Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 19:31:49 Reply

I think a flash-based audio portal would be a good idea, Like a totally interactive experience with expandable icons and live uploads(or stream) with all the tools in a reasonably sized expandable square including simple information and a mini player (much like the old style) and DL link. all on the front page for each song, using a pop-up style info panel or something similiar for expanded information of the song and maybe a little page link to review and rate, much like an integration of the current style but totally doing away with the unattractive main audio page.

I'm not even sure if this would be possible, An audio stream of new, popular, and something like Weekly hits with some record awards for the top 3 or something.

And then there's an idea to kind of completely segregate the portals themselves, wrapping up the forum up into the portal itself instead of one complete board

blah blah
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 20:28:53 Reply

At 7/14/14 07:31 PM, Tykwa wrote: I think a flash-based audio portal would be a good idea, Like a totally interactive experience with expandable icons and live uploads(or stream) with all the tools in a reasonably sized expandable square including simple information and a mini player (much like the old style) and DL link. all on the front page for each song, using a pop-up style info panel or something similiar for expanded information of the song and maybe a little page link to review and rate, much like an integration of the current style but totally doing away with the unattractive main audio page.

replace flash with html5 and i'm all about this :)

And then there's an idea to kind of completely segregate the portals themselves, wrapping up the forum up into the portal itself instead of one complete board

this worked pretty neatly on sites like 8bc and sectionz before they tanked, and i've seen it work really well on other sites with smaller user bases. i imagine this as each portal running kinda like battleofthebits.org, but probably with a more compact and less intentionally confusing UI.

the main problem with this (and the other thing too i guess) is that it'd require another complete overhaul of NG, which i don't think a lot of long term users or staff are ready for. but it sounds cool in my head at least!

p.s. i am gay

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 21:25:16 Reply

At 7/14/14 07:21 PM, midimachine wrote: nobody said anything like that, and it certainly wasn't used as a grounds for closing.

Can we FINALLY get some sort of conversation going and stop getting our threads locked whenever subject are brought along?
i don't know if you've noticed, but you're posting in it right now. this thread was made so mods and staff could easily find audio portal suggestions, and they pay closer attention to this thread than any of the others as long as people are actually using it.

This this this and this. The staff watches this thread and we direct them here from time to time.

The vote before review thing is a bust and staff have said so themselves. It would do nothing but lessen audio portal activity.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 21:40:57 Reply

At 7/14/14 05:46 PM, camoshark wrote: I absolutely despise the fact that whenever we produce threads about a specific feature on the website, it gets locked, and we then get redirected to this thread. Not only does it hinder open conversations, but it really helps to give off the impression that our opinions are shifted under the carpet.

We are getting tired that common complaints that have been issued for the past 5+ years have yet to see ANY progress, and scoffing at it and saying that "we ought to shut our mouths are be happy that we even HAVE a portal" is beyond insulting. If something has been talked to death, maybe the issue ought to be addressed.

Agree with that. But meanwhile i have accepted that there wont be any progress. I think that the audio guys are just not important enough for this site. I really love NG. But i cant see that anyone is willing to change those issues. You also have to be aware that there are a lot of great and talented musicians and pros who are detained by exactly those aspects. I know very (!) good composers who would submit here but decided not to do so especially because of the destructive voting system. Finally they get lost for this site and submit only on other portals (there have been times where i also thought about doing this in the past). If that is not a problem for NG then its ok and there is also no need to change anything. But its unfortunate. It would also be great to hear other ideas to solve these (always the same being) audio problems - destructive voting system / download / favourit counter and all the other things which have been mentioned before. Any changes would be appreciated. What counts is that anyone shows the willingness to change something and take care of the audio artists interests. Before that happens the same themes will be brought to the forums again and again.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-14 23:13:47 Reply

There are those of us (like myself) that just stopped caring about "scores" a LONG time ago...

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-15 00:23:12 Reply

At 7/14/14 11:13 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: There are those of us (like myself) that just stopped caring about "scores" a LONG time ago...

BD, I don't know if you read my post in the other thread dude, but I definitely said I don't care about scores... the reason I don't care about them is because they are messed up, which is the problem we are attempting to solve.

With all respect dude, essentially it is as if you are saying "you should not care about voting because it is broken to the point that it is impossible to be of any use to anyone."

