New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 08:26 AM Reply

Possibly the most satisfying moment of my gaming life. I beat Metroid.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 10:25 AM Reply

At 7/27/13 03:50 AM, Makeshift wrote: shalalalalalalala

Forget about it man, you don't need those games, specially if you've got some shit in the steam sale. Get some emulators to keep you going. Just focus on what you have and stop reading whatever site you get your game news from. Ignoring new games is easy~

Although f I had a little under $200 I'd buy an Xgaming arcade stick, some MDF, a second hand 19 inch screen and build an arcade cabinet.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 7/27/13 08:26 AM, Dean wrote: Possibly the most satisfying moment of my gaming life. I beat Metroid.

That's nothing, try Faxanadu! (NES)

Congrats, especially if you didn't use a guide.
At 7/27/13 03:50 AM, Makeshift wrote: Shadowrun Returns just came out a couple days ago and that looks really good.

Snag Rayman Legends when it drops in price and I could reasonably suggest paying full for GTAV. The rest of the games/DLC you listed I personally would ignore. If the budget gets tight, raise your standards, I guess.

As for Shadowrun Returns, pirate it first because there have been really mixed opinions. If you enjoyed the SNES game then you'll probably get your money's worth but better safe than sorry. Plays like a turn based tactics game. Beware the save system is terribly implemented and the story is linear as fuck. You also have to literally pull hairs/jump through hoops to get the game to tell you backstory on the characters, due to the way the dialogue tree works. Very limited replayability options as compared to previous installments as well. Treasures can be lost forever and builds don't really offer that high customization anymore. They watered down the RPG elements too heavily and the late game felt rushed. No emphasis on cover or stealth anymore, there's seriously no reason to even bother, poor game balancing. Nailed the cyberpunk Blade Runner esque *Shadowrun* aesthetic though.

There are references to the past game(s) which I found brilliant. See if you can spot them. The community has an opportunity to make some fantastic mods and I'm definitely gonna be on the lookout in the future.

*Spoilers*
I played on the hardest difficulty (not because I'm elitist, but more or less masochistic) and holy shit some of the missions are damn good, others fall short though. One in particular has you investigating this insane cult and you infiltrate their home base via back door, find some girl imprisoned (whom you rescue) she then proceeds to hack into some matrix to open doors to allow us to escape. The entire time the leader was spewing some garbled nonsense about shedding humanity.
*/Spoilers*

Solid game, but flawed. 6/10. With spit shine, polish, and a few hundred hours more of work it could have been something really special, wasted potential. Feels more like a cash in with the SR name slapped on.

Bring your nuclear weapons boys.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 10:25 AM, Jackho wrote: Forget about it man, you don't need those games, specially if you've got some shit in the steam sale. Get some emulators to keep you going. Just focus on what you have and stop reading whatever site you get your game news from. Ignoring new games is easy~

It's like I'm addicted to buying a game on day one. It makes the game so much more exciting for me. I have no idea why. I should be able to avoid most of the stuff I want, but The Bureau is like a dream game for me. XCOM with the ability to fight in a real time 3rd person shooter mode sounds awesome.

Yeah, so many games to play it's hard to commit to one. With emulators I'm going to have so many more options and I wonder if I'll ever finish anything. I'll probably just keep moving on to another game after a few minutes. I suck. Wish my SNES didn't blow up. I was actually into FF2 and Mega Man X.

Although f I had a little under $200 I'd buy an Xgaming arcade stick, some MDF, a second hand 19 inch screen and build an arcade cabinet.

I wish a wasn't so interested in newer games...

At 7/27/13 11:09 AM, Elixur wrote: Snag Rayman Legends when it drops in price and I could reasonably suggest paying full for GTAV. The rest of the games/DLC you listed I personally would ignore. If the budget gets tight, raise your standards, I guess.

Well, the thing is, my budget isn't really tight. I'm just considering saving some of the money for later. I probably will hold off on Rayman, and there's no way I'm waiting for GTA V. In fact I think I'll attend my first midnight release since I'll be living in a city by then. I'm sure it will be shitty, but I've never gone to one so I'll see for myself.

Solid game, but flawed. 6/10. With spit shine, polish, and a few hundred hours more of work it could have been something really special, wasted potential. Feels more like a cash in with the SR name slapped on.

