New Topic Respond to this Topic
flowertheskunk
flowertheskunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 17th, 2011 @ 12:16 PM Reply

A random yamaha acoustic (its cheap, but pretty decent)

Fave band changes pretty much day to day,but right now its the gorillaz

aaand ive been playing for like 4 years. (mainly classical stuff)

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Guitarists Jun. 17th, 2011 @ 01:53 PM Reply

At 6/16/11 09:46 PM, Twone wrote:
At 6/16/11 08:36 PM, Racoonmario wrote: So uh, is playing guitar difficult? How long did it take you folks to become proficient at it?
Yeah, it's difficult, just like any other instrument. I've been playing close to 4 years now (self taught, with a little help from my brother) and I'd say I'm pretty good, but I'm not anything super special.

Pretty much this. Like any instrument you have to dedicate yourself to it and actually bother to practice. I've been playing guitar for like a year now and I'm still on reasonably beginner stuff (I'm getting to that point where I start caring about the equipment I use and realize how shitty the hire out equipment I'm using is lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Guitarists Jun. 17th, 2011 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 6/17/11 01:53 PM, FurryDemon wrote:
At 6/16/11 09:46 PM, Twone wrote:
At 6/16/11 08:36 PM, Racoonmario wrote: So uh, is playing guitar difficult? How long did it take you folks to become proficient at it?
Yeah, it's difficult, just like any other instrument. I've been playing close to 4 years now (self taught, with a little help from my brother) and I'd say I'm pretty good, but I'm not anything super special.
Pretty much this. Like any instrument you have to dedicate yourself to it and actually bother to practice. I've been playing guitar for like a year now and I'm still on reasonably beginner stuff (I'm getting to that point where I start caring about the equipment I use and realize how shitty the hire out equipment I'm using is lol)

Oh yeah and I'd recommend playing bass guitar but thats up to you. Not enough bass guitarists though I reckon. Too many people rush into guitar and don't put effort into it and don't realize that you can't have a band with like four guitarists lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Acoustatic
Acoustatic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 19th, 2011 @ 06:14 PM Reply

My electric is a shitty standard strat but I love it like the ugly baby it is<3 my acoustic is a Seagull S6 Original and is the sexiest woman on the planet.

Favorite band of all time is Terminal (the one with Travis Bryant in it); their first and only album is one of the first I ever bought and it's what really got me into creating and listening to music.

As long as I can remember there's always been a beginner acoustic laying around my house and I would always mess with it and be in awe at it's gorgeous noises. Legitimate playing though, I would say 3 years or so.
Below is my gorgeous Isabella the first day she came into my life.

Guitarists

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 20th, 2011 @ 06:18 AM Reply

At 6/19/11 06:14 PM, Acoustatic wrote: Below is my gorgeous Isabella the first day she came into my life.

Naming guitars is for fags dude get a life.

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 20th, 2011 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 6/20/11 06:18 AM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 6/19/11 06:14 PM, Acoustatic wrote: Below is my gorgeous Isabella the first day she came into my life.
Naming guitars is for fags dude get a life.

Hahahaha I was also hoping someone mentioned something about that so I didn't have to.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 21st, 2011 @ 04:43 AM Reply

At 6/20/11 07:27 PM, Bees wrote: fuck that i named my guitar cherry

I got bad news for you then.

Guitarists

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 21st, 2011 @ 05:39 PM Reply

If I was going to name one of my guitars I wouldn't go with these gay female names.

I'd call it something cool like Shreddy McBuzzsaw.

Tban
Tban
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 21st, 2011 @ 11:16 PM Reply

I have a gibson sg black and I have been playing for i think 2 years now
Well. My favorite guitarist is a guy called Benice. I don't know if you guys like
It but I think it's cool

Tban
Tban
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 21st, 2011 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 6/16/11 07:19 PM, Twone wrote: man I really like your guitar how long have you had it

At 6/16/11 08:22 AM, Sawdust wrote: Wow. Seems like I'm the only non-shredder here.
I like doing both. In fact, sometimes I enjoy not shredding more often than shredding.

At 6/16/11 12:00 PM, SineRider wrote: Here is my shredding my ass off on my new guitar.
Not bad. I'm not a fan of B.C. Rich but it's pretty cool.

And, unrelated, here's a pic of me and my recently acquired Parker Fly Classic. <3
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 21st, 2011 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Yo bros, what do you think of my demo?

still needs bass, but i'm out of a bass at the moment
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:14 AM Reply

At 6/21/11 11:19 PM, Tban wrote: man I really like your guitar how long have you had it

About two weeks

BBS Signature
Parkour131
Parkour131
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Guitarists Jun. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Guitar: Les Paul
Play/Learning Time: 2 years
Favourite Band: Rise Against

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 12:19 PM, Bees wrote: how often do you guys dick around in different tunings?

after having standard gauge strings, a few weeks ago i put 56s on my SG, little did i know they can't tune to standard, or maybe they can but i don't want to risk breaking a string cause i don't have any spares in this gauge.

They do tune to standard without breaking don't worry about that.

I like to play with tunings, like AGCFAD, AEAEAC, BFBEbFB, fun stuff.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 12:19 PM, Bees wrote: how often do you guys dick around in different tunings?

I did that when I was dumb and curious, aka when I was 14.... nearly 7 years ago. It's a waste of time, energy, money, patience and it doesn't teach you anything. Stick to Standard or D Standard if you want to sound angry.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 03:46 PM, PolishMatt wrote: It's a waste of time, energy, money, patience and it doesn't teach you anything. Stick to Standard or D Standard if you want to sound angry.

No it's not. Using different tunings can give a guitar different tones, brings new sounds and chords to the player, and can be a fun and interesting experience. It can help teach you the relativity of notes and gives you a new look on the guitar and how it's played. Playing with tunings is a great thing to do and is a very interesting experience.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 05:09 PM, Oolaph wrote: Using different tunings can give a guitar different tones,

ok?

brings new sounds and chords to the player

Not really.

and can be a fun and interesting experience.

If you're drunk/bored and don't want to practice.

It can help teach you the relativity of notes

I'll give you that.

and gives you a new look on the guitar and how it's played.

Sure, if you're high on LSD.

Playing with tunings is a great thing to do and is a very interesting experience.

Wank wank wank.

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 03:46 PM, PolishMatt wrote: I did that when I was dumb and curious, aka when I was 14.... nearly 7 years ago. It's a waste of time, energy, money, patience and it doesn't teach you anything. Stick to Standard or D Standard if you want to sound angry.

Although I do agree that it doesn't teach you anything, but playing with tunings can get you some cool sounding chords too hard to reach in a standard tuning.

I like to play with mostly standard, D standard, and Drop C, but not really anything else.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 07:05 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Wank wank wank.

Non experimentation leads to guitarists like Slash.

Is that what you want?

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 07:05 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
brings new sounds and chords to the player
Not really.

It allows you to play chords that would otherwise be near impossible to finger using standard tuning.

and can be a fun and interesting experience.
If you're drunk/bored and don't want to practice.

Or if you're into song writing and want to be creative.

and gives you a new look on the guitar and how it's played.
Sure, if you're high on LSD.

Or if you've only played in standard before, which is the case for many, many people.

Playing with tunings is a great thing to do and is a very interesting experience.
Wank wank wank

Wonk wonk.

BBS Signature
ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 26th, 2011 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 05:09 PM, Oolaph wrote: No it's not. Using different tunings can give a guitar different tones, brings new sounds and chords to the player

Too bad unless your guitar is designed for it, you lose a lot of the tone your instrument originally has when the strings are falling off the fretboard. The lowest I go is Drop C.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists Jun. 26th, 2011 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 6/26/11 03:35 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Too bad unless your guitar is designed for it, you lose a lot of the tone your instrument originally has when the strings are falling off the fretboard. The lowest I go is Drop C.

Don't know much about tension do ya.

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 26th, 2011 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 6/26/11 04:18 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 6/26/11 03:35 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Too bad unless your guitar is designed for it, you lose a lot of the tone your instrument originally has when the strings are falling off the fretboard. The lowest I go is Drop C.
Don't know much about tension do ya.

?

The lower the tuning is, the lower the tension is on the strings. AKA strings are falling off the fretboard...not sure what I'm not getting.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 26th, 2011 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 6/25/11 07:56 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Non experimentation leads to guitarists like Slash.

That's not experimentation. That's being drunk at 2AM and trying to find something to kill the time before you pass out. Experimentation would be fooling around with scales and chords, then figuring out what works with each other.

At 6/25/11 10:10 PM, Oolaph wrote: It allows you to play chords that would otherwise be near impossible to finger using standard tuning.

Now you're talking about exotic tunings. Chords are for noobs anyways.

Or if you're into song writing and want to be creative.

Spilled my tea there.

Or if you've only played in standard before, which is the case for many, many people.

Hardly the case with me. I'm being a dick because I gone through this phase, I know what I'm talking about and I have experience.

At 6/26/11 04:18 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Don't know much about tension do ya.

Don't know much about guitars with scale lengths other than 25.5", do ya... or guitars with floating-bridges.

I can't tune my guitar to anything other than standard or Drop D without having to flip my guitar around, open up it's bridge cavity and then release hell upon it for the next hour or two, trying to readjust the springs so the tension would be appropriate for the tuning that I'm changing it to. Extremely annoying and I don't think it's a defect, more or less a way to teach people to stfu and stick to Standard.

The amount of things I can do with a floating-bridge outpoints the convenience of playing in different tunings.

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 01:35 AM Reply

At 6/26/11 08:48 PM, PolishMatt wrote: The amount of things I can do with a floating-bridge outpoints the convenience of playing in different tunings.

This is mostly why I don't dick around with tunings too much. Both my electrics have floating bridges.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 6/27/11 01:35 AM, Twone wrote: Both my electrics have floating bridges.

Real floating bridges as a FRO or one of those half-baked, clumsy and pathetic ones that is found on a Stratocaster?

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 10:14 AM, PolishMatt wrote: Real floating bridges as a FRO or one of those half-baked, clumsy and pathetic ones that is found on a Stratocaster?

One of them is a Floyd Rose Original and the other is the Parker Fly bridge with a step-stop, allowing floating or fixed positions.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 6/26/11 08:48 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Hardly the case with me. I'm being a dick because I gone through this phase, I know what I'm talking about and I have experience.

Yes, I've gone through the phase too, you're not impressing anyone by saying that you're 'over it'. It's a fun and interesting thing to do and it doesn't harm anyone. Many different talented artists used different tunings when they had been playing for 20+ years, it isn't just some fun little thing you get too old for.

It's not immature, it's not idiotic, and it's a good way to be creative with what you have instead of just playing different scales over and over again.

At 6/26/11 08:48 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Chords are for noobs anyways.

lol

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 06:25 PM, Oolaph wrote: lol

Ever heard of arpeggios? Shit's addictive.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists Jun. 27th, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 6/27/11 06:42 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Ever heard of arpeggios? Shit's addictive.

And what are arpeggios? The notes in a chord played individually.

Yeah. Chords are for noobs, eh?

BBS Signature