00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

108,939 Views | 625 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 10/20/15 05:23 PM, sebastien01 wrote: Beign able to see the list of people voting on your submissions, or force people who vote low to leave a comment.

Does this fsubmission deserves 1/5??? http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/898718
At least explain yourself why you vomit on music composers like this, if it's not to make your result better compared to the other ones.

In the last seconds, this one too http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/648285 received 1/5 by someone, probably the same f***er, I really want to know who it is. So we can debunk a voter, I don't know maybe remove his voting capability?

Well maybe my music is just total crap?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-20 19:39:40

At 10/20/15 02:07 PM, FinaLee wrote:
At 10/18/15 11:06 PM, Syzion wrote:
It shouldn't be if you understand how much influence scores currently have in a musician's success on this site. Hint: it's close to zero. The "most popular" and "best of the month" or whatever categories are more or less broken. Front page content is handpicked by moderators and staff members. You can raise the criticism of how certain aspects of the audio portal are in need of serious repair, but the zerobombing issue has been mostly resolved through the one vote per submission rule now.

I can't argue with this. I've only just experienced this a couple time. I know a lot of people had this like I did, I just felt it necessary to express my thoughts as well.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-20 20:27:43

At 10/20/15 07:39 PM, Syzion wrote: I can't argue with this. I've only just experienced this a couple time. I know a lot of people had this like I did, I just felt it necessary to express my thoughts as well.

Thanks for understanding, and I didn't mean to come off as harsh. It's just that many audio forum regulars and I see an unwarranted level of entitlement coming from users who recently got 0/1 bombed. The user above you is a clear example of this.

BBS Signature

At 10/20/15 07:39 PM, Syzion wrote:
At 10/20/15 02:07 PM, FinaLee wrote:
At 10/18/15 11:06 PM, Syzion wrote:
It shouldn't be if you understand how much influence scores currently have in a musician's success on this site. Hint: it's close to zero. The "most popular" and "best of the month" or whatever categories are more or less broken. Front page content is handpicked by moderators and staff members. You can raise the criticism of how certain aspects of the audio portal are in need of serious repair, but the zerobombing issue has been mostly resolved through the one vote per submission rule now.
I can't argue with this. I've only just experienced this a couple time. I know a lot of people had this like I did, I just felt it necessary to express my thoughts as well.

It's a good thing that the front page content is hand picked, but a lot of people seek for music in the archives, and when you have 4-5 stars, you appear in the first pages making you easier to find than when your music is 1-2 stars.

I'm not here to say anything bad about newgrounds, beacause it is an awsome web site :) but I think there is something more to do with zero bombers. If someone votes 3-4 times0 or 1 star in a row on songs with 4-5 stars, a big flashing popup appears in the zero bomber's browser. "You may be banned for zero bombing". If the user continues, ban his account for a couple of weeks.

The fact is that my song Deep Rest is used on youtube videos of one of the biggest veteran disability lawyers firm in USA, and I owe it first to the fact that this song was on newgrounds thank you to give us this possibility, and second it was not hard to find because it was not in the last pages of the archives.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-27 15:58:50

not sure where i should post this, but whenever i upload a track and choose to preview it, a popup tells me to wait till the upload is complete despite the fact it already is (meaning that i have to upload twice before i can preview)

what's up with that?

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-31 01:02:44

At 10/27/15 03:58 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: not sure where i should post this, but whenever i upload a track and choose to preview it, a popup tells me to wait till the upload is complete despite the fact it already is (meaning that i have to upload twice before i can preview)

what's up with that?

Same thing happened to me, click preview it should be there, then you click the dialogue at the top and move to the final step.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

this thread just reminded me that the loop option in the audio player isn't persistent. is that a bug or a feature?

also it'd be nice if submissions marked as loops had looping turned on in the player by default. is this doable Y/N? @BrenTheMan @liljim

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-11-03 00:33:25

At 10/31/15 01:02 AM, Syntrus wrote:
At 10/27/15 03:58 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: not sure where i should post this, but whenever i upload a track and choose to preview it, a popup tells me to wait till the upload is complete despite the fact it already is (meaning that i have to upload twice before i can preview)

what's up with that?
Same thing happened to me, click preview it should be there, then you click the dialogue at the top and move to the final step.

the way i've been able to get around this is by going straight back to the project manager after the upload has finished and publishing it from there. are you guys using firefox too?

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-11-03 05:22:29

Im using chrome, and i do same as you.
Minor issue if you ask me ^^

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-11-03 07:49:38

At 11/3/15 12:33 AM, midimachine wrote: the way i've been able to get around this is by going straight back to the project manager after the upload has finished and publishing it from there. are you guys using firefox too?

nope, chrome user here

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

A feature to create and share playlists as well as a way to play music while not on the songs audio page. For example soundcloud's player lets you listen to the music while you browse the site. Also be able to select playlists from this "overlay" (not sure what theyre called)

and the option to download all songs on a playlisgt, so if someone gives you a playlist you can download all the songs in it hasslefree. any songs not available to download are excluded from the download and you are notified of this.

