00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soniccrackers23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Troisnyx's Art Thread

103,430 Views | 639 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 19:49:11

I just realised that it wouldn't be fit to post my art in a thread which says "I'm new" in the title... Anyway.

Drawn on MS Paint for Windows 7.
Lighting and background done on GIMP 2.6.
Paint filter added on PowerPoint 2010.

This picture dates back to May 2011, and it's my first decent digital drawing. Ever. Kirby's pose is inspired by the slow close-up from the second Hoshi no Kaabii intro.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 20:13:38

At 4/10/12 07:49 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Drawn on MS Paint for Windows 7.
Lighting and background done on GIMP 2.6.
Paint filter added on PowerPoint 2010.

I find it's alright, considering Kirby is a rather simple character.This being said it's cute and you put some creativity in the background. You seem to have put a fair amount of time into it and that's nice.

However, a few things startled me from your post. You need to get yourself equipped with the right tools! MS paint and Powerpoint are unlikely to be appropriate creative tools to go further in the style of cg painting you've shown so far. Gimp 2.6 is most likely the best (free) candidate to do all your work in, as this could have been entirely done using the Gimp. Using 'creative' filters and such usually decreases the quality of the artwork and is not a good habit to pick up when painting, so try to avoid those! It's just too easy to filter rape an image, and it certainly stands out in a negative way to a trained eye.

Keep it up, hope you post some more works!

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 21:07:31

At 4/10/12 08:13 PM, Vonschlippe wrote: However, a few things startled me from your post. You need to get yourself equipped with the right tools!

I sure do. :S

:MS paint and Powerpoint are unlikely to be appropriate creative tools to go further in the style of cg painting you've shown so far. Gimp 2.6 is most likely the best (free) candidate to do all your work in, as this could have been entirely done using the Gimp. Using 'creative' filters and such usually decreases the quality of the artwork and is not a good habit to pick up when painting, so try to avoid those! It's just too easy to filter rape an image, and it certainly stands out in a negative way to a trained eye.

Gotcha. I've used a lot less of MS Paint in my current works, so that might help. I've still got a lot more to learn, but seriously, thanks a lot for the feedback! :D

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 21:14:57

This one is also from last year (not sure precisely when). I named them Daichi and Saki, though the kanji for "Daichi" in the picture is wrong (my bad!).

These were meant to be mascots for a DA group for all things kawaii, but didn't win (didn't even make it to the finals!). I'm still happy with how much of it turned out, but my only complaint now, when I look at it, is the unnatural shading in some parts.

Drawn on DeviantArt Muro.
Coloured on GIMP 2.6.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 21:44:12

You should figure draw.

Sacred wind tribe

BBS Signature

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 21:47:41

At 4/10/12 09:44 PM, TasmanianDevil wrote: You should figure draw.

If figure drawing means drawing actual human figures and not chibis... I.... have this pencil work. Although this dates back to 2010.

Probably one of my quicker sketches.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-10 22:41:57

One of the OST covers which I use regularly on Newgrounds.
Drew this back in 2009; black and red permanent markers on A4 paper.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-11 06:25:20

One of my pictures from last year, and despite the methods used, I'm actually quite proud of how it turned out.
My only complaints now, if I look at it, are that--

1) There isn't much prominent lighting in the metal frames of the Wayfinders.
2) Neither is there much detail in the metal frames.

There's a long process which I used which involved a number of programs, since I wasn't competent enough in using GIMP or Photoshop properly. Full process can be read here, complete with pictorial evidence.

So. This is by far my most favourited piece, but I will admit, not my best. Please, do tell me what you think.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-12 13:45:10

My first attempt at digital pencilling. This was in January. I wanted to do something in the style of a children's book, and I realised Kirby would be the best character for it.