I've checked out some videos and it seems worth it for $20. The story and aesthetics really appeal to me and yeah, I don't think I'd feel ripped off at $20 if it turns out just average.

IN THE NEWS :::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So Phil Fish cancelled Fez II after telling some guy to kill himself via Twitter. He's fucking insane.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 04:06 PM, Makeshift wrote:
IN THE NEWS :::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So Phil Fish cancelled Fez II after telling some guy to kill himself via Twitter. He's fucking insane.

HEY LOOK AT ME CONTROVERSY

BY THE WAY FEZ IS ON SALE, GO BUY IT ON STEAM

ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I like Fez, but the creator is a fucking dumbass.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 04:19 PM, Elixur wrote: I like Fez, but the creator is a fucking dumbass.

Yeah, it's one of my favourite games ever and he's one of my least favourite people.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 04:34 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 7/27/13 04:19 PM, Elixur wrote: I like Fez, but the creator is a fucking dumbass.
Yeah, it's one of my favourite games ever and he's one of my least favourite people.

Even Notch is mocking him!

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 06:29 PM, Elixur wrote:
At 7/27/13 04:34 PM, Makeshift wrote:
Even Notch is mocking him!

Phil's Twitter pic is Andy Kaufman... maybe that's some form of symbolism and he's going to fake his suicide then Fez 2 will show up on Steam the next day.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 07:58 PM Reply

Today I beat Intrusion 2 and Sword & Sworcery EP. Sworcery was alright, but Intrusion is a fucking genius masterpiece that everyone should play.

At 7/27/13 04:06 PM, Makeshift wrote: So Phil Fish cancelled Fez II after telling some guy to kill himself via Twitter. He's fucking insane.

After googling around a bit it seems the guy (Michael Beer, from gametrailers?) has been constantly insulting Phil and John Blow after they dissed game journalism in general after e3. Small time celebrity drama sure is fun huh.

Every time I've heard Phil Fish's name its because he did something dickish though. Insulting people for wanting to play his game and the like. Glad I never bought Fez.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 28th, 2013 @ 08:45 AM Reply

At 7/27/13 07:58 PM, Jackho wrote: Every time I've heard Phil Fish's name its because he did something dickish though.

He's featured quite heavily on Indie Game: The Movie and he came across as a massive twat in that.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 28th, 2013 @ 11:43 PM Reply

I have a question about Dragon's Dogma. How do I know who has become my love interest when doing Deny Salvation? I just saw on YouTube the cutscene where the dragon flies off and I had heard he carries away your love interest, but I didn't see anyone.

So how do I know? I made sure to lower the affinity of everyone I could think of, but I'm not sure if I got everyone. I maxed out Mercedes' affinity before she was taken out of the game world. That's who I'm going for.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
malachi117
malachi117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 04:15 AM Reply

So just now, about 2 maybe 3 hours into a Civ: V match with Kunera, where I was slowly working us towards a cultural victory for the first time ever. I'm pumped up to like 200+ Culture per turn, We've not really fought with anyone and we've put some serious effort in.

Fuckin' Steam goes down.

God. Fucking. Dammit.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:
360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 04:18 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 04:15 AM, malachi117 wrote: God. Fucking. Dammit.

It would be the one involved match that we didn't flatten the bots instantly. It really would be.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
malachi117
malachi117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 04:20 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 04:18 AM, Kunera wrote:
At 7/30/13 04:15 AM, malachi117 wrote: God. Fucking. Dammit.
It would be the one involved match that we didn't flatten the bots instantly. It really would be.

Steam was telling me I need to always play Japan and crush everyone with my military might clearly.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:
360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 04:25 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 04:20 AM, malachi117 wrote: Steam was telling me I need to always play Japan and crush everyone with my military might clearly.

Never mind the fact that it was literally right when I sent some troops all the way across the ocean to help you deal with Egypt. We're retarded and need to save more often.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 12:56 PM Reply

Bioshock Infinite DLC was just announced and I won't be able to play it because 2K took my fucking game out of my Steam library. I bought it off some dude on Reddit, so I guess he must have gotten the code in some shady way. But without warning, without giving me any hint that it was happening, 2K took away the game from me.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 7/28/13 11:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I have a question about Dragon's Dogma. How do I know who has become my love interest when doing Deny Salvation? I just saw on YouTube the cutscene where the dragon flies off and I had heard he carries away your love interest, but I didn't see anyone.

