00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kekiiro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Atheist Army

229,671 Views | 3,464 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-14 01:48:29

At 9/14/09 12:29 AM, Smokey651 wrote: Here is my problem. There are a lot of people (mostly kids aged 12-18) that claim to be atheist but merely pick it because they think it is "cool". These kids probably couldn't tell you a damn thing about the bible, the torah, the quran, the avesta, or any of that shit.

I can't stand those kinds of "Atheists." They also believe that Atheism entails doing whatever you want without consequences. I can't remember how many times I've seen and read "There's no God, so fuck whoever you want and do drugs!"

I feel one should have to do a lot of research before being allowed to classify themselves under any religion. But especially atheism, because they give us non-goth/emo/punk and intelligent atheists a bad name.

Precisely.

(also, I can join... right?)

Of course. If they let me, a Theist in(I'm an exception around here), then I don't see why not.

And I'm not saying all kids between the ages of 12-18 who claim to be atheists are like that... and I'm 17, so i definitely am not saying that.

Ok, welcome aboard :3.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-14 17:48:03

can i join?

"its not rocket science . its brain surgery"

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-14 22:24:54

Joining the army.

What a shame, Mister Jensen.

I never asked for this, Mister Denton.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-15 17:01:11

At 9/13/09 04:42 PM, HighJack wrote:
At 9/8/09 04:51 PM, Patton3 wrote: I just enjoy seeing the puzzled look on their face when I say that I would only believe in God if given a reasonable amount of proof. "What, you need proof to accept a theory as to how everything that is, has been, and ever will be was created? Holy fuck, that is incomprehensible".
You have no proof to support your theory that God doesn't exist. How is that any different?

You didn't understand me. I don't believe in god doesn't exist, because I don't see any proof that he does exist. If I did, well hell, I'd believe in him. But my mind just won't allow me to believe a theory unless it has some sort of ground to stand on.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-16 17:56:52

Count me in..been an Atheist for around 2 years or so. Personally, religious people don't make me angry at all, just the annoying ones that ask me if I'm an Atheist and then make a big scene about it.

I don't advertise my beliefs at all.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-16 21:09:12

count me in too, i just cannot understand why religion causes so much trouble.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-22 00:27:56

Arise, thread, arise! Fade not into BBS obscurity, but stay the course, fresh with new material!

So what do guys think of The United States being "unable to find a distributor" for the new film Creation?

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-23 10:10:33

At 9/22/09 12:27 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: So what do guys think of The United States being "unable to find a distributor" for the new film Creation?

It'll only be a matter of time until some militant atheist or fence-sitter distributors jump up on it. There IS money in the film, and it's highly likely that somebody with the resources to do so out there will be willing to piss off the religious in the U.S in order to capitalize on it. My opinion on it though is that it's a very sad thing indeed. Just another sign that the elitists running the show in the U.S. are more concerned with spreading propaganda then educating its citizens. You'd think that they would want the youth of the nation to be learned in everything as opposed to sheltered and oppressed, but what can you do? MOVE TO CANADA. That's what.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-23 10:31:53

At 9/23/09 10:10 AM, michelinman wrote: Just another sign that the elitists running the show in the U.S. are more concerned with spreading propaganda then educating its citizens.

I'm not aware of this film in any way but I'm going to go ahead and assume its not very nice to Mr. God.
So I wouldn't say its a case of them wanting to spread progadanda and more of a case of not wanting to be harrassed and threatened by death threats from pissed of religious types.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-23 10:55:50

At 9/23/09 10:31 AM, Nev wrote: I'm not aware of this film in any way but I'm going to go ahead and assume its not very nice to Mr. God.
So I wouldn't say its a case of them wanting to spread progadanda and more of a case of not wanting to be harrassed and threatened by death threats from pissed of religious types.

I didn't know either til animefan brought it up, so I wikipedia'd the bitch. It's the story of Charles Darwin struggling between his devotion to his very religious wife while working on a theory that would potentially be taken as an attack against religion. Unless there's something I'm missing out on, the film doesn't seem to be offensive or an attack against religion in any way. It's just a movie. I'm pretty pissed that no distributors have the balls to pick it up in todays society to be honest. I really do hate this country sometimes. :/

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-26 00:03:50

At 9/13/09 06:53 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote: I can infer this because according to the Bible,

That's where I stopped reading. It is illogical to treat the Bible as fact or fiction.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-26 00:06:09

At 9/26/09 12:03 AM, HighJack wrote:
At 9/13/09 06:53 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote: I can infer this because according to the Bible,
That's where I stopped reading. It is illogical to treat the Bible as fact or fiction.

