00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chineeztac0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

metal gear solid club

140,441 Views | 3,407 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-02 17:24:12

I got Big Boss rank playing Sons of Liberty. At least I'm pretty sure I did, since Kojima's Clear Codes are no longer active. May I join?

I even have strategies for beating every boss on Extreme for Big Boss rank. I know every room of MGS2 like the back of my hand.

Sort of.

I'll post everything later.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-02 18:17:32

Glad to see we have some enthusastic MGS fans signing up. Welcome aboard! We don't have ranks or numbers, though.

As for MGS4, what I'm curious about is whether or not it'll still be called Metal Gear Solid. Kojima said that Snake Eater would be the last Solid title, but as we all know, he has a habit of changing his mind.

So, do you think Konami will stick with Solid or go for something different? If so, what are you're suggestions. It may seem predictable, but I think Metal Gear Liquid sounds awesome.

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest

"Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-02 19:47:31

Of course. I absolutely loved Metal Gear Solid back when I've been playing it on PSX, now I wish I had the other MGS games to try and get Big Boss rank for them.

Anyone else beat the MGS games on Extreme or got Big Boss rank?

Extreme mode is such a challenge, I loved it the first time I played through Sons of Liberty, it gave me that thrill and anxiousness of going through each part of the game, wondering "Oh shit, how many targets do I have to knock out?" or "How tough is this guy now?!"

Here is my changes for Extreme boss difficulty, and my suggestions for how they could be a lot more difficult.

Fortune:

- She now fires her Rail Gun with no lag or charge time.
- She fires two shots in rapid succession instead of just one.
- When the elevator starts coming down, Fortune will actually try to lead you and fire ahead of where you're running in Strut A.
- Two shots at full health and you're gone.

Fatman:

- Fatman now guards one of the bomb locations every time he arms them, firing at you until you bat him away with your SOCOM.
- He plants up to FIVE bombs at once at 40 seconds, or four bombs at 20 seconds.
- He will NOT call for recess from bombs. EVER.

The Harrier: Arguably the easiest boss in the game once you figure out its attack pattern on Extreme.

- The Harrier moves a lot faster, its jet streams are very short making it difficult to track if it flies off.
- When the Harrier turns around to do a fly-by with its Gatling Gun, it will not only fire its machine gun, but it will also fire a barrage of rockets at you.
- The Harrier moves much faster during fly-by shootings, once you see the light reflection you have about three seconds before it blazes past you.
- Harrier's exhaust attack is virtually inescapable by running. It will stick to you like a magnet and pull your life bar down to zero unless you hide on the lower level of the connecting bridge, in which case it instantly goes away.
- When the Harrier drops its Cluster Bombs, they will land almost instantly. About 1.5 seconds after Solidus yells "DIE!"
- The Harrier's unguided rockets move much faster and will kill you in one hit.
- I don't know if this happens only on Extreme, but when you're hiding from the Harrier's gunfire, it will circle around you as often as possible to get a better shot at you.

Vamp: Contrary to popular belief, he does NOT move any quicker when all the lights are out.

- His knives travel at a quicker pace.
- When he decides to engage you in melee, he will ALWAYS run towards you to try and knife you.
- His Shadow knives are a lot harder to shake off once you're nailed with them.

Metal Gear RAYS:

- They move, and generally act and react much faster than before.
- Twin knee missiles have excellent tracking and will almost certainly kill you instantly.
- You have to kill TWENTY of them to pass this.

And lastly, Solidus:

- Solidus will dash at a much quicker pace.
- His missiles have excellent tracking ability, although he does not fire SIX missiles, still the usual four.
- He'll pretty much abuse his dash and missile launch once you knock him down three or four times up until Phase 2 at half life/stamina.
- During Phase 2, with the tentacles gone, Solidus is much much faster, dashing up to four times before immediately rushing at you. There is no delay when he chooses to rush you. Think quarter second after he grunts or says "Over here!"
- Also during Phase 2, his unblockable double slash comes out a lot quicker.

Thats about it, anything else I might have missed about the bosses? I'm pretty sure I got all of their changes here.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-02 19:52:37

i like the new theme for the next metal gear. NO WHERE TO HIDE! it looks like it might be a shoot em up

P.S. Anyone seen Liquidmaycry?