The download comes in a .zip file and includes a .txt file of the licenses each song was released under.

Option to use simple player. I dont know about anyone elses, but the flash player seems extravagant and sometimes the script "stops responding"

When you highlight a song browsing audio portal a short, artist defined section of the song is played about 10 seconds long. This will allow artists let users know what the most interesting part of the song sounds like without having to visit the full page.

"work orders" which audio users can submit and art users can respond to. Things like album covers and whatnot can be "ordered" perhaps a currency such as deviant art's Points can be used for this, or it can just be completely currency free.

collaborations already exist, but perhaps it may be beneficial to tie some kind of reward or point system into it. This is a gaming site. I assume a lot of people like having points of some kind.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-01 20:03:09

At 10/2/15 04:33 PM, NeoMusiKa wrote: MORE GENRES!!!!!!!!

I would like to see a chillstep genre, an instrumental genre (not that specific. Orchestral), Piano (like PIANO ONLY), Techtrance (why not?), and some other genres that I can't think of right now

Also a potato
Somewhere
Anywhere

Still waiting for that potato...

NEOMUSIKA!!!!!!!

BBS Signature

At 12/1/15 08:03 PM, NeoMusiKa wrote:
At 10/2/15 04:33 PM, NeoMusiKa wrote: MORE GENRES!!!!!!!!

I would like to see a chillstep genre, an instrumental genre (not that specific. Orchestral), Piano (like PIANO ONLY), Techtrance (why not?), and some other genres that I can't think of right now

Also a potato
Somewhere
Anywhere
Still waiting for that potato...
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/656742

Okay. Let's tackle one thing at a time.

1) Chillstep. @BrokenDeck @NekoMika @BrenTheMan Do you know if this genre is widely submitted to? If there is sufficient demand for it, we can justify introducing it, but if not, no dice.

2. Orchestral. Do you mean "not classical, not cinematic?" Because for the vast majority of submissions it's been one or the other. If it's meant for cinematic purposes it goes into Other - Cinematic; if not it goes into Easy Listening - Classical. Just what kind of orchestral stuff are you aiming to do / doing?

3. Piano only goes under Easy Listening - Solo Instrument. Yes, there's been a genre for that sort of thing for quite a while now.

4. Techtrance. Same argument as for the Chillstep.

As for your potato, I think the best thing to do is eat it up while it's still warm, no complaints.

</blackhumour>

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-02 17:27:06

At 12/2/15 02:25 PM, Troisnyx wrote:

1) Chillstep. @BrokenDeck @NekoMika @BrenTheMan Do you know if this genre is widely submitted to? If there is sufficient demand for it, we can justify introducing it, but if not, no dice.

why not just do what acidplanet did and have a drop down menu with all subgenres

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-03 12:50:45

2. Orchestral. Do you mean "not classical, not cinematic?" Because for the vast majority of submissions it's been one or the other. If it's meant for cinematic purposes it goes into Other - Cinematic; if not it goes into Easy Listening - Classical. Just what kind of orchestral stuff are you aiming to do / doing?

Yeah that

NEOMUSIKA!!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-03 13:32:01

At 12/1/15 08:03 PM, NeoMusiKa wrote:

I have no idea really. I think people will use what's available. I definitely think the genres could use an update and maybe even a reorganization.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-07 20:04:47

Notes on genres... (a little late)

Trap ends up in Dubstep when the two are quite different in some ways.
Hardcore has been made by more than one famous NG artist and there is still no genre for it.
I'm sure some people would love to see a genre for Future Bass. ( @Lockyn )

Additionally, even further subgenres could make people happy, but that would take a lot of work for you guys, so no need :P

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-08 00:40:31

At 12/7/15 08:04 PM, Gragon73 wrote: Notes on genres... (a little late)

Trap ends up in Dubstep when the two are quite different in some ways.
Hardcore has been made by more than one famous NG artist and there is still no genre for it.
I'm sure some people would love to see a genre for Future Bass. ( @Lockyn )

Additionally, even further subgenres could make people happy, but that would take a lot of work for you guys, so no need :P

Hey Gragon, thanks for the shoutout. I definitely would love a Future Bass genre. :) Cheers mate.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-13 14:06:48

At 12/13/15 12:53 PM, Lich wrote: Hey @BrenTheMan - is there anyway with the current system for us to manually sync visible lyrics to the audio player in time with the music so people can visually see what words people are singing? (Like how Spotify does it).

No - but one we replace the player with an HTML5 one, it's remotely possible that there may be a plugin that does that (or we'd have to write one).

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-14 20:34:04

This is why we should limit daily submissions...

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-15 14:56:54

"Submitting material that is not yours

GEOMETRY DASH USERS: Do NOT upload songs you did not create! We only allow ORIGINAL works on Newgrounds!"

Thanks guys.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-16 15:29:39

At 12/16/15 03:10 PM, Seprix wrote:
At 12/14/15 08:34 PM, Gragon73 wrote: This is why we should limit daily submissions...
Maybe he's new and he's uploading all of his new stuff. Though I agree, a limit of 10 songs a day should be implemented. I mean, really. If you're making songs that quickly, are they really going to be that good?

