00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

108,972 Views | 625 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-30 10:17:54

Make the Read the Rules button seizure flashy for a new user until they click it (cookie-tracked or something).

I know that some people just don't read them, but at least then there might be an incentive.

And more genres, yes, please :)

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-30 10:57:30

1) I would say a better best of the week just like the old design.
2) also a delet button is needed
3) a shop in whitch u can sell your albums can also be a really good idea.
4) notification if somebody reviews your song

number 5 would be stopping zerobombing but that's really hard to stop that so if there are any sugestions about fixing that??

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-30 12:56:09

At 7/30/12 10:17 AM, Tydusis wrote: Make the Read the Rules button seizure flashy for a new user until they click it (cookie-tracked or something).

hahahaha I would love that.... Though I would lose my beloved banned user threads in the forums. It's funny because they all get banned for the same reason! ......maybe that button is really needed.

At 7/30/12 10:57 AM, ForeverBound wrote: number 5 would be stopping zerobombing but that's really hard to stop that so if there are any sugestions about fixing that??

Just kill the nonbelievers. Burn the witches. Rid of the zerobombers in a satanic ritual.

At 7/30/12 06:43 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: I think our patience will be well worth it.

HA! You know they forgot about us............ :'( soooooo sad.......

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-16 06:37:37

At 1/16/13 06:24 AM, camoshark wrote: Angry slightly drunk rant at 6:30 AM

HERE in response to this thread.

It's quite alright. People haven't been known to be at their best when intoxicated. Be that as it may, what you just ranted about was also talked about in the thread linked above. A core value of the audio portal is providing copyright-free music. That's not being archaic, it's sticking to a principle. Any music that you don't want to become CC, no one ever said you couldn't upload it to bandcamp, soundcloud, or one of dozens of similar sites.

If you wish to debate this further, feel free to PM me, or continue here.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-16 08:08:45

Coming over from the other thread,

I don't agree with being able to disable the download button in the audio portal at will. Music you post to the audio portal is CC, and you agree to that by uploading your song. Like previously mentioned, there are plenty of other platforms you could submit your music to and have much finer control over it, such as sound cloud, band camp, etc. Occasional HypeMachine will pick up your song and bring it more listeners. It feels like NG is the only place where there is a CC only audio portal, and I like that.

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study

Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-16 18:01:07

Sorry about the useless thread didn't know this was here anyway ...

What i am saying is i think producers will be encouraged more post music if there was a option to withhold the download. Now i know a lot of your saying about its ment to be copyright free music for people to use, but don't you think musician should have the ability to choose who gets to use there music and what projects there going to be involved in?

I honestly hold back posting the majority off my music on this site due to the fact i cant disable the download and i am sure a lot of other artists do exactly the same thing as me. Say i write a new track and i think it has potential for a big label to pick it up but i cant post it here because as soon i do most labels wont look at it twice even if its the best track they have heard.

Basically the end goal should be to encourage musicians to post more quality content on the site which in turn bring in more listeners and other artists wanting to use newgrounds for a platform for there music. I know audio rippers exists and work with any site however serving people the free download on silver platter sends a different message to having to rip the music from the site.

To me its a win win situation. Musicians are encouraged to post more quality content while still maintaining some level of control over there material and flash animators and game dev's have better content to work with. I mean how hard is it too PM the musician and ask for permission to use there content.

Here is what i would do to fix the voting system

For starters the problem is not the actual voting its self, its the zero bombers and the fact they can bomb zeros all day anonymously and without consequence. I think some kind of name and shame system would work well.

Here is how it would work (i'll try explain it as best as i can)

You know how you get that status scroller on facebook that streams new posts as they come in? Well have something similar but just for what people are voting on. Think about it. If you see the same users name keep coming up voting 0's constantly your going to know there down voting everything. Not just that but the WHOLE community is going to see this guy zero bombing. Wonder how many users will be brave enough to go on a zero bombing spree when everyone on the portal can see there being a massive faggot and more importantly who will want to support someone that openly uses a cheap tactic such as zero bombing.

Example
"gavkay21 voted 0 on Track A by Dj Example"
"gavkay21 voted 0 on Track B by Dj Example"
"gavkay21 voted 0 on Track C by Dj Example"

Imagine being able to see these zero bombers out in the open. However a system like this would have a positive effect too. It will mean people browsing the portal will can see tracks that are getting high votes.

Another Example
"User1 voted 5 on Track A by Dj Example"
"User2 voted 4 on Track A by Dj Example"
"User3 voted 5 on Track A by Dj Example"

If you see that scrolling through your going to think "hey that must be something good i should have a listen!" then all you do is click one of the messages and it will directly link you to the song.

Just food for though.

Also bring back the weekly top 5

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-16 21:42:42

At 1/16/13 06:37 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: A core value of the audio portal is providing copyright-free music. That's not being archaic, it's sticking to a principle. Any music that you don't want to become CC, no one ever said you couldn't upload it to bandcamp, soundcloud, or one of dozens of similar sites.
At 1/16/13 06:01 PM, gavkay21 wrote: but don't you think musician should have the ability to choose who gets to use there music and what projects there going to :be involved in?

:: Basically the end goal should be to encourage musicians to post more quality content on the site which in turn bring in :more listeners and other artists wanting to use newgrounds for a platform for there music

You're saying what you feel the goal "should" be versus what it was meant to be. The audio portal does fine for what it was meant to be, and does well for aspiring artist. I appreciate how Newgrounds differentiates itself from other audio sites. Going the CC-only way enables collaboration between flash artists and musicians. That does a fairly good job of encouraging both musicians and flash artists. Many people watch and listen which brings in more inspired talent. Now, if the artist was able to choose who could use the music and who couldn't , while it would help from a quality-control aspect, it would undermine the freedom of a CC license.

Sure, your way could bring in more listeners, which might lead to more artists being inspired, but what does that achieve in the end? More listeners and more artists, rinse and repeat? In the mean time fewer people will use this as a CC portal and slowly this degenerates into a no-download portal. As mentioned before, for that purpose you have a plethora of choices such as: Bandcamp, soundcloud, and even places such as youtube.

Here is what i would do to fix the voting system

The ticker system is a great idea! A suggestion to improve on your idea would be people who want to vote Zero or Five have to leave a review as to why they disliked it enough to give it a zero, or loved it enough to give it a five. Initially people may think this will mean less ratings since people are too lazy to review, but it helps pan with legitimate reviews. Sadly, a lot of the audio community wants reviews, ratings, and views on their songs, but are not willing to listen to other peoples songs and leave review, ratings, and ultimately BE the viewer. As I go through a lot of profiles of other artists, I noticed a good amount had a very low song upload to review ratio.

To paraphrase:
I would much enjoy newgrounds staying with a fixed CC license , if a user was to give a song a zero or a five, being forced to review the song would give the artist better insight into why the song was rated with extremities, and not enough audio portal musicians are involved in the community.

Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-17 00:40:19

I only use the NGAP. It's dead.

If our Games & Movies brothers and sisters are suffering also then we're truly fucked.

If they're cruising then we need to leech off our family members until we get back on our feet.

If we could get say a top 10 weekly AND say a top 10 new releases on whatever page the most traffic frequents it can only help. Hell, boost user strength for voting on Audio. I mean, we vote flash to get higher rank so might as well make it universal to NG.

At least people who come to NG for games and movies will at least be tempted to check out some audio. Right now you have to WANT to go to audio.

Also, I like the idea of being able to stream through NG without download. Instead of uploading 40 second clips with links to bandcamp etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-17 02:07:47

At 1/16/13 09:42 PM, SonicJ wrote:

stuff ...

Glad you like my news ticker idea :) If whos voting on what is out in the open users will be less likely to do shady actions.

I honestly think disabling the download is the best option. You any idea how many people have used my tracks in there gaming videos and "forgot" to credit me for example?

All it takes is a simple PM to ask if they can use it and that way i have control over where it goes. Not to mention the fact a lot of unsavory people come to this site and steal music whether its to pretend a song is theirs or even worse sell the song in some Russian illegal download store. Try telling a site like about your CC license, i can guarantee you'll be swiftly told to fuck off.

My point about the better content = more listeners is this.

If you have more listeners coming to the audio portal is also means your getting more traffic to the site as well and more traffic is always a good thing.

And i totally get your point about newgrounds being one of the few CC License only audio outlets. But you can allow CC on tracks on soundcloud and DISABLE the download.

As soon as a musician gets to a certain level of skill there going to leave this site and move onto different ventures if there going to take their music a stage further. Why not encourage these popular artists to stay it means more skilled musicians will be on the forum to help newbies too.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-17 07:18:37

Right so here is the changes I agree with:

> Reinstate Old Medal Award system (silver/ gold records)
> Old audio page layout (-> broader and easier to find the good stuff) incl. Autoplay/ A-bot preview
> Song grouping flexibility (by albums/year/authorâEUTMs favs-featured/ colab partners / related flash series etc.)
> Show all stats for all songs in one place to trend/change in stats over time
> reward audio vote with XP
> Add WIP/Preview to Loop and Song filters
> More tags

*> Genres (we may need a separate thread for this, or even some sort of voting poll)

Here are the changes I agree with, but affect NG as a whole:

> show voting percentages (how may give 0-5 in votes)
> whistle/reporting fix

The zer0-bombing/ self-vote can be limited if a person can only vote once per submission. ie. not once a day, but once and that's it. this may work well if a person can change their vote at a later date. (both these ideas are not mine, I just agree with them).

