00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,593 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 17:02:17

At 2/13/05 04:56 PM, liljim wrote: Someone mentioned Stats?

That would be me , col, i never knew that stuff existed before!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 17:10:41

At 2/13/05 05:02 PM, NasFlash wrote: i never knew that stuff existed before!

That's because it didn't.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 17:38:54

At 2/8/05 03:36 PM, Zerok wrote: Constant Deposit Medal
Req: Deposit for 30 days in a row without missing, you get a medal. Upgrades upon 60 days, etc.

Heh... I don't think I've missed a deposit in over 2 years. And the last time I remember missing one was because NG was down for over a day and no one could deposit.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 17:40:57

At 2/13/05 05:10 PM, liljim wrote:

Wow. That's some cool shit.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 18:00:28

At 2/13/05 05:40 PM, Denvish wrote: Wow. That's some cool shit.

I know you guys like your stats stuff in here. I'll probably add some more stats in there at some point.

I need to get the yearly listings sorted as well (dead link in there), or just remove the link, since all the months of each year are already listed in the index page. I'll sort that out tomorrow.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 18:16:23

Holy crap. Sorry d0gma and RC, but liljim just topped you guys. Those charts are amazing. How often will you have them updated? Weekly, monthly, daily, ect...? Great work there. ^_^

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 18:28:52

At 2/13/05 06:16 PM, fixit2 wrote:
Holy crap. Sorry d0gma and RC, but liljim just topped you guys. Those charts are amazing. How often will you have them updated? Weekly, monthly, daily, ect...? Great work there. ^_^

It looks to me that he'll have an automated system to deal with it for each day. Could be wrong though.

Great job though liljim. :) And yes, we do love our stats :D

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 18:29:11

At 2/13/05 06:16 PM, fixit2 wrote: Holy crap. Sorry d0gma and RC, but liljim just topped you guys. Those charts are amazing. How often will you have them updated? Weekly, monthly, daily, ect...? Great work there. ^_^

I took it out of rotation tonight, until I've fixed a couple of issues with the script... But other than that, it will update on a daily basis.

And... I really wasn't wanting to "top" anyone with this stuff - I like stats as much as the next person and I did talk to RedCircle about this a week or two ago....

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-13 18:34:46

At 2/13/05 06:29 PM, liljim wrote: And... I really wasn't wanting to "top" anyone with this stuff - I like stats as much as the next person and I did talk to RedCircle about this a week or two ago....

Since we're on the subject of stats, why not add some info that I know you admins have access to?

Such as a breakdown of how many users are from each location of the globe and how many hits the site recieved the previous day.

I'm sure you have a lot of other nifty tidbits to look at as well ;) But those were two that came to mind.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-14 11:25:51

How about ranks for reviews? (Should work like the b/p system)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-14 20:25:42

i think newgrounds should have a graphics portal :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-15 18:17:40

At 2/15/05 05:02 PM, MuyBurrito wrote

Since I'm on the subject of Cell Phone ideas, maybe downloadable cell phone skins/backgrounds? It would generate the revenue to basically pay for itself (if the right prices were set).

I like this idea, i think it would work, i would most definatly sport an NG logo on my phone, they could also have the odd ringtone too.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-16 14:38:11

At 2/13/05 05:10 PM, liljim wrote:

Its pretty damn cool, nice one!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-16 14:46:14

At 2/15/05 05:02 PM, MuyBurrito wrote:
At 2/14/05 08:25 PM, Rensen wrote: i think newgrounds should have a graphics portal :)
http://www.retrogade.com
^basicall?y

yes, i know but on newgrounds, it would be more popular, and probably better, no offence to RG

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-16 20:56:15

Heh, I have 2 ideas I'd just like to throw into the mix of things, they aren't that needed but I think they'd be cool.

1) Something that lets you check every alias you (or someone else) has had. Anyone who knows me will know why I want something like this. :D

2) A list of all accounts. Such as follows:

ID Alias Profile (Y/N)
1 TomFulp Y
2 JStick N
3 Ross Y
4 mel N
5 Sean Y
6 KaneOfNod Y
7 theithith N
8 ~deleted~
9 ~deleted~
10 ~deleted~
11Koepfi N
12 ~deleted~
13 mort1313 N
14 ~deleted~
15 ~deleted~
16 q347 N
17 ~deleted~
18 ~deleted~
19 Gizum_Monkey N
20 Starshot N
21~deleted~
22 ~deleted~
23 ~deleted~
24 ~deleted~
25 xevious N
26 Hosser Y
27 ~deleted~
28 ~deleted~
29 me N
30 Nehi Y
31zaen N
32 ~deleted~
33 ~deleted~
34 bandit2 N
35 Vitipicus_Onslaught N
36 monster N
37 MetallicA N
38 ~deleted~
39 ~deleted~
40 ~deleted~
41 K_R_Y_P_T_O N
42 DrGonzo N
43 Jagged_Metal N
44 ParadoX N
45 Mynax N
46 ~deleted~
47 ~deleted~
48 baricutab N
49 mastethom Y
50 ~deleted~