I think I speak for many others when I say that just because we ignore the broken system, doesn't mean we should sit around and let it remain broken. I doubt people in a nuclear power plant say "oh, that valve readout showing when a meltdown is imminent is broken, so just ignore it." :P

We have to do something about voting because if we let it keep going on like this forever, it will remain a constant and continuous source for loss of "noobs" who haven't learned to ignore the system. I bet I could even trace the reason why most of the famous "old guard" left NG to the ill effects of zero bombing. This is an issue those of us who have not been here forever have inherited from those who came before us, and it's our job to put a stop to the slow damage it is bringing this community. It is wearisome to forever know that there are several assholes out there lurking and trying to destroy us simply because they are jealous and lack the maturity to be nice and ask for advice and critique.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me
Orchestral Composer, Sample Library Developer

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-15 01:33:50 Reply

The vote before review thing is a bust and staff have said so themselves. It would do nothing but lessen audio portal activity.

I would initially associate with this concern, but after further reflection, I don't think that is the case and I will attempt to prove why.

First off, here's a site I like called VST4Free, specifically displaying an instrument. The particular rating screen works so that the individual writes a review of the free plugin and is allowed to either rate it or leave it without a rating. This website is one of the most popular and successful free VST websites, and it's a place I always look for feedback on my VSTi creations because I know the people who post there will post what they think and not hold back!

[Now, there is a validation process which would be too extensive for use on NG, but that more or less just makes sure you aren't making more than one review of something, which is already a feature of the NG review section. The other thing they do is allow anyone to review/post. That is not necessary either for NG.]

I believe the opinion that it would slow down portal activity is a myth. It's important to note the psychological reasons it is perceived that not being allowed to vote on a piece may draw less views. I have a feeling many people feel that the loss of the ability to freely and openly vote on objects is a loss of free speech, or, in simpler terms, they suffer from loss aversion, feeling that the losses of no longer being able to vote every day outweigh the gains of a more structured and vibrant community.

Paradoxically, free speech is the very reason that this change will not reduce numbers, but more likely increase numbers. The reason is that Newgrounders are stubbornly, sometimes violently vocal people. Just look in general or the reviews section for any popular game or movie and you'll see what i mean (or in the comments to Tom's news posts for the website). Newgrounders don't CARE about votes at heart already- what they care about is getting to be the guy who gets to tell the person what they did right or wrong and why. They want to build a reputation as a person in the community who is either an asshole or a hero, and the way they do that is by commenting/reviewing. You see this in the announcements- people openly converse with Tom, share jokes, ideas, suggestions, etc. We have contests, "kings" and "titans" of genres and portals, role models, trolls, the whole nine yards. Everyone's been moaning and complaining about how NGAP activity is going down, and here's one big fat obvious reason... What we don't have is a big open bridge to let people see the good that we offer, those contests and collabs and great composers. The only way to even be known now is to get a lot of fans who can vote 5's on all your songs because they like you. Even quality reviews are less common, due to the disappearance of the RRC among other things.

Let's think about numbers here. Every one of my pieces gets between 2-10 reviews for a mediocre piece. I would estimate that if people were required to write a comment in order to rate a track, that amount would increase by at least two fold. Why? Well, let's look at flash games and movies- they're much more popular, so they don't suffer from zero bombing because the amount of natural balance is too great. But, they do suffer from polarizing reviews sometimes. In that we can see the future of the audio portal under a review-based voting system. People who don't like your music, can openly and freely say that your music sucks, just like how people who don't like your game will often freely and openly give you a review with zero or one point and say "this game sucks" or "wow, he got stuck after walking one block" or maybe even something more constructive than that. People can still be assholes (or just really hard critics) if they still want, but this gets rid of people who work the system to their advantage. If anything, this will increase the honesty and constructiveness of reviews.

You could even have a compromise, by basing scores more heavily on reviews, something suggested before, preferably 90% reviews to 10% normal votes, but even if it's only 75% reviews 25% the current system. This would take less to code and would probably do more good for the audio portal in less time than anything else I can think of.

