New Topic Respond to this Topic
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-08-10 14:34:44 Reply

Yes a notifications for every new fan, and who it is, and a button to automatically follow that person back. Also a notification for when someone unfollows you, a button to unfollow that person in return, 0 vote all of his/her songs and leave auto generated negative comments.

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-26 03:37:32 Reply

At 8/10/13 02:34 PM, SourJovis wrote: Also a notification for when someone unfollows you, a button to unfollow that person in return, 0 vote all of his/her songs and leave auto generated negative comments.

Ahahaha! Nice.
Uh...anyway, my suggestion would be something as an incentive to upload, vote and/or review audio?

pretty sure that has been suggested
really sorry for the necrobump

Links
Twitter

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-26 17:44:23 Reply

I made a thread about this as I didn't know this topic existed until I was informed in the thread. Here is what I wrote:

I've been coming to NG on-and-off for over a decade, and submitting audio to the portal for 7 years. I think Newgrounds is an amazing place. I found my life-passion here, so I have something of an emotional attachment to it. It's helped me grow as an artist and try and better myself and connected me with a bunch of talented people whom I may not have met otherwise. As I find myself trying to jump for greater heights, I'm finding that the NG Audio Portal hasn't been the place to do that.

The Audio Portal was always designed as a place where artists and game makers could go grab some royalty free tunes and post their games with some cool sound. Over the past few years I've found myself get repeatedly used: a game developer grabs a song, slaps it on their sponsored game, and goes along their merry way without so much as offering a thank you. I remember taking this issue to the forums and getting a rather unexpected backlash. I don't know if the attitude has shifted since then, but I still feel strongly that all people working on a collaborative project have a right to its creation, and so anything that is gained from it.

It just feels to me like the Audio Portal could benefit from making a structure similar to that of bandcamp. Allow artists to create albums that aren't just playlists. Give them the ability to choose whether or not they want to sell it. Maybe give a more expensive option to buy a royalty-free version of something. I dunno, these are just ideas.

There's a lot of talent on NG that gets lost in zero bombing. I think that the voting system should be removed from the audio portal, for the reason that not as many people browse the audio portal casually as they do the flash portal. You end up getting a bunch of creators trying to push down other creators to stand over each other.

What do you think audiophiles? Am I just a bumb who's lost touch with Newgrounds, or is this something that I wouldn't be alone in rallying for?

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-27 11:58:49 Reply

The voting system has alway's been a problem so yeah u are quite right. also what doesn't really help is that this is manly a flash based site so the AP is more for an easy acces for the flash artist to get music.

Mrobeymenow
Mrobeymenow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-27 12:28:22 Reply

Ya I don't think its a good idea to let artists remove unwanted or harsh reviews. That's how they get better.

Im getting better, I'll be famous one day.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-11-28 10:22:31 Reply

At 11/27/13 12:28 PM, Mrobeymenow wrote: Ya I don't think its a good idea to let artists remove unwanted or harsh reviews. That's how they get better.

I think, this is where the whole system of Whistle Points comes into play.

If someone deems a review as "abusive" by hitting the exclamation mark, then he is basically raising grounds to flag a review. BUT if that review is seen to be genuine, pointing out the bad and perhaps sounding harsh (but being honest), then it's up to the NG staff to say, 'No, nothing doing, we aren't removing it'. And the Staff have a lot of discretion on whether a review is abusive or otherwise.

So really, that helps filter any unnecessary 'abusive' flags.

IF, however, a review was simply ad hominem, or a 'yo mama so fat that ________' (YES, WE HAVE HAD THESE BEFORE, MANY TIMES IN FACT!), then it is only right that we flag them as abusive.

And if they ARE abusive, we get positive whistle points, and our whistle rank increases to Bronze, Silver, Gold, even Deity. If they are not, we get negative whistle points instead, and our whistle rank might go down to Garbage.

EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-01 13:25:01 Reply

So, since this has been dead a while, and BrokenDeck has suggested, anything we think that could help the AudioPortal we should post here. For me I would like to start it off due to the recent piracy incident with:

Songs with an ability to enable and disable downloading on our tracks.

Reasons for:
Even though it does not stop people stealing music It will stop people randomly downloading it, uploading elsewhere with incredible ease. This makes your tracks more manageable around the internet as you have most of the control to upload where you see fit, not of anothers choosing. You can keep better track of who wants to use it in their projects, as I have had some tracks used in projects I would have not liked to have been connected to due to their inappropriate content, which I felt tipped on what I classified as my Moral rights. Other websites that are reputable use this approach to maintain safety, such as BandCamp, SoundCloud, etc.

