00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RandomGuyTV just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

125,429 Views | 1,418 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 22:01:54

At 5/24/09 09:31 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: What did you think about my other ideas for the cache Byte?

They're all good - and the next time I update the quote database, I'll toss them in. I'm working on some back-end behind-the-scene cleanups - nothing earth-shaking, just some efficiencies that I want to do. Give me a few days and they'll be in.

At 5/24/09 09:35 PM, idiot-buster wrote: Hay byteslinger i was looking through your affiliations and the one that counts the top 500 posters does not seem to work. Maybe you can make a list similar, adding all of the newgrounds users and not just the ones signed up to NGlog. This is only a suggestion not a command @;-}>

Sorry that the link doesn't work - that's one of the things I'm trying to clean up (see above).

As for keeping track of lists of people not in NG Logs - I don't think I really have that much time. I will be building more tools , lists and gadgets in the future for the site, but to search and track all the possible non-logged users for stats is not in the cards. Bahamut does the BP Ranks top 300, Ismael92 manages the EGB ranking, HybridOfSouls manages the medal list, and I'm sure there are others, and it takes a lot of time to keep the lists updated. The NGLogs website is keeping me very busy, but most of all, I'd rather find a way to automate the list processes.

The biggest challenge is figuring out which of the tens of thousands of registered NG users are new to a list. I don't have direct access to any database on NG - I have to pull each user's data individually from their own stat pages - and even that isn't perfect.

So, I appreciate the suggestion, but right now, I have to stick to "registered" user management - just not enough time for much else. It's a good idea - just need to find someone to run with it :)

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-25 00:09:59

Hey Slinga, are you going to rectify that old "Sk8ergirl14's stats per day are" message in the future? :)

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-25 21:35:57

At 5/25/09 12:09 AM, KrevZabijak wrote: Hey Slinga, are you going to rectify that old "Sk8ergirl14's stats per day are" message in the future? :)

For you, Krev - anything, my dear. It's done...

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-25 23:09:44

At 5/25/09 09:35 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 5/25/09 12:09 AM, KrevZabijak wrote: Hey Slinga, are you going to rectify that old "Sk8ergirl14's stats per day are" message in the future? :)

WHOOHOO!!! LESBIAN ACTION!!! I kid I kid, I didn't even notice that message till Krev pointed it out to me.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-25 23:51:19

At 5/25/09 11:09 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote:
WHOOHOO!!! LESBIAN ACTION!!! I kid I kid, I didn't even notice that message till Krev pointed it out to me.

You have quite the imagination, my pre-pubescent little tadpole. How the hell do you even imply lesbian content from my statement? You definitely need to get out more. And yes, I am fully aware that it's one of the top five fantasies of most young men to see (or possibly get involved with) a pair of girls going at it. Well, let me let you in on a secret: you've got better odds of hitting the lottery or discovering oil in your back yard than ever seeing g-on-g IRL.

Anyways, I'm trying to run a (somewhat) respectful thread here, so let's try to keep it clean. You never know who's reading this - and I don't want the thread locked if Wade or Tom think it's getting out of hand...So, to quote Mr. T: "Be cool, fool!"

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-26 00:02:44

Hey, I'm not pre-pubescent, I'm 18, almost 19. Also, I'll watch it from now on, sorry Byte.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-26 09:26:13

At 5/26/09 12:02 AM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Hey, I'm not pre-pubescent, I'm 18, almost 19. Also, I'll watch it from now on, sorry Byte.

No problem. Sorry about the pre-pubescent remark - just wanted to point out how easy it is to jump to conclusions. It's all good - no harm, no foul. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-26 11:21:50

Why isn't simply her sign-up date corrected on NGlogs? I mean when you go to sk8ergirl14.newgrounds.com you see that it says "Sign-Up Date: 5/5/03"
However, on NGlogs it says "Time on NG: 1 year(s), 9 month(s) and 27 day(s) (=666 days)"

5/5/03 is hardly 1 year and 10 months ago... ;)

So, just put in the correct sign-up date and all "per day" stats will be correct again.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-26 11:37:31

At 5/26/09 11:31 AM, Lizzardis wrote:
At 5/26/09 11:21 AM, Haggard wrote: Why isn't simply her sign-up date corrected on NGlogs? I mean when you go to sk8ergirl14.newgrounds.com you see that it says "Sign-Up Date: 5/5/03"
Questions: What's so special about sk8ergirl14?

