00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

439,482 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 07:10:06

I watched Howls Moving Castle yesterday.

Very enjoyable animation movie. I thought it was almost as good as Spirited Away actually. I just think a few of the plot elements were not worked out that well. Mostly near the ending there were some things that seemed to come out of the blue. But other than that I'd definitely recommend it.

9/10

I'll go look for some more Miyazaki movies, because me and my girlfriend really liked them so far. Princess Monomoke seems quite interesting to me.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 16:45:46

At 3/18/10 03:33 PM, Jack wrote: Survival of the Dead is supossed to be shit - what happened Romero?

Just watched this.

It was okay. Better than Diary. Nothing new in it, but if you're a zombie fan, it's a decent hour and a half's entertainment.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 18:37:13

Ong Bak 2 is awesome

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 19:40:24

At 3/21/10 06:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Ong Bak 2 is awesome

Must. See. This.

Is it better than Warrior King or whatever its called? I thought that was a bit of let down after Ong Bak.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 19:45:46

At 3/21/10 07:40 PM, Nev wrote:
At 3/21/10 06:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Ong Bak 2 is awesome
Must. See. This.

Is it better than Warrior King or whatever its called? I thought that was a bit of let down after Ong Bak.

I don't know what movie you're talking about, but Ong Bak 2 is awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 20:06:52

At 3/21/10 07:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know what movie you're talking about, but Ong Bak 2 is awesome.

Ahh, yes. Warrior King is its UK title. I mean Tom Yun Goong/The Protector (for the US apparently).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 22:22:24

At 3/21/10 08:06 PM, Nev wrote:
At 3/21/10 07:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know what movie you're talking about, but Ong Bak 2 is awesome.
Ahh, yes. Warrior King is its UK title. I mean Tom Yun Goong/The Protector (for the US apparently).

Oh, I dunno. I thought Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, and Tom Yum Goong were all awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 18:02:59

At 3/21/10 04:45 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 3/18/10 03:33 PM, Jack wrote: Survival of the Dead is supossed to be shit - what happened Romero?
Just watched this.

It was okay. Better than Diary. Nothing new in it, but if you're a zombie fan, it's a decent hour and a half's entertainment.

Nothing can be worse than Diary of the Dead - NOTHING.

Alright, I look forward to watching this now. Hopefully Lovefilm will send it soon.

Anyway, I'm going to brave Lesbian Vampire Killers now - brb guyz

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 18:10:15

Watched the Bourne trilogy the past few nights and I have to say each of those films is tits. I loved each one :).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 18:53:10

At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Alright, I look forward to watching this now. Hopefully Lovefilm will send it soon.

There's a zombie in it who rides a horse, and the zombies themselves take a back seat to this feud between these two old Irish guys.

Don't expect too much from it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-23 08:36:11

At 3/22/10 07:57 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Nothing can be worse than Diary of the Dead - NOTHING.
It feels like my two friends and I are a small few who enjoyed the film.

I thought it was okay. Romero's worst, definitely, but certainly watchable.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-23 16:43:50

At 3/22/10 06:53 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Alright, I look forward to watching this now. Hopefully Lovefilm will send it soon.
There's a zombie in it who rides a horse, and the zombies themselves take a back seat to this feud between these two old Irish guys.

Don't expect too much from it.

Alright ta, I expect more Day then Dawn.

Incidentally, I'm not the biggest Day of the Dead fan..but look how awesome this blu-ray release looks.

I'm tempted.

At 3/22/10 07:57 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Nothing can be worse than Diary of the Dead - NOTHING.
It feels like my two friends and I are a small few who enjoyed the film.

I think my problem with Diary of the Dead, is a few weeks before I saw it, I saw [REC.] which I think did the whole 'found lost footage' thing a lot better. I believed in the characters of [REC.], I didn't believe in them in Dairy - mainly due to the hammy acting (that girl doing the voice-over was the worst of them).

I also didn't like the cheap CGI in Dairy - the floating dead bodies in the swimming pool made me lol. Overall, I just thought the film was badly executed.

However, even though I don't like Diary much, its a lot better then Lesbian Vampire Killers - which was a steaming pile of shit.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-24 15:37:31

My review of the dreadful "Maid Of Honor:"

No one likes watching something they've seen a hundred times before. Usually, a film at least tries to separate itself from the pack in one way or another- be it a big plot twist, a fancy directorial style, or a great musical score. I guess the entire crew of "Made Of Honor" never got this memo, however, as this sappy, generic romantic comedy is one of the most predictable and tedious films of the last ten years.

Do I even need to bother explaining the plot of the film? No, but I will anyway. Patrick Swayze plays Tom Bailey Jr., a womanizer who is with a different girl every week. Michelle Monaghan is Hannah. She meets Tom in college after Tom (thinking she is his date, Monica,) jumps into bed with her. He instantly likes her, and ten years later they are still good friends. This is where the real movie starts. Hannah tells Tom she has to go Scotland for her job. With her gone, Tom is depressed and bored, and realizes that he actually loves her and decides to tell her this when she gets back. The only problem? When Hannah comes back, she reveals that she is engaged to a wealthy Scotsman named Colin! Oh no!