I am as much inspired by loss aversion to fix this issue as those who hold on to the current system are to hold on to it- I don't want to one day wake up and want to delete my account here, dissatisfied like dozens before me that my hard work continues to be put down by a bunch of jealous cowards and a broken system. I have spent four years openly putting over 150 tracks on this website, writing more than that in constructive reviews, and a crapload of forum posts. I have received guidance and critique from my heroes and role models, and later granted the honor of collaborating with them. I have done music for games made by Newgrounders, worked with artists and programmers and designers, and enjoyed receiving hundreds of reviews on my pieces and my collaborations. I love this website, and the message of free speech and openness it represents, but this is the one arrow in the knee that keeps the audio portal from getting anywhere. I will not idly watch this community slowly die out to a bunch of party poopers and a slew of other issues because people all over refuse to even entertain solutions.

I will gladly put together whatever people need to get it through there heads we need to do something- a petition, a plan, even finding a programmer who can build it for NG and paying him! I'll gather evidence and research the solution until there is not a person who doubts if I must. This issue has been bouncing back and forth since before I even started writing music and it's sure as hell time someone did something about it without getting bored or pissing off. XD

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-15 02:28:46 Reply

At 7/14/14 05:46 PM, camoshark wrote:
Can we FINALLY get some sort of conversation going and stop getting our threads locked whenever subject are brought along?

/rant

uhhh, you know that is what this thread is for right?

I send this thread to Tom once or twice a month. By the way, most of the "new" ideas have already been said anyways.

lel

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-15 09:15:55 Reply

At 7/15/14 02:28 AM, Sequenced wrote:
uhhh, you know that is what this thread is for right?

I send this thread to Tom once or twice a month. By the way, most of the "new" ideas have already been said anyways.

Thank you for yourself saying what was already said. How about we start talking about ideas constructively. :P

What are peoples' thoughts on incentivizing reviews in something like a 90% to 10% weight of review ratings to normal ratings or some other incentive scheme? I saw someone mention something like this in the other thread.

BBS Signature
Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-15 11:51:46 Reply

I would rather opt for a simple thumb up/down system than the current voting system or the review+rate system imo, In the current state of the internet it's a more simplistic and seems to offer more of a representation of a song's status than scores give of, also offering the amount of "votes" into one mechanism, although this seems unattractive i'm sure most of the votes made with the current system are purely based upon what the user wants to push the current score towards instead of giving the actual score they believe is fair, also I think this would remove the score inflation (Im mean shit, almost all my songs are 4.0+ and they are shit bro) I think self-voting should be removed for your own songs also, I'm not one to really care about votes but it is still a mechanic that shouldn't be looked past as other than reviews which usually can either be a much greater influence to the author or downright insulting (simple or bad reviews, lacking crit), Maybe also offering a compilation of review scores as a "critic score" that weighs in on the actual score (This will give the current voting system more importance than the suggested thumb system, offering more flexibility), I'm a little saddened review scores currently don't reflect the score of a song, and I think there should be :)

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-16 03:43:55 Reply

how many of the requests in this thread have actually been fullfilled?

LunyAlex
LunyAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-16 05:03:35 Reply

At 7/15/14 11:51 AM, Tykwa wrote: I would rather opt for a simple thumb up/down system than the current voting system or the review+rate system imo, In the current state of the internet it's a more simplistic and seems to offer more of a representation of a song's status than scores give of, also offering the amount of "votes" into one mechanism, although this seems unattractive i'm sure most of the votes made with the current system are purely based upon what the user wants to push the current score towards instead of giving the actual score they believe is fair, also I think this would remove the score inflation (Im mean shit, almost all my songs are 4.0+ and they are shit bro) I think self-voting should be removed for your own songs also, I'm not one to really care about votes but it is still a mechanic that shouldn't be looked past as other than reviews which usually can either be a much greater influence to the author or downright insulting (simple or bad reviews, lacking crit), Maybe also offering a compilation of review scores as a "critic score" that weighs in on the actual score (This will give the current voting system more importance than the suggested thumb system, offering more flexibility), I'm a little saddened review scores currently don't reflect the score of a song, and I think there should be :)

I like the Critic Score idea. Very much so. Incentivize quality reviews and quality interaction.

I don't like the Upvote / Downvote idea.
You're very right that a group of Extremely Arrogant people love to vote attempting to "equalize" your score to what they think it should be, instead of just adding their opinion to the bunch.

But I think a Downvote button could end up giving even more way to senseless negative votes.

Psychologically, giving a "0" is way more radical than giving a downvote.
A 0 generally implies that you'e an asshole. Even the 0bomber knows this.
A downvote? "Eh. The song didn't click with me".

I think good songs would end up having even more depressing votes as a result of that.
I might be wrong.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-16 11:43:33 Reply

At 7/16/14 05:03 AM, LunyAlex wrote:
At 7/15/14 11:51 AM, Tykwa wrote: stuff
I like the Critic Score idea. Very much so. Incentivize quality reviews and quality interaction.

I don't like the Upvote / Downvote idea.
You're very right that a group of Extremely Arrogant people love to vote attempting to "equalize" your score to what they think it should be, instead of just adding their opinion to the bunch.

But I think a Downvote button could end up giving even more way to senseless negative votes.

I think having an Upvote only is good enough. Giving them more common negative options in this case can hurt more than help.

I don't really like finger pointing. I had started an experiment with some of these arrogant dicks on the Audio Skype chat to test out their true nature. That was a reason why my rating is below the threshold. They are backstabbing and will attack you mercilessly because they think what your scores should be.

Psychologically, giving a "0" is way more radical than giving a downvote.
A 0 generally implies that you'e an asshole. Even the 0bomber knows this.
A downvote? "Eh. The song didn't click with me".

I don't think the bombers care much about a 0 or any other vote. It's just a tool for them to deliver the blows. Some people care more about ranking than other.

I think good songs would end up having even more depressing votes as a result of that.
I might be wrong.

I talked to this guy on the chat. He's an old member of Audio Portal and very popular. This guy said that without downvoting other people and selfvoting, he would have never been this successful. I don't know whether this shit is true or not. Probably we're all too stupid to do this. Probably I have a huge moral compass blocking my face so that I can't do all these backstage bullshits.

My point is, no matter what system you want to implement, there will be deceiving assholes who are waiting to exploit it.

Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-16 14:50:22 Reply

At 7/16/14 11:43 AM, KatMaestro wrote: I think having an Upvote only is good enough.

I really like this idea, It would remove the possibility and all the butthurt about zerobombing altogether, Having the whole system based on an actual score is just asking to be abused by jealous folk or those who think they have to do it to get a one-up on everyone else, I'm not sure if everyone thinks the portal is a game for scoring but all i'm here is too improve on my work and having just a 1+ system along with reviews, and DL count with views gives me all the information i need without all the extra worry about the score, I mean, Why do we even have everything based on scores? We don't need scores to know what is popular, just the views alone will convey this information along for rankings, without the scoring, But that is my idea of what is good, and people just need a score, even though how skewed and wrong it actually might is it's just not enough.

I don't really like finger pointing. I had started an experiment with some of these arrogant dicks on the Audio Skype chat to test out their true nature. That was a reason why my rating is below the threshold. They are backstabbing and will attack you mercilessly because they think what your scores should be.

I've tried to collab with other authors on this site many times and even though how openly I am to working on a project and trying to discuss the state of the project 100% of the time the other person gets downright rude and un-helpful with our two different understandings of whichever DAW. And this. and i'm sure we have all noticed the stupid fleeting haste of zerobombing on your own songs out of "nowhere one day" just because someone wanted to throw in modulation on the pattern and someone who wanted to modulate on the playlist and one think's the other is wrong or just can't come to terms on the two different persons styles, We should be here to help and learn from one another, not fight against ourselves trying to convince one persons style is completely wrong...

I don't think the bombers care much about a 0 or any other vote. It's just a tool for them to deliver the blows. Some people care more about ranking than other.

Indeed, It is just a tool, The more we discuss about scores all I can think about them is a pure negative vibe for everyone.

I might be wrong.

I think if we took scores out altogether and just relied on views and downloads to decide what really is good and not, with reviews purely being the only way to vote, with it obviously having either the same star system now, or maybe implementing the critic score thing i talked about earlier would increase the overall control of the system, You can rate a review helpful or not but you can't put a face on a vote and i think this should also factor in the weight of a review.

I talked to this guy on the chat. He's an old member of Audio Portal and very popular. This guy said that without downvoting other people and selfvoting, he would have never been this successful. I don't know whether this shit is true or not. Probably we're all too stupid to do this. Probably I have a huge moral compass blocking my face so that I can't do all these backstage bullshits.