Nothing. She just swapped accounts with R3df0x (so the former r3df0x is now sk8tergirl and the former sk8girl is now r3df0x) which caused her "stats per day" to skyrocket. Because on NGlog (now NGlogs ;) ) was still the newer signup date, but the stats from another account. So right now she averages 17 Exp per day and so on.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-26 12:31:11

At 5/26/09 11:21 AM, Haggard wrote:
Why isn't simply her sign-up date corrected on NGlogs? I mean when you go to sk8ergirl14.newgrounds.com you see that it says "Sign-Up Date: 5/5/03"
However, on NGlogs it says "Time on NG: 1 year(s), 9 month(s) and 27 day(s) (=666 days)"

5/5/03 is hardly 1 year and 10 months ago... ;)

So, just put in the correct sign-up date and all "per day" stats will be correct again.

As you correctly suggested, I have manually changed Sk8erGirl14's account to reflect the sign-up date of 05/05/2003. I signed in and logged her stats for today to test the calcs, and now it shows that she's been on 6+ years. I think this will do it. Thanks for the suggestion, Haggard! :)

Side note: I had tried to get the URL "www.nglog.com", but it was taken. But when I made it plural (www.nglogs.com) that was available. It was a minor change - but it was enough to let us have our own url, and let users be aware that the NG Log programs were now on a different server.

Details, details, details....

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-26 12:42:59

At 5/26/09 12:31 PM, byteslinger wrote: As you correctly suggested, I have manually changed Sk8erGirl14's account to reflect the sign-up date of 05/05/2003. I signed in and logged her stats for today to test the calcs, and now it shows that she's been on 6+ years. I think this will do it. Thanks for the suggestion, Haggard! :)

Thank you for finally correcting this small yet somewhat annoying error. :)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-27 02:13:59

Thank you, fuck Sk8ergirl technical accuracy. I hope I start a my dear (female) my boy (male) fad. My dear, ByteSlingre what happened to the *so stfu now after the asterisk under the users grand total of stats. I found that funny. So what easter eggs have you put it.

Also I am getting 21,639,539 Exp pts. when I enter my current exp ratio Under the Your Max Points. Its not hard to figure it out, but some impatient people might get scared and confused.

More non-quotes could be added to the random message center. Like your favorite things or bashing FF.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-27 03:30:16

At 5/27/09 02:13 AM, iscrulz wrote: Thank you, fuck Sk8ergirl technical accuracy.

HEY FUCK YOU TECHNICAL ACCURACY PRIMES!! WHAT IS THIS SHIT GOING AROUND HERE!!!

I should have kept NG Log for myself never have passed it to someone else god damn mumble mumble...

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-27 07:56:04

At 5/27/09 03:30 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 5/27/09 02:13 AM, iscrulz wrote: Thank you, fuck Sk8ergirl technical accuracy.

Lol!

But how accurate is it when the sign up-date says "2005" and yet NG Log was telling me the account was registered 1 year ago? :P

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-27 10:03:05

At 5/27/09 03:30 AM, Casualty wrote:

I should have kept NG Log for myself never have passed it to someone else god damn mumble mumble...

I agree it should be as accurate as possible. But the system is only as good as the data in it, and when people change names and log records are split or shifted, well, it gets a little fuzzy there.

With the exception of SCTE3 and Sk8rGirl14 (both of which had name changes) I haven't touched any of the other data, or how it's captured or calculated. However, I have analyzed the activity on the files, and discovered that less than 12% of the registered users log their activity on a regular (or semi-regular) basis. So, that means the other 88% of the user's stats are NOT current.

Which means that when a user (who logs their stats every day) checks the ranking lists, they have no idea how accurate it is, because they cannot account for other users accuracy.

So, technically, the data is accurate - each record is a valid snapshot of the user's account at the time it was taken. But on a record-by-record basis, there is no guarantee that it is current, so overall, the rankings and comparative statistics aren't accurate.

But the users of the system know that - I think that most people who log their stats are really only concerned with what they are doing from day to day. So, as a tool for that, it works just fine.

And seriously, are you regretting your decision to pass the site on? I thought I was doing a decent job in handling it...hmmmmm.....

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-27 10:15:49

At 5/27/09 02:13 AM, iscrulz wrote:
Thank you, fuck Sk8ergirl technical accuracy. I hope I start a my dear (female) my boy (male) fad. My dear, ByteSlingre what happened to the *so stfu now after the asterisk under the users grand total of stats. I found that funny. So what easter eggs have you put it.

I made some minor changes to various text messages and comments just to clean it up a little. While I am no prude, and can probably out-curse most of you (no, not a challenge - just a statement of fact) I generally do not use coarse language on the websites I develop or maintain. It's just who I am.

As for the Easter Eggs - what fun would it be if I told you what and where they were?

Also I am getting 21,639,539 Exp pts. when I enter my current exp ratio Under the Your Max Points. Its not hard to figure it out, but some impatient people might get scared and confused.

It's just a numeric calculation. GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out)

More non-quotes could be added to the random message center. Like your favorite things or bashing FF.

Not really into bashing any particular group (even if they deserve it). But I don't have a problem adding random thoughts or silliness. As for what I like - nah, this site is supported by me - it's not about me. But thanks for the ideas...

(Sorry about the double post)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-27 10:34:14

Hahah don't worry byteslinger, that was just a joke. Yeah, I guess it was hard to tell from that post but still.

And you ARE doing a decent job on NG Log, more than that may I add ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-30 00:25:16

At 5/27/09 10:34 AM, Casualty wrote: Hahah don't worry byteslinger, that was just a joke. Yeah, I guess it was hard to tell from that post but still.

And you ARE doing a decent job on NG Log, more than that may I add ;)

Don't worry man... you will always be my favorite NgLog webmaster... =D

btw...
I found some repeated quotes BS

85 "Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place. -Billy Crystal"
210 "Women need a reason to have sex -- men just need a place." -Billy Crystal.

I mean... c'mon... XD, jk

I will be looking if i found another one, anyway, i already read the first 130
i'm going slow, to learn something every day from there =)

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-30 01:02:29

At 5/26/09 12:42 PM, Haggard wrote: Thank you for finally correcting this small yet somewhat annoying error. :)

Hooray! My OCD finally did some good!

*Does the Liz Feldman happy dance.*

And yes, Spiff, if you read this, I am quite aware I am obsessed with her. Don't get jealous either, Lizzardis.

I don't care. <3

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-30 18:54:17

At 5/30/09 01:02 AM, KrevZabijak wrote:
At 5/26/09 12:42 PM, Haggard wrote: Thank you for finally correcting this small yet somewhat annoying error. :)
Hooray! My OCD finally did some good!

*Does the Liz Feldman happy dance.*

Glad I could make your little heart happy, Krev.

And yes, Spiff, if you read this, I am quite aware I am obsessed with her. Don't get jealous either, Lizzardis.

I don't mind the attention - it's kind of flattering. Just don't make me need to get a restraining order, k?

I don't care. <3

Well, actually, I think you do. We can be friends here - no need for rivalry.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-01 19:06:12

So why the hell did I get a virus alert the last time I went to this website?

|NG Is Dead|

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-01 19:55:13

At 6/1/09 07:06 PM, Phantox wrote: So why the hell did I get a virus alert the last time I went to this website?

A virus alert on what? Your iPod? McAfee or Norton, both known for false alerts? IE? Through a Google link? (the red "malicious" page?)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-01 22:41:57

At 6/1/09 07:06 PM, Phantox wrote: So why the hell did I get a virus alert the last time I went to this website?

Well, first off, this code is now on completely different server, with a whole different set of security rules. I believe that on the original site the code was compromised and certain "invisible" links were added to the pages. These links triggered your antivirus program to complain - and rightfully so.

When I took over the code and moved it to the new server, not only did I remove any of the invisible links, I also tightened up the parameter and database security, as well as the general website access. I had seen these types of trojans before, and I know how to protect against them.

The site has been moved since May 1st - just about a month - and everything has been running smoothly. This is one of the reasons why Casualty passed the site on to me - not that he didn't care, because he did - but he just didn't have enough time IRL to balance school, home, job, studies, family life and maintaining the site. Something had to give, and this was it.