Music is equally important as animation, games and art. These areas DO NOT have a download button. The Audio community on Newgrounds is subjected to, without choice the allowance of any user, logged in or not to download a track from their library. Having the option certifiably allows a more manageable and private system at the creators discretion.

aka. Peter

BBS Signature
Vultyrex
Vultyrex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-01 13:34:02 Reply

I have an idea to add.

How about making uploads visable only to people you have on your approved friends list or people who have favorited you. Also, the user has control who can block a user from favoriting them thus preventing them from seeing/hearing said upload.

Obviously, the upload wouldn't be visable to guests neither. Could also allow the user to approve favorites to allow them to see their uploads too. Similar to what facebook does to various sections.

Just lurking...

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-01 15:39:08 Reply

At 5/1/14 01:44 PM, Conal wrote:

That idea was so bad that I had to actually gouge my eyes out and polish them to double check I was reading properly. No.

But I have a good idea. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could see when we get new fans in our feed?

It can tell us what track or page that we were followed from.

i like metal fans

lel

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-02 03:54:30 Reply

Actually. Is any of this ever looked at? :/
Or are we just completely wasting our time?

aka. Peter

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-02 04:25:03 Reply

At 5/2/14 03:54 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Actually. Is any of this ever looked at? :/

wade has popped in this thread once in a while .

i can link him again if needed

lel

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-02 05:44:54 Reply

At 5/2/14 04:25 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 5/2/14 03:54 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Actually. Is any of this ever looked at? :/
wade has popped in this thread once in a while .

i can link him again if needed

*Hugs!

aka. Peter

BBS Signature
SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-02 06:38:52 Reply

At 5/1/14 01:25 PM, PeterSatera wrote:

Reasons for:
Even though it does not stop people stealing music It will stop people randomly downloading it, uploading elsewhere with incredible ease. Other websites that are reputable use this approach to maintain safety, such as BandCamp, SoundCloud, etc.

Music is equally important as animation, games and art. These areas DO NOT have a download button.

I think the same way. Dont forget the "exclusive author" option on audiojungle. There are lots of people who do not upload here because they fear they could not have the exclusive benefits anymore. I have found several tracks on NG with an audiojungle watermark because these people want to save their exclusivity this way (which is stupid, but nevertheless i have noticed this several times)

BBS Signature
Mattashi
Mattashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-04 06:40:49 Reply

At 5/1/14 01:25 PM, PeterSatera wrote: So, since this has been dead a while, and BrokenDeck has suggested, anything we think that could help the AudioPortal we should post here. For me I would like to start it off due to the recent piracy incident with:

I agree on the download disable/able feature.
If people want your song in a flash they can always message you. (which most people do anyway)
Allot of people just download music and use it for something without giving credit, it's good to know what your music is being used for too

BBS Signature
CzeryWassierSwizier
CzeryWassierSwizier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-04 10:19:31 Reply

I haven't read the entire the thread in its entirety but has anyone suggested that NG reward users who vote on audio subs with experience points? Why should only votes toward movies and games be rewarded.

Even though this change wouldn't bring about dramatic change it would help encourage increased participation in the audio portal itself (which is something we actually need). This could arguably even relieve the zero bombing problem as more "normal" votes would overpower the evil zeros.

I'm a noob.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-08 16:18:29 Reply

forwarded this thread to the major tom fulp.

keep throwing out ideas guys. don't feel like this is going to waste.

lel

BBS Signature
JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-08 17:03:49 Reply

Chiming in...

I would love to have the option to sell music in the Audio Portal, so you can choose to make it free, or charge a fee or pay-what-you-want. You could also generate unlock codes, so if a starving game dev wants to use your music, you can give him an unlock code for a free download.

I would also love to have more materials related to the licensing of music and what those terms are. It would be great if we could auto-generate a license you could then give to YouTube when you use music from the Audio Portal, and potentially pay the artist a specified fee for that license based on what sort of usage you have in mind.

I also would like to see daily awards on the Audio Portal front page. And Sequenced suggested featuring Audio in the Best of the Month - I'd like that too, even if we just based it on some score / listen algorithm to start with maybe vs the community voting. We still want to do a trophy system revamp and it could make this whole paragraph happen if that happens.

It's been unfortunate that we haven't had the development resources to move these projects forward, they all feel like things with the potential to happen but so many other things behind the scenes have kept pushing back the launch of other new features. Still hoping we can get there with ideas like these though!

One bit of good news, a big feed overhaul is secretly up and running and you'll have access to that soon enough!

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-08 17:30:00 Reply

At 5/8/14 05:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: One bit of good news, a big feed overhaul is secretly up and running and you'll have access to that soon enough!

Hooray!

JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-08 17:56:38 Reply

At 5/4/14 10:19 AM, CzeryWassierSwizier wrote: I haven't read the entire the thread in its entirety but has anyone suggested that NG reward users who vote on audio subs with experience points? Why should only votes toward movies and games be rewarded.

