New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 03:04:51 Reply

At 7/17/13 01:03 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: hmm I dunno. I'll think about it. What do you think are the most useful mystic knight skls?

The most useful skills to me anyway

Sword/mace:
Antler toss
Blink strike
Great magic canon: creates a giant orb that, when struck, fires of clusters of homing energy balls. Pretty nice against flying enemies.

Shield:
Abyssal Anguish: Enchants weapon with dark and adds a ripple/shockwave effect that basically turns one swing into like three.
Holy grace: Can convert blocked damage into health.
Holy Trance: Holy enchantment for self and party.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Mystic_Knight

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 03:27:10 Reply

Also, I don't just like MK for the moveset, but for the amazing weapon. In the DLC there's a mace that when upgraded, does 2000 base damage. Add that to strength and abyssal anguish and other buffs and I've been able to kill endbosses in seconds

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 12:24:10 Reply

Pretty good finds in Cash Converters (UK second hand chain) this week. Picked myself up Legend of Zelda for the NES for £12 and Super Mario World for SNES for £8. There were a few gems I didn't get because I'd spent enough. DK64 for £12, Super Mario All-Stars for £8 and a Dreamcast which looked near spotless compared to the old one in store which was yellowed beyond belief alongside Sonic Adventure.

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 12:39:36 Reply

I couldn't get into Dragons Dogma, I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't do anything for me, which is a shame because I enjoy the demo.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 13:02:13 Reply

My character is finally getting strong. He's level 43, now.

At 7/17/13 12:39 PM, iMini wrote: I couldn't get into Dragons Dogma, I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't do anything for me, which is a shame because I enjoy the demo.

That's too bad. It's one of my favorite games ever.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 14:47:50 Reply

At 7/15/13 01:08 PM, Auz wrote: Trials and Tribulations is the best one in my opinion. The first game is good too; its fifth case is probably my favourite case in the whole series.

I'll have to give them a go then. How are the other games, Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth or whatever?

I've been playing FTL and Metroid Prime. FTL is pretty frustrating because the rebel flagship is just so fucking hard, and the chances of getting a new ship are slim so every playthrough is pretty much the same. Prime is starting to get good now that I have several beams.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 16:09:46 Reply

At 7/17/13 02:47 PM, Jackho wrote: I've been playing FTL and Metroid Prime. FTL is pretty frustrating because the rebel flagship is just so fucking hard, and the chances of getting a new ship are slim so every playthrough is pretty much the same. Prime is starting to get good now that I have several beams.

You need to mod FTL to get the best experience. There's a few mods that fix a lot of the balancing issues.

I'm playing the Dishonored DLC after picking it up for $3 during the summer sale and it's very good. I wasn't expecting much, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot. Arkane just announced the next DLC for an August release so I'll pick that up for sure.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 17:52:38 Reply

At 7/17/13 04:09 PM, Makeshift wrote: You need to mod FTL to get the best experience. There's a few mods that fix a lot of the balancing issues.

Any mods you'd recommend? Mods for this game never even crossed my mind. I probably still try to beat it vanilla first though.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-17 21:29:50 Reply

At 7/17/13 05:52 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/17/13 04:09 PM, Makeshift wrote: You need to mod FTL to get the best experience. There's a few mods that fix a lot of the balancing issues.
Any mods you'd recommend? Mods for this game never even crossed my mind. I probably still try to beat it vanilla first though.

I can't find the mod I played... forget what it was called. It mainly changed the randomness of finding items and shops so you wouldn't end up with complete shit in some playthroughs. It also made the difficulty more gradual by the end of the game. There are some other cool mods I haven't tried that change the graphics and sometimes story in the game to be suited for things like Halo, Mass Effect, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-18 19:42:20 Reply

Here are some keys for the super poor out there. From The Humble Bundle Weekly Sale:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (Steam Key)
Indie Game: The Movie (Steam Key)

already have both
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-18 20:33:04 Reply

At 7/18/13 07:42 PM, Makeshift wrote: Here are some keys for the super poor out there. From The Humble Bundle Weekly Sale:

I bought the bundle earlier today. No idea why as usually I don't care for the bundles that aren't focused on games but I wanted to check out the music and I also wanted to watch Indie Game: The Movie.

Literally just got done watching the movie now. The credits are still rolling. If anyone hasn't seen this, I highly recommend it. It was just really cool to get a look into what life is like for the people developing these games that we've seen all over the internet. Sometimes I guess it's just hard to believe that games like that are made by one or two regular guys. Admittedly, they're regular guys who have a lot of passion and talent but still, it's sort of inspiring in a sense.

I've developed (shit) games in the past as projects for uni or whatever. I even started working on a game in my free time and gradually just lost interest in it. Now I kind of want to actually finish making a decent game. Well, decent by my standards. Convenient timing for that bundle to pop-up though, because the past few days I've actually been reading up on game programming type stuff most of the day, so this has sort of given me a bit of extra inspiration to actually make something.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-19 01:39:34 Reply

Well I recently got Deadpool and completed it. It was okay at best and I blasted through the campaign in about five to six hours. There are challenges afterwards, but I'm not even mildly interested in them. If you like the humor and style of Deadpool, then you're in for a treat.

Also just got myself a nice little below $600 gaming PC and I've yet to put it together, but along with the processor I got (AMD) it came with a deal for redeeming two games off of Steam, I believe. And I was surprised that they were actually decent games that I actually didn't own. Tomb Raider and Crysis 3. Can anyone tell me much about these two games?

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-20 05:44:22 Reply

Playing through a game I recently discovered called Kurovadis. Basically a Metroidvania with Rpg elements and a hentai presentation + eerie atmosphere and surprisingly fantastic music.

Kinda pumped for Shadowrun Returns, can't help feeling like they're gonna drop the ball though and change too much or neglect important mechanics such as ammo/inventory management, weapon modification, etc

Been incredibly busy this week and haven't posted much, hope everyone is still making progress on their backlogs.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-20 13:26:25 Reply

At 7/20/13 05:44 AM, Elixur wrote: Playing through a game I recently discovered called Kurovadis. Basically a Metroidvania with Rpg elements and a hentai presentation + eerie atmosphere and surprisingly fantastic music.

Do tell?

I've been slowly progressing on Jade Cocoon by the way, I'm determined to start 2 at some point during August. I WILL finish the first one soon!

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 11:35:39 Reply

So which do you guys prefer, Wolfenstein or Doom?

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 14:10:11 Reply

At 7/26/13 11:35 AM, darkjam wrote: So which do you guys prefer, Wolfenstein or Doom?

does anyone actually prefer Wolfenstein over Doom? It's literally the same but better. Doom or Quake would be a better question.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 14:29:03 Reply

does anyone actually prefer Wolfenstein over Doom? It's literally the same but better. Doom or Quake would be a better question.

Actually Quake or Unreal Tournament is a better question.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 15:34:18 Reply

At 7/26/13 02:29 PM, darkjam wrote:
Actually Quake or Unreal Tournament is a better question.

Quake wasn't focused on multiplayer until Quake III, the original Quake is very similar to Doom in every way.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 16:59:06 Reply

Quake wasn't focused on multiplayer until Quake III, the original Quake is very similar to Doom in every way.

I know but Quake or Unreal?

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 17:15:46 Reply

I've only played Quake 3, and that must have been at least ten years ago. I remember having fun with it, though.

The original UT and UT 3 are both fantastic multiplayer shooters.

I'd definitely choose Doom over Wolfenstein 3D. But I might like Duke Nukem 3D a bit more than Doom.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-26 21:29:18 Reply

Decided to play Metroid today. Made it to Mother Brain with not much trouble at all but this final battle is frustrating me now that I'm tired. My goal for tomorrow is to beat that game and post a photo of the ending screen as proof.

MUST BEAT THIS GAME!

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 03:50:51 Reply

I've got some serious decisions to make in August... I've got a little under $200 to spend freely, but I'd sort of like to set some money aside since I'm moving in August. I'll be living on my own... alone with my friend anyway. There are a lot of games coming up though and it'll be hard for me to avoid them when they come out. There's the big three on August 20: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (probably can't avoid getting this day one), Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Saints Row IV. I think I can hold off on Splinter Cell and Saints Row, but goddamn I'll think about getting them anyway. Then there's Dishonored DLC on August 13 which will be something like $10. I've already spent $12 on Rise of the Triad, which comes out next Wednesday. Shadowrun Returns just came out a couple days ago and that looks really good.

Then into September Rayman Legends comes out right away and later in the month GTA V. I've already got a shitload of games from the summer sale and even before that and I want a wired 360 controller, plus a mechanical keyboard too. I'm going to be paying rent and buying food next month and all I can think about is how to budget all the money I have on games...

Student loans though...

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 08:26:38 Reply

Possibly the most satisfying moment of my gaming life. I beat Metroid.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 10:25:32 Reply

At 7/27/13 03:50 AM, Makeshift wrote: shalalalalalalala

Forget about it man, you don't need those games, specially if you've got some shit in the steam sale. Get some emulators to keep you going. Just focus on what you have and stop reading whatever site you get your game news from. Ignoring new games is easy~

Although f I had a little under $200 I'd buy an Xgaming arcade stick, some MDF, a second hand 19 inch screen and build an arcade cabinet.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 11:09:56 Reply

At 7/27/13 08:26 AM, Dean wrote: Possibly the most satisfying moment of my gaming life. I beat Metroid.

That's nothing, try Faxanadu! (NES)

Congrats, especially if you didn't use a guide.
At 7/27/13 03:50 AM, Makeshift wrote: Shadowrun Returns just came out a couple days ago and that looks really good.

