New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zodir
Zodir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:58 PM Reply

Whilst browsing these esteemed pages, I noticed something rather troubling. There was not a single club that discussed Godzilla or other famous Kaiju amongst them. So, I have taken it upon myself to create a club, where Godzilla fanatics can discuss them in peace. I am a massive Godzilla fan, introduced to the films at the tender age of 5 by my uncle, and have been obsessed with them ever since. I now am the proud owner of every Toho Godzilla film (and the crappy American remake). I am now beginning to branch out into the other major Japanese Kaiju series, the Gamera series, so any recommendations for that are welcome. My favorite era of the Godzilla films is probably the Hesei era, due to its almost perfect mix of the serious threat that Godzilla represents and just plain old fun. Here are my top 5 Godzilla films:

1. Gojira- The original Japanese film is probably one of my favorite movies ever. It is terrifying and extraordinarily depressing. There are several scenes that have been burned into my mind that are just extremely sad.
2. Godzilla vs. Destroyah- The ending. That would have earned it one of the top 5 spots, but everything is just spot on about this film. The acting is entertaining, the story is solid, and the fight scenes. Just brilliant. Destroyah might be my favorite of Godzilla's enemies.
3. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah- Another Hesei entry, it revealed the origin of Godzilla, had time travel, robots, epic battles, and an absolutely astounding score from famed composer, Akira Ifukube. Plus, King Ghidorah is just awesome.
4. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack!- While the title is a mouthful, the film moves at a surprisingly brisk pace and returns Godzilla to his evil and antagonistic roots. It also features some of the best effects work in the series and Godzilla is downright scary in this one.
5. Destroy All Monsters- So many monsters, so little time. This film features them all: Godzilla, Minya, Anguirus, King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, Gorosorus, and more! The plot is simplistic, but the giant monster mayhem is worth it!

So, anyone who wishes to join, just say how long you've been a Godzilla fan, and what are some of your favorites. Perhaps you are interested in looking into the Kaiju genre, but you don't know where to start? Ask around and I (or any future members) may help you! So, happy Godzilla-ing!

Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:09 AM Reply

godzilla meant a lot to me as a kid

i remember liking godzilla vs. gigan, the original, and return of mechagodzilla

just something about those giant monsters beating the shit out of each other was so enthralling

i can't wait for the new one

Creator of the Death Note club
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 03:37 AM Reply

For me it started with the 1998 American movie, then Godzilla 2000, then Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS, King Kong vs Godzilla, a couple other ones, and Final Wars.

I haven't watched any since Final Wars, but I've been meaning to watch them from the very first black and white movie.

powerdude964
powerdude964
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

I watched the american version of the original movie from the 1950s, and Final Wars. They're both really good movies. I'd personally recommend them.

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick
Check out my Reddit, dudes.

Zodir
Zodir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 12:09 AM, e-lord wrote: godzilla meant a lot to me as a kid

i remember liking godzilla vs. gigan, the original, and return of mechagodzilla

just something about those giant monsters beating the shit out of each other was so enthralling

i can't wait for the new one

Agreed. I have high hopes for the new one, since Legendary is helming it and they successfully rebooted Batman (The new Godzilla film even has the writer from The Dark Knight). Apparently some footage was shown off at ComicCon, but that's the latest I've heard about it.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 03:37 AM, Painbringer wrote: the 1998 American movie

That's a lot of fish!

The Godzilla Film Fan Club

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 07:22 AM Reply

Yes I love the Godzilla movies. Thanks to James Rolfe I learned a lot about different Godzilla movies I didn't even know about. They would always come on early in the morning on Sundays or late Saturday nights and you had to be lucky enough to catch it through your TV Guide.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 8/12/12 07:22 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Yes I love the Godzilla movies. Thanks to James Rolfe I learned a lot about different Godzilla movies I didn't even know about. They would always come on early in the morning on Sundays or late Saturday nights and you had to be lucky enough to catch it through your TV Guide.

I was absolutely ecstatic when I found out that the Encore channels would play Godzilla movies quite frequnetly. I also remember that the SciFi Channel (before it was SyFy) would have huge Godzilla marathons. I would absolutely love those days. I would just sit in front of the TV and watch guys in giant rubber suits beat each other up.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Wavepad
Wavepad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 8/12/12 09:54 AM, Zodir wrote: I also remember that the SciFi Channel (before it was SyFy) would have huge Godzilla marathons. I would absolutely love those days. I would just sit in front of the TV and watch guys in giant rubber suits beat each other up.

SyFy now is all about horror like shows like Lost GIrl and all that stuff.
Its weird.

| Steam | Asandir is awesome he made my sig. |

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 07:50 PM, Wavepad wrote:
At 8/12/12 09:54 AM, Zodir wrote: I also remember that the SciFi Channel (before it was SyFy) would have huge Godzilla marathons. I would absolutely love those days. I would just sit in front of the TV and watch guys in giant rubber suits beat each other up.
SyFy now is all about horror like shows like Lost GIrl and all that stuff.
Its weird.

It's not even like it's good horror either. All their great stuff (Stargate series, BSG) is all in the past. I really miss old SciFi.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Wavepad
Wavepad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to The Godzilla Film Fan Club Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 08:54 PM, Zodir wrote: It's not even like it's good horror either. All their great stuff (Stargate series, BSG) is all in the past. I really miss old SciFi.

Resident Evil Movies and WWE Smackdown are the only good shows/movies nowdays on SyFy.

| Steam | Asandir is awesome he made my sig. |

BBS Signature