00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MssLibitina just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,072,614 Views | 77,367 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 01:37:24

At 7/9/10 01:28 AM, zer0gravity1 wrote: August Burns Red anyone?

metalcore, not metal, sorry. we don't discuss metalcore here, but they do discuss it in the metalcore/nu metal group.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 03:00:43

Systematic Chaos is great, I agree. After Awake, Images and Words and A Change of Seasons, it's my favourite DT album and definitely better than all the other stuff they put out in the 00's. Although the Count of Tuscany is pretty damn awesome.

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 08:26:11

At 7/8/10 01:02 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: I must be the only person who prefers When Dream and Day Unite.

You're in the minority for sure. Personally, I don't think When Dream and Day Unite is as good as most of their stuff. However, it's better than Falling Into Infinity!

At 7/8/10 04:28 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: Slayer did that with Seasons in the Abyss too. They put the title track at the end.

I overlooked that too but like I've said a few times before in the past, Seasons isn't as good as Reign in Blood IMO.

At 7/9/10 03:00 AM, PenisClown wrote: Although the Count of Tuscany is pretty damn awesome.

I have to say, it's one of the finest tracks ever made by Dream Theater.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 08:52:01

At 7/9/10 08:26 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 7/8/10 04:28 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: Slayer did that with Seasons in the Abyss too. They put the title track at the end.
I overlooked that too but like I've said a few times before in the past, Seasons isn't as good as Reign in Blood IMO.

Seasons is the only album I can still listen to and not get tired of it. I overplayed Reign in Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is my favorite Slayer song ever, too. War Ensemble is my favorite of their thrash songs as well. The album has nice pacing, I think.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 10:44:48

Hmmm.

At 7/9/10 08:52 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I overplayed Reign in Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is my favorite Slayer song ever, too.

It's mine too, but I still haven't got around to listening to the whole album.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 11:11:22

At 7/8/10 02:41 PM, Nev wrote: Ignore this like you'd ignore the plague!

It's the only album I've heard beside Octavarium which I got first :|

I'm not a huge fan of DT, I was just putting my opinion forward.

I prefer heavier prog like Gojira, Protest The Hero and Between The Buried And Me.

I love metal like crackheads love anal. and crack.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 11:29:15

At 7/8/10 10:51 PM, AniMetal wrote: My verdict: SC is by far the best DT album released after Metropolis Part 2.

Well yeah, but its not exactly saying much :P.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 16:26:52

My buddy just showed me some dope shit by this band Between the Buried and Me... Can't remember any of the songs ATM but they kinda blew me away a little.

Also, back in the day of vinyl albums, if an album didn't have sick artwork, people probably wouldn't buy it. Does this still apply to any of y'all?

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 16:46:00

At 7/9/10 04:26 PM, hypersomniax wrote: stuff.

Oh wow. Of course the band the I brought up was mentioned two posts ago. Now I feel dumb.

Useless post is useless... Backpedal, backpedal!

I'm judging by the fact that they were not brought up when home-slice asked about prog bands that you guys do not consider Tool to be prog metal... Would I be correct in that assumption?

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 16:48:20

At 7/9/10 01:05 AM, AniMetal wrote:
At 7/8/10 11:43 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Is this shit good or what?
Which album?

Oh sorry, Metropolis Part 2. But I'm not really asking you, cause you seem to believe it's their best. So maybe the other guys could give me their thoughts on it.

At 7/9/10 01:28 AM, zer0gravity1 wrote: August Burns Red anyone?

No

At 7/9/10 11:11 AM, ZpLiNtEh wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of DT, I was just putting my opinion forward.

I prefer heavier prog like Gojira, Protest The Hero and Between The Buried And Me.

I'm fucking confused on how you calculate heavyness... Cause the two core bands you listed as heavier than DT are absolutely not heavier. They are not heavier because they scream or hit downtuned chords.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 17:33:08

At 7/9/10 04:48 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Oh sorry, Metropolis Part 2. But I'm not really asking you, cause you seem to believe it's their best. So maybe the other guys could give me their thoughts on it.

It's up there. The big three albums are Images, Awake and Metropolis (and A Change of Seasons but thats an EP). You can't go wrong with any of those 4.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-09 17:53:06

dudes, the Melvins are coming to my town in september, but it's the same day I have to leave to go to college

obviously i am not meant for this world

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 00:53:21

Did you guys know that Nic Cage's son has a symphonic black metal band? It's true. They're called Eyes of Noctum, and I'm listening to their only album right now. It's called "Inceptum." So far it's generic but well-done, but I'm only two songs in.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 01:33:27

At 7/10/10 12:53 AM, D3NTATUS wrote: Did you guys know that Nic Cage's son has a symphonic black metal band? It's true. They're called Eyes of Noctum, and I'm listening to their only album right now. It's called "Inceptum." So far it's generic but well-done, but I'm only two songs in.

