PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 06:25 PM, Oolaph wrote: lol

Ever heard of arpeggios? Shit's addictive.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 06:42 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Ever heard of arpeggios? Shit's addictive.

And what are arpeggios? The notes in a chord played individually.

Yeah. Chords are for noobs, eh?

Album of the Week Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (1970) | Movie of the Week Wings of Desire (1987)

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 07:59 PM Reply

At 6/26/11 07:20 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
At 6/26/11 04:18 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 6/26/11 03:35 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Too bad unless your guitar is designed for it, you lose a lot of the tone your instrument originally has when the strings are falling off the fretboard. The lowest I go is Drop C.
Don't know much about tension do ya.
?

The lower the tuning is, the lower the tension is on the strings. AKA strings are falling off the fretboard...not sure what I'm not getting.

I meant that by putting thicker strings on you can keep the tension reasonable at lower tunings.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 09:02 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 07:05 PM, Oolaph wrote: And what are arpeggios? The notes in a chord played individually.

Yeah. Chords are for noobs, eh?

Are you slow or just trying to provoke me?

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 09:02 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Are you slow or just trying to provoke me?

No, I'm now playing with you because of your ridiculous statements over how a person should practice guitar. Some people enjoy changing tunings and finding new ways to play, you don't. We get that, but I don't want to have to deal with you saying it's immature and pointless when it's really not.

And then you made the statement saying that chords are for noobs, and that's so stupid I'm not even going to begin arguing with it.

Guitar playing isn't just about playing scales and arpeggios. Quit taking things so seriously.

Album of the Week Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (1970) | Movie of the Week Wings of Desire (1987)

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 05:27 AM Reply

At 6/27/11 09:34 PM, Oolaph wrote: No, I'm now playing with you because of your ridiculous statements over how a person should practice guitar.

Now you're just misunderstanding everything. How a person should practice guitar? I'm merely trying to save the world hundreds, if not billions of precious hours of time that would be otherwise be wasted on this guitar phase. Now, if you actually know theory and see some potential in trying out a scale that isn't based on just dropping or raising the pitch of a standard tuning, then go wild. Keep in mind though, switching between scales is sort of like switching between Operating Systems based on different Kernels - whatever you do on one, it can't be transitioned to the other.

We get that, but I don't want to have to deal with you saying it's immature and pointless when it's really not.

Once again, when did I say that it's immature? In a legal trial the judge would have already kicked you out of the court room for presenting false information.

And then you made the statement saying that chords are for noobs, and that's so stupid I'm not even going to begin arguing with it.

I'll admit that I only said that to piss you off, and it worked brilliantly.

Guitar playing isn't just about playing scales and arpeggios.

It sort of is... unless you have an acoustic, then it's all cool.

Quit taking things so seriously.

NO, U. I refuse to, I would become boring and generic otherwise.

Guitarists

BBS Signature
estrago1
estrago1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 03:06 PM Reply

I've probably posted here before, but I don't want to take the time to find that post. So here goes:

1. Guitar: I switch between a 2003 Squier Affinity Strat and a 2008 Squier SP Strat
2. Favorite Bands: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Velvet Underground, The Grateful Dead
3. I've been playing for about 5 years

I'm curious: how many people here play by ear?

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 03:06 PM, estrago1 wrote: I'm curious: how many people here play by ear?

I have perfect pitch... it's hard not to.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 05:55 PM, Twone wrote:
At 6/28/11 03:06 PM, estrago1 wrote: I'm curious: how many people here play by ear?
I have perfect pitch... it's hard not to.

Ooh alright Mr. Fancy Pants look at you.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 06:50 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 05:55 PM, Twone wrote: I have perfect pitch... it's hard not to.

I did a test once, I forgot where it was but it said that I had 72% of perfect pitch. It was essentially an online test where it played random notes and you had to identify them correctly.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 06:52 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 06:50 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 6/28/11 05:55 PM, Twone wrote: I have perfect pitch... it's hard not to.
I did a test once, I forgot where it was but it said that I had 72% of perfect pitch. It was essentially an online test where it played random notes and you had to identify them correctly.

Surely you can't have 72% perfect pitch, then it's not perfect.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 07:04 PM Reply

I thought perfect pitch was more a of a "either you have it or you don't" kind of thing.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 06:52 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Surely you can't have 72% perfect pitch, then it's not perfect.

Thanks captain obvious but once again you didn't give all your love to my post when reading. I said 72% of perfect pitch, perfect pitch referring to of course, 100%, perfect hearing.

At 6/28/11 07:04 PM, SineRider wrote: I thought perfect pitch was more a of a "either you have it or you don't" kind of thing.

Not true, you can train your ears. It's nice if you're born with it but that's not common.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 07:04 PM, SineRider wrote: I thought perfect pitch was more a of a "either you have it or you don't" kind of thing.
Not true, you can train your ears. It's nice if you're born with it but that's not common.

Right, I've taken an ear training class before. But I'm sort of curious if you can obtain "perfect pitch" status just from ear training.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 08:28 PM, SineRider wrote: Right, I've taken an ear training class before. But I'm sort of curious if you can obtain "perfect pitch" status just from ear training.

Yes. It's just a matter of being able to identify every note every time. It's definitely do'able.

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 28th, 2011 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 6/28/11 06:41 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Ooh alright Mr. Fancy Pants look at you.

My pants are nothing fancy

At 6/28/11 07:54 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Not true, you can train your ears. It's nice if you're born with it but that's not common.

You can train yourself to have really good relative pitch, but never *perfect.* I think everyone is able to train their ears, but not everyone can have perfect pitch if trained.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 29th, 2011 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 6/28/11 07:54 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Thanks captain obvious but once again you didn't give all your love to my post when reading.

That's because your posts are shit.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 29th, 2011 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 6/29/11 08:04 AM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 6/28/11 07:54 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Thanks captain obvious but once again you didn't give all your love to my post when reading.
That's because your posts are shit.

You finish crying? I don't want to start arguments here and make you a sad panda.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 29th, 2011 @ 03:01 PM Reply

I got a DD7 and PS6 today, so now I'm running 2 delays together. Shit sounds fucking awesome as fuck man.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Guitarists Jun. 30th, 2011 @ 08:52 AM Reply

Hating life when I get my guitar in perfect tune and someone ruins it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 30th, 2011 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 6/30/11 08:52 AM, FurryDemon wrote: Hating life when I get my guitar in perfect tune and someone ruins it.

That's what happens when you don't have a locking nut. Last time I tuned my guitar, it was December... of 2010. Has been in perfect tuning since then.

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 30th, 2011 @ 02:26 PM Reply

I want to get a Peavey Valveking, is it a good choice?

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 30th, 2011 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 6/30/11 02:10 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 6/30/11 08:52 AM, FurryDemon wrote: Hating life when I get my guitar in perfect tune and someone ruins it.
That's what happens when you don't have a locking nut. Last time I tuned my guitar, it was December... of 2010. Has been in perfect tuning since then.

On my guitar that has a locking nut I need to adjust the lowest string by about an 1/8th of a turn on the fine tuners every month or so. I'm going to block the tremelo soon though because I don't like it, and just keep the locks for the tuning stability.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 30th, 2011 @ 03:01 PM Reply

At 6/30/11 02:40 PM, SomaGuye wrote: On my guitar that has a locking nut I need to adjust the lowest string by about an 1/8th of a turn on the fine tuners every month or so. I'm going to block the tremelo soon though because I don't like it, and just keep the locks for the tuning stability.

Either you play a lot or your saddle screw/block for the E-string has become worn out and now allows for slippage to occur. I have a licensed (AKA, not an original but an inferior version) of a OFR and it's holding up like a champ. I just need to order a new saddle block but it's hard to find them in Poland due to how expensive guitars they are here and a lot of sites don't ship to Europe... which is stupid considering how awesome this continent is.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jul. 1st, 2011 @ 08:16 AM Reply

Man I love Bill Bailey.

TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jul. 1st, 2011 @ 08:41 AM Reply

At 6/30/11 02:26 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I want to get a Peavey Valveking, is it a good choice?

Help!

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jul. 1st, 2011 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 7/1/11 08:41 AM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote:
At 6/30/11 02:26 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I want to get a Peavey Valveking, is it a good choice?
Help!

Generic statement about you trying out amps to see which you prefer most.

TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jul. 1st, 2011 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 7/1/11 02:06 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 7/1/11 08:41 AM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote:
Help!
Generic statement about you trying out amps to see which you prefer most.

Ok... anyway, guys check out this jam I recorded today. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 30960

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jul. 1st, 2011 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 7/1/11 02:34 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Ok... anyway, guys check out this jam I recorded today. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 30960

Sounds like you're just going up and down a D-Minor scale and bending random notes. Other than that, cool.

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jul. 1st, 2011 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 7/1/11 04:12 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 7/1/11 02:34 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Ok... anyway, guys check out this jam I recorded today. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 30960
Sounds like you're just going up and down a D-Minor scale and bending random notes. Other than that, cool.

Yeah, I was just having fun in D-minor, I didn't really composed anything.

BBS Signature