So how do I know? I made sure to lower the affinity of everyone I could think of, but I'm not sure if I got everyone. I maxed out Mercedes' affinity before she was taken out of the game world. That's who I'm going for.

I'm just about to do this quest, probably tonight. Does anybody know? I think Mercedes is the only person other than Aelinore who has gotten that pink aura, but I dunno how many people could have had that chime that happens when you talk to them cuz I tend to play with the volume low while listening to Jay and Silent Bob Get Old (I pause the podcast and turn up the volume when something is happening). I only just noticed this past weekend that Caxton had it. I did the sheath/unsheath method on everyone I could think of so far except Ser Maximillian because I haven't yet gotten to him. I'll be sure to get to him, though. But I can't seem to do this to Fournival when he's sitting at his table. I hope I can find him standing up.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 7/30/13 02:19 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm just about to do this quest, probably tonight. Does anybody know?

Try to find the person you want it to be or think it is. If Grigori has taken them they won't be where they are supposed to be.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 7/30/13 02:27 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 7/30/13 02:19 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm just about to do this quest, probably tonight. Does anybody know?
Try to find the person you want it to be or think it is. If Grigori has taken them they won't be where they are supposed to be.

Well, Mercedes is already taken out of the game world when you complete Pride Before a Fall, so that's out for me. Unless she's supposed to come back at some point?

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 7/30/13 02:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/30/13 02:27 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Well, Mercedes is already taken out of the game world when you complete Pride Before a Fall, so that's out for me. Unless she's supposed to come back at some point?

Not unless she is your Beloved, so I guess if that's who you're after you can't really tell until you go fight Grigori.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:19 PM Reply

Steam sure knows how to get money out of me. Yesterday Fallout 3 and New Vegas were at 75% off and despite owning both on Xbox 360 I decided I wanted to get PC copies. Turned out to be worth it though because I never really enjoyed New Vegas when I was playing it on Xbox but for some reason I'm loving it on PC. It just handles better or something. I don't know.

Now Steam has put the Elder Scrolls series on sale. I don't have any interest in getting Skyrim on Steam (too expensive and probably requires a better PC than mine anyway) but Morrowind and Oblivion are tempting me. I've been wanting to play the Oblivion DLC for years but it was always so expensive on Xbox. Already have a physical copy of the Morrowind GOTYE but even still I'm tempted to get it on Steam. Means I don't have to bother about discs.

The Steam summer sale kinda got me interested in PC gaming after I realised that my laptop, which only has Intel HD 3000 graphics, can actually handle more advanced games than I thought. I know Fallout 3 and New Vegas are a few years old now but I didn't actually think Intel graphics would be up to playing big games like those. Kinda weird how old games that I already own on Xbox 360 are making me want to become more of a PC gamer...

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 4th, 2013 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 8/3/13 09:19 PM, Dean wrote: Steam sure knows how to get money out of me. Yesterday Fallout 3 and New Vegas were at 75% off and despite owning both on Xbox 360 I decided I wanted to get PC copies. Turned out to be worth it though because I never really enjoyed New Vegas when I was playing it on Xbox but for some reason I'm loving it on PC. It just handles better or something. I don't know.

I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the console you played it on, maybe it just seems like a change from Fallout 3 that you didn't welcome at first? That's what it was like for me and I've only played it on the Xbox 360. That said, I still prefer 3...

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 5th, 2013 @ 06:10 AM Reply

At 8/4/13 11:15 PM, VoidForce wrote: I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the console you played it on, maybe it just seems like a change from Fallout 3 that you didn't welcome at first? That's what it was like for me and I've only played it on the Xbox 360. That said, I still prefer 3...

I'm starting to think that it's because in my previous attempts to play New Vegas, I was playing it just so that I could say I've beaten it. Let me explain some more. I have hundreds of video games sitting on a shelf behind me and every time I want to play a new game it takes me forever to settle on something because there are so many games I want to play. So usually I start a game all enthusiastically but after a while I find myself rushing so that I can move on to something else. I ended up doing that with New Vegas originally but Fallout games aren't the kind of games that you can rush through and enjoy, in my opinion. You need to spend some time playing them and take in all that there is to offer. That's what I'm doing this time and enjoying it a lot more.

*Some New Vegas spoilers, kinda*

Still don't really care much for the "who will you side with" part of the story. I can't decide if I want to side with the NCR, Mr. House or go independent. Usually I'd like that kind of decision because it makes me think but in this case there is no obvious option for me. I can't decide which would be, in my opinion, the best option. Right now I'm more inclined to side with Mr. House or go independent.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 5th, 2013 @ 09:18 AM Reply

At 8/5/13 06:10 AM, Dean wrote: *Some New Vegas spoilers, kinda*

Still don't really care much for the "who will you side with" part of the story. I can't decide if I want to side with the NCR, Mr. House or go independent. Usually I'd like that kind of decision because it makes me think but in this case there is no obvious option for me. I can't decide which would be, in my opinion, the best option. Right now I'm more inclined to side with Mr. House or go independent.

That's something that got to me a bit too about the game, I found it a lot harder to care. In 3, the one option always seemed like a good option regardless of the fact that you had to do it. In NV, there are so many negatives and so many positives that it's a lot harder to choose. I like having something to think about in my video games, but I don't like how politically focused the majority of the game is. I'd rather be off quests like helping out Marcus, screwing around in Black Mountain and such.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 9th, 2013 @ 10:47 PM Reply

Have a boatload of shit to do, so gonna keep this brief. I had previously stated in several threads I was excited for Zelda A Link Between Worlds (LTTP2) and just wanted to publicly retract my interest. The producer Aonuma, had outright admitted that they copy pasted the same world rather than starting fresh so it could be developed faster. (I don't have a link but Google is your friend, I'm not talking out of my ass) The artstyle is generic and an outright disgrace to the original. Boss AI, patterns and strategy to overcome are way too similar and now that the dust has settled, I've had time to really watch some gameplay and read interviews and it's shaping up to be a cash in on peoples' love for the SNES classic.

Pretty much a shitty, watered down remake/whatever the fuck. Uninspiring and pathetic. Don't be deceived and buy into the hype/name. Don't buy this game.

Tell me how this is acceptable and worth your hard earned money, please.

BBS Signature
Bryan
Bryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 10th, 2013 @ 03:06 AM Reply

At 8/9/13 10:47 PM, Elixur wrote: Tell me how this is acceptable and worth your hard earned money, please.

I can't help but feel this way about a lot of Nintendo's "remakes" nowadays. I guess because I'm not much of a Nintendo fan anymore. When I see that they're selling Ocarian of Time again on the 3DS (but in 3D!!) and they're selling the original on the virtual console at the same time, I can't help but feel that's a bit iffy. The only time I've ever bought a remake or revamp like that was Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and that was only because at that point I had never owned the original and also wanted to experience the online co-op. I completely agree with what you said though about the LTTP remake though, the original sprite version seems to have a lot more depth and style.

"Maybe thats why shes in film school. She wants to be an Artistic Autistic." -Viper50
"Everything else you said was mostly garbage and opinionated." -DangerousGirl

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 10th, 2013 @ 06:54 AM Reply

At 8/9/13 10:47 PM, Elixur wrote: Tell me how this is acceptable and worth your hard earned money, please.

Even just comparing those screenshots, the original look way better than the remake. I still haven't played A Link to the Past yet though. I don't have a SNES so I think my only option is to pick up a GBA copy that I can play through my GameCube. Unfortunately, not the asking price for that game is a little more than I'm willing to pay.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 10th, 2013 @ 08:22 AM Reply

At 8/9/13 10:47 PM, Elixur wrote: Have a boatload of shit to do, so gonna keep this brief. I had previously stated in several threads I was excited for Zelda A Link Between Worlds (LTTP2) and just wanted to publicly retract my interest.

From the video, I can see the animation is much more fluent and they added cool effects and everything. However, the art style itself looks horrible. It's generic indeed and doesn't contain much detail. The SNES version, which is 20 years older, actually looks better. That's just unforgivable in my opinion.

And yeah, if it's almost exactly the same game I see no reason to buy it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 10th, 2013 @ 08:59 AM Reply

Well that's disappointing. This was the first time I was actually excited for a Zelda game too.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Aug. 10th, 2013 @ 11:22 AM Reply

SNES version looks better than a version they had 20 years to consider..