Very true. It is irrelevant whether or not the bible is the word of god or not. For suuure.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-26 00:11:28

At 9/26/09 12:03 AM, HighJack wrote:

So you ignored my entire post because you don't agree with the premise? Really now? Do you treat it as fact or fiction? I know you believe, and I also know that you said the following:

At 9/7/09 04:24 PM, HighJack wrote:
That's just the thing, you won't die, you'll burn forever.

So how do you treat it?

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-26 10:46:02

Interesting.

asdfg

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-26 16:20:36

I believe that God is merely a ramification of the human mind. I believe that any Representation of all religions are simply idealisms created for man to have something to believe in. A something that is greater than ordinary man, to give people the reason to stride for greater things. Religion is based on the human need for meaning, or purpose in life. these needs for purpose, or reason to live, or even to continue living, are what drive the very foundations of Religion. Even still, Society would not be able to function without religion of some kind. There may be those who believe that Religion is pointless, and can be cast out along with their ideals, but in theory, it is a very important part of society.

Imagine the scenario of a Pick pocket. He owns no car, house, or wife or children, and fears no punishment by a higher being. So without much to live for, he kills someone whom he has despised. this escalates and he kills one more, followed by many others until he eventually dies. all because he believed that after he died he would just rot in the ground with the bugs,rather than suffer an eternity in Hell. There might even be others who will follow in this thief's footsteps, those who throw off the veils of Religion and Do as they please.

Now, I'm not implying that all humans are bloodthirsty animals without the supervision of a god, but I'm saying that Religion has often been the mental outline of "Good" and "Evil"

Religion is not a plague upon society , or a senseless hoax, but merely a mental guideline that has lead many people to do "Good" things in the eyes of God, or Allah, or even Zeus. God is not a floating man on a cloud that shoots lighting at those who oppose him, but an image created by humans, and seen in the eyes of humans that drives people to do better things.

Those who have decided that God does not exist, those who have found refuge in one's own mind, have accomplished a great task. These people are able to sustain ones own actions based on what they believe as a human being, rather than base them on the judgment of a "Greater being". They think in the present, rather than what lies ahead for them. They do not worry about what lies beyond the grave, but merely worry about what happens before it.

This is a truly Magnificent accomplishment. But it does not merit the attempted conversion of those who have found faith in a religion. You should not try to change the beliefs of others simply because you believe differently. There will never be a point where everyones beliefs are unified. People are Diverse, and so Is religion. People whom have found religion are content. And people who have chosen not to believe are content as well. There should be no attempt to change this.

But even with all that being said, there is one religion in particular that is most interesting. Buddhism is an exception to everything I've said. Buddhism is more a Philosophy, than it is a religion. This Religion's Meaning is to find inner peace with ones self, and ultimately archive Nirvana. This probably is the one religion that makes the most sense.

With that being said, I Bid you a due.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-26 22:04:20

Just in case you would want to know, it's adieu. French for good bye. Honestly though, thank you.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-27 13:02:55

At 9/26/09 12:11 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: So you ignored my entire post because you don't agree with the premise? Really now? Do you treat it as fact or fiction? I know you believe, and I also know that you said the following:

I treat the Bible as a book, because there is no way to tell if it is indeed the word of God or not.

At 9/7/09 04:24 PM, HighJack wrote:
That's just the thing, you won't die, you'll burn forever.
So how do you treat it?

That was a scenario.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-27 13:17:28

At 9/26/09 04:20 PM, TheFreedMan wrote: Stuff.

Religion is the only logical way to explain the Universe's existence.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-27 19:55:57

So wait, HighJack, what exactly DO you believe?

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-27 21:39:56

At 9/27/09 01:17 PM, HighJack wrote:
At 9/26/09 04:20 PM, TheFreedMan wrote: Stuff.
Religion is the only logical way to explain the Universe's existence.

Yeah, because the conclusion you've come to is the only one that could possibly be right.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-27 21:52:14

At 9/26/09 04:20 PM, TheFreedMan wrote: I believe that God is merely a ramification of the human mind. I believe that any Representation of all religions are simply idealisms created for man to have something to believe in. A something that is greater than ordinary man, to give people the reason to stride for greater things. Religion is based on the human need for meaning, or purpose in life. these needs for purpose, or reason to live, or even to continue living, are what drive the very foundations of Religion.

That's a great way of summing it up, but even so, why should people need a "higher purpose"? Can't people just enjoy life without worrying about, "What it all means?"

Even still, Society would not be able to function without religion of some kind.

Very untrue. I don't see the Atheist population having any trouble functioning in society.

There may be those who believe that Religion is pointless

It truly is. For those who say, "Religion is what keeps people good and honest." But why should people need a false deity to be good people? That only shows a failure of character. It shows that you aren't mature enough to admit you have morals, and those morals come from your personal beliefs (not beliefs in a deity), and that you didn't get those morals as an "Added Bonus" with your god.

By the way, that counts as me joining the Atheist Army, does it not?

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-28 00:55:28

At 9/26/09 10:04 PM, Patton3 wrote: Just in case you would want to know, it's adieu. French for good bye. Honestly though, thank you.

oh my, Now I feel like an idiot! lol, thanks for correcting me man

At 9/27/09 09:52 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 9/26/09 04:20 PM, TheFreedMan wrote: I believe that God is merely a ramification of the human mind. I believe that any Representation of all religions are simply idealisms created for man to have something to believe in. A something that is greater than ordinary man, to give people the reason to stride for greater things. Religion is based on the human need for meaning, or purpose in life. these needs for purpose, or reason to live, or even to continue living, are what drive the very foundations of Religion.
That's a great way of summing it up, but even so, why should people need a "higher purpose"? Can't people just enjoy life without worrying about, "What it all means?"

Perhaps it may seem silly to you, but some people might need reassurance that what they're doing has purpose

Even still, Society would not be able to function without religion of some kind.
Very untrue. I don't see the Atheist population having any trouble functioning in society.

Well, In my opinion, Atheism is a form of religion. Not one that does dances around a camp fire, or reads from a text once a week, but it is a belief. A religion that chooses not to believe that there is a floating man in the sky or a man with six arms. A religion that chooses to believe in Humanity, rather than spirituality. In my eyes, that is Atheism.

There may be those who believe that Religion is pointless
It truly is. For those who say, "Religion is what keeps people good and honest." But why should people need a false deity to be good people? That only shows a failure of character. It shows that you aren't mature enough to admit you have morals, and those morals come from your personal beliefs (not beliefs in a deity), and that you didn't get those morals as an "Added Bonus" with your god.

well, once again, this has to do with the question of what you define Religion as. The answer is basically the same as my above statement. and those who have chosen to believe in religion have not forsaken their humanity, but have given a portion of their

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-28 01:48:30

well, once again, this has to do with the question of what you define Religion as. The answer is basically the same as my above statement. and those who have chosen to believe in religion have not forsaken their humanity, but have given a portion of their

oops, I hit the post it button a bit early...good god, I'm tired... but, back to the point.

people who believe in a religion have only given a portion of their ability to decide for themselves out of fear of making the wrong decision. they believe that through faith, they will choose what is "right" or what was meant to happen to them, regardless if it is ever truly justified. Religion acts as a form of reassurance to one's actions to those who want it. This does not symbolize weakness, but it means that they are uncertain of what is to come, Just as all humans are.

Those who have acted upon desire, rather than faith, have greater freedom to choose the "correct" path, but have lost the reassurance a faith offers, even if it is not justified. The actions taken by these people are solely based on them as people, rather than the ideals set for those with a faith. In theory it seems it seems simple, but to many it is a scary thing. To move on without guidance, to delve into the unknown. Almost as if being lost in the dark without a light.

But even so, the actions of a Christian Don't entirely differ from those of an Atheist. A faith does not define what one does, or says, or what baseball team they cheer for. But perhaps that is a topic for another place and time.

Until next time, adieu

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-28 09:24:44

At 9/28/09 12:55 AM, TheFreedMan wrote: Well, In my opinion, Atheism is a form of religion. Not one that does dances around a camp fire, or reads from a text once a week, but it is a belief. A religion that chooses not to believe that there is a floating man in the sky or a man with six arms. A religion that chooses to believe in Humanity, rather than spirituality. In my eyes, that is Atheism.

Well in my opinion, the sky is red.

Atheism is lack of religion. Those religious people just gave it a name.

And even so, if it is a religion, if you define all beliefs as a religion, then of course, people can't function without beliefs. But most people, when they think about religion, think of gods and prophets, and all that nonsense. And society can function just fine without that.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-28 12:11:51

I'm atheist. =D
There's nothing wrong with having religion, 'cause everyone's different.
But i just know that there is no god.

Go Science! =P

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-28 12:17:47

At 9/28/09 12:11 PM, Joeyy957 wrote:
But i just know that there is no god.

Go Science! =P

Be careful, it's actually considered bad science to say anything is absolute. The correct exclaimation would be "There may be a God, but there probably isn't."

Anyway, welcome :3.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-28 16:10:28

At 9/28/09 09:24 AM, Archon68 wrote: And society can function just fine without that.

I'm seeing it like the classic athletics movie scenario where the hero thinks he sucks, then takes steroids and wins... but, oh, those were just sugar pills. It was you all along! Yeeey :D.

Morality is the race and the bible is a sugar pill.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-29 10:25:59

At 9/28/09 09:24 AM, Archon68 wrote: But most people, when they think about religion, think of gods and prophets, and all that nonsense. And society can function just fine without that.