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 02:46:08

Great info on Extreme, man! I've done Extreme on SOL just to get the Dog Tags. Only did hard for SE, though. Haven't got around to going further.

God how I hated fighting the RAYs... >:-(

At 7/2/05 07:52 PM, LiquidSnake wrote: P.S. Anyone seen Liquidmaycry?

He's been around www.retrogade.com a bit. Probably just taking an internet break. No biggie.

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 03:51:03

Thanks, I might post my Big Boss guide at some point later.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 04:09:15

Maybe I'll do my abridged boss guide for Extreme.

..... OH JESUS I FORGOT OLGA! ARRRRRRGH!

Okay okay. Here's Olga changes on Extreme:

- Once you get her down to 1/2 stamina, her bullets will always find you. She will always know where you are.
- You CANNOT shoot out the light or the tarp in this battle. In fact, she will abuse them at certain points of the fight.
- Two shots and you're dead.

I might as well do it post by post anyway. So here goes.

When the fight starts, simply grab the M9 ammo and hide on the right side til Olga gives her speech. After the cut scene ends, now's your chance to get the first shot. Pop up on a blind side of hers and use the shoulder buttons to stand tall and get a good view of Olga to get a good shot at her. Try to aim for the head or vital areas if you can, and repeat til she gets down to half life.

When she gets down to half stamina, she will run over and shoot the tarp, giving her the huge cover advantage. Prior to this phase, when you get her down to half stamina, if you catch her on the right side of the screen, you can plug another M9 bullet into her while she turns to run away.

Now with the tarp out, roll to the left side and hide there, keeping your eyes on her until she decides to throw a grenade. Learn to get a feel for her grenade throwing motion so you know when its time to act. When she begins throwing the grenade, immediately pop out to the far left and shoot her. You should see her next to the tarp, just shoot her anywhere. Once you hit her, she will now start manipulating the light.

Now Olga will run back and shoot the tarp away before using the huge spotlight in the back. Again, this is another opportunity to shoot her while she's running around. In fact, I've actually beaten her before she even got a chance to do this on occasion. Now she will use the spotlight and you will have to shoot blindly.

My strategy here is simple, wait til she stops firing before attacking, and then pop out and shoot her.

The problem here is this, since you have a spotlight in your face, it becomes hard to see her. My solution is this. Get into first person view, and dont face Olga or the spot light directly, you should get an angle of her silhouette or where her body is. With that in mind, turn to roughly where her location is and fire, you'll almost certainly score a hit.

For me, I look to the left of Olga and the spotlight to get a rough location of where she is, then I just point at the rough area she was in and fire, I usually hit her this way. Rinse and repeat until she is KOed.

So my recap here is, to beat Olga.

- Shoot her when she's shooting elsewhere, repeat til half stamina. Dont forget to plug her while she runs back to shoot the tarp if you catch her on the right and plug her below 1/2 stamina.
- Hide to the far left, wait for grenade throw, then pop out as far left as possible and shoot her.
- Shoot her as she turns back to the right to shoot out the tarp too.
- Blind shoot her by waiting for grenade throw, getting her general location by looking away from the spotlight in FPV, then turn right and fire at roughly where you saw her.

Thats about it. More on the way, possibly later.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 16:59:57

wow i beat part 1 like 5 times. Same for part 2. I could never remember anything well enough to tell someone else. Im the kind of guy that has to have the controller in my hand and i remember as i go along. I remember when i bought Mgs 1 for the gamecube i finshed it in three days. Right after that i started part 2 and finished it that night. Then i finished off the night by playing SNake Tales. Best Night Ever

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 20:14:05

At 7/3/05 04:59 PM, LiquidMayCry wrote: wow i beat part 1 like 5 times. Same for part 2. I could never remember anything well enough to tell someone else. Im the kind of guy that has to have the controller in my hand and i remember as i go along. I remember when i bought Mgs 1 for the gamecube i finshed it in three days. Right after that i started part 2 and finished it that night. Then i finished off the night by playing SNake Tales. Best Night Ever.

Nice. Since I was playing for Big Boss rank, I had to remember what I was supposed to do in every single room from beginning to end. I know the Tanker and Big Shell like the back of my hand. There are some parts I'm not totally clear on, and if there are any variables to my room plan it can screw me up and cost me the rank.