Sketchlines drawn on DeviantArt Muro and later erased.
Colouring done on GIMP 2.6.
Entire thing was done on a touchpad.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-12 17:43:55

Something fairly recent -- I finished this yesterday as a DeviantID.
Sketchlines, outlines and basic colouring on DeviantArt Muro.
Lighting and background on GIMP 2.6.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-13 09:24:59

I'm kinda concerned... Is there anything in particular that needs improvement, or...? Not very many people have said anything.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-13 09:38:53

At 4/13/12 09:24 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I'm kinda concerned... Is there anything in particular that needs improvement, or...? Not very many people have said anything.

Yeah i'm having similar problems with my art thread. Not many people have taken any interest.
but I'll give you some feed back on your stuff.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-13 09:44:23

The first picture on here, I gotta say is amazing. Your style really comes to life and it is at its best. It really seems bubbly and bright and the colors are just fantastic. However, the lines aren't really crisp, but that is fine is a lot of styles of art.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-13 09:47:59

At 4/13/12 09:38 AM, dvg88 wrote:
At 4/13/12 09:24 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I'm kinda concerned... Is there anything in particular that needs improvement, or...? Not very many people have said anything.
Yeah i'm having similar problems with my art thread. Not many people have taken any interest.
but I'll give you some feed back on your stuff.

I've given you feedback too! Just a little more, and I trust we will be able to scout you. Also, I will pay a visit to your art thread.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-13 10:25:48

The last drawing that you have posted on here is a very conventional anime style and the colors make it look pretty "dreamy" if that's a word
In alot of anime the most important features are the hair and the eyes, and I can give you a few tips for that.
the pupils really need to be round as close to a circle as possible. the top and the very center of the eyes are the darkest, it slowly becomes lighter at the sides going down, and the bottom is the brightest. You can add shiny bits to make the eye look like its wet, but this is the general rule when drawing eyes.
the more you borrow from realism, the better, at least it is in my opinion.
Here is a pretty good demonstration for eyes.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Professional-drawing-tutoria l!!!/

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-13 15:07:01

Thank you! :D I'll deffo keep that in mind for my next drawings/colourings. (And at some point, retouch the current ones too.)

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 12:52:24

Guys, this is a work I hold close to my heart, and I think I did this last month. It's also the first time I've drawn the things in the picture. Human characters, I suppose I'm slightly more well-versed with them than objects, but.... oh well. Thought I'd share it with you all.

Mouse-drawn on DeviantArt Muro.
Basic colouring done on DeviantArt Muro.
Lighting and touches done on Photoshop CS5.1.

I'm trying to tell a story with this scene: this is taking place at two different floors: the ground floor and the organ loft of a chapel. The guy at the top doesn't reveal who he is, but he seems to have been touched by darkness for some reason. He challenges a priest who comes in, and the priest seems to know him, and essentially, what he's saying is, "If you think so high and mighty of yourself, let's take this outside the chapel, shall we?" The two are challenging each other to what would be a boss battle (for a bullet hell shooter).

The background is my inept, cartoonish version of a real-life place, the Boys' Chapel at Stonyhurst College.

Feedback on the aesthetics and plot points are welcome. I need feedback on both, because if the aesthetics are good but they don't get the story across, then that's not gonna be too good, eh?

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 12:53:35

Almost forgot:
Softglow done on PowerPoint 2010. I felt it necessary...

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 13:36:52

At 4/14/12 12:53 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Almost forgot:
Softglow done on PowerPoint 2010. I felt it necessary...

LOOOOOOOMIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS

But seriously though, check out porportions of the human body
Stop drawing anime for a while, it's killing you. I liked alot of the stuff that isn't anime.
Also check out some digital painting tutorials at ctrl+Paint.com
and what tasmaniandevil meant by figure drawing is that you should go to posemaniacs or go to

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

That's what I like to use, you can either have nude of clothed drawings.
I prefer this over pose maniacs, I only use pose maniacs for when I try getting muscles right
Keep at it, I like alot of the stuff I see so far.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 13:57:36

At 4/14/12 01:36 PM, Asperchu wrote:
LOOOOOOOMIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS

But seriously though, check out porportions of the human body
Stop drawing anime for a while, it's killing you. I liked alot of the stuff that isn't anime.
Also check out some digital painting tutorials at ctrl+Paint.com
and what tasmaniandevil meant by figure drawing is that you should go to posemaniacs or go to

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

That's what I like to use, you can either have nude of clothed drawings.
I prefer this over pose maniacs, I only use pose maniacs for when I try getting muscles right
Keep at it, I like alot of the stuff I see so far.

I'll have them clothed, but hey, thanks for the heads-up. I'm attempting something now, but be warned-- the quality isn't going to be good. I don't have a scanner at my disposal now, and if I ever do scan anything, it's going to be in the uni library (which I won't be going to until perhaps mid-next week).

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 14:05:19

Also, this is for your eyes.
They could use alot of help.
If you can't read this here it as a dump link to for anyone interested. I have a bunch of tutorials just like this ready to give out.
But I won't be on here for a while, I just got done downloading a vilppu torrent.
Dump link

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 14:17:14

At 4/14/12 02:05 PM, Asperchu wrote: Also, this is for your eyes.

Thanks... I cannot imagine myself doing realism at all, but I'll give it a shot and see what comes out of it.

Part of the reason why I resorted to anime was because that was the style by which I knew how to give people joy. I just want to give people joy, and it was sorta easy to make people smile whenever they saw cute anime eyes. I was terrible with realism during my school years, and that made matters worse. I don't know how to really make people smile with realism yet, but I'll try.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 14:50:40

At 4/14/12 02:17 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 4/14/12 02:05 PM, Asperchu wrote: Also, this is for your eyes.
Thanks... I cannot imagine myself doing realism at all, but I'll give it a shot and see what comes out of it.

Part of the reason why I resorted to anime was because that was the style by which I knew how to give people joy. I just want to give people joy, and it was sorta easy to make people smile whenever they saw cute anime eyes. I was terrible with realism during my school years, and that made matters worse. I don't know how to really make people smile with realism yet, but I'll try.

Practicing realism isn't JUST to get good at realism. Following the "rules" of realism will only improve all aspects of you art talent. ESPECIALLY ANIME PEOPLE! :D I studied realism and now my are is pretty good.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 15:05:28

Considering what you did with the death mask, I'll deffo give it a try. : )
I actually am doing something right now..... Might probably be a failed attempt, but I'll do my best.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 15:09:01

At 4/14/12 03:05 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Considering what you did with the death mask, I'll deffo give it a try. : )
I actually am doing something right now..... Might probably be a failed attempt, but I'll do my best.

Don't think of it as a failure, just think of it as studying. :D

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 15:40:07

This is all my crummy webcam could take. If I ever take this to uni, I'll scan it. Look, the lighting on the paper isn't even uniform!

For one, all the detail that I put in is gone, and two, the shine on the eyes is not even captured.

It's a self-portrait, by the way.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 15:53:46

That looks great- there's a ton of rendering in this piece that gives it a depth that most of your anime pieces lack.
Can't wait to see how it looks properly scanned or photographed.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 16:14:23

Thanks. : ) When I put up the final version, I'll put it up alongside the picture I used as a reference.

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 18:41:27

At 4/14/12 03:40 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: This is all my crummy webcam could take. If I ever take this to uni, I'll scan it. Look, the lighting on the paper isn't even uniform!

For one, all the detail that I put in is gone, and two, the shine on the eyes is not even captured.

This is the best thing you've put up in the entire thread!
You've got a good thing going here!

Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-04-14 19:01:46

At 4/14/12 03:40 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: This is all my crummy webcam could take. If I ever take this to uni, I'll scan it. Look, the lighting on the paper isn't even uniform!

Also, nose tutorial
Mouth tutorial
Hair tutorial