The rest of the movie is basically Tom trying to tell Hannah his feelings. After losing the "games" to Colin, he takes Hannah out for a walk and they share a passionate kiss. So we learn that their feelings are mutual. The only problem is: WE DON'T CARE. If I could comment on one aspect of the filmmaking that stood out in some small way, I would, but there isn't anything that did. The whole film feels like one giant clichéd mess; particularly the incredibly predictable ending scene (which I won't get into for spoiler's sakes, but if you had one guess, you would probably get it right anyway).

Acting wise, the two leads do a decent job at their parts- it's not like they had much to work with in the first place. There are a couple of odd inconsistencies in the film- like why Tom (I had to look up because I'd already forgotten his name) gets a dime everytime his invention (the "coffee collar") is used. It probably doesn't even cost a dime to make. The movie's title is also very misleading- this movie isn't about Patrick Swayze becoming a maid of honor at a wedding (although that may have been more entertaining than this [may]).

Should you see this movie? Short answer: no. Long answer: well... look above you. Unless you take some masochistic pleasure in boring yourself silly for 101 minutes, than there is no reason for wasting your good money to see this derivative and dull chick flick.

0.5/5 (Abysmal)

Rating Scale:
0 - Sewage
0.5 - Abysmal
1 - Terrible
1.5 - Bad
2 - Poor
2.5 - Average
3 - Mediocre
3.5 - Above Average
4 - Great
4.5 - Superb
5 - Perfect

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-24 16:56:02

At 3/24/10 03:37 PM, Frenzy wrote: My review of the dreadful "Maid Of Honor:"

Not only did you watch the movie from beginning to end, but you bothered to type out a mini review of it? I don't understand this. What did you expect from this movie and who is this review for? Is anyone really considering seeing Made of Honor? If they are, they deserve to have to sit through it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-26 18:19:09

I went to the DVD store this afternoon and decided to buy Kill Bill Volume 1. For some strange reason the second one is on TV pretty often here, but they seldom show the first one. Last time I watched it must've been two or three years ago, so I bought it and watched it this evening.

I gotta say, it's still one of my favorite Quentin Tarentino films. I especially love the animated scene somewhere in the middle and the big fighting scene at the end is awesome too. If you have never seen it before, I strongly recommend that you give it a watch do someday.

9/10

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-26 23:21:12

Recently watched Zombieland...

Great Flick. Every Comedy/Horror fan needs to watch it, if only for the part with Bill Murray.

10/10.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-27 09:32:17

At 3/24/10 04:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Not only did you watch the movie from beginning to end, but you bothered to type out a mini review of it? I don't understand this. What did you expect from this movie and who is this review for? Is anyone really considering seeing Made of Honor? If they are, they deserve to have to sit through it.

I saw it with a bunch of friends abouta year ago and decided to write a review for it.

And whoops about teh Patrick Swayze/Dempsey typo... doy!

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-27 11:34:10

Just watched 500 Days of Summer and found it enjoyable. There was a lot I liked about it, the relationships felt real, and all the actors did an excellent job portraying them and their characters. The non-linear story telling was a cool aspect, and there were some good artistic camera work. Best part of the movie is when Joseph Gordon-Levitt is strutting and dancing to work after getting laid. The one thing that bugged me though, (SPOILER ALERT) was the fact that Summer broke up with him around day 280, and by day 480 she has met someone new, dated, gotten engaged, and then married him. I know she talked about it being fate, but that is way too short of a period for a former commitment-phobe to go though a relationship. It just felt like too much of a stretch for me.

All in all I liked it, I'm happy it wasn't your basic romantic-comedy, but more of a coming of age tale. Anyone who has been through a break will relate to this movie. 8.5/10

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-28 04:42:55

I watched Pulp Fiction yesterday. Another Quentin Tarentino movie I haven't seen in years.

I don't think this movie requires much explanation. I'm sure all you guys must've seen it at least once in your life. If you haven't then I suggest you run to the store right now and go watch it immediately as you get home. It's simply awesome and one of the best 90's movies there is (if not THE best).

10/10

At 3/27/10 11:34 AM, boloneyman wrote: All in all I liked it, I'm happy it wasn't your basic romantic-comedy, but more of a coming of age tale.