I don't think Newgrounds offers the publicity that it used too towards the rest of the internet, We are all just fighting one another, Almost everyone that really wants to get popular goes straight to youtube because it simply just gets more views, And added to that there are a few other sites you can throw your music on, If you get someone to listen to your song that is unfamiliar with NG, I don't think the first thing they are going to think about is what score it has, Because all the critic they could give has to happen from listening with their ears, not what they see what other people think, And if it does work that way, Well shit they can go fuck themselves, That's just reading a book by it's cover, There needs to be more weight on reviews, As I said before there is no face behind a vote, there is little behind a crappy review, and there can be ALOT behind a helpful, good review, And yes, everyone has there own opinion on what should be done about their songs, But it's the musicians job to either mold to the crowd, or use this information to better his own style, We shouldn't be trying to do what everyone else does regardless what sounds right to other people, it's what sounds right to you, And some of us seek a little help and critic that maybe we can't really hear. a vote or score will never give us this kind of feedback because we all know that it is just plain broken. But having someone listen to some of my tracks that I carry around on my USB and giving me real feedback from a personal standpoint, Or sharing songs on a personal level in similiar ways, Has always, always helped me out more than NG ever has. Downvoting other people just to make yourself successful seems a little pointless on this site, the scores are already inflated it's hard not to look good.

My point is, no matter what system you want to implement, there will be deceiving assholes who are waiting to exploit it.

Maybe the best system would be to start taking away these tools that can be used to exploit against us, This isn't meant to sound like I'm butthurt about the scores, But we all know the scores is what gets your rankings up, no?, I think we need something else as a basis for the rankings, If something is bad, people just aren't going to listen to it, Let's make this stuff simple and think of something you can't loophole around...

If a song is bad, then people are just not going to listen to it, We implemented a small mechanism to dissallow voting until the flash loading all the way on the other portals, Why not get creative for the audio portal?, If someone doesn't like a song, they will simply back the page up would they not?, Now with the system we have now, That person will 0 bomb, Maybe leave a review, woopidoo you know?. How about mixing together something like "partial listens" say 1/4 of a song would simply boost that song "x", if someone listens to it all the way or about 90% then it must have been pretty good yeah? so how about give it a full "x", Even going of listens alone doesn't work, because when you click on the link it automatically assumes you listened to it right?, So it's broken, What isn't broken is the DL link (BTW don't get me started on the issue we had on people someone loopholing the DL's just ignore that for now), DL's happen when someone downloads the song, And someone in more than likely not going to download something that isn't either good or popular (think nichey,memey) I think this should almost give as strong as weight as a 90% listen, towards the songs "ranking", Throwing scores out the window this gives us a completely non-BS system that will go of purely of how "good, and popular" the song becomes and is.

This does bring up of the issue of what if the song is a loop?, Or a 7-minute mashup? Well I think they should be seperated and not mixed together, loops are made as loops, songs are made as songs...

An epic 3 minute song, Will be just as good as a 7 minute epic song, But given this system, the 7 minute song would technically have twice the "ranking" of the 3 minute song?, No, It won't, Any user who listens to a whole song will give "x" towards ranking. But I think we can all agree here, It would be broke because not even half of us listen to a whole song before judging it in the first place, But anyways, This is why this thread exists.

So basically, Total DL's is really the only variable we have, which isn't bad because it works pretty damn solid, and out of all the different factors that come into play that even I don't understand, I think a simple DL/per week/month/year would do amazing justice to the ranking system.

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-16 19:21:24 Reply

At 7/30/12 06:43 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: I think our patience will be well worth it.

Decided to find an answer to my question myself so i went through this thread and stumbled upon this gem from 2012.

Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-16 19:53:20 Reply

At 7/16/14 07:21 PM, TheAudioGuy wrote:
At 7/30/12 06:43 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: I think our patience will be well worth it.
Decided to find an answer to my question myself so i went through this thread and stumbled upon this gem from 2012.

