00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

125,426 Views | 1,418 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-05 14:37:57

At 6/5/09 01:42 PM, Ismael92 wrote: I have nothing against your idea, but I'd like to point out thet if you're on vacation, your medal points won't change anyway, lol.

The hotels I get set up at have net access! :P

I meant to say the other stats and whatnot but medal points came out instead.
Who knows, I could be 15 minutes into a game while on-call, getting a few medals, then dispatch says I get two 419s that happen to be miles away. I then bring up the background process or whatever, and problem solved.

I dunno. Heads fuzzy right now, migraine. Was just trying to contribute, that's all. I know people here have friends deposit for them while on vacation.

*Codes a giant script to log everyone's stats at 11:59 PM daily*

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-05 16:35:27

Indeed, that's why it wasn't done. Not because I was too lazy. Because of that. Not because I was too lazy. Yeah.

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-05 20:59:57

At 6/5/09 04:48 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 6/5/09 04:35 PM, Casualty wrote: Indeed, that's why it wasn't done. Not because I was too lazy. Because of that. Not because I was too lazy. Yeah.
Well, it wouldn't exactly be hard to do? Just run through each user and get their stats, it's like, two queries and a cron :P

I'll give you an "A" for effort, but you are missing some very important facts that make this impractical. First of, for EACH user, when you request stats, the program actually has to load up 6 separate pages of HTML from NewGrounds, read it in, parse them, and then extract the data into a stat record. Depending on the load at the NG servers, this can take anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds - and if the server is heavily loaded, some pages time out and the stats wind up partially zero.

On average, I'm seeing about 150 - 170 logs a day - and that's running about 15% of my daily bandwidth allowed on the server. So, right now, that's okay. But, dividing it out and extrapolating, that means my server will max out at 1000 logs a day. I doubt that would happen manually, but if I were to loop through all 4,000+ users on file, I would over-use bandwidth and it wouldn't be pretty.

So, automatically updating the entire database nightly - or at any time - is not an option.

Now, as for doing it automatically for a subset, or for someone "on vacation" - that would mean managing a switch or flag for each user - and would they set it themselves, or would I have to manage that myself (hint: it's NOT going to be the second option). If I leave it up to the users, it is possible that too many people would set it, and there goes the bandwidth.

Let's take a step back - why was this site made? To help users keep track of individual stats. The truth be told, if you log daily or weekly or every other week, when you average out the information, it's all the same. So, rather than trying to please everyone - and since it's impractical to log everything for everybody, we just will leave it up to each person to check for themselves. If you don't have time to make a shortcut to the site, sign in and get your stats (total time - less than 15 seconds) you're probably not B/P'ing all that much. And like I said before, it all averages out as you go.

For those who are whoring medal points, it's simple: if you want to see your name in the list, log in your stats weekly before HybridOfSouls publishes it. It's called personal responsibility. If you have the time to play the games, you can take 15 seconds a week and update your stats.

Maybe one day Newgrounds will do all of this for us automatically , but until they do, this is what we have to work with.

So, Casualty, it was never laziness - it was just impractical.

Hope this helps everyone understand why the site is the way it is - and not to stress out if you miss a log day. It's just not that important in the big picture.

So just relax, and log when you can - there's more important things in life to worry about! XD

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-06 03:39:54

Also if you're really on vacation, the solution remains VERY easy... Just ask someone to log your stats, as anyone can log anyone's stats, so yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-07 09:14:31

Don't forget about the fun. I personally love logging manually because you get excited about what new level ups may have occured in the past 15 minutes :D Particularly my whistle which has yet to be crusified.

Request an audio review. I could use some motivation.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-16 18:22:38

At 6/16/09 04:12 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Noticed the site was updated to show what IP you used when logged on, logged to mine and notice they are all different from each other, I thought that was odd.

That can happen if you have either a dial-up connection, or if your dsl / cable modem is dynamically assigned a public IP address on the fly.

Of course, it can also happen if you logged on from different places (like from your friends or family's house) - or if someone else is logging your stats.

What do you think happened here, based on the possibilities? My guess - it's your ISP dynamically assigning IP's - but I could be wrong....

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-18 23:40:56

At 6/18/09 10:11 PM, SCTE3 wrote: The only thing that the site is showing that annoys me is that my IP is always changing despite that I never ever get on here from somewhere else. I guess it's something I can't fix at all. I guess in time maybe someday my computer will settle on just one IP address forever. >_>

It just makes me feel like I'm not the only logging there and yet I am which saddens me.