Holy crap. That's epic. Link pl0x.

Also, tonight, Metal For The Masses, I'm only going for Daysend, Switcblade and Mortal Sin. Profits go to charity, so it's for a good cause ^_^

Also, I used to talk to the drummer for Switchblade. Listened to a radio show he once did as well.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 01:37:12

At 7/10/10 01:33 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Also, I used to talk to the drummer for Switchblade. Listened to a radio show he once did as well.

Woops. Meant to say the vocalist.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 04:04:17

At 7/10/10 01:33 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote:
At 7/10/10 12:53 AM, D3NTATUS wrote: Did you guys know that Nic Cage's son has a symphonic black metal band? It's true. They're called Eyes of Noctum, and I'm listening to their only album right now. It's called "Inceptum." So far it's generic but well-done, but I'm only two songs in.
Holy crap. That's epic. Link pl0x.

I'll find the DL link later.

It's pretty generic and boring, even if it's well-recorded. It barely deserves the title of "black metal" because it's mostly a bunch of chugging, synths, and guttural vocals. Dude doesn't even do black metal vocals most of the time. Still worth a list, just to say you've heard it. As my friend said; "it's boring and inconsistent, just like Nic Cage."

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 10:53:32

At 7/9/10 04:46 PM, hypersomniax wrote: I'm judging by the fact that they were not brought up when home-slice asked about prog bands that you guys do not consider Tool to be prog metal... Would I be correct in that assumption?

I do, but I'm in fucking love with Tool, so kinda biased :3 I don't even care if anyone thinks they're not prog metal, there is without a doubt prog metal influences at least.

At 7/9/10 04:48 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm fucking confused on how you calculate heavyness... Cause the two core bands you listed as heavier than DT are absolutely not heavier. They are not heavier because they scream or hit downtuned chords.

They aren't core :| They just have core influences, come on.

Just because they have a few breakdowns thrown in here and there doesn't make them not prog..

In regards to the heavyness, I don't really know myself tbh, I feel like headbanging and moshing to PTH and BTBAM, but when I listen to DT I just feel like monging out and chillin. I don't consider them heavy, but that's probably because I'm no expert on prog music, I mostly listen to Death Metal, Deathcore and Metalcore, so I'm sort of tuned to heavier music.

Though I'm sure there are much heavier prog metal bands I haven't heard.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 11:17:16

At 7/9/10 08:52 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote:
At 7/9/10 08:26 AM, Bahamut wrote:
Seasons is the only album I can still listen to and not get tired of it. I overplayed Reign in Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is my favorite Slayer song ever, too.

Don't get me wrong, Seasons is still a good album but I feel Reign in Blood is very special. As for overplaying, I understand that issue, even though I'm rather OCD at times and don't get bored with any album I listen to no matter how times I've heard it. I mean, I still love Bohemian Rhapsody as much as the first time I heard it.

At 7/9/10 09:57 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: Is Metropolis Part 2 the only non-Kevin Moore album worth listening to?

I thought most of them were worth listening to.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 12:09:49

At 7/10/10 01:33 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Also, tonight, Metal For The Masses, I'm only going for Daysend, Switcblade and Mortal Sin. Profits go to charity, so it's for a good cause ^_^

Also, I used to talk to the drummer for Switchblade. Listened to a radio show he once did as well.

Such an awesome show. So many great bands that you should all check out (will list tomorrow). Finally seen a black metal band live, and I must say...lol.

Got Daysend's setlist, and 2 shirts plus a bunch of cool promo shit.

Oh and finally seeing Switchblade live again, along with my friend reminding me, made me remember that I was a year below the 2 guitarists. We went to the same school :D

Did I mention Daysend kicked ass? As did Switchblade. Mortal Sin played their whole first album start to finish which was also cool seeing as it was their 25th anniversary. Definitley check them out if you like old school thrash.

More tomorrow.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 12:35:14

At 7/8/10 10:51 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 7/8/10 01:18 PM, Dalnaki wrote: Vio-Lence is the better sounding one. Anyway, so it basically boils to you not being able to stomach production that isn't polished and sterile?
Seconded.

While their are some great modern metal bands and some not so great old metal bands, your examples didn't really prove your point.

I'm trying to prove any point or establish a fact, it's just about preference.

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 18:26:48

At 7/9/10 09:57 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: Is Metropolis Part 2 the only non-Kevin Moore album worth listening to?