You're not going to have anything answered until we figure out a good alternative to the current system, obviously if anything back in 2012 or 2013 was solid enough it would have happened by now, Just because it doesn't happen doesn't mean that it won't, It just means there hasn't been a good enough replacement for anything to happen yet, Stumbling back in here for another plus one crack shot just makes us look bad, If we want change well we better figure out ourselves a damn nice system that serves as a damn good rock-solid change for the portal, This stuff is getting outdated fast, the expanding categories are getting clunky more and more and the longer I look at the thing the more disorganised and incorrect it reflects everyones music, I want a cool, simple, very fluid and fast "HTML5" engine to run this bad boy and people just keep on whining about scores, We can fix that shit but nothings going to happen when half the forum is running around doing +1's making 3 word posts that don't see a bit of discipline, Let's get constructive and brainstorm some of this shit around before tom decides to abandon this whole forum, We are a community we can think of some badass shit can we not?

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 02:53:58 Reply

At 7/16/14 11:43 AM, KatMaestro wrote:

I know a couple people that have done this. They don't post here anymore though.

lel

BBS Signature
TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 04:09:34 Reply

At 7/16/14 07:53 PM, Tykwa wrote:

You're not going to have anything answered until we figure out a good alternative to the current system, obviously if anything back in 2012 or 2013 was solid enough it would have happened by now, Just because it doesn't happen doesn't mean that it won't, It just means there hasn't been a good enough replacement for anything to happen yet,

Here's what i'm seeing -
The suggestions have been rolling in to this thread for 2 years
Over these 2 years, Newgrounds doesn't appear to have considered any of the suggestions whatsoever
And then there's you, fully convinced that this is because all 9 pages of previous suggestions were dumb
And then there's me, wondering why people still believe that changes are going to be made by using this thread

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 04:21:31 Reply

At 7/17/14 04:09 AM, TheAudioGuy wrote: And then there's you, fully convinced that this is because all 9 pages of previous suggestions were dumb

this isn't actually far from the truth lmao

p.s. i am gay

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 04:22:55 Reply

At 7/17/14 04:09 AM, TheAudioGuy wrote:
And then there's me, wondering why people still believe that changes are going to be made by using this thread

dude. you have only been here for a year. chill out

also, i'd rather have 9 pages of this thread than people spamming suggestions on the audio forum.

your negativity is a huge buzzkill

lel

BBS Signature
Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 04:54:19 Reply

Because something is damn well going to happen soon and not just the audio portal, There is a serious disease of crap post on these forums, There is no personal input to be had for miles on almost any thread or forum, It's like they have purposely been set up for the last month to offer a magic shield of shit post city, There is little drive at all for anything anymore, Your little 2 cent opinion adds up really damn slow over the times and that's probably why we don't see any progression in this site, If people would take a little more time and think about the stuff we post about and actually care about this place other than just one more post count, Which I don't give a flying fuck about, This place is so deep in crap community wise it's downright depressing reading 90% of the user bases posts, Nobody has any sense of pride in there posts, Doesn't anyone realize posting a three word reply isn't doing a damn thing for anyone? Learn to throw something in that you had to freaking think about, Quote other peoples posts and critic the weak points, We can't improve on a hundred ideas all day long, We have to reach a damn conclusion, And i'll be damned if I'm the only son-of-a-bitch with enough pissed-off drive to throw this whole site a curveball that will finally get it past this old-ass hashed out 5 year design, The internet is just plain as balls anymore, I love this damn site but the community sucks so damn hard, We need futuristic shit here that other big main company sites are going to copy us from, The userbase is going downhill fighting each other for points and posts and it's apparent half of you are depressed and stupid from it, The design of the portals and forum are just stuck because they simply can't fight there selves unless for some stupid reason we started making crap music the top ranking stuff and make a bunch of stupid threads that are pointless as all the damn posts.

You want this site to host your music,games,art, and movies? You want this site to be here in 5 years with actual threads with posts you can kind of sit and read each one and get a feel for every ones style of thinking? or do you just want the same hole we are in but all the numbers are twice as big?

Now come on and talk some real talk and post some real post, I hate all this half-assing bullcrap that gets us nowhere and runs us in circles all day long.

Now i'm going to do some easy stuff so you guys know what some real improvements could be, Which could have easily been brought up before but nobody gives more than 2 cents..