Snag Rayman Legends when it drops in price and I could reasonably suggest paying full for GTAV. The rest of the games/DLC you listed I personally would ignore. If the budget gets tight, raise your standards, I guess.

As for Shadowrun Returns, pirate it first because there have been really mixed opinions. If you enjoyed the SNES game then you'll probably get your money's worth but better safe than sorry. Plays like a turn based tactics game. Beware the save system is terribly implemented and the story is linear as fuck. You also have to literally pull hairs/jump through hoops to get the game to tell you backstory on the characters, due to the way the dialogue tree works. Very limited replayability options as compared to previous installments as well. Treasures can be lost forever and builds don't really offer that high customization anymore. They watered down the RPG elements too heavily and the late game felt rushed. No emphasis on cover or stealth anymore, there's seriously no reason to even bother, poor game balancing. Nailed the cyberpunk Blade Runner esque *Shadowrun* aesthetic though.

There are references to the past game(s) which I found brilliant. See if you can spot them. The community has an opportunity to make some fantastic mods and I'm definitely gonna be on the lookout in the future.

*Spoilers*
I played on the hardest difficulty (not because I'm elitist, but more or less masochistic) and holy shit some of the missions are damn good, others fall short though. One in particular has you investigating this insane cult and you infiltrate their home base via back door, find some girl imprisoned (whom you rescue) she then proceeds to hack into some matrix to open doors to allow us to escape. The entire time the leader was spewing some garbled nonsense about shedding humanity.
*/Spoilers*

Solid game, but flawed. 6/10. With spit shine, polish, and a few hundred hours more of work it could have been something really special, wasted potential. Feels more like a cash in with the SR name slapped on.

Bring your nuclear weapons boys.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 16:06:29 Reply

At 7/27/13 10:25 AM, Jackho wrote: Forget about it man, you don't need those games, specially if you've got some shit in the steam sale. Get some emulators to keep you going. Just focus on what you have and stop reading whatever site you get your game news from. Ignoring new games is easy~

It's like I'm addicted to buying a game on day one. It makes the game so much more exciting for me. I have no idea why. I should be able to avoid most of the stuff I want, but The Bureau is like a dream game for me. XCOM with the ability to fight in a real time 3rd person shooter mode sounds awesome.

Yeah, so many games to play it's hard to commit to one. With emulators I'm going to have so many more options and I wonder if I'll ever finish anything. I'll probably just keep moving on to another game after a few minutes. I suck. Wish my SNES didn't blow up. I was actually into FF2 and Mega Man X.

Although f I had a little under $200 I'd buy an Xgaming arcade stick, some MDF, a second hand 19 inch screen and build an arcade cabinet.

I wish a wasn't so interested in newer games...

At 7/27/13 11:09 AM, Elixur wrote: Snag Rayman Legends when it drops in price and I could reasonably suggest paying full for GTAV. The rest of the games/DLC you listed I personally would ignore. If the budget gets tight, raise your standards, I guess.

Well, the thing is, my budget isn't really tight. I'm just considering saving some of the money for later. I probably will hold off on Rayman, and there's no way I'm waiting for GTA V. In fact I think I'll attend my first midnight release since I'll be living in a city by then. I'm sure it will be shitty, but I've never gone to one so I'll see for myself.

Solid game, but flawed. 6/10. With spit shine, polish, and a few hundred hours more of work it could have been something really special, wasted potential. Feels more like a cash in with the SR name slapped on.

I've checked out some videos and it seems worth it for $20. The story and aesthetics really appeal to me and yeah, I don't think I'd feel ripped off at $20 if it turns out just average.

IN THE NEWS :::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So Phil Fish cancelled Fez II after telling some guy to kill himself via Twitter. He's fucking insane.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 16:19:53 Reply

At 7/27/13 04:06 PM, Makeshift wrote:
IN THE NEWS :::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So Phil Fish cancelled Fez II after telling some guy to kill himself via Twitter. He's fucking insane.

HEY LOOK AT ME CONTROVERSY

BY THE WAY FEZ IS ON SALE, GO BUY IT ON STEAM

ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I like Fez, but the creator is a fucking dumbass.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 16:34:38 Reply

At 7/27/13 04:19 PM, Elixur wrote: I like Fez, but the creator is a fucking dumbass.

Yeah, it's one of my favourite games ever and he's one of my least favourite people.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 18:29:51 Reply

At 7/27/13 04:34 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 7/27/13 04:19 PM, Elixur wrote: I like Fez, but the creator is a fucking dumbass.
Yeah, it's one of my favourite games ever and he's one of my least favourite people.

Even Notch is mocking him!

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-07-27 18:40:50 Reply

At 7/27/13 06:29 PM, Elixur wrote:
At 7/27/13 04:34 PM, Makeshift wrote:
Even Notch is mocking him!

Phil's Twitter pic is Andy Kaufman... maybe that's some form of symbolism and he's going to fake his suicide then Fez 2 will show up on Steam the next day.