00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ramen-Noodiles supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Viking Army

173,222 Views | 1,749 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-20 12:18:02

At 5/20/09 05:27 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote:
Yeah, I feel that I am returning to the light side now.

And to celebrate this Leidolfr or Vdviking will tell us a Viking legend...right?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-20 22:06:00

At 5/20/09 12:18 PM, HeavyTank wrote: And to celebrate this Leidolfr or Vdviking will tell us a Viking legend...right?

I'd hope so. Gather 'round the pyre (or wherever traditional legends are told), and toast that mead.
Also, I got a new game yesterday, and it's based somewhat strongly around Norse mythology. It's called Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. It's about some kid wanting to kill the Valkyrie who took his father to Valhalla, because he blames his fathers death for everything wrong with his life. And apparently Hel is trying to help him out, for some reason. But, that's about all I've gotten from it so far.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-21 08:52:00

At 5/20/09 10:06 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: I'd hope so. Gather 'round the pyre (or wherever traditional legends are told), and toast that mead.
Also, I got a new game yesterday,

Is it for PC or a console?I'd be intrested in playing it...................................

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-21 21:52:10

At 5/21/09 08:52 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Is it for PC or a console?I'd be intrested in playing it...................................

DS. I haven't gotten farther in it yet, but it's a punishing game. The enemies are incredibly strong, forcing you to use dark magic (or something) to soup up an allies stats to max. But after the battle that ally dies a la Fire Emblem, and becomes unusable. And they often whine about not wanting to die, making it a real sad game.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-22 01:21:16

At 5/21/09 09:52 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: DS. I haven't gotten farther in it yet, but it's a punishing game. The enemies are incredibly strong, forcing you to use dark magic (or something) to soup up an allies stats to max

Uh..it seems like a frustrating game to me.. game to me...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-22 02:05:12

Ah... So this is the story of the English language.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-22 07:29:05

At 5/22/09 01:21 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Uh..it seems like a frustrating game to me.. game to me...

Not really. You've just got to think. Do that, time your attacks right, and gang up on a single enemy for a quick kill. Most of the enemies could easily destroy one of your party one-on-one, but gang up on them and they die real easy. That, and always meet your sin quota. Don't meet it, and a Realmstalker appears during the next battle to fuck you up, and force you to sacrifice an ally.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-23 01:03:40

At 5/22/09 07:29 AM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: Not really. You've just got to think.

Lol...OK
And thanks to Leidolfr, that was some cool info...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-23 02:46:09

Yeah. I totally agree.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-25 00:45:54

At 5/23/09 05:40 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
yeah i know, theres not really much to say to my posts, lol

Heh, it's normal, you already said everything in the post :D

and yeah the language aspect really interests me, because asside from genetics, thats how theyre still alive....

Yep.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-26 06:55:10

Yes. All langages have interesting histories.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-26 08:23:57

At 5/26/09 06:55 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: Yes. All langages have interesting histories.

With the exception of american english (now l am just being evil :P )

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-26 16:13:19

Hello again boys (and girls?).

Back home again from sunny Turkey. Not much vikingy stuff to be seen, but Istanbul is a pretty awesome city when it comes to history (and traffic!). And the south coast of Turkey is beautiful, with lots of beaches and small towns.

Still a bit tired from the week, if you wondering what I've been up to check out these pics - http://gallery.ih3.org/main.php?g2_itemI d=242 - I'm the guy in the Kilt. Good fun, but almost impossible to explain.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-26 20:31:41

At 5/26/09 04:13 PM, vdviking wrote: Hello again boys (and girls?).

I don't know. Speaking of which, did women really have any place in Viking raiding parties?

Back home again from sunny Turkey. Not much vikingy stuff to be seen, but Istanbul is a pretty awesome city when it comes to history (and traffic!). And the south coast of Turkey is beautiful, with lots of beaches and small towns.

I can imagine. Turkey would be a very interesting place to visit, and to learn me some Byzantine and Ottoman history.

Still a bit tired from the week, if you wondering what I've been up to check out these pics - http://gallery.ih3.org/main.php?g2_itemI d=242 - I'm the guy in the Kilt. Good fun, but almost impossible to explain.

Hmm...If you can't explain, then don't.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-28 06:55:37

At 5/26/09 04:13 PM, vdviking wrote: Hello again boys (and girls?).

Uh, l don't think so..anyway, weclome back!

Back home again from sunny Turkey. Not much vikingy stuff to be seen, but Istanbul is a pretty awesome city when it comes to history (and traffic!).

You should see Athens...anyway not finding Viking stuff in Turkey is kida normal...l don't think they ever got that far, did they?

Please try,

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-28 12:44:47

Well, if they accept you, welcome:D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-28 13:24:13

At 5/28/09 09:13 AM, CrypticPoptart wrote: MY ANCESTORS WERE VIKINGS! So I'm gonna join!

Just like me!Weclome to the NGVA!
Do you know the general stuff or do l have to explain?

Yeah, they actually were able to trace my family back to Norse vikings, :P

:D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-28 19:44:17

At 5/28/09 09:13 AM, CrypticPoptart wrote: MY ANCESTORS WERE VIKINGS! So I'm gonna join!

Welcome aboard sir. With a few more new soldiers, promotions may be in order soon.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-29 03:32:53

Welcome, if you haven't already done so, click on the first link in my sig "Thul of the..." and you will be taken to my userpage with some basic info and rules.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-29 11:33:45

At 5/29/09 03:15 AM, Leidolfr wrote:

Welcome aboard sir. With a few more new soldiers, promotions may be in order soon.

I wonder hwere all the "old" new members have gone..theyjoined and then they never posted again..

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-30 06:05:15

At 5/30/09 04:43 AM, Leidolfr wrote: Lmao, No shit.....

Yeah, well, we have to move on...and list them as Nidings, l guess?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-30 07:43:03

At 5/30/09 06:05 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Yeah, well, we have to move on...and list them as Nidings, l guess?

Nah, not NIdings, thats to harsh. Let us just remove them from the members list and move on.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-31 02:40:43

At 5/31/09 12:47 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
so this is a list of just DIALECTS of German, and im only posting them because i came acrossed them again...

:a bagload of dialects.

Well, why are you posting this?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-31 09:31:53

At 5/31/09 02:55 AM, Leidolfr wrote: well like i said in the post, its just an example of how well established the vikings actually were, what you dont realise probably is languages on there are languages found in not only europe but, israel, south africa, brazil, argentina, and i dont know, i thought it was spiffy

I don't know about that. I mean, that's a large list, and would usually show a large influence. But, it's a lot of minor languages, a good number of which I've never heard of. And most of them are centralized around Germany. As with Latin, it influenced a massive amount of people under a good number of languages used more widely than German.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-05-31 11:40:38

Im look at buying a nice viking shield that has dragon designs on it.

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-01 04:06:58

Whoah!

I couldn't imagine that all these things were combined to each other. Thank you Leidorf:D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-01 11:25:43

At 5/31/09 11:40 AM, smeagol1 wrote: Im look at buying a nice viking shield that has dragon designs on it.

Here's what you should've done:

1.Can l join?Yes you can
2.Thanks!No problem
3.Im look at buying a nice viking shield that has dragon designs on it.

Now, shall we try again?And next time, read the first page :/

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-02 01:24:07

At 6/2/09 01:23 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
anytime, im serious, if anyone needs an opinion on anything, or information, always feel free to ask me, because i will probably either know it, haverun acrossed it once, or, wil be able to track it down

[ infact pretty much any member here can pm me and ask about anything, related or not, im usully more than happy to help]

Alright oh allmighty sage!
:D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-03 03:46:59

Alright, could you tell us something about how the Vikings decided to raid areas in Europe?

My history book says that the Vikings conquered Byzantine Italy and started marching against Instabul(but Emperor Alexios Komninos the first made an agreement with Venice and Vikings were beaten:(). I want to learn what drove Vikings so far from their homelands.

Please tell me:D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-03 04:45:08

At 6/3/09 03:46 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: Alright, could you tell us something about how the Vikings decided to raid areas in Europe?

My history book says that the Vikings conquered Byzantine Italy and started marching against Instabul(but Emperor Alexios Komninos the first made an agreement with Venice and Vikings were beaten:(). I want to learn what drove Vikings so far from their homelands.

Please tell me:D

As usual historians aren't in agreement over this question. There are several theories, some plausible some just plain odd.

1) Overpopulation and famine. This is a quite common view. The theory is that because of a very rapid population growth food and farm land became scarce, thus forcing people to move to other lands. The same thing came to be a huge problem in medieval Europe.

I don't agree with this theory because of several factors; 1) Scandinavia was the part of Europe with the least population and huge areas with good fertile soil just there for the taking. 2) Scandinavians were never that big, strong and healthy (i.e. well fed) until modern days. 3) There are no archaeological or written evidence of lack of food.

2) Centrally organized colonization or conquest. This is a, in my opinion, oddball theory which surfaces once in a while. The idea is that there was concious and organized attempt by a central Viking "government" to spread Viking culture and religion.

Besides the fact that there are absolutely no evidence of this I can put together a few arguments against it. 1. Viking fleets and forces were never big enough for total conquest, only in England did they manage to carve out a Kingdom that lasted. 2. The Vikings never forbade or tried to get rid of the local culture or religion, instead it was the Vikings who sooner or later became part of the local culture, by intermarriage and time. 3. Almost all Vikings returned home. 4. The Scandinavians of that time was never organized enough for such a thing, they couldn't even keep from fighting between themselves.

3) Glory, fame and money. This is my personal favourite. Young men who wanted their own land needed to get their hands on some good money, and the Viking culture also favoured those who were brave. What better place to get that than in a War, with a chance for all. And what better place to find a war than in the more heavily populated central and South Europe with a long history of conflicts. A young man returning home both rich and famous wouldn't have a problem finding a wife among the daughters of rich merchants or farmers, thus increasing his wealth.