Even though this change wouldn't bring about dramatic change it would help encourage increased participation in the audio portal itself (which is something we actually need). This could arguably even relieve the zero bombing problem as more "normal" votes would overpower the evil zeros.

This, and:

1) Require having at least half the song (or more) play before being able to vote

2) Ban Tony-DarkGrave from voting in the Audio Portal

Mattashi
Mattashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-09 02:29:36 Reply

At 5/8/14 05:56 PM, JRob wrote: 1) Require having at least half the song (or more) play before being able to vote

I like that one!
how about a random song selector? for people who are looking for music but not sure what they want or just feel like hearing random songs.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-09 13:31:21 Reply

At 5/9/14 02:29 AM, Mattashi wrote:
At 5/8/14 05:56 PM, JRob wrote: 1) Require having at least half the song (or more) play before being able to vote
I like that one!
how about a random song selector? for people who are looking for music but not sure what they want or just feel like hearing random songs.

good idea. its like when the bot played the top 5 songs, except they play whatever now.

lel

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-09 18:40:14 Reply

At 5/9/14 02:29 AM, Mattashi wrote:
At 5/8/14 05:56 PM, JRob wrote:
I like that one!

That feature actually already exists! just add /random after the newgrounds.com/audio extention to be redirected to a random song on the portal.

For example, follow THIS link to listen to a random song!

yetanotherjohn
yetanotherjohn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-09 21:34:41 Reply

While we consider selling audio, How about releasing multiple songs at once, grouped as an album? One could offer a discount for buying the entire album rather than 1 or 2 songs from it.

Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-09 22:47:03 Reply

What if we could make playlists (of our own music) kind of like Soundcloud? This would make it easier to group together songs which are supposed to be an album or EP, and played in a certain order.

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-10 00:07:27 Reply

At 5/9/14 10:47 PM, Witch wrote: What if we could make playlists (of our own music) kind of like Soundcloud? This would make it easier to group together songs which are supposed to be an album or EP, and played in a certain order.

Again, something that IS already there.

Click on the three horizontal lines on the top-right corner of any song to add it to a playlist.

Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-10 00:10:43 Reply

At 5/10/14 12:07 AM, camoshark wrote: Again, something that IS already there.

Click on the three horizontal lines on the top-right corner of any song to add it to a playlist.

But other people can't see those, can they?

BBS Signature
Mattashi
Mattashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-05-10 01:44:11 Reply

At 5/9/14 06:40 PM, camoshark wrote:
That feature actually already exists! just add /random after the newgrounds.com/audio extention to be redirected to a random song on the portal.

For example, follow THIS link to listen to a random song!

Oh wow I didn't even know about this! :P

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 17:46:39 Reply

I absolutely despise the fact that whenever we produce threads about a specific feature on the website, it gets locked, and we then get redirected to this thread. Not only does it hinder open conversations, but it really helps to give off the impression that our opinions are shifted under the carpet.

We are getting tired that common complaints that have been issued for the past 5+ years have yet to see ANY progress, and scoffing at it and saying that "we ought to shut our mouths are be happy that we even HAVE a portal" is beyond insulting. If something has been talked to death, maybe the issue ought to be addressed.

Can we FINALLY get some sort of conversation going and stop getting our threads locked whenever subject are brought along?

/rant
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 19:21:08 Reply

At 7/14/14 05:46 PM, camoshark wrote: I absolutely despise the fact that whenever we produce threads about a specific feature on the website, it gets locked, and we then get redirected to this thread. Not only does it hinder open conversations, but it really helps to give off the impression that our opinions are shifted under the carpet.

sorry that brokendeck interrupted that circlejerk of a thread, but he's right in that the "review to vote" thing has come up again and again. it's not that the staff haven't considered it, or that they won't consider it again now that it's a major topic, but i get the feeling that they really just don't like the idea. i don't like it either, tbh i don't even like having to leave a score with a review. scoring is just generally dumb cause everyone uses a different metric and has differdnt scoring criteria, not to mention the scale is entirely arbitrary. but i digress!

We are getting tired that common complaints that have been issued for the past 5+ years have yet to see ANY progress, and scoffing at it and saying that "we ought to shut our mouths are be happy that we even HAVE a portal" is beyond insulting.

nobody said anything like that, and it certainly wasn't used as a grounds for closing.

Can we FINALLY get some sort of conversation going and stop getting our threads locked whenever subject are brought along?

i don't know if you've noticed, but you're posting in it right now. this thread was made so mods and staff could easily find audio portal suggestions, and they pay closer attention to this thread than any of the others as long as people are actually using it.

p.s. i am gay