#1 The collabinator fix

Currently this thing is working and broken at the same time, Some of us just want to have collab with music and music only and vice versa for everything else, This is something that could be done easy (I think), Just eliminate everything that doesn't equal what you need a offer more boxes, so selecting "musician" and "musician" and i add "FL" to my filter and here comes just only musicians looking for musicians with the tag FL, There, it's that simple, A good, easy suggestion for one musician simply looking for another, and he can put in all the info of the style and genre and tempo and program and DAW and synths and all that in the description, This eliminates getting too many results that aren't totally accurate, Of course the collabinator isn't popular so this isnt a huge issue, But holy shit I just thought I could fix something and I did that isn't some sort of badass HTML5 miracle.

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:11:24 Reply

At 7/17/14 04:22 AM, Sequenced wrote:

also, i'd rather have 9 pages of this thread than people spamming suggestions on the audio forum.

Sorry if i'm being negative, but i'm just pointing out what's going here because people are still coming in here with their complaints and nothing is changing.

SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:16:45 Reply

There are a few aspects which should be kept in mind:

- The voting system in general here IS destructive. For movie and game guys its not that hard because their submissions are clicked far more often. So if something is good it really has got the chance to be successful. Also you earn exp by voting on movies and games while you wont get any for audio. Thats why a lot of people favourit music pieces and also download it but never would give you any votes - which makes me a little bit sad.

- when done consequently a track can be pulled down that hard that it wont stay in the audio portal if i remember correctly. So e.g. a group of idiots can block out new artists. I would not be surprised if i would find out that there were a few artists in special genres who push eachother and vote out other competitors consequently and frequently in their styles - highlander style: There can be only one... us

- its also funny that really shitty tracks are quite ignored. The better a track is the higher the chance of getting zerobombed by enviers. Especially if you are featured on the main site its not good for your piece in most cases. Often this means: Your track - no matter how good it is - will end up between 2.5 and 3.5. Even i also dont care for the scores in general because they are mostly the result of the useless opinion of incopmpetent and talent-free kiddies you wont get reviews on your piece anymore and even your best pieces will stop at 300 - 500 views until nobody will ever listen to it again. And thats one of the main points which annoy me here. I e.g. disclaimed to sell a piece on audiojungle or elswhere for better conditions (exclusive author) and had not any use by doing this. Thats why i sometimes decide not to upload my stronger pieces here because everything i will get are zero stars any 24 again and again for a few days until the piece is dead..

- since the feed star has been removed i feel totally uninormed whats going on in my favourite artists blogs and submissions. A lot of people i have no idea who they are added me as a friend in the past and i saw no reason to refuse this requests - the friend option seemed quite useless to me besides the fact you could see if a special user is online right now or not. Meanwhile when i try to see what they composed i only see submissions by "friends" and dont find my favourites new pieces anymore which means for them: Even less views and positive votes since this site change was done. I am also sure if i would submit something new now i would become less reviews and upvotes aswell because my fans would not notice it. Will be interesting to find out how this will be going.

BBS Signature
Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:22:17 Reply

At 7/17/14 05:11 AM, TheAudioGuy wrote:
At 7/17/14 04:22 AM, Sequenced wrote:

Sorry if i'm being negative, but i'm just pointing out what's going here because people are still coming in here with their complaints and nothing is changing.

This thread is for improvements, not complaints, Which is probably why nothing is changing, because nobody is suggesting an improvement but instead crying on the damn street corner about there complaints, If you couldn't tell the name of the thread is asking us to come up with ways to improve the audio portal, not asking us to sound like little spoiled babies hoping someone smart enough will just magically fix them, NO we don't need someone to point what's going on here, I'm pretty sure we can damn sure enough read the thread ourselves, We don't need you offering absolutely nothing to this thread, You are not in a position to tell people what you think is going on here, You are expected to follow what the thread expects from you, You are not a traffic controller, You do not put that "Sorry IF" You ARE being negative, You ARE not being helpful, So how about being a little more suggestive and help everyone else out a little, Instead of pointing fingers at shit you're not supposed to, If you don't have any ideas to give to this thread, Then you can take your sorry useless ass out of this thread and stop pointing shit at us, And i'll gladly take my words back if you change your depressive and useless comments into "ways to improve the audio portal"

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:39:46 Reply

At 7/17/14 05:22 AM, Tykwa wrote:
This thread is for improvements, not complaints, Which is probably why nothing is changing, because nobody is suggesting an improvement but instead crying on the damn street corner about there complaints, If you couldn't tell the name of the thread is asking us to come up with ways to improve the audio portal, not asking us to sound like little spoiled babies hoping someone smart enough will just magically fix them, NO we don't need someone to point what's going on here, I'm pretty sure we can damn sure enough read the thread ourselves, We don't need you offering absolutely nothing to this thread, You are not in a position to tell people what you think is going on here, You are expected to follow what the thread expects from you, You are not a traffic controller, You do not put that "Sorry IF" You ARE being negative, You ARE not being helpful, So how about being a little more suggestive and help everyone else out a little, Instead of pointing fingers at shit you're not supposed to, If you don't have any ideas to give to this thread, Then you can take your sorry useless ass out of this thread and stop pointing shit at us, And i'll gladly take my words back if you change your depressive and useless comments into "ways to improve the audio portal"

Don't tell me that everyone isn't offering improvement ideas and is just complaining, scroll up will you mate.

And this is not what i think is going on here, this is what i am seeing here. And everyone doesn't seem to be taking notice of it. If you want change, you're not going to get it by tossing your idea in this thread.

Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:39:53 Reply

What does everyone think about a system that allows our songs to gain AP (Audio Points)

:)

A download would be 5 AP
A 0 - 5 vote would be 0 to 5 AP
A review of 0 - 5 stars would be 0 to 10 AP*
A favorite would be 1 AP
A view would be 1 AP

The current ranking system would be removed/changed/transitioned
The songs with the most AP's would be the highest ranking.
*Reviews must be 50 characters long

There I fixed the system, someone put this in already so everyone can go home.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:49:10 Reply

At 7/17/14 05:39 AM, TheAudioGuy wrote:
And this is not what i think is going on here, this is what i am seeing here. And everyone doesn't seem to be taking notice of it. If you want change, you're not going to get it by tossing your idea in this thread.

summoning @TomFulp here

you must understand that whenever an actual good idea comes up in here I will send it over to him right ?

lel

BBS Signature
Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 05:49:57 Reply

At 7/17/14 05:39 AM, TheAudioGuy wrote:
If you want change, you're not going to get it by tossing your idea in this thread.

If you want to be such a smart ass how about you read some of my past advice and tell me exactly how you feel what will get us change, You want to be a know it all, Then I want to know how you're going to change the audio portal, One foot isn't good enough for an argument, buddy, If you can't plant both your feet down you might as well get back to swimming my friend tossing my ideas around in this thread is a hell of a lot better than listening to you whine like a little bitch about how nothing is ever going to change, Get the fuck out of this thread, You are helping nobody, Having not a single fucking thought about any of this, You are a hopeless little piece of shit and I'm tired of seeing you be a bitch about it, Grow some fucking balls or get the fuck out, You think they are going to read this shit an hour from now and by the end of the day have these magic ideas in the system?, Well fuck now, If you think it even remotely works like that you have to be the dumbest piece of trash in here, They already have a redesign in the works, NG doesn't trickle out little updates like fucking Call of Duty map packs alright, They do an entire redesign, And as someone has told you before you've only been here for a year, And it's best to be looking up when your dick's still short on the forums than looking down my son, trust me that.

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 06:01:46 Reply

At 7/17/14 05:49 AM, Sequenced wrote:
summoning @TomFulp here

you must understand that whenever an actual good idea comes up in here I will send it over to him right ?

Sounds like a nice plan. If you've been doing that for the past 2 years then either tom thinks the audio portal is gorgeous the way it is or that other guy wasn't joking when he said all our ideas are terrible.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2014-07-17 06:24:59 Reply

At 7/17/14 06:01 AM, TheAudioGuy wrote:
At 7/17/14 05:49 AM, Sequenced wrote:
summoning @TomFulp here

Sounds like a nice plan. If you've been doing that for the past 2 years then either tom thinks the audio portal is gorgeous the way it is or that other guy wasn't joking when he said all our ideas are terrible.

most of the ideas have already been thrown out the window. I've talked to him during pico day as well and they don't have enough resources to continuously updating the audio portal. Trust me, they value it as much as the flash portal, but there is more demand for flash than the AP.

sorry bud, that's just the way things are.

lel

BBS Signature