Obviously I had to replay SOL a hundred times over to get the rank. It took me a while, believe me.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 20:18:28

do you get anything special from big boss rank or just bragging rights?

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 23:39:37

At 7/3/05 08:18 PM, LiquidMayCry wrote: do you get anything special from big boss rank or just bragging rights?

Bragging rights. :P

AT the end of the game they give you a code which you're supposed to input at Konami's web site, but since they stopped doing that, I'll have to list the requirements some other time.

The conditions for Big Boss rank are very hard to get. Its strange, since any other game like Twin Snakes or Snake Eater will tell you the rank.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-03 23:48:13

Whats going to happen to Snake? All the other games have had to do with his brothers. Liquid Died and so did Solidus.In the posters for the new game it shows ocelot. Since he works for the goverment which side is he really on?

Lets hear some predictions for the new game

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-10 00:31:26

Sorry i haven't been on the bbs 4 a while.......good to see new members on, though.
Watch G4 3pm EST, and there is a MGS3: Substeince preview. *Sorry 4 spelling.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-10 04:24:11

Boss strategy time. This time we cover Fatman!

I'm not going to bother with strategies for Fortune; just run back and forth, stay to the center when she fires double shots as you Raiden Roll back and forth so that you'll still have some cover on the left and right boxes during her odd moments, such as when she fires single shots or when she pauses.

Anyway, taking down Fatman can be very chaotic and very unpredictable. You might wanna save, for those of you who've been doing Big Boss runs, because this fight can go either perfectly or very wrong here.

To start off you'll get two bombs at the usual location with a very cushy timer. Fatman will skate to one of the two spots, the one nearest to you or the one further away. If he skates over to the bomb closest to you, terrific. If not, just grab the M9 ammo and defuse the sucker.

Wherever you find him, arm your Socom and fire six shots right into his thick hide, that'll knock him down. When you defuse the second bomb, defuse it while he gets up, then switch to the M9 and shoot him in the head before he shakes the dizzy stars off of him.

Now, he'll just laugh at you and taunt you. This time switch to your Socom and shoot out his skates, one shot should send him on the floor again to fire an M9 shot into his skull. Fatman will laugh and/or fire at you every time you defuse the last bomb while he's down, so make a note of that.

Now this is where everything gets blown open. Fatman will now begin his run around the arena to plant his bombs. Follow him by holding Square and L1 so that Raiden will auto target him and make it easier to find his general location. If you lose him, follow the skate tracks as best you can. Follow him until you catch him on a straight line or until he stops to plant a bomb, then plug six shots into him with your Socom to knock him down, and put an M9 dart in his head.

The key to beating Fatman quickly for those of you who are pining for Big Boss rank is this simple:

- Do NOT lose him. If you do, either track him down or stop to defuse a bomb if he's too far away; you'll get your chance to attack him later when he arms the others.

- Try to conserve ammo by going for the skate shot when he's standing still; I've gotten Big Boss rank even just by firing six shots, but the total number of shots fired is a factor to getting the rank.

- Defuse the last bomb while he's down so that you get a freebie at him. In fact, try to knock him down constantly; he'll get easier to chase down as his stamina lowers. If he fires at you with his Glock as a counter, take the hits and knock him down again. If you knock him down repeatedly while he has at least one bomb planted, he'll get pissed and arm them with a shout of "Get out of my way!". Knock him down again, then run off and defuse the bomb if its close by for yet another freebie!

- If you're really lucky, try to catch him when he needs to reload his Glock. I probably took out half his stamina bar one time just by keeping him from reloading his gun and tracking him down.

- Don't worry about damage unless you're on Euro-Extreme, none of his attacks are as damaging as those the other bosses usually have.

Thats about it. You'll have to replay this a dozen times before you get it right first time and advance on your Big Boss rank quest.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-10 06:15:02

During the cold war Ocelot was working for Volgin but spying on him through the KGB. However he was spying on the KGB through the CIA. As far as I know he now works for the Patriots who are above everything else in America. But enough about Ocelot, has anyone else seen the trailer for MGS 4? You can find it here. (Btw, it's the bottom left movie)

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-10 09:48:52

At 7/10/05 06:15 AM, Mini-Bean wrote: has anyone else seen the trailer for MGS 4? You can find it here. (Btw, it's the bottom left movie)

It's just a teaser though.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-10 16:59:42

At 7/10/05 09:48 AM, MetalGearSuperFan wrote: It's just a teaser though.

True, but still enjoyable.

Ya know, I'm gonna miss the young Ocelot of Snake Eater, but I hope they take a page from that installment and give Ocelot tons upon tons of gun-slinging oppurtunities.

Juggling Russian Roulette > All!

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-16 11:12:05

Heh, I bought Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance today. The only other MGS game I have is MGS1. Since I got MGS2S, I guess I don't need to get Sons of Liberty at all. BTW, am I able to join this club?

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-16 13:13:52

im in i love mgs

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-16 15:45:53

You both can join up. :-)

At 7/16/05 11:12 AM, Bahamut7 wrote: Heh, I bought Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance today. The only other MGS game I have is MGS1. Since I got MGS2S, I guess I don't need to get Sons of Liberty at all. BTW, am I able to join this club?

Nice. I have Substance, but the disc is scratched. :'-(

Personally I'd keep SOL anyway, but of course, that's because I've already gotten everything in that game. Hate to lose all that work.

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-16 16:12:50

I had MGS SOL but I lost it, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get Substance.

This was ages ago though.

Also I heard on gamespot that Hideo was bringing out a MGS3 Substance.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-16 16:53:45

At 7/16/05 04:12 PM, -Nev- wrote: I had MGS SOL but I lost it, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get Substance.

This was ages ago though.

Also I heard on gamespot that Hideo was bringing out a MGS3 Substance.

ITs actual MGS3 Subsistence

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-17 06:55:24

At 7/16/05 03:45 PM, Pure_LionHeart wrote: You both can join up. :-)

Thanks! :D

At 7/16/05 04:12 PM, -Nev- wrote: Also I heard on gamespot that Hideo was bringing out a MGS3 Substance.

Heh, that's very good. If it does come out, I'll get that instead of MGS3 Snake Eater.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-17 16:19:55

Yup, Subsistence will Subsist of a multiplayer-online mode, Demo Theatre(For viewing all cutscenes whenever, one of my favorite parts of Twin Snakes), Peep Show(Something to do with EVA), Boss Survival(Fighing the bosses whenever you want), extra camos and facepaints(Mainly the ones from the Euro version, supposedly), extra Monkey missions and more!

Can't wait, though what I want to know is if my MGS3 memory card data will be worthless now or if it will work on Subsistence.

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-17 22:01:15

guys when MGS3 Subsistence comes out we should all go online and play it with a password lock on the room. like we can make the room called metal gaer solid fan club but put the password on newgrounds on the forum.
Sound like a good idea?

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-17 23:42:31

At 7/17/05 10:01 PM, MetalGearSuperFan wrote: guys when MGS3 Subsistence comes out we should all go online and play it with a password lock on the room. like we can make the room called metal gaer solid fan club but put the password on newgrounds on the forum.
Sound like a good idea?

It does, except I don't have any of the components for online play with the PS2, or any other system for that matter.

BBS Signature

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-18 20:13:30

At 7/17/05 11:42 PM, Pure_LionHeart wrote:
At 7/17/05 10:01 PM, MetalGearSuperFan wrote: Sound like a good idea?
It does, except I don't have any of the components for online play with the PS2, or any other system for that matter.

yeah kinda forgot about that, well if u do tell me on this thing.that goes to everybody.
P.S. Im in a good mood so i might change my aura to light.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-18 22:02:18

At 7/17/05 10:01 PM, MetalGearSuperFan wrote:
P.S. Im in a good mood so i might change my aura to light.

I have light aura so got a movie and i will protect it!!!!

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-18 23:11:13

i wish i could be able to play online with subsistence when it comes out, but i don't have a network adapter. plus, i use a wireless network, so i'd have to buy tons of extra stuff to get my ps2 to go online. it would cost way too much. i'm not very interested in the online mode anyways. the new camera mode doesn't interest me one bit and i'm rather skeptical about how it will all work out. i'll just keep playing with the good old overhead view mode. the gameplay of MGS3 was made for the overhead view, so i don't think that it will work with the 3D camera. i'll give konami the benefit of the doubt though.

Response to metal gear solid club 2005-07-18 23:39:33

Yeah, the camera mode option should be interesting, though I'll most likely stick to the classic one. Still, I'll have to give it a try. You never know...

BBS Signature