00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

1Her0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,083,734 Views | 77,370 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 06:21:26

Don't you guys know the motto of technical death metal? "Leave songwriting at the door."

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 06:39:54

Happy 2500 pages!

At 10/19/11 05:40 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: I honestly think their last two albums have been their best. I was pleasantly surprised by them both, actually. After Triumph or Agony I wasn't expecting anything special.

I must be in the minority for thinking Triumph or Agony had something to it. There's a fair amount of tracks on the album I actually like.

here are some previews for all the songs on the Metallica/Lou Reed Lulu thing. It's...uh, weird? The music is good, I suppose, but Reed's singing style doesn't fit the music at all.

The album leaked and all I can say is that it's comedic gold. Easily one of the worst 2011 metal albums.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 06:54:22

At 10/20/11 06:21 AM, Dalnaki wrote: Don't you guys know the motto of technical death metal? "Leave songwriting at the door."

I feel the same way about most Tech Death, but Atheist has always had a special spot for me. They got me into to both death metal and jazz fusion. I think they have pretty good songwriting capabilities, until Jupiter, I didn't really hear a song that was too wanky. And I know despite your hatred of tech death, you'd love Polluted Inheritance.

Sense Offender, listen to Elements. It's really the overlooked gem of the band. It is arguably the most technical and most experimental of the Atheist albums, but at the same time it's really damn good. The jazzy elements are really apparent here as well, to the point they have a short 2 minute Latin Jazz instrumental, Samba Briza, which is really shelled out despite only being 2 minutes. Good shit.

Just wondering, seeing as black metal is commonly spoken of here, does any body know of some good non post/depressive/atmospheric black metal? I like the said types of black metal, I just really want to hear some good old fashioned black metal.

Also, just dropping in to say beyond a little bit of the debut, Deicide is garbage, and Glenn Benton is a cunt. I remember him once refusing to tour with Suffocation because "he doesn't like n*ggers" . Which is funny because of how much better Suffocation is than Deicide. It sucks how my black friends (the two who are into metal) have to deal with some of their favorite bands having racist members (Glenn Benton, Hellhammer, Gaahl, everybody in Hate Forest) :(

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 06:58:07

At 10/20/11 06:54 AM, Tobi wrote: Just wondering, seeing as black metal is commonly spoken of here, does any body know of some good non post/depressive/atmospheric black metal? I like the said types of black metal, I just really want to hear some good old fashioned black metal.

I forgot to say "modern" black metal. Sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 07:53:00

At 10/19/11 04:54 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 10/19/11 07:15 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, they just put out the second announcement for Soundwave 2012. Mostly meh, except for one little gem that got me REALLY excited...
Of those confirmed bands, CATHEDRAL is the one whom excites you?

Apparently you don't know the awesomeness that is Bad Religion and Staind.

Remaining strictly metal because I'm posting in the Metal Hell, yeah.

However, my excitement extends beyond Cathedral alone.

BAD RELIGION (yes)
STRUNG OUT (who?)
STAIND (yes)
WEDNESDAY 13 (hell yes)
UNEARTH (yeah why not)
THE PRETTY RECKLESS (no)
CATHEDRAL (YYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH)
SHADOWS FALL (yes)
TONIGHT ALIVE (no)
MOTIONLESS IN WHITE (no)
BREAK EVEN (no)
HEAVEN SHALL BURN (maybe just for shits and giggles)
YOUR DEMISE (no)
A ROCKET TO THE MOON (no)
THE READY SET (no)
THE MENZINGERS (possible, more of a no)
DREAM ON DREAMER (no)
KITTIE (for shits and giggles, yes)
DREDG (no)
ATTACK! ATTACK! (no)
THE SMOKING HEARTS (no)
THE SUMMER SET (no)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 07:55:57

Also Duff, while I haven't listened to any of the following bands, I just thought I may as well point it out for you in case you're confused.

Attack! Attack! exists apparently in both the UK and the US. I can't remember which was the "better" of the two (US I think), however the Attack! Attack! playing Soundwave is the UK one, or the inferior band supposedly.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 13:29:19

At 10/20/11 06:21 AM, Dalnaki wrote: Don't you guys know the motto of technical death metal? "Leave songwriting at the door."

I hope you're not talking about Atheist, because they're really good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 14:33:01

All classic Atheist is good, duff and sensey!

At 10/20/11 07:53 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: However, my excitement extends beyond Cathedral alone.

Bad Religion, Staind and Cathedral aside; that's a pretty shitty lineup dude.

I want EVERYONE'S opinion on this lineup.

Is this worth 180 dollars to spend on a four day ticket, and unknown amounts more for transportation?

Everyone's input on the bands is appreciated.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 14:47:11

At 10/20/11 02:33 PM, AniMetal wrote: All classic Atheist is good, duff and sensey!

At 10/20/11 07:53 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: However, my excitement extends beyond Cathedral alone.

Is this worth 180 dollars to spend on a four day ticket, and unknown amounts more for transportation?

AUTOPSY
AGALLOCH
EYEHATEGOD
DYING FETUS
GODFLESH
NAPALM DEATH
MORBID ANGEL
BRUJERIA
ANVIL
DRAGGED INTO SUNLIGHT
ELECTRIC WIZARD
SAINT VITUS
SUFFOCATION
RWAKE
COUGH

Those are the bands I know and would want to see. If I left out a ridiculously good band it's because I've never heard them.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 15:41:23

At 10/20/11 02:33 PM, AniMetal wrote: I want EVERYONE'S opinion on this lineup.

That's a damn good line up, Days 1, 2, and 4 are chock full of good shit (Day 3 has some good stuff like Yob, but I don't know a few bands there). It's defiantly worth going to. It's just a shame I probably won't be able to go, seeing as it's a ten minute drive from my fucking house.

One thing though: Why is Agalloch playing there? Atmospheric BM (yes they have some heavier stuff, but still, fuck off) does NOT belong in a metal fest full of drunk mosh goers. It barely worked for Neurosis last year, so how is it gonna work here? So called "intelligent" metal doesn't have much of a place there, and people are probably going to go to the beer stands while they play.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 20:21:46

At 10/20/11 02:33 PM, AniMetal wrote: Everyone's input on the bands is appreciated.

I don't know if I'd spend $180. There seems to be a lot of shit there. $90 would seem more reasonable to me.

I'd go for these guys:

AUTOPSY
DESASTER
ARTILLERY
GHOUL
BLACK WITCHERY
HORNA
ARCHGOAT
SUFFOCATION
SARGEIST

Looking for an answer, dragged into sunlight and the day everything became nothing can preemptively fuck off.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 21:11:14

I'm happy that Agalloch is only co-headling the first day, when they could easily headline.

It means I have time to relax and take it easy before breaking my neck during Autopsy. :P (That is, if I go)

Bands i'd love to see:
AUTOPSY
AGALLOCH
EYEHATEGOD
GODFLESH
NAPALM DEATH
ARTILLERY
MORBID ANGEL
YOB
ELECTRIC WIZARD
SAINT VITUS
SUFFOCATION
CHURCH OF MISERY
ULCERATE
RWAKE

The fact it's 180 bucks for forteen bands out of countless, is what's making my decision hard.

To be fair though, the only band on the lineup playing that I know but DON'T like is Anvil. (God damn, they fucking suck)

So I still need to check out a large number of the bands, most of which probably won't be checked out until the week of the fest itself. hahaha

Any other opinions?

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 22:50:41

2500 pages !!!

Agalloch (Saw them once, they are a must see)
Dying Fetus (I don't know them quite a lot, but I think it could be nice to see them live)
Infernal Stronghold (Brilliant! I'll see them in a month, in Montreal)
Electric Wizard (Must be one hell of a good time to see them live)
Suffocation (Dunno, just figured it would be cool to see such a big name live)

At 10/20/11 03:41 PM, Tobi wrote: One thing though: Why is Agalloch playing there? Atmospheric BM (yes they have some heavier stuff, but still, fuck off) does NOT belong in a metal fest full of drunk mosh goers. It barely worked for Neurosis last year, so how is it gonna work here? So called "intelligent" metal doesn't have much of a place there, and people are probably going to go to the beer stands while they play.

It's true that they don't really fit on the line-up, but come on! So called intelligent metal? Really? They are a great band!

At 10/20/11 07:55 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Also Duff, while I haven't listened to any of the following bands, I just thought I may as well point it out for you in case you're confused.

Attack! Attack! exists apparently in both the UK and the US. I can't remember which was the "better" of the two (US I think), however the Attack! Attack! playing Soundwave is the UK one, or the inferior band supposedly.

I see the spelling is differentm yes. The band from the United States is named Attack Attack!. But em, I doubt they are superior to the one from the UK. In fact, I doubt they are better than anything...

My buddies from Benighted, Blotted Science, Blood Red Throne, Cynic, Decapitated, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Nile, Origin and Quo Vadis strongly disagree with you. And you know what? I'm on their side.

At 10/20/11 06:54 AM, Tobi wrote: Just wondering, seeing as black metal is commonly spoken of here, does any body know of some good non post/depressive/atmospheric black metal? I like the said types of black metal, I just really want to hear some good old fashioned black metal.

I strongly recommand the album Ars Talionis The Art Of Retaliation by the French Black Metal band Balrog. This album is fucking intense, raw, agressive, brutal and it has a great production.

Chaos Moon is another good one. I know they make some Depressive Black Metal, but they also have some rawer more straight-to-the-point Black Metal in their music.

Chasse-Galerie is another band I kind of like. I only listenned to one of their albums and not more than once or twive, but I will definitely check it back in the near future.

Infernal Stronghold. They have some Black Metal and some Crust Punk material. Well worth it :) Listen to the album Godless Noise, it's fantastic. The album title is very representative of what they play. With this record, it's obvious that they tried to make it sound very chaotic, dark and violent. Give it a spin :)

Ulver. You know them, right? If you don't listen to their album Nattens Madrigal. The production is ear-shattering, but the riffing is fantastic. I understand why this band was so influential for BM bands.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 23:48:38

At 10/20/11 02:33 PM, AniMetal wrote: All classic Atheist is good, duff and sensey!

AUTOPSY
AGALLOCH
EYEHATEGOD
DYING FETUS
NAPALM DEATH
MORBID ANGEL
ANVIL
INTERMENT
ELECTRIC WIZARD
SUFFOCATION
DISMA

Go to my page if you wanna hear interment and Disma.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 23:49:38

Oops no disma on my page.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 00:34:04

Also CD's I'm ordering tomorrow are:
Sleep-Sleep's Holy Mountain (Ever since you guys mentioned them I've been curious to check them out and I've listened to some tracks off of it so hell yeah.)

Yob-Atma (Pretty much a band that was recommended to me on amazon for some reason it really stuck out to me from the other recommended CD's and it's only $10 bucks. Checked them out of course before and like it.)

Gigan-Order Of False eyes (Not to sure if anyone really knows them. Just saw them with Immolation and Jungle Rot. Pretty cool band)

Gorguts- Considered Dead/ Erosion of Sanity (A 2 from the Vault deal. Only $9. like what I have heard from them.)

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 14:26:30

Anybody listen to Vektor? I'm really liking their album, Black Future.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 17:32:29

At 10/21/11 02:26 PM, K2LU wrote: Anybody listen to Vektor? I'm really liking their album, Black Future.

Never heard of them but since you brought them up I am listening to them right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 17:37:49

At 10/21/11 02:26 PM, K2LU wrote: Anybody listen to Vektor? I'm really liking their album, Black Future.

Vektor are pretty awesome. You might also like Diamond Plate too. Really technical modern thrash metal.

At 10/20/11 10:50 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: It's true that they don't really fit on the line-up, but come on! So called intelligent metal? Really? They are a great band!

The lineup is diverse enough, that I don't think there's such a thing as a band that don't belong on MDF.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 18:20:14

Yes, Black Future is really fucking good.

At 10/21/11 12:34 AM, Anti-pie wrote: Gorguts- Considered Dead/ Erosion of Sanity (A 2 from the Vault deal. Only $9. like what I have heard from them.)

I like Gorguts but the only song by them that I REALLY like is Faceless Ones. It's like they've never made a song as good as that in their entire discog.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 18:53:41

I know and like

Agalloch
Eyehategod (not that familiar, but I like what I've heard)
Godflesh
Negura Bunget (one of the best atmospheric bm bands ever)
Yob
Electric Wizard
Saint Vitus
Rwake (so underrated)

And from what I've listened to, Dodheimsgard is hit and miss. They're alright. I might give them another chance sometime.

$180? I dunno. A lot of those bands I don't know, and the ones I've heard of, I've not listened to, or have listened to but completely forgot everything I heard, like Morbid Angel.

I have Black Future and Demolition. Vektor is awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-21 19:11:20

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I wrote a review for Black Future. Gave it a 5 out of 5.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 13:03:21

After returning from a short break, I want to quickly say "FUCK YES! Running Wild have returned!" This shall be my chance to see them live.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 13:31:44

HeavenDuff, thanks for the suggestions. I esspecially liked Barlog and Infernal Stronghold. Speaking of the latter, I'm really liking the hardcore/black metal thats been fusion going on lately. You guys should check out Wolvhammer. It has the agression of the latest blackened crust movement, in addition to the atmosphere of the depresssive and doom bands. Also HeavenDuff, I wasn't trying to insult Agalloch, just saying they require a little bit more of an attention span than most Deathfest goers seem to want. But like Ani said, this is a pretty varied year, so I can see how it's kinda fitting for them to play there.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 13:39:18

At 10/20/11 10:50 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Ulver. You know them, right? If you don't listen to their album Nattens Madrigal. The production is ear-shattering, but the riffing is fantastic. I understand why this band was so influential for BM bands.

I forgot to say, I'd be pretty pathetic not to know of them. Which brings me to this question:

Am I the only one who prefers their non-black material to their black material?

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 13:55:58

At 10/22/11 01:31 PM, Tobi wrote:
Wolvhammer.

Damn that bands pretty cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 15:12:26

At 10/22/11 01:03 PM, Bahamut wrote: After returning from a short break, I want to quickly say "FUCK YES! Running Wild have returned!" This shall be my chance to see them live.

Running Wild has only toured the United States / Canada ONCE EVER, and that was in 1986. They didn't even play a single show here when they were announcing it quits a few years ago.

Fuck them. It is finacially possible for them to play in the states, but nope. They have to be butthurt assholes over the fact their only tour ever here was a failure.

And they haven't produced any quality music in years either.

/rage

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 18:38:03

At 10/22/11 01:31 PM, Tobi wrote: saying they require a little bit more of an attention span

lol.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 19:20:08

I would pay $180 just to hear Eyehategod, Saint Vitus, and Electric wizard alone they're all in my top ten bands. I say go for it.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-22 19:31:42

At 10/20/11 06:54 AM, Tobi wrote:
I feel the same way about most Tech Death, but Atheist has always had a special spot for me. They got me into to both death metal and jazz fusion. I think they have pretty good songwriting capabilities, until Jupiter, I didn't really hear a song that was too wanky. And I know despite your hatred of tech death, you'd love Polluted Inheritance.

That was actually pretty nice, but then again, they're a 90s tech death band. AKA before Necrophagist became the paragon of technicality.

Just wondering, seeing as black metal is commonly spoken of here, does any body know of some good non post/depressive/atmospheric black metal? I like the said types of black metal, I just really want to hear some good old fashioned black metal.

Inquisition
Archgoat
Beherit
Blasphemy
Grand Belial's Key
Varathron
Necromantia

At 10/20/11 01:29 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I hope you're not talking about Atheist, because they're really good.

Atheist is alright from what I remember, so they get a pass.

At 10/20/11 02:33 PM, AniMetal wrote: Everyone's input on the bands is appreciated.

These bands are all shit that I'd definitely see if I went, so take that however you want it.

Godflesh
Electric Wizard
Autopsy
Napalm Death might be worth seeing, though I haven't really listened to their recent material.
Saint Vitus
Anvil
Archgoat
Artillery
Black Witchery
Demigod
Eyehategod
Morgoth
Noothgrush
Suffocation
Deviated Instinct
The Devil's Blood
Disma
Haemorrhage
Infernal Stronghold
Macabre
Nausea
Today is the Day might be worth seeing. Their name is familiar. I'll listen to an album and get back at you with that.

Sweet lineup, I'd fucking go if I can.

:Also, it's pretty damn obvious why Agalloch is there. To attract the tree metal hipsters.