Actually, it's not that bad - I log in from either my home office or my remote office - or occasionally my mom's house or my friend's place - and that's perfectly fine.

But if you see an IP address you don't recognize, click on it - the system will find ALL users that used that IP. If only yours shows up, it's just the ISP shifting IP addys. But if you see other names, well that means other people are logging for you.

To see an example, go to Pimp's basic browse page : Pimp's Info

Click on his "times logged" stats (350+). You'll see about 9 separate IP addresses.

Now, click on the IP address 24.151.18.228

Look at all those names under that one IP. Were some of these Pimp's alts? Or did Pimp log these guys just to see what they were doing? Or did a different person on the list log all these guys and Pimp as well? Or are all using the same school PC? This IP was traced to Willmantic, Connecticut, USA, under the ISP Charter Communications.

So what does this all mean? Not much, really. It's just another tool to see who's messing around where - information, the great equalizer. You're doing just fine, don't worry!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-19 00:37:23

At 6/18/09 11:40 PM, byteslinger wrote: Look at all those names under that one IP. Were some of these Pimp's alts? Or did Pimp log these guys just to see what they were doing? Or did a different person on the list log all these guys and Pimp as well? Or are all using the same school PC? This IP was traced to Willmantic, Connecticut, USA, under the ISP Charter Communications.

How incriminating...

but is fantastic... =D, something like that was necessary for a long time ago...
I remember lot of ppl asking 'who the heck log my stats'

also.. Connecticut?... are you able to see where the IP is from? how?

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-19 01:06:48

ip-adress.com and various tracer sites or progs
would type more but got stung by wasp on hand ow

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-21 16:54:12

At 5/2/09 02:17 PM, byteslinger wrote: --- Note to GFox:
I fixed the glitch you mentioned, so you should be good to go. No data lost. As for how this transfer came about: Casualty approached me and asked if I would be willing to continue the work. It seems that he is getting very busy IRL between school and work and other things, and as much as he has enjoyed putting it all together and making it a great site, he couldn't give it the attention it needs. So he wanted to pass it on to someone who would take good care of it, and keep it working right - as well as make changes and support the user community. I'm glad I can continue his work.

I'm glad that everyone has a positive attitude about this. The few issues I have encountered have been presented to me in a clear an civil way, and I do appreciate that. It does make it all worth while!

Keep on keepin' on!

Thanks for fixing all the stuff I keep finding for ya. I'm all out for now, but I'll let you know as soon as anything else presents itself. #;-}>

At 5/5/09 05:24 PM, WilhelmTheVampire wrote: Sorry for the double post, but I made a huge discovery! (I think so, anyway)

For those of you who have trouble logging on IE7, I have good news. I was trying for like a half hour to log on IE7 with no success, even after doing everything byteslinger said. So then I tried going to http://www.wkrconcepts.com/nglogs/index.
php and I logged successfully. Though I guess I have to thank gfoxcook for that because I saw his posts on byteslinger's page. Anyway I'm happy now.

Eh? Uh... you're welcome, I guess, but I have no idea to what you're referring. #;-}>

I assume a comment I left on byteslinger's profile inspired you to go to wkrconcepts.com directly instead of letting nglogs.com redirect you there?

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-21 17:59:41

At 6/18/09 10:11 PM, SCTE3 wrote: The only thing that the site is showing that annoys me is that my IP is always changing despite that I never ever get on here from somewhere else. I guess it's something I can't fix at all. I guess in time maybe someday my computer will settle on just one IP address forever. >_>

You computer has nothing to do with it. It's your ISP. An ISP buys a certain range of IP adresses they can give out to their customers. So if you log in you'll always get an IP adress out of that range (for me the first to numbers are always 84.142. for example, while the other two numbers vary), if you log out and immediatly back in again you most likely will have a different IP adress (very useful if you want to get around temoprary IP bans on rapidshare.com for example ;) ), but again out of the range your ISP offers.

You say "my IP adress changes all the time", but I say I see many similarities in there. for example there are 5 adresses beginning with 66.21., and also a few other occasions where the first two numbers are exactly the same. ;)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-23 09:18:48

How about something where you can type in the name of a useer and it will take you to there page on NG log.

[New Servers on the Way!] [Twitter] [My Site] [My NGLog]

Click on the image!

Sig by bangyouredead

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-23 09:21:55

At 6/23/09 09:18 AM, JOHNNY29 wrote: How about something where you can type in the name of a useer and it will take you to there page on NG log.

But you could simply go to the users list and ctrl + f him right? Then you just click on the times logged number and it´ll take you to his NG Log userpage...