EP but A Change of Seasons is definately worth listening to. The title track is just 24 minutes of fantastic.
I like Falling Into Infinity a lot more than most others seem to do too. Besides Six Degrees all the other albums have their moments but overall have too many uninspired CHUG CHUG "DEEP GROWL VOICE!" CHUG CHUG CHUG DIDDLE DIDDLE DIDDLE "EPPPPIIIIIIICCC SIIIINNNNNGGGIIIINNNGGG!" songs on them.
Train of Thought has Stream of Consciousness which is ace.
Octavarium has Octavarium which is ace.
Systematic Chaos is overall better than the others, though In the Presence of the Enemies isn't quite as good as their other long songs.
Black Clouds and Silver Linings has The Count of Tuscany and 4 of the blandest Prog songs ever made.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 18:32:53

At 7/10/10 12:09 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Finally seen a black metal band live, and I must say...lol.

Random note, I saw Necrophobic at Bonecrusher Fest in London, fucking boring.

Seriously, I mostly love Black Metal, but they were so fucking boring, and their set was stupidly long.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 18:41:13

I got around to checking out High on Fire's "Snakes for the Divine." Pretty good. No radical changes from the High on Fire sound, though I feel like there's less filler and less experimentation than there is on Death is this Communion. It's heavy, doomy, stoney, and sludgy, just how I like it. It may be my favorite High on Fire release so far, though there aren't as many standout songs as there were on Death is this Communion.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 20:03:43

At 7/10/10 06:41 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: I got around to checking out High on Fire's "Snakes for the Divine." Pretty good. No radical changes from the High on Fire sound, though I feel like there's less filler and less experimentation than there is on Death is this Communion. It's heavy, doomy, stoney, and sludgy, just how I like it. It may be my favorite High on Fire release so far, though there aren't as many standout songs as there were on Death is this Communion.

I agree completely. The riff off the title track is so fucking catchy it drives me insane. I think I could listen to that riff on a loop for a whole week and not get tired of it. Probably a bad idea though.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-10 21:38:58

Listen to Mortal Sin. Now.

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-11 01:28:03

Just saw Dream Theater and Charred Walls Of The Damned in worcester, MA!

Charred Walls Of The Damned:

Blood On Wood
From The Abyss
Scream Machine
Creating Our Machine
Ghost Town
The Darkest Eyes
Fear In The Sky
Voices within the walls
Manifestations

Dream Theater:

A Nightmare To Remember (BC&SL)
Constant Motion (SC)
A Rite of Passage (BC&SL)
Home (Metropolis Part II)
Hollow Years (Falling Into Infinity)
The Mirror (awake)
Lie (awake)
Wither (BC&SL)
Panic Attack (Octavarium)
As I Am (ToT)
Pull Me Under (Images + Words)
Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and The Sleeper (Images + Words)
Encore:
The Count of Tuscany (BC&SL)

...this show has OFFICIALLY replaced the helloween + Gamma Ray show I went to in 2008 as the best show i've ever attended!

PLUS not only was this my first Dream Theater show, but it was at a venue with a general admission standing area and I was on the barrier the whole time...and all I can say is, by the end of Count Of Tuscany I was crying.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-11 02:18:47

At 7/11/10 12:27 AM, greensucksbluerules wrote: That's probably because Bohemian Rhapsody has lacks a chorus. No repetitiveness there.

also 'cause it's a fantastic song

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-11 03:23:44

Awesome shit Ani :) And they played some stuff from Images And Words, that's amazing :)

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-11 05:34:46

At 7/9/10 05:53 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: dudes, the Melvins are coming to my town in september, but it's the same day I have to leave to go to college

obviously i am not meant for this world

Fuck it, one day late won't hurt.

At 7/10/10 12:09 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Mortal Sin played their whole first album start to finish which was also cool seeing as it was their 25th anniversary. Definitley check them out if you like old school thrash.

That would of been AWESOME. My dad still has that record on vinyl. He used to see them when he lived in Melbourne (Where I was born, but I live near Perth now.)

At 7/10/10 06:41 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: I got around to checking out High on Fire's "Snakes for the Divine."

Good album. That tapping riff at the beginning of the title track? I can play that =D

At 7/11/10 03:23 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Awesome shit Ani :) And they played some stuff from Images And Words, that's amazing :)

Pull Me Under, their greatest hit :D

When I saw DT they played Pull Me Under, and Erotomania and Voices heehee that was ace. But no The Mirror or Lie, that is equally awesome. DT have a great song rotation cycle thang for live shows. When I saw Clutch I only got a 50 minute set, so it was full of new stuff, none of the old gems.

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2010-07-11 08:47:52

At 7/10/10 12:35 PM, TheUnwisePoet wrote: I'm trying to prove any point or establish a fact, it's just about preference.

I'M NOT!

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature