00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

srirachachau just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

421,038 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 17:44:50

At 7/9/06 05:30 PM, Monocrom wrote: Actually, if there's an Exit available, running away is the best thing to do against all 4 types. Prison Knifers like their space. Plus, any ex-con can put on a suit & tie. You never know. That's why it's best to treat people with common-courtesy, when out-and-about. Not all ex-cons go out to victimize people.

Ya, i try to treat everyone with courtesy. Thank you, please, excuse me, I'm sorry, it was my mistake. But i never say sir. Just never learned to say it.

Your Parkour skills definitely put you ahead of the game!

"Give me your money!! *pulls knife*

"uhh....would you look at that, it's Jay Z!!!!" *runs, doing parkour*

Oh Snype, you're such a fag.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 17:46:47

Oh, forgot to mention. My Parkour skills may make it easier for me to escape, but if i'm surrounded i'm pretty fucked. That's where some Martial Arts skill would come in. Make myself a path then run.

You? you would just kick all there asses.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 17:47:56

At 7/9/06 03:55 PM, anime_man10 wrote: Look once again, I have no problem with martial arts. In fact i am deeply interested in them. But I Was just saying that martial arts isn't as great as people make it out to be.

If you’re interested in martial arts then show some respect.

Regardless, your statement suggests that martial arts, to you at least, have been hyped up a bit, is this true?

Now in what way? Have some friends of yours who take martial arts been bragging about how good they are at it or because of it? Or do you get that impression from watching movies?

Finally, the vast majority of different martial art styles are based on dealing with real life situations, unfortunately for what would appear to be the heart of your argument (that being gun use) not too many people carry around the types of guns that you have posted pictures of. Though a sawed off shotgun can be a realistic weapon to be attacked with, a simple hand gun is the most likely projectile weapon you are going to be attacked with and almost all martial arts, especially those based around self defense, teach techniques against such attacks. Sure there are many situations where these techniques may become useless but fire arm attacks still don't represent the majority of attacks (and depending where you live, even a realistic attack). You are most likely to be attacked on an impulse, someone sees you and they decide you're wearing your hat the wrong way for that side of town, or they decide you might have some money, or this person is drunk and you accidentally brushed up against his girl, or whatever. Chances are that this person or these people are carrying knives at the highest level or armament, and chances are that you will not be carrying around one of you precious guns.

Mono:
Very nice post about the common types of knifers! That hels a lot, thanks :)

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 17:55:16

To Tsuchiya:
Ok, thanks for the tips! I'll ask my instructor.
I don't think I'll need practise weapons soon though, I just had one lesson and then the incident with my arm happened. But it's cool to have such things anyway, I've got a couple of friends in my neighbourhood that also loves Martial arts, the got a boken to and some more practise weapons. Well, thanks for the information!

To MrDeadly:
How it's going with your parkour skills? Already get much better?
I'm still a noob, the last couple of days/weeks I didn't train very much... Didn't always had time and my friends that are doing parkour as well ar, or on vacation, or busy with their job... But I understand the vaults better then a couple of weeks ago, if I was going to do parkour, I trained hard on my vaults.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 17:57:38

At 7/9/06 05:46 PM, MrDeadly wrote: Oh, forgot to mention. My Parkour skills may make it easier for me to escape, but if i'm surrounded i'm pretty fucked. That's where some Martial Arts skill would come in. Make myself a path then run.

You? you would just kick all there asses.

Nope! Your suggestion is actually what I'd do, "Make myself a path then run."

Start picking up objects and throw them. Grab a chair, swing it back & forth, keep them at a distance. Hold the chair out in front of me (with the legs forward) and charge through. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to go through an attacker in order to escape.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 18:04:01

At 7/9/06 05:47 PM, ThebanLegion wrote:
Mono:
Very nice post about the common types of knifers! That hels a lot, thanks :)

Happy to help. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding knives & their use.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 18:14:11

At 8/4/04 07:47 AM, Semi-Shinro wrote: This Club is meant For All Martial Artists to share their wisdom with each other. Please keep all questions, and statements within this subject. Please state the name of your style and how many years you have invested in it on your first post, for example mine is Isshinryu and I have 7 years invested in it. You may share your rank if you'd like but it's not required. Thanks for reading and welcome to the club.

Yo sup fellow Marial Arts Enthusist (idk how to spell but i like big words :D) i currently am into Muy Thai Kickboxing and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu I would like to know if any1 here does capioera (if thats how its spelt) it a brazilian fightingstyle "dance fighting" as ive been told it was called i am looking for any1 who does this martial art and for them to give me their aspects and feelings toward capioera.

p.s. i havent really read all of the posts so if u already talked about it sorry i didnt come earlier :P

Why do i try to be nice?

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 18:31:11

At 7/9/06 05:57 PM, Monocrom wrote: Start picking up objects and throw them. Grab a chair, swing it back & forth, keep them at a distance. Hold the chair out in front of me (with the legs forward) and charge through. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to go through an attacker in order to escape.

I'll make sure to keep that in mind...I really hadnt the faintest idea what to do in that situation. So throw things and run. got it.

At 7/9/06 05:55 PM, Runetjuhhh wrote: To MrDeadly:
How it's going with your parkour skills? Already get much better?

Hell ya! i've been working on my dash's and rolls of recent. I can Dash things About Ches height now (maybe a little lower) and I've been trying to get my rolls on concrete, but i keep having to take brakes due to the bruises :(

I'm still a noob, the last couple of days/weeks I didn't train very much... Didn't always had time and my friends that are doing parkour as well ar, or on vacation, or busy with their job... But I understand the vaults better then a couple of weeks ago, if I was going to do parkour, I trained hard on my vaults.

Ah, the more time doing PK the better you get. Repetition is key. But it's good you understand the vaults, physics are a very important key to Parkour. You need to understand the forces applied and the such to get some of them perfectly. Glad your doing well. What vaults can you do?

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 18:50:35

At 7/9/06 06:31 PM, MrDeadly wrote:

Hell ya! i've been working on my dash's and rolls of recent. I can Dash things About Ches height now (maybe a little lower) and I've been trying to get my rolls on concrete, but i keep having to take brakes due to the bruises :(

Nice, I'm glad you got better! Over the bruises, I got them to, and more injuries, I have to work more on absorbing shocks probably, but I just go on even with injuries, It may not be good but like I said in another post, I dont have much chances to do parkour the last couple of days/weeks so that will be my brakes :s... but it's never fun to have that nasty bruises from parkour...

Ah, the more time doing PK the better you get. Repetition is key. But it's good you understand the vaults, physics are a very important key to Parkour. You need to understand the forces applied and the such to get some of them perfectly. Glad your doing well. What vaults can you do?

Ok I'll keep it in my mind, the more time doing parkour and repetition is the key! Oh, and about the vaults I can do, I'm working on the turn and monkey lately, I didn't dound any places to do other vaults, like the King kong and such... I'll go searching this week though, together with a friend that will come back from vacation this week.

Well BTW can't answer for today anymore g2g!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 19:16:16

...I was partying from 6 last night to now....what did I miss?

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 19:38:17

At 7/9/06 06:14 PM, DarkEclipse50 wrote:

:stuff

Welcome jerk. Feel free to post anything on what you know. We havent talked to much about capabrea(spelling ick), and if you take the time to read the past post then you wasted your time. I've pretty much read every post in the club so i would know if it was mentioned.

But i would like to know more about Muay Thai. It's a style that i really want to start studying just for the reason of fun.

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 19:59:39

At 7/9/06 06:50 PM, Runetjuhhh wrote: Nice, I'm glad you got better! Over the bruises, I got them to, and more injuries, I have to work more on absorbing shocks probably, but I just go on even with injuries, It may not be good but like I said in another post, I dont have much chances to do parkour the last couple of days/weeks so that will be my brakes :s... but it's never fun to have that nasty bruises from parkour...

When i first started i had bruises EVERYWHERE especially on my shins and the such. it completely sucked. But now? Not so many bruises. But you definitely want shock absorbtion early on, otherwise as you get older your bones and joints will be fucked. Also, don't do Parkour if your too seriously injured...it'll just make things worse.

Ok I'll keep it in my mind, the more time doing parkour and repetition is the key! Oh, and about the vaults I can do, I'm working on the turn and monkey lately, I didn't dound any places to do other vaults, like the King kong and such... I'll go searching this week though, together with a friend that will come back from vacation this week.

The kong and monkey are essentially the same. Once you get one, you've got the other. Turn vault you just have to trust yourself.

So keep working on it dude, sounds like your becoming quite the traceur.

At 7/9/06 06:14 PM, DarkEclipse50 wrote: blah blah Capoiera blah blah

I've been wanting to get into it, but i just dont have the time or money. Eventually i'll take some lessons in it, but yet at least.

But my views on it? It's getting too popular, too fast. One of the things i like about Parkour is its very un tainted by douche bag skaters calling it skate boarding without a skate board or something. But it's getting there...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 23:28:17

JIMINY CRICKETS! i was gone for 2 weeks and ive had to read like 6 pages! though its was kinda interesting, and the knifer article is something ill keep in mind! oh and i have bad news... im being forced out of my martial art for a couple of months! grr... i have to go to band practice on the same days that i have KSW! and of course my parents see school over self defense... oh well ill be going back in soon though!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 23:30:31

At 7/9/06 11:28 PM, Dj_I3lade wrote: JIMINY CRICKETS! i was gone for 2 weeks and ive had to read like 6 pages! though its was kinda interesting, and the knifer article is something ill keep in mind! oh and i have bad news... im being forced out of my martial art for a couple of months! grr... i have to go to band practice on the same days that i have KSW! and of course my parents see school over self defense... oh well ill be going back in soon though!

Your in band? thats awesome! what instrument do you play? I play trombone, but i'm not sure when our practices are yet...i hope they dont interfere with Parkour...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 23:33:04

At 7/9/06 03:59 AM, anime_man10 wrote: I Honestly have no problem with martial arts but still use one of these babies and you could clear out a room full of martial artists in 1 to 2 minutes.

hmm.... you know i bet it could.... but if you have any realistic situations that you'd like to post that are within any interest of Martial Arts, please do so before we call the MODs.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 23:35:19

Im in the Pit percussion of our Marching band... and i have no idea how that really relates to martial arts.... so to make this post legit ill mention that KSW teaches self defense against Knives and other assorted weapons!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 23:39:18

At 7/9/06 11:35 PM, Dj_I3lade wrote: Im in the Pit percussion of our Marching band... and i have no idea how that really relates to martial arts.... so to make this post legit ill mention that KSW teaches self defense against Knives and other assorted weapons!

Not the drum core? that sucks. Our pit is gonna suck this year, we have like, 3 kids this year. (last year we had around 10.)

Uhh...legit post...Kick ass Russian parkour video!

http://video.google...308929&q=Parkour

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-09 23:41:55

im going into drumline next year this year the pit NEEDS me. I know that sounds extremely self centered but ive been doing percussion for 6 years and the n00bs that are in it this year have only played 1 full year... uh oh.... ummm in relation to martial arts.... i uh... use my Ki breathing exercises during practice to give me extra energy!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 00:01:47

about drumming: i drum, and am actually decent at it. i was in the pit at my school freshman year, but it sucked and didnt even come close to the drumming i do (black metal, double bass, HEAVY snare, blast beats)

about martial arts: just telling you guys i'm here, i wont be on unitl tomorrow night so i just wanted to keep up with your guys' massive amount of posting.

not really about M.A.....

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 00:16:19

well thats kool! oh and your sig is kool too! i like mine its actually a Kunai knife (i know that has nothing to do with KSW but oh well) but i photoshop'd it in like 5 minutes so i need to work on a better one... maybe one that actually has something interesting on it.... :P

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 00:30:43

At 7/10/06 12:01 AM, tom3rulz wrote: about drumming: i drum, and am actually decent at it. i was in the pit at my school freshman year, but it sucked and didnt even come close to the drumming i do (black metal, double bass, HEAVY snare, blast beats)

During Concert season, we do a lot of what your thinking of. And in our marching show this year we have a cool Drum kit solo. So it's not always so formal. (we're actually doing music from Medal of Honor this year!!)

At 7/9/06 11:41 PM, Dj_I3lade wrote: im going into drumline next year this year the pit NEEDS me. I know that sounds extremely self centered but ive been doing percussion for 6 years and the n00bs that are in it this year have only played 1 full year

Ya, i think some of the Drum line people are staying in the Pit for the same reasons.

Parkour keeps me in shape.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 02:16:36

...no comment....

That parkour video was pretty sick tho...

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 02:53:12

Dj and Deadly: i hate to break it to you, but drums and music isnt martial arts. just because your last sentence has some random martial arts trivia in it, doesnt make it a legit item in our club. Parkour i can understand talking about, but not drumlines or whatever.

uuummm.... i got myself the boken i said i would. saddly that was about the only MA related thing in the shop, but theres plenty of other interesting japanese stuff.

anyone ever done any ropefighting? ive done a bit of it in my class, but im not an expert. i wanna know if anyone else has done it, cause its probably the hardest thing to learn ive done yet. its.. diffrent.. to say the least.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 03:42:15

Tsuch-

I agree...the drumming talk is annoying. With the forum being really active right now and the post count going up, I find it rather annoying when I have to scroll through 2 pages of crap. Im not complaining about the post count, just try and stay on topic. You guys are post happy. Start a marching band thread or something. Im pretty good about reading everyone's posts and taking their information and opinions into consideration, but only if it has some relation to MA type stuff, thats the only reason I post on this forum. I was talking to Tom about this the other night and I believe he did a huge rant earlier on people posting 2 lines or nothing and leaving only to come back 5 minutes later and do it again.

Ropefighting? The belt techniques I do in my style sound fairly similar. They are difficult to learn because of all of the ends and combinations of techniques you can use. Not to mention how many times you trip on the belt during practice. Or are you referring more to chain whip type stuff?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 10:21:36

satan: the belt fighting we do is pretty much a spin-off of techniques with ropes..
whats hard about it is just thats its such a diffrent feeling then what ive even been used too. never used anything as a weapon that could flop. im getting used to it, buts probably one of the more diffrent things ive done involving weapons.

i was also reading in one of the grandmasters books, he mentioned diets. he was talking about how on his last (and final) trip abroad (he went to New Jersey for some training thing) that when he came back his blood sugar was insane and stuff, so he went on a 'ninja diet' of tofu, sesame seeds, miso soup, and vegtables. and brown rice with 2 kinds of beans in it and shittake mushrooms. he also wouldnt eat until he was full, instead stopping at about 80% full he said. in about 2 months his blood sugar with tripled i think went back to normal. so thats the ninja diet, for all you health nuts out there.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 12:36:03

To ts: We only learn 2 punch techniques with a belt, but other than that, we do no rope fighting...whatever that is...

Can you explain what rope fighting is in more detail?

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 13:01:07

If you guys want to talk about drumming post here instead. The NGMAC Forums that way we can keep everything here about martial arts.

Anyways it has been really slow at my school due to all the students being on summer vacation. I mean usually we have classes that are to big for the do jang and now some classes are about 3 people. Then again some we have that are still to fin big. So i guess it is still crazy.

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 13:38:37

Im in.

As for my style of martial arts.

Well, i havent had any actual lessons since I lived in Alaska (2 yrs. ago).
It was Tae Kwan Do, I hate Tae Kwan Do.

Im busy doing three things in relation to martial arts.

1. Searching for a Sensei, who didnt just read a
"How to master Gong Fu in 30 days" magazine.

2. Im losing weight, so im really just doing research on martial arts until i reach a suitable weight. Because if i learn to fight at my current weight, after ive dropped so many pounds my techniques would be weakened.
Because I would have learned to fight with larger mass than I have, I wouldn't be able to effectively perform my style martial arts.

3. Deciding what syle of Gong Fu to take. There are so many.
Honestly though my favorite style is Southern Preying Mantis, ive done alot of research on it and im very pleased by what I hear.
Except I dont yet know if it is even tought anymore.

Thats me.

Next.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain Strength.

Through strength, I gain Victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force Shall Free Me.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 19:55:36

At 7/8/06 12:42 PM, tkd93champ wrote: Iv used bow staff, swords (2), knunchucks, escreema sticks.

If u use or know about any other weapons post back.

ummmmmmmmmmmmm.................... those mini-scythes.... i forget what there called.

Bo staff/nunchucks=FUN!!!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-10 20:57:17

At 7/10/06 12:36 PM, fremen13 wrote: To ts: We only learn 2 punch techniques with a belt, but other than that, we do no rope fighting...whatever that is...

Can you explain what rope fighting is in more detail?

its really hard to explain rope fighting... imagine fighting with a rope.. its the best explanation i can give..

that one new guy: why do you hate Tae Kwon Do? ive never taken it myself, but i've heard many great things about it, and while my intialy opinion of it was low, i ve learned quite a bit about it and now cant really see any reason to think low of it. except for the tourneys, but thats just because im not a tourney kinda guy, i dont think it directly hurts the art anyways. so what exactly is wrong with it, in your opinion?