I did 1-500 manually, and it is pretty tedious. I don't really have a use for this, I just find it insanely cool. ^_^

Also, why are there so many people who are deleted? Someone said something about there was a deletion sweep that happened at some point or another. Is that true? I mean, I can get people without profiles with my method, but it's odd that there are people who should up as nonexistant. >_>

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-16 21:14:34

At 2/16/05 09:11 PM, BareNakedMike wrote: #2 was deleted too, Bedn Hacked it and Tom or someone Deleted it. Thats what I heard im not shure if thats true.

Don't mess around with me, I know what I'm doing Mike. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=2 Don't doubt my methods of getting things done. ):<

------

I thought of an Idea for a REAL 4th secret, Im not shure if this one was thought of before, and I know how often a secret is sugested too. But I thought why not have the Change your Alias as a 4th secret?

If you dare have that made I'll kill you all. You made that just to spite me didn't you? Didn't you? That's a horrible and cruel punishment. Think of a better forth secret. ):<

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-16 21:33:47

At 2/16/05 09:20 PM, BareNakedMike wrote: Oh shit its YOU haha! I didnt even recognize you.

Oh wow, I didn't know I was this good at being a master of disguise. <3 XD

Error - JStick doesn't have any audio uploads......

Yep, for people with profiles it'll link to their profile. For people without profiles it just gives a dead name. Then there are people it says don't exist. I assumed they were deleted in this "clean sweep" that I have no clue about. I would really like to ask liljim or Wade about it.

hahahaha well it could be for lv 11+ or somthing, Maybe a 5th secret could be Viewing your Ban history or somthing cool like that?

OMFG! You're discussing secrets on the BBS, BANNED! XD

Hmm, since we're on the suggestion of secrets. Some others could be the ban history you spoke of, the alias changing option (even though I absolutely hate that idea), and why not that first point I had brought up earlier, a list of all aliases that you have had. Any other ideas anyone else can come up with for new secrets, the current ones are getting a little dull now a days. >_>

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-16 21:46:29

I have been thinking about this for awhile. What if NG created a system if when you post you get a "credit" and when you get enough credits you can buy something from the NG shop (not the online store)
Like having your name glow in a color , Having Bold , Italic , And other stuff.
And having like the ability to lock and open your own topic (cept when a mod locks it)
Bank Steal - Steal bank credits from a members, maximum of 200 credits. 60% chance of success, but you get fined double the amount of credits that you attempted to steal if you are not sucessful.

Advertisement - You get it don't you?
And other things.. anyone like?

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 10:23:13

At 2/1/05 09:14 PM, liljim wrote:
At 1/31/05 08:58 PM, ShitPissFuckCuntTits wrote: Of course the first thing to come to mind would still involve the BBS. I was thinking an XML/RSS feed for the News posts, but maybe extending that to P-Bot's posts would be cool too. But again, the question of how many people would use that...
It's funny that you should mention rss feeds - I actually have thought about creating feeds in the past (not so much for the bbs stuff, but what's listed from the (Flash) Portal). I played around with some wml feeds as well a year or so ago (just for those wanting to check things out from their cell phone) and with some javascript feeds (because that's just a case of referencing an src rather than parsing information from rss feeds).

Haven't really used RSS feeds until a couple of days ago, but I've got some set up now in Firefox's bookmarks menu and they're a godsend. I wouldn't really use a NG one as I'm on here all the time, but a feed that lists the recent 10 submissions and the news forum posts would be useful. Hell, you could set one up that links to the daily top 5 submissions.

I'd probably still set them up to view anyway (I've actually got the feed for my blog bookmarked, for no good reason) :-)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 15:43:44

At 2/15/05 05:02 PM, MuyBurrito wrote: As well, I think there should be a front page or bbs area that is specifically designed for small-screened devices such as PDAs and Web-Ready Cell Phones.
Since I'm on the subject of Cell Phone ideas, maybe downloadable cell phone skins/backgrounds? It would generate the revenue to basically pay for itself (if the right prices were set).

Believe it or not, I actually did have a play around with some cellphone stuff when I first started out at NG. I had the top five listing for the day as the front page and was going to make it possible to log in and check out how your movie's standing was doing (if you had uploaded one). The idea being that you could check out the progress of your submission from your phone at work or at college. I ran into problems with the login stuff, though - I think it was specifically to do with underscores or hyphens in usernames. I never had the patience to work through that stuff, because the connection was so damned slow over the phone. And I've lost track of where the technology's at since then... I don't really use my phone for anything other than calling people and sending messages these days, maybe I should check back into the web side of stuff.