So, now I take care of the site, and since it resides on my company's server, we are constantly monitoring the system and making sure nothing has been compromised. Should we encounter a problem, rest assured it will be resolved as fast as humanly possible.

I invite you to try using NG Logs again - I think you'll be pleased with what's been done - and there are more things planned down the line to make the site easier to navigate and easier to manage and view your progress.

I hoped this helped you a bit. Enjoy!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-03 21:04:51

On this page, clicking on the level icon takes you to Casualty's profile. I suppose you forgot to change that (unless it was made on purpose, of course).

:)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-03 23:55:53

on List
how about fixing the records ranks...

I mean, the rank are like...
EG Second Lieutenant: 5
EG First Lieutenant: 8

and (obviously) we don't have those old ones anymore

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-04 02:44:55

Don't know if anyone else has this problem, and I looked through the last 8 pages doing a ctrl-f for pace check didn't find nothing, but I tried to do the pace check from when I first start logging stuff on nglogs until today, and it gave me an error that says wrong user ID. I'm logged in just fine, got my stats etc. Do you know about this bug?
Wanted my pace since my return on NG to see how long before I get to certain points, etc...

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-04 23:36:28

At 6/3/09 09:04 PM, Ismael92 wrote: On this page, clicking on the level icon takes you to Casualty's profile. I suppose you forgot to change that (unless it was made on purpose, of course).

)

Oops. Forgot that link. It now points to my account. Thanks for the heads-up!

At 6/3/09 11:55 PM, aldlv wrote: on List

I mean, the rank are like...
EG Second Lieutenant: 5
EG First Lieutenant: 8
and (obviously) we don't have those old ones anymore

Check the lists now - I updated the page completely - no longer a long list - we now have bar graphs!

At 6/4/09 02:44 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote: Don't know if anyone else has this problem, and I looked through the last 8 pages doing a ctrl-f for pace check didn't find nothing, but I tried to do the pace check from when I first start logging stuff on nglogs until today, and it gave me an error that says wrong user ID. I'm logged in just fine, got my stats etc. Do you know about this bug?
Wanted my pace since my return on NG to see how long before I get to certain points, etc...

It's fixed now. Had a minor Javascript logic problem that sometimes made it fail. The code has been changed, and should be working fine for you now.

Thanks to all of you for bringing these things to my attention. No one likes a sloppy site!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-04 23:51:46

At 6/4/09 11:36 PM, byteslinger wrote:
It's fixed now. Had a minor Javascript logic problem that sometimes made it fail. The code has been changed, and should be working fine for you now.

Thanks to all of you for bringing these things to my attention. No one likes a sloppy site!

That's some great tech support there byteslinger, good fast, effective work! Awesome.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-05 00:10:53

I know this most certainly has been postulated before, but what about an option to log one's stats daily with a script, for those who go on vacation or want to keep their medal points constantly updated?
I know that would be one hell of a cronjob (*rimshot*) and maybe some kind of off-site deal could be rigged up.
Or someone more motivated than I could do a visbasic.net dealie so each user can have a background process running on their own machine, much like the Portal Guard, allowing user input of which time of day to log one's stats.

I just consumed 190mg of caffeine (those 2oz AMP shots are.. interesting.) So, that's my excuse for posting this. :)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-06-05 13:42:13

At 6/4/09 11:36 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 6/3/09 09:04 PM, Ismael92 wrote: On this page, clicking on the level icon takes you to Casualty's profile. I suppose you forgot to change that (unless it was made on purpose, of course).

)
Oops. Forgot that link. It now points to my account. Thanks for the heads-up!

No problem, I'm glad to help :D

At 6/3/09 11:55 PM, aldlv wrote: on List
Check the lists now - I updated the page completely - no longer a long list - we now have bar graphs!

Those graphs are great :) They looked a little confusing at first, but when you get used to them it's much easier to compare the info.

At 6/5/09 12:10 AM, KrevZabijak wrote: I know this most certainly has been postulated before, but what about an option to log one's stats daily with a script, for those who go on vacation or want to keep their medal points constantly updated?

I have nothing against your idea, but I'd like to point out thet if you're on vacation, your medal points won't change anyway, lol.