00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

htffan2000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sprite Club

508,747 Views | 8,375 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sprite Club 2003-03-20 18:02:25

At 3/18/03 04:13 AM, Dark__Knight wrote: Hey , hows the crew going !

Crews doing decent, i guess, we have a bit of a lack of interest...and to everyone who asked about the pop, it's getting old, it was funny at first, but now it's just lame. So Come on and join if ur interested in Sprites (the bit kind, not the pop kind ;))

Response to Sprite Club 2003-04-03 11:38:19

I tryed to make that custom sprite a while back....totally didn't work...it was just plain shitty.

I'm also making this post to give the club a bump back to the front page. I'll just review the guidelines

You can join if you have quesions about sprites, and wanna learn how to make them, you can join if you have any interest in them, and you can join if you like video games in general...the point is JOIN!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-04-03 16:57:52

I made a custom sprite.

It's Bass Reaper!

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-04-05 00:07:53

At 4/3/03 04:57 PM, JimReaper wrote: I made a custom sprite.

It's Bass Reaper!

...dude...no...don't even try...ok, it's not a custom sprite if u just change some colors around...its just LAME if u do that....i can recomend a few sprite tutorials if anyone (including this schmoe) needs em. just lemme know

Response to Sprite Club 2003-04-05 15:25:28

BUMP

Response to Sprite Club 2003-04-06 01:36:05

Alright, this is the last post i'm gonna make until i have other people respond.
The club is for helping n00bs interested in sprites, along with anyone who just needs help, almost all are welcome, so long as they have some sort of interest.

Thats it till we get some new members

Response to Sprite Club 2003-04-14 01:32:29

u guys suck at makeing sprites
look at this one

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-05-04 15:46:19

At 4/14/03 01:32 AM, megaman_dark wrote: u guys suck at makeing sprites
look at this one

See, THATS a sprite. Calling different colored sprites custom sprites is just sad. Thats a nicely animated sprite with a transparent BG. People need to realize how to make transparent bacggrounds, and how to animate sprites and such...

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-20 15:03:37

heh i found this is the back of the clubz so i decided to post plus i'm interested in sprites. btw how do you make trasparent br on sprites. that would be a big help

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-23 09:02:13

i use sprites, actucually i just create animated sprites but i do have a movie that has sprites in it. http://newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=96815

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-23 09:19:45

At 6/23/03 09:02 AM, FaithoftheFallen wrote: i use sprites, actucually i just create animated sprites but i do have a movie that has sprites in it. http://newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=96815

I watched your movie, it's not bad in my opinion. It was funny, deserves a better score, here:

Thanks for your voting KoRnFreakeR!
You gave this entry a 5! Your voting power is 6.51 and you raised it's score from 1.45 to 1.48!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-23 10:47:13

At 6/23/03 09:19 AM, KoRnFreakeR wrote:

I watched your movie, it's not bad in my opinion. It was funny, deserves a better score, here:

Thanks for your voting KoRnFreakeR!
You gave this entry a 5! Your voting power is 6.51 and you raised it's score from 1.45 to 1.48!

thanks...

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-25 20:40:11

May I join the Sprite club? I wanna learn how to give some and animation and crap to it.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-25 23:56:28

Iluv to drink sprite..thats why i want to join this club...

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 03:42:25

Though there hasn't been a great deal of info sharing on this thread yet, I figure I'll give it a try since I just recently started trying my hand at sprites (about one full week now).
I'm a career freelance writer / multimedia artist and I figured I'd like to add sprite creation to my repetoir. The site I used to study the physical aspects of sprites is The Shyguy Kingdom which has an awesome selection of sprite sheets! My BBS sig pic is my very first attempt at animated sprites. Hopefully, this crew will get into full swing soon!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 06:25:41

ive made a couple basic sprite animations with bnb sprites so can i join heres a couple custom sprites i made oh and if your going to look at my animations dont watch beavis matrix long load 20 seconds of animation big nono

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 12:20:43

hello can i join or not does anybody look at this thread

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 13:36:02

At 6/26/03 03:42 AM, DocMonster wrote: Though there hasn't been a great deal of info sharing on this thread yet, I figure I'll give it a try since I just recently started trying my hand at sprites (about one full week now).
I'm a career freelance writer / multimedia artist and I figured I'd like to add sprite creation to my repetoir. The site I used to study the physical aspects of sprites is The Shyguy Kingdom which has an awesome selection of sprite sheets! My BBS sig pic is my very first attempt at animated sprites. Hopefully, this crew will get into full swing soon!

i totally agree w/you there this clup nees to get up and running again.. it was a good concept and i'd like to join if its no problem... i've been doing sprite makin for almost 7 months.. and just getting the hang of costom sprites...

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 13:37:38

At 6/26/03 03:42 AM, DocMonster wrote: Hopefully, this crew will get into full swing soon!

i totally agree w/you there this clup nees to get up and running again.. it was a good concept and i'd like to join if its no problem... i've been doing sprite makin for almost 7 months.. and just getting the hang of costom sprites...

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 14:08:20

HOLY SPOOT, FaithoftheFallen! I really dig that last animated sprite you posted! Is that a custom job or did you rip it from somewhere and, if so, where? Now, you've been working the past 7 months on custom sprites - is it just a hobby or is it somehow work related? Any tips you can pass on to other folks trolling this thread?
Again, I really dig that last sprite! Thanks for sharing!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 15:13:54

At 6/26/03 02:08 PM, DocMonster wrote: HOLY SPOOT, FaithoftheFallen! I really dig that last animated sprite you posted! Is that a custom job or did you rip it from somewhere and, if so, where? Now, you've been working the past 7 months on custom sprites - is it just a hobby or is it somehow work related? Any tips you can pass on to other folks trolling this thread?
Again, I really dig that last sprite! Thanks for sharing!

btw sorry for the double post... any ways i've just made it a hobby. that sprite isn't custom(so to say), but its not ripped either. i got it from a sprite sheet and created the different movements... hmmm tips... lets see... want anything specific ask but thats about it...

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 16:15:55

At 6/26/03 03:13 PM, FaithoftheFallen wrote: ... any ways i've just made it a hobby. that sprite isn't custom(so to say), but its not ripped either. i got it from a sprite sheet and created the different movements... hmmm tips... lets see... want anything specific ask but thats about it...

Fair enough. Where do you get your sprite sheets and what program do you use to create custom sprites?

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 16:34:32

hey doc monster can i join the sprite club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 16:40:34

At 6/26/03 04:15 PM, DocMonster wrote:
Fair enough. Where do you get your sprite sheets and what program do you use to create custom sprites?

i get my sheets at shyguykingdom.com and i use flash to make animated custom and paitshop for nonanimated custom... but i can't do costom sprites very well.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 17:29:58

At 6/26/03 04:34 PM, nico1uk wrote: hey doc monster can i join the sprite club

Greetings, nico1uk! I can't say whether or not you can join the club - that's IncurableGimp's department since he created it. I'm not even sure I'm part of the club, but I like posting here and I'll keep the posts coming until I run out of questions / tips or I'm kicked off. Have you worked with sprites before?

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 17:50:16

At 6/26/03 04:40 PM, FaithoftheFallen wrote: i get my sheets at shyguykingdom.com and i use flash to make animated custom and paitshop for nonanimated custom... but i can't do costom sprites very well.

Thanks for the info! Since I'm very new to the artform, my process for making custom sprites is rather long and drawn out. It's gonna take me some time before I learn to streamline it. Right now, I'm just interested in getting them to look right. I'll worry about economy of time later.

I work on a Mac with Photoshop (PS), Illustrator (AI) and Flash MX (FMX). First, I draw the sprite on paper (I'm still VERY old fashioned that way) and scan it into PS saving it as a PS file. I bring the PS file into AI, clean it up and color it with highlights and shadows. I then take the new AI image and shrink it down to the average sprite size. I select the image and copy it.
Back in PS, I open a new file making sure the background is transparent. I paste in the AI image making sure there is no check mark in the anti-alias box - this retains the blocky look. Then I select the pencil tool and touch it up. Once retouched, I save it as a PNG file since I find that file type is most successful at retaining the transparent background when importing into FMX.
In FMX, I select the object, go to Modify > Trace Bitmap. Once that's done, I group it. Unless I'm going to tween the image, I don't bother converting it to a graphic symbol since I don't need to.
That's the LOOONG way right now, but it works for me just fine. The first few steps I'm used to already since that's how I start off all my Flash projects. The only thing that takes time there is waiting for the scanner to warm up.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 21:13:55

Here are couple of the first sprites I've done. On another thread, someone offered to make custom sprites. Someone asked him for A-Bot and P-Bot and even supplied ref pics. As of this post, the customizer has yet to make them and strangely has never posted any samples of his work so I figured I'd try my hand at them. I still have a bit more to learn in creating sprite art, but I don't think I'm too far off. Enjoy!

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 22:14:02

you hand draw them or take a picture then put them on your pc. man all i do is find a site or rip 'em myself... plus all i do is import the image to flash and then modify, trace bitmap, clear out the backround, set the publish settings to animate, transparent backround, and then publish...(between i add animation if i need or want too)...

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 22:31:15

At 6/26/03 10:14 PM, FaithoftheFallen wrote: you hand draw them or take a picture then put them on your pc.

I either draw the sprite freehand or, in the case of A-Bot and P-Bot, I recreate it in Illustrator. I've tried just pixelating pictures, but I don't seem to get the desired effect. The only time I use ripped sprites is to see how they're animated and to check their color schemes.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-06-26 23:18:17

At 6/26/03 10:31 PM, DocMonster wrote:
I either draw the sprite freehand or, in the case of A-Bot and P-Bot, I recreate it in Illustrator. I've tried just pixelating pictures, but I don't seem to get the desired effect. The only time I use ripped sprites is to see how they're animated and to check their color schemes.

thats good its better to make your own anyway... so you can't get into a lawsuit or anything... but i can't draw for shit. pencil paper, or digitally. so i'm screwed in that department anyway...