At 2/17/05 10:23 AM, jonthomson wrote: Haven't really used RSS feeds until a couple of days ago, but I've got some set up now in Firefox's bookmarks menu and they're a godsend. I wouldn't really use a NG one as I'm on here all the time, but a feed that lists the recent 10 submissions and the news forum posts would be useful. Hell, you could set one up that links to the daily top 5 submissions.

What are you using to parse the feed? Or is there something that comes with FireFox that takes the feed and parses it for you?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 15:46:41

Wow, when you say for your cellphone, thats hi-tech, and somewhat weird. I dont think it would work that well, becuase you would need a nice phone, and half of newgrounds may not have a cellphone, and another large chunk will have a crappy one. Then a small percentage wouldn't know how to work it. It may have helped few people, but I dont think its worth the time for you to try and do that...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 18:04:09

At 2/17/05 03:43 PM, liljim wrote:
What are you using to parse the feed? Or is there something that comes with FireFox that takes the feed and parses it for you?

With Firefox, if the site has a rss/xml feed that you can use, a little button pops up in the bottom toolbar on the right and you can then add it to your favourites. It'll then show up in your bookmark menu, and each post will show up in a sub menu. I'll kind of demonstrate with screenies in follow-up posts...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 18:06:37

If this image works, it'll show you my bookmark menu. I've highlighted my blog to demonstrate. The items in the submenu are grabbed automatically from the feed.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 18:11:13

At 2/17/05 06:06 PM, jonthomson wrote: If this image works, it'll show you my bookmark menu. I've highlighted my blog to demonstrate. The items in the submenu are grabbed automatically from the feed.

Hopefully the titles of my blog postings will show the quasi-Maddox arrogance that stems from them and make someone read the feckers :-)

This is a screenie of slashdot.com - what I've highlighted is the indicator that comes up when Firefox recognises that the given page has an xml/rss feed. You can just click on it and add it to your bookmarks, the result is what's shown on the previous post.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 18:43:47

Welp, another issue with the Audio Portal.

It'd be nice of the aduio reviews counted in the profile, at least then there'd be a point to responding to reviews. As it is now, no one, unless they obsessively watch all the songs they've reviewed, is going to ever see the response from the author. I don't know, maybe thats what users do there. Oh yeah, and of course Audio Portal awards would be nice, even though the Audio Portal is a little weird when it comes to the voting.

And one more thing before I stop, being able to search for users without movies might be nice. A bit unnecesary by Newgrounds reason for being is to make flash, but I do know some new users who've made accounts and want me to look at stuff but I can't see their accounts unless I find a movie they have reviewed. Also had to find my own account after being gone for a couple years, and that was a pain in the ass to do. Maybe I'm not being creative enough with my search methods, but anyway, thats my rant.

Don't know how many people any of these suggestions would benefit, but I think they'd be nice to consider.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 18:54:10

At 2/17/05 06:04 PM, jonthomson wrote: With Firefox, if the site has a rss/xml feed that you can use, a little button pops up in the bottom toolbar on the right and you can then add it to your favourites. It'll then show up in your bookmark menu, and each post will show up in a sub menu. I'll kind of demonstrate with screenies in follow-up posts...

Ah, ok - but that wasn't exactly what I was thinking. I'm talking about stuff like this - someone with a site can use that to grab the contents and then parse the content to suit the design of their site.... This is not limited to html, you can bring these details directly into flash and other media.

So, say you had a site and you wanted to link in the top 5 portal entries of the day, you would take an rss feed from NG (this would be best suited to an automated task, where the website owner would run a scheduled task to grab the feed every day (or several times of the day)) and parse the contents of the feed into a format suited to the rest of their site's pages...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 18:55:38

At 2/17/05 06:43 PM, TVs_Slayer wrote: It'd be nice of the aduio reviews counted in the profile, at least then there'd be a point to responding to reviews.

That will come with a revamp of the profiles.

And one more thing before I stop, being able to search for users without movies might be nice.

We used to have a user search, but removed it because it was nailing the database.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 19:02:15

does anybody agree that ng should have a graphics portal?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 19:10:00

At 2/17/05 06:54 PM, liljim wrote:
Ah, ok - but that wasn't exactly what I was thinking. I'm talking about stuff like this - someone with a site can use that to grab the contents and then parse the content to suit the design of their site.... This is not limited to html, you can bring these details directly into flash and other media.

I see. Never experimented with that but I'm certain that it can be done.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-17 19:12:41

At 2/17/05 07:02 PM, Rensen wrote: does anybody agree that ng should have a graphics portal?

I don't really agree with that. I think NG should remain as it is in terms of content; primarily Flash, with the Audio Portal as a sideline that can be used as a resource for Flashers. Apart from the fact that implementing a graphics portal would require a massive amount of work, the idea has already been done on sites like RG and others.
I dunno, I like playing with Paintshop Pro as much as the next person, but I just don't think that NG is the place for it. </personal opinion>

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature