00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

439,485 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-02-26 10:54:54

I haven't been watching much lately, but I'm gonna go hang out with some friend tonight. Might bring The Wrestler with me, cause I'm still pretty curious about that one.

At 2/21/10 12:11 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/21/10 10:44 AM, Auz wrote: I think the main good point about this movie is the plot.
Well, it is Shakespeare. Even still, I think the best thing about it is the scenery and camera work.

Yeah I couldn't help but notice the strange camera work. My girlfriend also pointed out that sometimes there was very little change in the point of view of the camera, which felt kinda odd. And the scenery, yes. It often seemed like they just found a nice place in the hills and just started shooting there, without preparing anything.

I don't know whether I liked these two things, but they didn't bother me either. I just found them a bit peculiar.

At 2/26/10 05:56 AM, Life-Stream wrote:
At 2/25/10 09:07 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Just saw Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (Warner Bros., 2007)
That image has ´WTF´ written all over it! How was it?

I agree. Seems like one of the most random movies in history. I'm guessing it's not so good?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-02-26 12:52:12

At 2/26/10 10:54 AM, Auz wrote:
At 2/26/10 05:56 AM, Life-Stream wrote:
At 2/25/10 09:07 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Just saw Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (Warner Bros., 2007)
That image has ´WTF´ written all over it! How was it?
I agree. Seems like one of the most random movies in history. I'm guessing it's not so good?

Well, if you like the show, you'll probably like the movie. There is virtually no plot and the dialogue is nonsensical at best. However, I did laugh a good amount....

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-02-26 22:02:33

the ATHF movie was awesome

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-02-27 21:24:25

Sky Movies showed Jaws, then Jurassic Park, then Robocop one after the other earlier tonight.

It was amazing.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-02-28 06:37:24

At 2/27/10 09:12 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I saw Open Water and I really liked it. Obviously, the film's "slowness" and slice of life are not for everyone, but it is for people like me.

Sounds interesting. I actually don't mind slow movies, so i'll look into that movie.

At 2/27/10 09:24 PM, TheMaster wrote: Sky Movies showed Jaws, then Jurassic Park, then Robocop one after the other earlier tonight.
It was amazing.

3 classics. Been years since i've seen any of those.

I watched yesterday Ponyo and Pathfinder.

Being a huge fan of studio Ghibli i enjoyed Ponyo very much. It's not their best work, but it's still a very nice movie for all the family. Perfect artwork and beautiful colours all around.

I've always liked old battle kind of films, like conan, braveheart etc... so Pathfinder was right down my street. Vikings invade somewhere in America and pillage small villages. A young man named Ghost goes out hunting, and while he's away his village is attacked and everyone slaughtered, so he seeks revenge.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-02-28 13:43:19

I haven't seen that many movies lately, but this afternoon some Jane Eyre film from 1996 was on TV. I watched the second half and it didn't look that good to me. But I don't know, maybe the first 45 minutes were brilliant.

In other news I'm still gonna go and see Alice and Wonderland next week (in 3D). My girlfriend bought some tickets and said she could always cancel them. But she really wants to go and after seeing some new trailers for it I gotta say that I am getting more and more curious as well.

Recently I heard that it was not a filming of the book by the way. It's supposed to be a sequel, so if anyone else here also plans on going; you might want to read the books first.

At 2/26/10 12:52 PM, puddinN64 wrote:
At 2/26/10 10:54 AM, Auz wrote: I agree. Seems like one of the most random movies in history. I'm guessing it's not so good?
Well, if you like the show, you'll probably like the movie. There is virtually no plot and the dialogue is nonsensical at best. However, I did laugh a good amount....

Alright. Well if I happen to come across it I might check it out.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-02 10:31:15

I watched The Wrestler yesterday.

It was good in my opinion. Plotwise it is nothing amazing as far as I can see, but Mickey Rourke really gave a rock solid performance there. I can understand why he was nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor and won so many other awards for this film. Also I liked how the movie was quite emotional, but managed to stay away from becoming too cheesy. That was well done in my opinion.

8 out of 10

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-02 10:39:22

Had something of a Coen Bros session recently. Watched Lebowski (which we all know is amazing), Raising Arizona and No Country for Old Men, both of which I'd never seen before.
Both good films but I don't think either of them reach the heights of Fargo and Lebowski. But 5th and 4th respectively in my Coen Brothers rankings.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-04 19:15:10

I guess I could bookmark this thread and check it once in a while.

But, let's get to the point, I've prepared MY top 5 of greatest films ewah* with directors:

1-The Lord of the Rings: Return of the king (Peter Jackson).
2-2001, a space odyssey (Stanley Kubrick).
3-Zulu (Cy Endfield).
4-Tiebetween Blame it on Fidel (Julie Gavras) and Che (Steven Soderbergh)
5-Spell of the unown** (Michael Haigney)

*: Ever Will be Awesome Hey!
**: Fuck you if you hate it, it was my childhood's favourite and for that it deserves to be in MY top 5.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 07:12:16

Watched Aliens Vs Predator 2 the other day. I love the alien movies, and i love the predator movies, and although AVP is awesome, it's not on par with the originals.

I actually liked AVP more than AVP2. All this said, i still did enjoy this film, because of the horrible gory deaths and well, just because both aliens and predators are in it :D

I actually watched this movie beause i recently brought the game for PS3.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 07:40:59

Saw Alice in Wonderland and I really don't know what Tim Burton was thinking with this. It was the kind of film I'd expect out of Disney, but I would have thought him a little smarter than to attach himself to such a poorly conceived sequel. It takes the trippy flow of bizarre that was the animated adaptation of the stories and turns it into another wannabe Lord of the Rings. I'm still a little in awe of how off-the-mark they were.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 14:10:25

At 3/2/10 10:39 AM, Nev wrote: No Country for Old Men

Gotta rewatch that one again someday. My first impression was kind of similar to yours, but I have a feeling it gets better and better if you watch it more often. I think I liked it more than Fargo though.

At 3/5/10 07:40 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Saw Alice in Wonderland and I really don't know what Tim Burton was thinking with this. It was the kind of film I'd expect out of Disney, but I would have thought him a little smarter than to attach himself to such a poorly conceived sequel. It takes the trippy flow of bizarre that was the animated adaptation of the stories and turns it into another wannabe Lord of the Rings. I'm still a little in awe of how off-the-mark they were.

I wish I hadn't read this comment yet :p I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I thought the trailers made it look really good. But this whole war thing I saw in the trailers didn't seem to fit the Alice in Wonderland story to me. I was still hoping that it would be worked out very well, but... perhaps it's not then.

Oh well, I'll see it for myself tomorrow. Trying to go in as neutral as I can.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 16:13:56

I watched The Boondock Saints 2.

Good, not as good as the first. Using Dafoe in only one 5 minute scene at the end while replacing him with a character who served exactly the same purpose in the rest of the film was criminal. Very similar to the first film, really. Plans going wrong and then them still managing to kill everyone anyway, loads of humour, wacky sidekicks, but just not as good.

7/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 18:01:44

My favourite movies -

Back to the Future Series, Apocalypse Now, Groundhog Day, The Room, Inland Empire, EraserHead, Friday 13th Franchise, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Green Mile, The Blair Witch Project, Pi, American Psycho, Requiem For A Dream, The Shining, The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, The Beach, The Cable Guy, Suicide Club, Kill Bill, Saw Series, The Lord of the Flies, This Is England, Austin Powers, Fargo, Hot Fuzz, Shaun Of the Dead, The Fly (remake), Misery, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange, Forrest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Rambo:First Blood, One Hour Photo, The Matrix Series, The Resident Evil Series, The Ring, The Butterfly Effect, Alien, Edward ScissorHands, The Terminator 1 & 2, Halloween Series, The Wiker Man, 2001:A space Odyssey, Resiviour Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Donnie Darko, The Dentist, and there are probably more I can't think of.

I just watched One Hour Photo again btw. I recommend it. It's a psychological thriller about a man who processes photos but becomes obsessed with a family who are regular customers due to his loneliness and desire for a family resulting in his involvement in their family problems (most specifically, an affair). It's interesting to see his involvement and aggressiveness develop as his life begins a downward spiral of depression, which is most likely what takes him back to his involvement of the family. I think it's a very underrated film. Don't be put off by the fact that the main character is Robin Williams though, he is surprisingly very good in it.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 18:08:25

At 3/2/10 10:31 AM, Auz wrote: I watched The Wrestler yesterday.

I've been meaning to watch that. It didn't look like my type of film, but it is directed by Darren Aronofsky so I'll give it a go sometime.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-05 19:09:54

At 3/5/10 04:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: I watched The Boondock Saints 2.

Good, not as good as the first. Using Dafoe in only one 5 minute scene at the end while replacing him with a character who served exactly the same purpose in the rest of the film was criminal. Very similar to the first film, really. Plans going wrong and then them still managing to kill everyone anyway, loads of humour, wacky sidekicks, but just not as good.

7/10.

I felt the same way. I did like how they used Dafoe to set up another sequel. When he says they have the support of the largest corporation on the planet and looks at the priest made me laugh. I think the shooting scene in the skyscraper topped any of the shooting scenes in the first, but I still think the first is better overall.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-06 04:54:36

Just saw Let The Right One In.

Oh wow that film is amazing. By far the best vampire film I have seen. It's achieved a standard I would never have thought possible from the genre.

This is the first time a film I've seen has made a vampire-human relationship believable, helped not least of all by a couple of the best child performances I've seen in a while.

Just wow.

Amazing. See it if you haven't.

Unless you're like a rabid Twilight fan or something. Then you might not appreciate its ridiculously grim portrayal of the relationship between the main characters.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-06 05:19:50

At 3/5/10 04:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: I watched The Boondock Saints 2.

I really don't know what to think of the first one :p I found it fairly entertaining when I watched it, but a few scenes were just so bad. Like when that other guy dressed up as a woman to infiltrate in that house or whatever. He didn't look like a woman at all, let alone an attractive one. It felt like I was watching a Looney Tunes cartoon there or something.

Anyway I would like to check out the second one someday though.

At 3/6/10 12:07 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 3/5/10 02:10 PM, Auz wrote: I thought the trailers made it look really good.
Trailers can make any movie look really good, unless maybe it has terrible production values and acting you can already tell is bad just from watching a few seconds. I wrote this on my dislike for trailers, at least when it comes to deciding whether to see a film.

Yeah you are quite right in that trailers usually give viewers the impression that everything is an epic masterpiece, and that you shouldn't only go see a movie because the trailers were good. Indeed, you can't derive much from them about whether it's going to be good or bad.

Still Alice in Wonderland also has a few other things speaking for it. Like the cast is quite impressive. I mean I have seen a quick overview of movies that are coming out in '10 and I think Alice in Wonderland really had the most impressive casting of them all. Also there is Tim Burton. The guy has always been a bit "hit and miss" for me though, but a good trailer + impressive casting does make it seem like it's going to be a hit this time.

But anyway, I'll be seeing it for myself in a few hours time =)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-06 07:18:34

At 3/5/10 02:10 PM, Auz wrote:
At 3/5/10 07:40 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Saw Alice in Wonderland and I really don't know what Tim Burton was thinking with this.
I wish I hadn't read this comment yet :p I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I thought the trailers made it look really good.

Tim Burton's view on the movie was that he wanted to make a version that was more story based, but I think that's kind of missing the point. Personally, I really liked the dreamy quality that other adaptations have had of floating between strange encounters. That's just me so if a more story focused Wonderland movie sounds good to you then you might like it. Maybe I'm just speaking out because it's something a little different from my expectation, but I think regardless the story was weak and not really befitting of the source material.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-06 07:45:07

At 3/6/10 05:19 AM, Auz wrote: I really don't know what to think of the first one :p I found it fairly entertaining when I watched it, but a few scenes were just so bad. Like when that other guy dressed up as a woman to infiltrate in that house or whatever. He didn't look like a woman at all, let alone an attractive one. It felt like I was watching a Looney Tunes cartoon there or something.

Anyway I would like to check out the second one someday though.

The bad scenes are totally cancelled out by the incredible courtroom bit at the end, and the fact that it has Billy Connolly firing six guns at once.

At 3/6/10 04:54 AM, Aigis wrote: Just saw Let The Right One In.

Great film. Saw it ages ago, been meaning to pick it up on DVD.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-06 20:07:26

Boindock Saints is one of my favorite movies. I have no expectations for the new one. dunno if or when I'll ever see it.

I saw Up last night. great movie.

At 2/27/10 09:12 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I saw Open Water and I really liked it. Now, I understand why certain people dislike or hate it; it's "slow".

I thought it was dumb.

At 3/2/10 10:39 AM, Nev wrote: Had something of a Coen Bros session recently. Watched Lebowski (which we all know is amazing), Raising Arizona and No Country for Old Men, both of which I'd never seen before.
Both good films but I don't think either of them reach the heights of Fargo and Lebowski. But 5th and 4th respectively in my Coen Brothers rankings.

I put them both up there with 'em, or at least no Country. loved those movies.

At 3/5/10 12:52 PM, Mendou wrote: Been watching a lot of movies recently.

The Godfather
The Godfather part II
The French Connection
The Departed

awesome times 4

Blow

I gotta watch Blow again because I barely remember it.

I don't know if it's weird, but I really like The Fast and the Furious. It's not well written, but nostalgia kind of pardons the faults. I think it's a very entertaining movie, one of my favorite films, honestly.

eh, didn't like it.

At 3/6/10 04:54 AM, Aigis wrote: Just saw Let The Right One In.

That was good. I really liked it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 03:51:18

I know I'm late to the party but I just saw Zombielands.

lol what was that movie, a clipshow?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 03:59:16

Just got back from seeing Alice in Wonderland. I twas my first experience with IMAX 3D. I thought it was good, close to great, but settling at just good. I just felt like the last 25 minutes didn't really gel together with the rest of the movie. It was a fun visual adventure though, and a lot better than Burton's previous re-imaginings. (Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) Johnny Depp doing the dance made me really uncomfortable and definitely made me like the film a little less. I was also disappointed that Christopher Lee had just a few lines. Not a bad film I'd say, if you want an amusing ride with plenty of eye candy, check it out. 7/10

Next movie I am excited to see is Clash of the Titans, I've got the original set up in my online queue and will hopefully watch it soon. I haven't seen it in years.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 04:40:02

At 3/7/10 03:59 AM, boloneyman wrote: Just got back from seeing Alice in Wonderland. I twas my first experience with IMAX 3D. I thought it was good, close to great, but settling at just good. I just felt like the last 25 minutes didn't really gel together with the rest of the movie. It was a fun visual adventure though, and a lot better than Burton's previous re-imaginings. (Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) Johnny Depp doing the dance made me really uncomfortable and definitely made me like the film a little less. I was also disappointed that Christopher Lee had just a few lines. Not a bad film I'd say, if you want an amusing ride with plenty of eye candy, check it out. 7/10

As an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland it is awful.

It takes away everything that makes the book good. That is, the witty dialogue and the hilariously bizarre logic the world runs on. In the film, all of the characters act on real-world logic, which is bad.

It takes out all of the humour of the novel.

The film really felt like Tim Burton had heard a few things about Alice's two books, and just decided to make a film around them. It feels like he maybe read the Mad Tea Party chapter, the Jabberwocky poem, and a Wikipedia synopsis on a couple of the characters and then decided that nothing else was important.

And then he turned the Queen of Hearts into the Red Queen, but kept the card motif for some reason.

And don't forget the ridiculous epic battle that goes against the whole nature of the book.

What annoyed me the most was trying to make "why is a raven like a writing desk" into an emotional point, which is so incredibly stupid I just had to groan at the screen.

However, aside from that I found it a little stupidly enjoyable. I knew that I shouldn't enjoy it, but it still had its stupid little moments.

It's not Alice in Wonderland, though.

As a side note, Tim Burton seems to be becoming a parody of himself nowadays with his movie choice.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 06:43:24

So I went to see Alice in Wonderland yesterday.

I thought that it was very amusing. I think Tim Burton translated the characters from the book to the screen very well. The hatter was pretty much the only one who looked/was different than I imagined him to be when I read the book, but all the other characters were nicely done. Especially loved the Cheshire Cat and the March Hare. I think they both really stole the show in the scenes they were in.

As for the story... well it was alright in my opinion. Although I agree with the other guy who was disappointed in the last 25 minutes. The dancing part probably should have been left out, because it was just awkward to watch.

I didn't think the whole war thing at the end fitted the Wonderland story that well either. Although I had a theory about that which might be a decent explanation for it. You see, Alice is now 20 years old and is probably much more aware of what is going on in the real world. She probably didn't know much about warfare and politics yet when she was only 7, but she does now. I think that awareness might have changed her own fantasies and dreams, making them much more serious and violent.

What I've also heard is that Tim Burton had to rush the ending to meet the deadline. He wanted to do it differently actually. So maybe we will get a much better ending on the DVD version.

Anyway I'd give it 7.5 / 10.

It's a pretty good sequel I think, and I doubt it could have been made much better. I can definitely recommend anyone to go and see it in the cinema. I don't think there is anything more interesting there at the moment anyway.

At 3/7/10 03:59 AM, boloneyman wrote: I was also disappointed that Christopher Lee had just a few lines.

Personally I was surprised that the Jabberwocky could speak at all.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 12:53:51

At 3/7/10 03:59 AM, boloneyman wrote: Next movie I am excited to see is Clash of the Titans, I've got the original set up in my online queue and will hopefully watch it soon. I haven't seen it in years.

That better be great. I grew up with Clash of the Titans. That's one of the movies I've seen the most amount of times in my life.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 13:33:03

At 3/7/10 06:43 AM, Auz wrote:
Personally I was surprised that the Jabberwocky could speak at all.

I thought Chrisopher Lee would have larger speaking role, since he ended up getting cut from Sweeney Todd. I'm hoping he will do the voice for Smaug if they ever make The Hobbit movie. I really liked how the battle was on a giant Chess board, (I teach Chess for a living) but it didn't feel that significant because it only lasted like five minutes. It did feel rushed like you said, but at least there is a good reason why it happened that way.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 17:57:08

Just watched 12 monkeys. I thought it was a decent movie, it made you think at times if James Cole (Willis) was actually insane, or really from the future.
Brad Pitt doesn't have a huge role, but when he's on screen he's brilliant. He acts a perfect lunatic, lol.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-07 18:43:31

At 3/7/10 05:57 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Just watched 12 monkeys. I thought it was a decent movie

That movie is great. I love Terry Gilliam. Now you should check out la Jetee, the short movie on which 12 Monkeys was based. You can probably still see it on Youtube.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-08 09:11:08

Looks like the Oscar winners have been announced.

There don't seem to be that many surprises to me, except that The Hurt Locker came out as the big winner and not Avatar. The Hurt Locker won 6 (including best picture and director) while Avatar took 'only' 3 home. Christopher Waltz won best supporting actor, "The Dude" best actor and Up was the best animated feature.

Also it's kinda funny that Sandra Bullock won a Razzie for worst actress and an Oscar for best actress in the same year. I believe that has not happened often yet.

Anyway I don't know if The Hurt Locker was that good. I heard someone who wasn't very impressed by it. Also I would have liked to see Inglourious Basterds win the one for best writing and Coraline the one for best animated feature, but that's just my opinion.

BBS Signature