments I have with me. Missing are my steel string acoustic, my ibanez prestige, and ESP f-50

+10 points for the black Ibanez starter bass I've played from multiple owners. I love that starter bass.

Also mandolin.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-28 15:26:36

At 3/28/12 01:14 PM, LaForge wrote: ever since i started recording, i've been getting a strange fuzziness that seems to hover over my tone. i've changed computers, guitars, pups, recording implements, amps, DAWs and VSTs, but not a thing seems to change. does anyone understand this cause I don't.

When you mess around with a lot of distortion you get that, it's just how it works. Probably invest in a noise suppressor like the Boss NS2 if it bothers you.

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-28 15:34:45

At 3/28/12 01:00 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: +10 points for the black Ibanez starter bass I've played from multiple owners. I love that starter bass.

Also mandolin.

Haha awwh yeah. I actually got it from my brother years ago. It's the only bass I own, but it still plays nicely.

Mandolin as well as Ukulele and Guitalele ;)

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-28 16:39:48

At 3/28/12 01:14 PM, LaForge wrote: hello fellow geetar people. i has ein question.

ever since i started recording, i've been getting a strange fuzziness that seems to hover over my tone. i've changed computers, guitars, pups, recording implements, amps, DAWs and VSTs, but not a thing seems to change. does anyone understand this cause I don't.

What kind of amp are you using and what are the settings? Because the putting a noise gate on that isn't going to make the "fuzzies" go away. You need to list what you're doing to get your sound.

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-30 00:55:47

At 3/28/12 03:34 PM, SineRider wrote: Mandolin as well as Ukulele and Guitalele ;)

Ukes are so boring though!

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-03-30 07:34:45

At 3/30/12 12:55 AM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
At 3/28/12 03:34 PM, SineRider wrote: Mandolin as well as Ukulele and Guitalele ;)

Nah man ukes are cool. Get a very specific sound that also happens to get a lot of pussy surprisingly.

Response to Guitarists 2012-04-12 22:53:51

At 3/30/12 12:55 AM, ToastedCupcake wrote:

Only if they aren't electric ones, like mine. It gets so much street cred.

Response to Guitarists 2012-04-13 07:59:42

So I don't know who all here likes Nevermore or just Jeff Loomis in general. But I met the man last night and he's definitely one very cool and awesome guitar player. Really laid back and easy to talk to.