Reviews for "Randobot"

so lets get this straight, you picked the one genre (platformer), that uses quality controls as its make/break factor, and purposely made said controls faulty. Original, yes, but for a reason. Really nice graphics otherwise and the gameplay actually seems smooth enough, such a shame that you purposely ruined it because it gets way too frustrating when you can't help but not just as you aren't fully upgraded then fall into a hole and have to start over.

VascoF responds:

Well, you could say I like to break the rules :)

nice game overall altough it can be frustrating if played smartly its easy enough.
liked the way the robot evolved.
e é simpatico ver algo sair do meu =) ( its nice to see something from my country)
nice work VascoF.

Obrigado bubasmix ;)

Easy mode was ok, but hard mode is just a chore. Designing a game around faulty controls seems almost 'it's not a bug, it's a feature', but the game is pretty well polished and I can definitely see what you were going for.

Ultimately, although I voted the game a 5 because you executed it well, I'm reviewing it a 2 because the concept itself is absolutely terrible.

ANNOYING
Unique concept...but it's just bad...
I'm okay with pressing until it works, but sometimes you need two buttons (up + right to jump over gap) and one of them fails...
Not the best art and music

Really fun game. I enjoyed it, and didn't find the control or upgrade scheme too annoying. The only time I had to 're-tweak' my upgrades was when I realized I needed the jetpack right away to get all of the energy in hard mode and I certainly never spent an hour on any level. I thought the defective robot was a clever idea, and though it was at times annoying when it seemed to fail the odds and cause you to die I doubt anyone complained when chance favored them and they got a string of bullets or good jetpack runs when they only had 10% chance.

One thing I did notice was that after I saved the universe a second time even though it showed the medal in game Newgrounds didn't catch it. So I don't know if that is a problem with the medal itself or what. All of the others transferred just fine. Oh well, at least I got fireworks the second time.

And another thing. I don't know if you have the hard mode stuff linked to a users newgrounds account, but I was able to enter it on a different computer by pressing H even though the menu option did not show up. I wonder if that could be the reason the medal didn't show properly? Sad.

Anyhow fun game with an interesting concept I thought it was well worth playing through twice for the medals and alternate ending. Keep up the good work. 5/5 and 4.5 stars.

VascoF responds:

I don't think the medal problem was an error on my end, maybe some kind of a connection problem?

Yeah I left the hard key always enabled, but that shouldn't have affected the medals. I changed that now just in case.

Thanks for the review.