It was more like 'your basic real-life relationships' to me :p

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-29 13:22:31

I watched a South Korean movie called City of Violence, which was cool. some good fightin'. There's one scene near the middle/beginning that is especially awesome. If you want a decent foreign crime/action movie, check it out. And I watched a Chinese action movie called the Rebel, which was pretty good. some pretty impressive flips and kicks. And I saw a very strange Czech movie. Jan Svankmajer's Faust. This dude makes weird movies. I had already seen his other movie, Alice. not sure what to think of this director. He's certainly one you don't forget. I'm renting John Woo's new epic, Red Cliff, to watch next. the international, two-part version, not the condensed version.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 01:12:56

Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Goodness, that movie is slow-paced.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 12:14:13

Wahey, were close to April. Which means were close to getting our student loans through. Which means I'm close to buying fifty or so DVD's :)

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 12:30:09

At 3/30/10 12:14 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Wahey, were close to April. Which means were close to getting our student loans through. Which means I'm close to buying fifty or so DVD's :)

Wait. Could be that I misunderstand, but do you guys get like... your entire loan for the year paid at once? And is it really a 'loan' as in: you'll have to pay it back eventually?

If so then it works pretty different where I live. Every month I get about 95 euros for as long as my study minimally takes (5 years in my case). You'll only have to pay it back if you either stop your study or take longer than 10 years to finish.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 15:44:29

You get about a £1000 in three segments. So about £3000 for the entire year for living/accommodation. Plus some more depending on your families financial situation.

And while you do have to pay it back, you don't until you earn more than £16k a year and if you've not paid it off in 25 years its written off.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 17:43:52

At 3/30/10 01:12 AM, puddinN64 wrote: Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I liked it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 18:41:41

At 3/30/10 01:12 AM, puddinN64 wrote: Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm planning on watching that soon. I really like Kubrick's artistic vision, he has some of the best shots I have seen in any movie, but I haven't been too impressed by anything else in his films. I've only seen A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket so far but I'm really having trouble seeing why he is one of the most acclaimed directors of all time.

Just watched Coraline. Pretty cool movie I have to say. The stop motion was a little distracting at times, but the rich environments and fun character designs made up for it. I loved the music, and the way helps paint the dark atmosphere in some scenes. I bet it is an even better experience in 3D. 8/10

Looks like Ed Wood is next in my queue, I like me some Burton and love me some Depp.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-31 10:30:16

At 3/30/10 03:44 PM, Nev wrote: You get about a £1000 in three segments. So about £3000 for the entire year for living/accommodation. Plus some more depending on your families financial situation.

And while you do have to pay it back, you don't until you earn more than £16k a year and if you've not paid it off in 25 years its written off.

But do you still get £3,000, even if you're still living at home with your parents? Because here you can also get 3,000 euros per year, but only if you live by yourself. And 25 years to pay it back seems fair. I like how it's more of a 'gift' here though :p

Also, I think I'd prefer once a month payment to be honest. Otherwise I fear I might spent too much at once and then be totally broke for the three remaining months.

At 3/30/10 06:41 PM, boloneyman wrote: Just watched Coraline. Pretty cool movie I have to say. The stop motion was a little distracting at times, but the rich environments and fun character designs made up for it. I loved the music, and the way helps paint the dark atmosphere in some scenes. I bet it is an even better experience in 3D. 8/10

Personally I loved the dark atmosphere and the twistedness of the story. And while it's an animation movie, I don't think I'd recommend it for little kids. I'm pretty sure it would've scared the shit out of me back when I was 6.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-31 11:06:23

At 3/31/10 10:30 AM, Auz wrote: Also, I think I'd prefer once a month payment to be honest. Otherwise I fear I might spent too much at once and then be totally broke for the three remaining months.

Hence why I'm back at home for Easter. The third payment works out the best for most though. You tend to get a little extra, plus my accommodation costs only half the price it did when paying the first two instalments.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-31 18:24:28

I just watched Apocalypse Now.

I expected this to be your typical (Vietnam) war movie, but it turns out that it was far from that. In the beginning it looks like it's going in that direction, but as the movie proceeds you can feel the atmosphere getting more and more tense and stuff really gets trippy at times. The way the movie ended came as a big surprise to me. Definitely not your typical war movie like I said.

Overall 10/10. Best war movie I have ever seen.

SPOILERS
I just wanna make sure I've understood the ending correctly. Basically this Colonel was fighting the Vietcong, but was so good at it that the locals started to worship him as some kind of God. He saw the lies the government kept coming up with, he saw what the Vietnamese were prepared to do to fight the enemy. It just... drove him crazy and in the end he simply had nowhere to go. He couldn't go back to the army because they wanted him death. He couldn't leave the village he was living in. He was basically a prisoner in his own, isolated kingdom.

And so he wanted to end it, hence the words 'apocalypse now' on the gate and 'exterminate them all' in the book. Is that correct? I'm still thinking what the meaning behind it might be.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-04-01 11:39:08

At 3/31/10 06:24 PM, Auz wrote: I just watched Apocalypse Now.

I just found out that I actually watched the redux version which lasts about 50 minutes longer than the original. After reading what exactly was added, I have to say that I agree with the reviewer who claims that it's better to watch the original. I remember my only complaint I had yesterday was that the movie is very, very long. There were a few scenes where I thought they probably could've cut them and it turns out that those are exactly the scenes that were added in the redux.

So to all of you who still want to see this movie, I would look for the original and wouldn't bother with the redux. Two and a half hours is long enough.

BBS Signature