I also agree with the news ticker idea. at least it will make the pages seem more alive ( you can see activity going on, not just names of who's online).

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-17 10:48:43

Increase the file size limit. It's one of the reasons I stopped using NG. And I finally decided I might come back to give it a shot, only to realise that all my new free material is too long to even be uploaded. Absolutely ridiculous. It's been years and they can't fit a track on here which is longer than like 6 minutes without reducing quality? Jeez.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-17 10:51:31

Also get rid of the new audio player. It's terrible and slows everything down. Sometimes causes tracks to glitch. I've been around on this website for a long time, as some people may know. I kinda miss the simplicity of it. What I've come back to I'm not really enjoying to be honest. I miss the vinyl thing we had on tracks too, with the gold and the platinum and all that. Yeah... :( Those were the days.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-17 11:03:19

At 1/17/13 10:48 AM, B34T1N wrote: Increase the file size limit. It's one of the reasons I stopped using NG. And I finally decided I might come back to give it a shot, only to realise that all my new free material is too long to even be uploaded. Absolutely ridiculous. It's been years and they can't fit a track on here which is longer than like 6 minutes without reducing quality? Jeez.

15 mb is alright with me dude.

as for your other post... all of us '06ers miss the simplicity.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-18 00:17:10

Old visualization would be a change for the better.
Been reading through some of the older posts and a portion of good ideas aren't limited to the AP, but change the whole NG. Things like more tags and infinite replies that just condense themselves.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-18 02:14:24

Also, people earlier in the thread posted on immature mods. I'm not too sure how valid this is (I've only recently gotten involved in the NG community). Would a solution to this be to give mods a rank of some sort. Kinda extend the whole NG soldier/army theme by having a hierarchy of mods or chain of command. That way they'll be encouraged to perform as there is a reward. Idk just a thought, or quick-fix for another prob not limited to the AP.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-20 05:47:07

At 1/17/13 11:03 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 1/17/13 10:48 AM, B34T1N wrote: Increase the file size limit. It's one of the reasons I stopped using NG. And I finally decided I might come back to give it a shot, only to realise that all my new free material is too long to even be uploaded. Absolutely ridiculous. It's been years and they can't fit a track on here which is longer than like 6 minutes without reducing quality? Jeez.

I think it's just a problem for people who are producing full length tracks, (hopefully) up to professional standard. A lot of tracks on NG I realise are straight into things and missing intros and outros and so on so on. Most of my material is too long to even fit on here unless I reduce the quality, which I don't really like doing if I'm giving it as a free download.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-20 07:27:12

At 1/20/13 05:47 AM, B34T1N wrote:
At 1/17/13 11:03 AM, Sequenced wrote:

I think it's just a problem for people who are producing full length tracks, (hopefully) up to professional standard. A lot of tracks on NG I realise are straight into things and missing intros and outros and so on so on. Most of my material is too long to even fit on here unless I reduce the quality, which I don't really like doing if I'm giving it as a free download.

On the other hand, you can upload a song over 10 minutes with a 192 kbit/s quality. And to be honest, in 90% of all songs, you won't hear the difference between 192 kbit/s or 256 kbit/s or FLAC. I know we all love to think that, but just try it out for yourself. Maybe in very high quality classical music with lots of dynamic range.

Most people who listen to your songs don't have expensive equipment and probably won't even hear the difference between 128 and 192 kbit/s.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-20 16:12:14

One more suggestion. I've noticed Games and Movies have a Classic Portal option. If we do revert back to the old layout, don't have a "Classic Portal" option. Make the old layout the default, with the "New portal" as an extra option.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-20 19:29:56

I agree with the Platinum/Gold awards.

Weird as it'll sound, I've been following NG since 2005 (although I only made an account in 2009).

Seeing Diamond/Gold/etc awards helped pick out what was decent to listen to and gave more incentive to audio artists. I suppose having these bits of recognition put into play would be more of an encouragement to people out there.

It would be more difficult to do that now that we can customize our CD covers, but just adding a colored star onto a record/near the title would suffice.

Furthermore, am I the only one who loses all of my tags when I go to edit a project? It's super annoying. I spend a lot of time on those. ;-;

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-21 00:09:06

I think my favorite idea's that have been expressed by other in this thread is the inclusion of more genres to put your work into, and the ability to get reminder's when someone either votes, downloads, or comments on a piece of music. It would be much easier to keep everything streamlined and easily accessible. It would also be much easier to interact with others since you don't have to go on a mad scavenger hunt though every song you've made to find if any of the content has been noticed by others. Right now its just too convoluted.

I'm just an amateur nineteen year old that likes to create music. Please check out my work and give it feedback so I can strengthen the songs that I create. Eye can't wait!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-21 09:55:13

Yeah, is it standard practice to have a strong piece be rated with like 2 stars? This system of rating seems a little wacked to me...(I know I'm a newbie, but that's my 2 cents....)

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-22 01:06:02

At 1/21/13 11:08 AM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 1/21/13 09:55 AM, JCoolAudio wrote: Yeah, is it standard practice to have a strong piece be rated with like 2 stars? This system of rating seems a little wacked to me...(I know I'm a newbie, but that's my 2 cents....)
Don't be sad, wait until you get below 1 when some butt-hurt a-holes rated you badly. I agree the rating system seems a bit wacky, your 2 cents are same as mine. I should keep my mouth shut before I get stomped by some anonymous haters again.

Have you people actually considered the fact that those low rating scores might be from actual, honest votes?

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-22 02:29:57

At 1/22/13 01:06 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
Have you people actually considered the fact that those low rating scores might be from actual, honest votes?

It can't be. I Took a listen to Jcool's stuff and it's defenitely worth more than two stars.
Another suggestion is display the song's score (out of 5 stars) next to it's name on the audio page as well as the artist's page. Just another idea on making it easier to find good stuff. (This may become null if we get the old layout back.)

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-22 11:15:18

At 1/22/13 02:29 AM, shieldurhope wrote:
It can't be. I Took a listen to Jcool's stuff and it's defenitely worth more than two stars.

Well, thanks for the defense, Shieldurhope! That's a little encouraging, anyways :)

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-22 13:23:25

About to fail at quoting, so forgive me!

At 1/22/13 02:29 AM, shieldurhope wrote:
[b]Another suggestion is display the song's score (out of 5 stars) next to it's name on the audio page as well as the artist's page.[/b] Just another idea on making it easier to find good stuff. (This may become null if we get the old layout back.)

The issue I see with this is that it conflicts with a common complaint: the scores aren't accurate. =X
One can imagine the minute (possibly negative) reactions to having scores become more important.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-24 22:31:14

The voting system isn't flawed. It can be improved, but we have to look at how it's used. A lot of users listen to a song and view it three ways. 5 Star "Amazing and in love with this track. It's going on my music player of choice", 3 Star "Eh, it was good. Can use improvements", and 1 star "I didn't like it". Then you have the people who vote to change the system to their favor, such as voting other peoples songs down to boost their own up. I'm only repeating what's been said before, even in this thread.

The rating and reviewing function work great together. When a reviewer uses them in a pair, then and only then can you without a doubt say a song "deserved" the score it received. The reviewing and rating process will always have a hint of subjectiveness and opinion! That said, text reviews are more solid in function and reasoning than a rating on it's own. You can receive feedback in the form of constructive criticism or more general feed back. Reviewing lets the audio publisher know what was going on when that user gave it a 1 ~ 5.

The review & ratings have the potential to be useful, it's just not used that way sadly.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-02-01 22:14:12

Wait, did I miss something? Why are our audio tags so severely limited right now?

Regardless of the reason, I find it extremely annoying I can't even use "Music Box" as a tag (darn spaces) and that there's a 4 word limit. At least make it...I don't know, 6 words.

Right now I got stuck with:

"Music Box Classical Lullaby"

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-02-01 22:20:20

People need to be less shy and hit up others for collabs more often. I've made a lot of friends through collabs on this website, but a lot of the time I just feel surprised when, IDK 50 people download a track, probably at least half of them are musicians, and noone wants to shoot the shit one audio geek to another.

But yeah, people just need to be less shy I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 03:22:57

This thread is going nowhere, same to others. We all like to talk, but could anything we said be done for once?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 03:50:23

- Old record medal system (gold, silver, etc)
- Get rid of the 1-5 score method. Only use "Like it" or "Hate it". Both require a review.
- Rid the unification of Score Power between the Audio and Flash Video per user. Audio power is separate from Flash Video scoring power. For example, to boost Audio Power, you'll have to do your daily 5 votes to add 10 points to your xp towards the next level. You can choose which power you want displayed via a control panel option. Like: Audiophile or Flash Watcher... or something similar.
- Able to delete a song regardless of votes/popularity.

That's all I can think of right now. Take it what it is.

Just lurking...