That's still enough to completely cover the "Brand Spankin' New Audio" tab on the front page of the portal with two to spare.

I would go with five or six per day, with at least an hour between submissions. This allows for releases of EPs and such, while preventing a huge amount of submissions.

If someone really wants feedback on all of their music, they should be able to wait a bit so that they actually get feedback rather than layering the submissions on so that no one wants to review them. It honestly attracts more attention to something if there's just one or two songs as opposed to ten or more.

Anyone who wants to upload their newest album or all of their tracks should do it on SoundCloud or Bandcamp rather than filling the portal with all of it.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-29 10:15:23

They should actually have awards for the Audio Portal in their own way. For example the award for 1st place can be a Gold Disc, Silver, Bronze, etc. Then #1 in the week could be a Platinum.

Gives all musicians something to strive for and show them that hard work will pay off.

Then again, this is just an idea, I don't know why but I'm getting so excited over this.

| Steam | Sig is by Homicide <3 |

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-29 10:19:37

At 12/29/15 10:15 AM, Wavepad wrote:
Then again, this is just an idea, I don't know why but I'm getting so excited over this.

they actually had this over 8 years ago

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-29 10:22:28

At 12/29/15 10:19 AM, Sequenced wrote:

Meaning someone had an idea about it 8 years ago? Or you're talking about the Best Audio This Week section?

| Steam | Sig is by Homicide <3 |

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-29 17:51:55

At 12/29/15 10:22 AM, Wavepad wrote:
At 12/29/15 10:19 AM, Sequenced wrote:
Meaning someone had an idea about it 8 years ago? Or you're talking about the Best Audio This Week section?

That idea was removed because the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum awards were all based on the number of downloads. That obviously became a rigged system because people could download their own audio as many times as they wanted to circumvent that system and get whatever award they so desired.

I would not mind if there was an award for Frontpaged Audio, like they do with the Art frontpages. That would give some sort of recognition / incentive. But then again, I need to be sure that such a system would not have its flaws, so feel free to point out any.

@BrokenDeck @NekoMika

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-29 17:54:34

At 12/16/15 03:10 PM, Seprix wrote:
At 12/14/15 08:34 PM, Gragon73 wrote: This is why we should limit daily submissions...
Maybe he's new and he's uploading all of his new stuff. Though I agree, a limit of 10 songs a day should be implemented. I mean, really. If you're making songs that quickly, are they really going to be that good?

That upper limit is reasonable. Up to 2012 the upper limit on audio submissions was TWO A DAY. That was unreasonable. Those of us taking part in the Newgrounds Game Jams that year complained about the upper limit, because we were submitting not only our games, but also the audio used for them, all on the same day, and most games would have three, four, perhaps even five tracks each.

It's highly unlikely that one makes a game with 10 audio submissions that have to be uploaded on the same day; however, if we make an upper limit of 10 and it still has to be circumvented, I hope this can sort of be resolved through PM to a member of staff (say, @liljim or @BrenTheMan). Of course, there'd have to be a compelling reason to bypass the upper limit of submissions.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-12-30 13:30:29

At 12/29/15 05:54 PM, Troisnyx wrote: That upper limit is reasonable. [snip] I hope this can sort of be resolved through PM to a member of staff (say, @liljim or @BrenTheMan). Of course, there'd have to be a compelling reason to bypass the upper limit of submissions.

I don't agree with limiting like this any more. There are perfectly legitimate scenarios for people uploading many submissions in one sitting. A more extreme example might be someone like Kevin Macleod deciding to upload their entire back catalog. Putting up hurdles to prevent them doing that is backwards IMO. The only limiting we should be doing is rate limiting to prevent actual abuse (flood protection).

The problem currently is that when people submit many items at a time, it swamps the recent listings - so it's an issue with the way that the content is being presented, not that the content is getting submitted to the site. So the solution should be to present that content better - put it in a digestible format and group multiple entries by the same artist together. I mentioned something similar for art portal entries a while back.

Anything that requires human interaction is also flawed. For example, right now Bren and I are both supposed to be taking time off (we both suck at doing that, so we've been around doing bits anyway). But yeah, that proposal would crumble the moment we did take time off and stick to it. Plus you have all the complexity of delivering that message to the end user.... like they have to figure out who to contact and when... just doesn't work.

already submitted this idea but no one responded to it. maybe noone saw it, maybe no one cared. but anyways:

Have it so when you highlight a song with your cursor when browsing a little window pops up where a 10-15 second preview plays

The artist defines what part of the song this preview plays.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-01-02 07:24:18

At 1/1/16 06:11 PM, Rennh wrote: already submitted this idea but no one responded to it. maybe noone saw it, maybe no one cared. but anyways:

Have it so when you highlight a song with your cursor when browsing a little window pops up where a 10-15 second preview plays

The artist defines what part of the song this preview plays.

This would probably result in less people visiting the song page, which would cause a decrease in votes and reviews.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature