00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

108,836 Views | 625 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 02:31:18

At 7/22/13 01:22 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: We have no control over the genres, the Admins are the ones that decide that. Nor do we have any control over vote manipulation, once again, the admins decide on action for that.
Regardless... This is a thread for Audio Portal improvement suggestions, let's try to keep it that way. If you have issues with the mods/admins, PM the mods/admins and work it out there.

Wow, I honestly forgot all about the admins, and their power to take action and resolve issues. Okay, so my way to improve the audio portal is to have the admins interact more with the community, and hear our questions and concerns directly. That way, when there's an important issue (especially if it involved mod behavior), they'd be able to hear us out personally, instead of through someone's possibly slanted version of the matter.

* I really did forget about those guys. I can't even name an admin, to be honest. You're the only ones I see interacting in the threads I frequent, and that's why I brought my issues to you. I realize that being a mod is a thankless job, but I promise you- I'd definitely be appreciative if action was taken on anything I've ever brought to their attention.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 10:43:18

At 7/22/13 01:22 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I didn't have to do that, but I did it anyways.

If there is anything I hate the most, its when someone does their job and then says something like this. I don't want to seem rude, but what exactly are moderators supposed to do if not listen to the people?

We keep the portal clean, we don't manage its features (Save the front page audio... we, well, some of us, manage that).

We understand you don't manage its features, but to my original point: Its your JOB (volunteer or not.. YOU chose to do so) to listen to our complaints, and take them to the admins if enough people are saying the same thing. After that, yes, you're job is done. To tell us that is isn't YOUR job to take our complaints to the admins, then WHOS is it? The ONLY admin that has EVER PM'ed me back before, was Tom Fulp himself. I shouldn't have to bother the owner of the website to get something done, now should I? No.. that's pretty ridiculous.

Regardless... This is a thread for Audio Portal improvement suggestions, let's try to keep it that way. If you have issues with the mods/admins, PM the mods/admins and work it out there.

Alright, you're correct here. With all of this information coming to light, here is my suggestion: Get rid of the current moderators, find new ones, explain to them that they need to listen to our complaints and that it IS in there jobs to listen to the complaints if the issue is big enough, and take it to theadmins. To make them aware of it. Honestly, I always thought this was your job. If it isn't, I really honestly don't see the use of even having moderators at this point. You're useless, no offense. We could just create a button that says when something in the audio portal is sampled and all that. Everything you currently do, other than being the middle-man between the people and the creators, isn't even needed from you.. so that's my suggestion. Better moderators. It will help improve the Audio Portal BECAUSE then, the people will finally be heard, we won't be road-blocked anymore, and if the people are happy, then the website will improve. This isn't some government thing where you know whats better for us than WE do, this is Newgrounds, and the people deserve a say in everything.

Maybe I've sounded too rude here, but if it REALLY isn't in your job to listen to us, and a whole sweep of the mod-team is impossible, then my next suggestions is a change to the moderation team's rules. Listen to us. Its as simple as that. Be OUR middle-man, be OUR speakers.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 16:11:57

Admins know you guys want an Instrumental listing.

Now we can all get back to playing nicely again.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 16:14:59

What exactly do you guys expect to accomplish by complaining about the mods to those same mods? "Hey you guys are doing a shit job, would you please go tell your boss to fire you?"

If you have such a big problem, bitching and whining on the forums isn't gonna get anything done, just send an admin a PM and let them handle it. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Newgrounds isn't exactly a democracy. The mods are here to keep things clean and they were chosen because the admins felt they could do that job. Nobody said they have to bend over backwards to serve everyone that wants something changed.

At 7/22/13 02:31 AM, Teqneek wrote: * I really did forget about those guys. I can't even name an admin, to be honest.

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/about-newgrounds/staff

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 16:42:07

At 7/22/13 04:14 PM, Squidbit wrote: What exactly do you guys expect to accomplish by complaining about the mods to those same mods? "Hey you guys are doing a shit job, would you please go tell your boss to fire you?"

If you have such a big problem, bitching and whining on the forums isn't gonna get anything done, just send an admin a PM and let them handle it. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Newgrounds isn't exactly a democracy. The mods are here to keep things clean and they were chosen because the admins felt they could do that job. Nobody said they have to bend over backwards to serve everyone that wants something changed.

Dude, you clearly didn't live through DJ Ses. Shit happened. Things changed, for the better, for the first time in like three years because we all bitched to the mods. I'm a credit controller in my day job, I dare say I know better than most that he who shouts loudest will be heard. Maybe you're thankless, maybe you're a jerk, but you get heard and if you manage to make the price of not listening (more bitching) greater than the effort taken to listen, shit happens. If that sounds like an asshole's philosophy, Martin Luther King and Ghandi would tell you the same (albeit with slightly more imagery).

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 16:44:39

At 7/22/13 04:42 PM, AxTekk wrote: Maybe you're thankless, maybe you're a jerk, but you get heard and if you manage to make the price of not listening (more bitching) greater than the effort taken to listen, shit happens.

It's worth pointing out that it depends on the people you bitch to having an inclination to help, otherwise they'll squash you.

Thank you for not squashing us, mods.

Also, if we're going to the wrong people with the admin shit, is there someone we should contact instead? Is it just Tom and Wade?

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-07-22 16:54:57

I was hoping that users would just stick to the topic and not continue de-railing this thread...

This thread is meant for ideas to improve the audio portal.

This thread is NOT a "complaints against the moderators" thread.

Despite several warnings and requests to stay on topic, it appears that people are still continually going off topic.

So I'm going to give this thread a little bit of a cool-down period, and hope that when it is re-opened that people will appreciate it enough to use it for it's intended purpose.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 04:10:50

I'm unlocking this thread on the conditions that:

1. If you have a problem the way the audio portal is moderated, this is not the thread to discuss it. Use the PM system to contact audio mods directly. This is should be self-explanatory, but recent pages have brought the need to emphasize this.

2. No more "more genres" or "new genres" posts. These types of posts/threads eventually degenerate into useless arguments over which genres have priority over others, and don't add new ideas to this thread.

---

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 09:56:25

At 8/4/13 04:10 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: I'm unlocking this thread on the conditions that:

2. No more "more genres" or "new genres" posts. These types of posts/threads eventually degenerate into useless arguments over which genres have priority over others, and don't add new ideas to this thread.

---

I love you ^______^

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 12:15:44

At 8/4/13 09:56 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 8/4/13 04:10 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: I'm unlocking this thread on the conditions that:

2. No more "more genres" or "new genres" posts.
---
I love you ^______^

Oh come on Sequenced! That hip hop instrumental subcategory would've been a huge help for us...

Okay, two more ideas then I'm outta here:

1. There should be a more comprehensive audio stats tool. Like a list of all your songs, with total listens, comments, and downloads beside each one. Then a grand total at the top or bottom. That would be cool.

2. Are there ANY mods here that make hip hop? If not, then I definitely think there needs to be one who represents our fairly large chunk of the audio portal.

Anyway I'm done with this thread, but you guys should really give more consideration to these suggestions. I never wanted to start a fiasco; I just wanted to offer a way to make shit way easier for a whole bunch of people.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 17:25:47

At 8/4/13 12:15 PM, Teqneek wrote:

2. Are there ANY mods here that make hip hop? If not, then I definitely think there needs to be one who represents our fairly large chunk of the audio portal.

I do... sometimes. check out my instrumental...

but I also make every genre out there so lulz

also: relax. the admins can't just focus on the AP 24/7. they'll update the genre list slowly and maturely.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 18:45:12

bring back the classic audio portal. Audio portal is fucking dead without the dancing a-bot and the best of the week.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 22:34:12

At 8/4/13 08:23 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I have stood to enough of asshats in the NG hip hop communities who've done no good but chaos. And the last time this thread got locked because an asshole like you pumped derailment on bashing mod instead of getting some creativity on how to actually improve the portal.

First off, way to generalize the whole NG Hip Hop community based on the actions of a few people.

Secondly, step out of the thread and take this tomfoolery to PM. Or was it your intent to get thread locked again?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 22:57:02

At 8/4/13 08:23 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
@Teqneek stop being a total ass. Easer for a whole bunch of people? So nice, why not say it out loud that you only want shit easier for you and whoever supporting your shit.

I have stood to enough of asshats in the NG hip hop communities who've done no good but chaos. And the last time this thread got locked because an asshole like you pumped derailment on bashing mod instead of getting some creativity on how to actually improve the portal.

Easy, guy...

Actually you know what- fuck that. I'm getting attacked by this rude little prick...

Don't barge in here talking unprovoked shit to me when you don't know a damn thing about my 'motives'. Even if I was asking for a bone to be thrown our way- is there something wrong with that?

As for that Instrumental subcategory-

MAYBE IF YOU READ THIS DISCUSSION YOU'D KNOW I WAS TRYING TO GET IT IMPLEMENTED IN ALL 'SINGING' GENRES, NOT JUST HIP HOP. But I was told it coudn't happen because the Main Genres were already too cluttered with subcategories.

I then focused on at least getting an instrumental category in the hip hop genre, since it only has 4 current subcategories (by far the least).

Not one thing I've ever asked of the mods had anything to do with personal gain. I want Newgrounds to improve and actually retain new members, instead of dying a slow painful death. And trust me, I've been behind the scenes, respectfully asking for mod/admin assistance forever- but after repeatedly getting shot down I finally got fed up. Everything I've ever argued has been based in logic and rationality. And I'm through asking, as I stated above.

Where is all that hostility coming from? Settle your happy ass down kid.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-04 23:01:29

I'm done with this thread. Stop trying to provoke me and I'll stay out of here.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-05 00:20:40

At 8/4/13 11:01 PM, Teqneek wrote: I'm done with this thread. Stop trying to provoke me and I'll stay out of here.

bye

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-05 00:25:58

At 8/5/13 12:20 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 8/4/13 11:01 PM, Teqneek wrote: I'm done with this thread. Stop trying to provoke me and I'll stay out of here.
bye

Yeah, let's completely ignore the provocative jackass who came in and tried to derail the thread. At the very least, Elitwhatshisname deserves a temp ban.

#newgroundsmods

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-05 00:28:52

Flamebaiting is done. Everyone move on with your lives and use the thread for its intended purpose.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-05 09:10:30

Now that we're all civil, I think I wanna talk about the possibilities of being able to sell albums via Newgrounds? It would be pretty cool to be able to have your own NG Store on your profile - although I know this would require a lot of money, of which Newgrounds may or may not have, I don't know. Just a suggestion - but for a more realistic one, I think it'd be cool just to be able to post Albums or Mixtapes even if we can't sell them. Ya know, instead of it going by year, it can go by album sometimes and other stuff, maybe. How possible/impossible is this?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-05 17:20:49

At 8/5/13 09:10 AM, MDavidJohnson wrote: Now that we're all civil, I think I wanna talk about the possibilities of being able to sell albums via Newgrounds? It would be pretty cool to be able to have your own NG Store on your profile - although I know this would require a lot of money, of which Newgrounds may or may not have, I don't know. Just a suggestion - but for a more realistic one, I think it'd be cool just to be able to post Albums or Mixtapes even if we can't sell them. Ya know, instead of it going by year, it can go by album sometimes and other stuff, maybe. How possible/impossible is this?

Physical discs can be sold in the store, but then you have to converse with Tom, ship a bunch of CDs to NewGrounds' offices, then follow up with Tom every few months to see if he wants/needs any more for the store.

Being able to sell digital albums from your profile would be cool - but it would take a lot of infrastructure to set up. Not to mention all of the coding.

However, what could be pretty cool is if they could somehow implement an API for audio members that allowed them to sell music through Bandcamp, but still directly from their page. That way, everything could still be done through BandCamp/PayPal. The system's already there and it works really smoothly, so why waste time and energy trying to create something proprietary and comparable?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-07 07:23:41

At 8/4/13 08:23 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
@Teqneek stop being a total ass. Easer for a whole bunch of people? So nice, why not say it out loud that you only want shit easier for you and whoever supporting your shit. Last I check, NG is a pretty democratic place, where people get changes based of major supports.

How would an instrumental category only help their community when it could be implemented for any other genres that people want to sing/rap to as well?

You should calm down.

-

Anyway, a while ago in a thread about DJ ses I suggested we only have a like/dislike system as opposed to the rating system we have now. Midimachine said it should only be just a "like" system, which I also agree to considering I feel as if it's much more constructive to leave a detailed review as to why you didn't like a song as opposed to disliking it/zero bombing it. I'm not sure if the rating system is going to be changed anytime soon if at all but I thought I'd just leave this idea here.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate

I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-10 13:15:11

I have an idea.

Whenever you get a new fan, why not have a notification on your feed when you get a new fan?

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-10 13:20:54

At 8/10/13 01:15 PM, Sequenced wrote: I have an idea.

Whenever you get a new fan, why not have a notification on your feed when you get a new fan?

Also, while we're at it, why not put notifications in the notifications tab on top of each page?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-10 14:34:44

Yes a notifications for every new fan, and who it is, and a button to automatically follow that person back. Also a notification for when someone unfollows you, a button to unfollow that person in return, 0 vote all of his/her songs and leave auto generated negative comments.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-26 03:37:32

At 8/10/13 02:34 PM, SourJovis wrote: Also a notification for when someone unfollows you, a button to unfollow that person in return, 0 vote all of his/her songs and leave auto generated negative comments.

Ahahaha! Nice.
Uh...anyway, my suggestion would be something as an incentive to upload, vote and/or review audio?

pretty sure that has been suggested
really sorry for the necrobump

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-26 17:44:23

I made a thread about this as I didn't know this topic existed until I was informed in the thread. Here is what I wrote:

I've been coming to NG on-and-off for over a decade, and submitting audio to the portal for 7 years. I think Newgrounds is an amazing place. I found my life-passion here, so I have something of an emotional attachment to it. It's helped me grow as an artist and try and better myself and connected me with a bunch of talented people whom I may not have met otherwise. As I find myself trying to jump for greater heights, I'm finding that the NG Audio Portal hasn't been the place to do that.

The Audio Portal was always designed as a place where artists and game makers could go grab some royalty free tunes and post their games with some cool sound. Over the past few years I've found myself get repeatedly used: a game developer grabs a song, slaps it on their sponsored game, and goes along their merry way without so much as offering a thank you. I remember taking this issue to the forums and getting a rather unexpected backlash. I don't know if the attitude has shifted since then, but I still feel strongly that all people working on a collaborative project have a right to its creation, and so anything that is gained from it.

It just feels to me like the Audio Portal could benefit from making a structure similar to that of bandcamp. Allow artists to create albums that aren't just playlists. Give them the ability to choose whether or not they want to sell it. Maybe give a more expensive option to buy a royalty-free version of something. I dunno, these are just ideas.

There's a lot of talent on NG that gets lost in zero bombing. I think that the voting system should be removed from the audio portal, for the reason that not as many people browse the audio portal casually as they do the flash portal. You end up getting a bunch of creators trying to push down other creators to stand over each other.

What do you think audiophiles? Am I just a bumb who's lost touch with Newgrounds, or is this something that I wouldn't be alone in rallying for?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-27 11:58:49

The voting system has alway's been a problem so yeah u are quite right. also what doesn't really help is that this is manly a flash based site so the AP is more for an easy acces for the flash artist to get music.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-27 12:28:22

Ya I don't think its a good idea to let artists remove unwanted or harsh reviews. That's how they get better.

Im getting better, I'll be famous one day.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-28 10:22:31

At 11/27/13 12:28 PM, Mrobeymenow wrote: Ya I don't think its a good idea to let artists remove unwanted or harsh reviews. That's how they get better.

I think, this is where the whole system of Whistle Points comes into play.

If someone deems a review as "abusive" by hitting the exclamation mark, then he is basically raising grounds to flag a review. BUT if that review is seen to be genuine, pointing out the bad and perhaps sounding harsh (but being honest), then it's up to the NG staff to say, 'No, nothing doing, we aren't removing it'. And the Staff have a lot of discretion on whether a review is abusive or otherwise.

So really, that helps filter any unnecessary 'abusive' flags.

IF, however, a review was simply ad hominem, or a 'yo mama so fat that ________' (YES, WE HAVE HAD THESE BEFORE, MANY TIMES IN FACT!), then it is only right that we flag them as abusive.

And if they ARE abusive, we get positive whistle points, and our whistle rank increases to Bronze, Silver, Gold, even Deity. If they are not, we get negative whistle points instead, and our whistle rank might go down to Garbage.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-01 13:25:01

So, since this has been dead a while, and BrokenDeck has suggested, anything we think that could help the AudioPortal we should post here. For me I would like to start it off due to the recent piracy incident with:

Songs with an ability to enable and disable downloading on our tracks.

Reasons for:
Even though it does not stop people stealing music It will stop people randomly downloading it, uploading elsewhere with incredible ease. This makes your tracks more manageable around the internet as you have most of the control to upload where you see fit, not of anothers choosing. You can keep better track of who wants to use it in their projects, as I have had some tracks used in projects I would have not liked to have been connected to due to their inappropriate content, which I felt tipped on what I classified as my Moral rights. Other websites that are reputable use this approach to maintain safety, such as BandCamp, SoundCloud, etc.

Music is equally important as animation, games and art. These areas DO NOT have a download button. The Audio community on Newgrounds is subjected to, without choice the allowance of any user, logged in or not to download a track from their library. Having the option certifiably allows a more manageable and private system at the creators discretion.

BBS Signature