I really don't see what religion has to do with society "functioning badly". Religious people, including me, have nothing againist atheists, so why are you people gathering in a stupid thread like this flaming religion? Atheist Army my ass, you people are simply religion haters, that's what you are. Atheists aren't supposed to hate religion, they're supposed to not believe in religion, but always be nice to people no matter what they believe in. Well, that's what all the humans should do.

Too lazy; didn't read? Everybody believe in what they believe in, and keep it quiet. I was thinking of saying "shut the fuck up" instead but I don't want to be rude, especially to you Archon. Stop arguing over religion, people. Religion arguments have the power to destroy friendships, they are that strong, mainly because if the participiants believe in even the slightest different thing, they will NEVER come to an agreement and usually, become enemies.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-29 11:44:25

At 9/29/09 10:25 AM, mrty wrote:
At 9/28/09 09:24 AM, Archon68 wrote:
I really don't see what religion has to do with society "functioning badly".

It doesn't. Religion becomes a problem when it interferes with how society is run. Society can function perfectly with it's citizens being religious, but if said citizens or religion prevent the positive progression of society, such as prohibiting certain theories or sciences based on facts or seek to deny other citizens basic civil liberties and rights, there's a problem.

Religious people, including me, have nothing againist atheists, so why are you people gathering in a stupid thread like this flaming religion?

I'm a Theist, and we don't gather in here to bash religion, we discuss it.

Atheist Army my ass, you people are simply religion haters, that's what you are. Atheists aren't supposed to hate religion, they're supposed to not believe in religion, but always be nice to people no matter what they believe in. Well, that's what all the humans should do.

Atheists don't hate religion, they just don't like it when religious people try to force their beliefs. They also don't like it when someone comes in here with your attitude throwing around generalized, unsubstantiated accusations.

Stop arguing over religion, people. Religion arguments have the power to destroy friendships, they are that strong, mainly because if the participiants believe in even the slightest different thing, they will NEVER come to an agreement and usually, become enemies.

This is why we discuss, to prevent becoming enemies. Only when either side feels threatened they become enemies. There's no need to avoid discussion, because there's no need to feel as if you're under attack. Emotions run high, but it comes with the territory.

Response to The Atheist Army 2009-09-29 13:05:33

At 9/29/09 11:44 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote:
At 9/29/09 10:25 AM, mrty wrote:
At 9/28/09 09:24 AM, Archon68 wrote:
I really don't see what religion has to do with society "functioning badly".
It doesn't. Religion becomes a problem when it interferes with how society is run. Society can function perfectly with it's citizens being religious, but if said citizens or religion prevent the positive progression of society, such as prohibiting certain theories or sciences based on facts or seek to deny other citizens basic civil liberties and rights, there's a problem.

This is what always confuses me. I'm a muslim, I believe in God, but I don't reject big bang either, for an example. Atheists have a wrong impression on theists: theists aren't ignorant, science-rejecting cunts, they do support science but they also have their own beliefs.

Religious people, including me, have nothing againist atheists, so why are you people gathering in a stupid thread like this flaming religion?
I'm a Theist, and we don't gather in here to bash religion, we discuss it.

Most of the posts I see here are either "Religion is stupid." or "Religion is pointless. Let me in." These people ARE bashing religion, and the people who try to prove them wrong. There is no point in arguing over religion, why do you argue? The point of an argument is to convince the opposite side(s), right? Well, nobody is stupid enough to convert their religion because of a dumb internet argument... or any argument for that matter.

Atheist Army my ass, you people are simply religion haters, that's what you are. Atheists aren't supposed to hate religion, they're supposed to not believe in religion, but always be nice to people no matter what they believe in. Well, that's what all the humans should do.
Atheists don't hate religion, they just don't like it when religious people try to force their beliefs. They also don't like it when someone comes in here with your attitude throwing around generalized, unsubstantiated accusations.

Personally, I'm not one of the people who try to convince atheists, and none of the people I know are. Well, I don't know any atheists in real life, but it wouldn't make any difference even if I did. Apparently, whenever religious people comes to the mind of atheists, they think of us as "dumb people forcing us." Atheists are stereotyping, that's the problem.

I'm trying to be smart and even-handed, I don't mean to "throw around generalized accusations."

Stop arguing over religion, people. Religion arguments have the power to destroy friendships, they are that strong, mainly because if the participiants believe in even the slightest different thing, they will NEVER come to an agreement and usually, become enemies.
This is why we discuss, to prevent becoming enemies. Only when either side feels threatened they become enemies. There's no need to avoid discussion, because there's no need to feel as if you're under attack. Emotions run high, but it comes with the territory.

Of course. I'm actually having fun having this argument, and I hope you feel the same. BUT, there are two subjects that never should be argued over too much: religion and politics. Speaking of politics, did you know that the founders of Adidas and Puma are actually brothers, but they parted ways because they had different views in politics and other stuff? And they have been mad at eachother since well over 60 years?

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King