00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,266 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:32:30

one step closer to youtube, eh?

good new feature anyway.

my furry stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:34:12

To be honest I liked the other one better.
Will probably get used to it though

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:42:48

Thats pretty cool

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:49:32

I really don't think that an autoplay option is a good idea. Spammers will make use of it to instantly spam the browser window with useless popups. They now can just swap the file once it passed judgement.
Also I hate auto play. I want to decide myself when the flash should start.
It really isn't that good if a big flash (like the street fighter collab for example) that takes ages to load (hey, internet in Europe isn't that fast!). Now I have to sit the whole loading bar to watch a big flash from the beginning. If I just go away and let the flash load then I might miss the beginning of it.

Also also, the pop up button doesn't seem to work in Opera. Nothing happens when I press it. The other buttons work fine, though.

To the layout itself: Well, it's different. I like that now the flash is so prominent on the page. Not the author, not the authors comments but the flash. That way people might just vote according to the quality of the flash and not look at the author, thinking "I don't like him -> 0!" or "a flash by clock crew will just pass no matter what I vote -> 5".
But it will take quite some time before I get used to it...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:50:05

I don't understand why the buttons for enlarging, opening in a pop-up and darkening the background have to be in FLASH :-/

Another thing is that after pressing the button to make the game/movie larger/smaller, I have to press "Back" as many times as I've pressed the button, so that I can go to the page last visited.

And lastly, when you are viewing "Chuck's New Tux", the "You might also enjoy..." caption doesn't appear - only the games.

Overall, the new layout is super and attractive - nothing more to say :D

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:51:34

I prefered the old layout...

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:57:00

Its OK Tom, but there are a few issues.

We know have to scroll even more to get to the voting part, people liked it where it was.
Effects the logo area and account stuff at the top, that should get effected even if it destroys a bit of the natural flow of the layout.

Maybe try to use the "lightbox" and do the wide layout stuff, I think itll be better.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 07:58:29

I must say this looks REALLY awkward and cluttered. Any way we can change back to the old one?

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:01:08

At 5/27/09 07:58 AM, Yiffy wrote: I must say this looks REALLY awkward and cluttered. Any way we can change back to the old one?

Definitely agree, as I stated above. Im done posting here for now, pce Tom and everyone.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:06:53

it's nice and all but, really the zoom option worries me, some artists intend their work to be viewed at a specifice size for quality issues, if you give the artists no control over this, it could potentially lower their scores by people viewing the movies in the wrong size...
Please give the artists the option to restrict the zoomy thing and it'll be alright ;)

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:13:38

Also it seems to render much and much better with firefox than with internet explorer. And there are two black bars at the bottom, probaly already reported.

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:17:43

Great job Tom! Its looks great and the original picture quality seems to still be intact. The only problem i've had so far is lag but, then again this is what a beta is for. Keep it up!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:25:21

3) An idea, similar to userpages, maybe the author should be able to arrange the page, except for the flash's position? Seeing that the authors are lower on the page and almost cut off, it'd kinda cool if we could move things around.

Yeah, I like your idea.

Anyways... great update, Tom!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:34:30

This is great. However, the layout is a little bit weird.

I think for pages that display like the Brackenwood page, the author comments should still go to the left of the movie, while the suggested viewing should still go below the fold. (See Illustration)

Wide Layout

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:36:11

At 5/27/09 08:06 AM, TheThingy5 wrote: it's nice and all but, really the zoom option worries me, some artists intend their work to be viewed at a specifice size for quality issues, if you give the artists no control over this, it could potentially lower their scores by people viewing the movies in the wrong size...
Please give the artists the option to restrict the zoomy thing and it'll be alright ;)

I agree with thethingy5 - I think this new layout has a lot of potential but needs some work. That zoom feature worries me as well; I've always liked how newgrounds didn't allow for this as some of my games experience graphical glitches when the size is altered.

I also really like the old Newgrounds view window, it was quite stylish - I find the game pages kind of lose a bit of class when the game is just up right away like that.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:36:20

At 5/27/09 08:34 AM, Halvgoeden wrote: This is great. However, the layout is a little bit weird.

I think for pages that display like the Brackenwood page, the author comments should still go to the left of the movie, while the suggested viewing should still go below the fold. (See Illustration)

And by Author Comments, I meant Author Info

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:41:32

At 5/27/09 08:36 AM, Halvgoeden wrote:
At 5/27/09 08:34 AM, Halvgoeden wrote: This is great. However, the layout is a little bit weird.

And by Author Comments, I meant Author Info

Yeah, I believe it's wrong as people are less likely to look at more stuff by the actual author. I also think people are now less likely to read the comments, so they may miss some important information

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:44:17

First one was better.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:52:45

I like it., but it's missing the option to close the flash and make it stop playing. You have to either open it as a pop up and then close it again, or exit the whole page.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 08:56:57

At 5/27/09 08:34 AM, Halvgoeden wrote: I think for pages that display like the Brackenwood page, the author comments should still go to the left of the movie, while the suggested viewing should still go below the fold. (See Illustration)

That illustration is great. I don't really like it at the moment, but those simple changes would make all the difference.

Lies make baby Jesus cry, bitch.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:02:27

Awesome work! I love seeing Newgrounds improving over the years :o!

<3333

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:03:20

I can't vote on some submissions and overall i don't like it so much

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help him to gain world domination

(O.o)

(> <)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:04:19

Some people and I prefer the old layout, and some are liking the new one, can't you just add a Option Button so it would be much fair, for those who like the old one and new? :)

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:10:37

Heh, I'll need to get used to it, but I have to say it's looking pretty nice already.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:17:01

it NEEDS to be changed back it really messes up some of us really old newgrounds users who know and love the old format it going all freakin Nonoba all over again GNAH!!! if your going to update it do it over time not in one big swoop!!!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:18:01

I don't understand how anyone thinks this looks nice. It looks more like my browser decided to stop running some script, and therefore didn't load the page correctly. We could already view Flash submissions in the same window, and it looked much cleaner. I don't see much of a point in this.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:20:14

Some flashes really suit, some really don't.

I'm sure you guys can make it work though.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:20:32

its a lot simpiler thanks tom

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:22:40

I dont like this wide design -.-

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 09:26:54

At 5/27/09 06:35 AM, diuqscirtic wrote:
At 5/27/09 05:47 AM, Blordow wrote: Got enough ads on these submission pages? Sheeeesh. Some way to treat the users that upload their flashes here. Spam their submission with ads all over the page.
You're a fucking moron. THE ARTIST GETS A BIG CUT OF THE AD REVENUE FROM ANY PAGES THAT ARE RELATED TO THEIR CONTENT.

wow a whole 2 cents a month, i'm missing out on that! i'd never have to work ever again!

BBS Signature