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-23 09:48:32

The artists on newgrounds must be working hard so thats why there are not a lot of games with medals so why dont we help them be making medals for them using Medal Get! and then tell them how people can get the medal in the game also dont forget to give them your medal design.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-23 14:00:53

At 6/23/09 09:48 AM, Heatwave-the-Cat wrote: The artists on newgrounds must be working hard so thats why there are not a lot of games with medals so why dont we help them be making medals for them using Medal Get! and then tell them how people can get the medal in the game also dont forget to give them your medal design.

So, tell me this: what exactly does this have to do with NG Logs? All the log site does is keep track of counts and stats in a database - it's not a programmers site.

I think you have the wrong forum...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-23 15:23:30

At 6/23/09 02:00 PM, byteslinger wrote:
So, tell me this: what exactly does this have to do with NG Logs? All the log site does is keep track of counts and stats in a database - it's not a programmers site.

I think you have the wrong forum...

Sorry my bad I am not use to forums yet.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-25 08:38:19

Hello once again guys, yes, l have another problem, l'm not sure if it has 100% to do with NGlogs but it's not the site so l'll post it anyway.
When l run Portal Guard l get this error message:

The install runs fine and l have that file in my "Portal Guard" folder so l can't see why do l get this message..

NG Log Ideas

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-25 08:39:20

At 6/25/09 08:38 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Hello once again guys, yes, l have another problem, l'm not sure if it has 100% to do with NGlogs but it's not the site so l'll post it anyway.

Uh, l meant "it's ON the site".

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-25 11:06:55

At 6/25/09 08:38 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Hello once again guys, yes, l have another problem, l'm not sure if it has 100% to do with NGlogs but it's not the site so l'll post it anyway.
When l run Portal Guard l get this error message:

The install runs fine and l have that file in my "Portal Guard" folder so l can't see why do l get this message..

It is possible that the OCX did not register correctly. You can manually register this OCX as follows:

1) Start a command prompt session
2) Change your folder to the folder where the "mswinsck.ocx" is found
3) Once you've made that the current folder, type:

C:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe mswinsck.ocx

And then press ENTER to run the command.

Also, we have not done a lot of testing with Vista, so if you are running that, you may want to make sure you're running the program in XP-compatibility mode.

Give it a try, and let me know how that works. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-26 01:59:00

At 6/25/09 11:06 AM, byteslinger wrote:
It is possible that the OCX did not register correctly. You can manually register this OCX as follows:

Also, we have not done a lot of testing with Vista, so if you are running that, you may want to make sure you're running the program in XP-compatibility mode.

1.I can't run a command prompt (I mean, the PC doesen't let me)
2.I don't have windows XP..but the program works fine when l start Vista in Safe Mode...wtf.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-26 11:53:46

At 6/26/09 01:59 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 6/25/09 11:06 AM, byteslinger wrote:

1.I can't run a command prompt (I mean, the PC doesen't let me)
2.I don't have windows XP..but the program works fine when l start Vista in Safe Mode...wtf.

This is why I hate Vista. It appears that the program needs to be run in XP-compatible mode - and even then, it still may not work right. As for the command prompt, that's odd. Try clicking on [START] then [Run...] and then type in CMD and press <enter>. See if you can get the command prompt using that trick.

And before you ask (because I hear it coming): Although I took over the NG Logs site, I do NOT have the source code for Casualty's Portal Guard. I think I remember him saying that he may have lost the source in a system crash a while back, and if that's the case, I'd have to rebuild it from the ground-up. I'll PM him and see what the story is - and if I can get the code and tweak it for Vista, well, that would be nice. But I'm not sure where we stand, so it's going to be a shot in the dark.

In the meantime, check out this page for help in setting up Portal Guard in XP mode in vista:

XP Compatibility in Vista (HowTo)

Try that out - and I'll contact Casualty to see what he has.

Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-27 03:39:35

At 6/26/09 11:53 AM, byteslinger wrote:
This is why I hate Vista. It appears that the program needs to be run in XP-compatible mode - and even then, it still may not work right. As for the command prompt, that's odd. Try clicking on [START] then [Run...] and then type in CMD and press <enter>. See if you can get the command prompt using that trick.

I told you, l can't run the command prompt..

And before you ask (because I hear it coming): Although I took over the NG Logs site, I do NOT have the source code for Casualty's Portal Guard. I think I remember him saying that he may have lost the source in a system crash a while back, and if that's the case, I'd have to rebuild it from the ground-up. I'll PM him and see what the story is - and if I can get the code and tweak it for Vista, well, that would be nice. But I'm not sure where we stand, so it's going to be a shot in the dark.

In the meantime, check out this page for help in setting up Portal Guard in XP mode in vista:

XP Compatibility in Vista (HowTo)

Try that out - and I'll contact Casualty to see what he has.

Good luck!

Actually, you know what?
Remember when l told you that l ran Vista in Safe Mode (with networking) and it worked?
Well, apparently this "activated" the file so now it works on Vista too!
Awesomeness!

NG Log Ideas

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-27 14:19:05

At 6/27/09 03:39 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 6/26/09 11:53 AM, byteslinger wrote:
I told you, l can't run the command prompt..

She was just making sure you'd tried a less obvious way of running a command prompt than the usual selecting it from the Programs area of the Start Menu.

Actually, you know what?
Remember when l told you that l ran Vista in Safe Mode (with networking) and it worked?
Well, apparently this "activated" the file so now it works on Vista too!
Awesomeness!

Weirdness. Oh well, moot point now.

I've never had to use Vista's Safe Mode in just over 1 year of having a Vista Desktop, so... I consider myself lucky (so far...).

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-28 04:59:30

At 6/27/09 02:19 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Weirdness. Oh well, moot point now.

I've never had to use Vista's Safe Mode in just over 1 year of having a Vista Desktop, so... I consider myself lucky (so far...).

Lol, l guess you are lucky..well, l didn't use it BECAUSE portal guard wasn't wroking, but still, it solved my problem, so yeah..

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-28 12:58:27

I've a new quote in the memory of everyone's favorite Pitchman

"YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH WHEN BILLY MAYS IS TALKING!"

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-28 15:23:06

At 6/28/09 12:58 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: I've a new quote in the memory of everyone's favorite Pitchman

"YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH WHEN BILLY MAYS IS TALKING!"

No. Not my style...sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-28 15:44:23

Well, we need some Billy Mays quotes, dunno if you have any Jacko quotes. He has my same birthday (Jacko.) *Mourn.*

Just one I would like to see, short, simple.. concise. Three exclamation points are required.

"Hi, Billy Mays here- with OxiClean!!!"

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-28 17:50:52

At 6/28/09 03:44 PM, KrevZabijak wrote: Well, we need some Billy Mays quotes, dunno if you have any Jacko quotes. He has my same birthday (Jacko.) *Mourn.*

Just one I would like to see, short, simple.. concise. Three exclamation points are required.

"Hi, Billy Mays here- with OxiClean!!!"

Hmmm...I gues we could add some quotes if they were funny or in general good nature - or at least not too offensive. Something like:

"What do Michael Jackson and Billy Mays have in common? One sold you a product to get the stains out of your expensive, colored clothes without turning them white, and the other was a colored guy turning white while wearing expensive clothes!"

And before the politically correct police start jumping up and down on this thread, this was done in good natured fun. I am sorry that they both passed - I'm sure it's a rough time for all the families. But I have this nasty habit of cracking jokes at funerals to break the tension. My way of not taking death too seriously.

So, if you want ANY quotes added to the database, I ask that you get together at least 10 at a time and put them in a PM to me - I like to add them in bunches, not one at a time....

At 6/28/09 04:42 PM, Lizzardis wrote: Hey Byte. I've been wanted to ask this question for a long time. Do you have any control over "user of the day" of NGLogs?

'Cause the only ones that come up most frequent are those who have only logged their stats a few times. I was just saying and all, what's the use of making someone user of the day if they have only logged their stats once.....How about you give it to people who log it frequent.

I may just be being picky, I'm sorry if it am.

Yeah, I noticed that too. So, I just made the change a few minutes ago that the UOTD must have at least 30 logs to be selected now - that would make them somewhat active and worthy of the title. I called it "Lizzardis' logic", after your suggestion - see, you ARE special! :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-29 11:38:43

At 6/29/09 11:18 AM, Lizzardis wrote:
At 6/28/09 05:50 PM, byteslinger wrote: see, you ARE special! :)
Yey! I feel spacial now! Haha.

Just one problem....Today's User of the day.....Hmmmm. Haha!

Did you check again - must have been a misprint!!! damn editors....

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-07-08 04:46:17

When ever I get stats, it does something silly, like tell me I have no reviews, or anything like that. Here is one screenshot of the last silly thing it did.

NG Log Ideas

If you are reading this, it means I have posted. Whether or not I am still posting, this has left its mark, for many years to come.

BBS Signature