• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 15:35:22 Reply

At 12/5/13 01:47 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 12/5/13 01:23 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: lol this thread is ancient
Yes. Yes it is.
Ancient and still going (mildly) strong.

I joined on page 8...

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 15:55:08 Reply

At 12/4/13 02:06 PM, Viper50 wrote: According to Loudwire these are the Top 10 Metal Albums of 2013.
4. Deafheaven - Sunbather

Oh noes! They so gay and hipster!

1. Gorguts - Colored Sands

I should listen to this one, to see if it's worth seing them live in 15 days (with Origin)

What are your opinions on this list? Is there anything you'd like to see added or taken out or placed differently?

Meh. I didn't listen to much stuff from 2013, so I can't really complain about anything not being on the list or anything.

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 17:54:12 Reply

At 12/5/13 03:55 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 12/4/13 02:06 PM, Viper50 wrote: According to Loudwire these are the Top 10 Metal Albums of 2013.
4. Deafheaven - Sunbather
Oh noes! They so gay and hipster!

your comment made me listen to that album, shit's amazing

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 18:09:26 Reply

At 12/5/13 03:55 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
1. Gorguts - Colored Sands
I should listen to this one, to see if it's worth seing them live in 15 days (with Origin)

Same here. About listening to them. I'm not seeing them live at any point in the near future.

Meh. I didn't listen to much stuff from 2013, so I can't really complain about anything not being on the list or anything.

Kinda the same here. Though out of that list I can honestly say I have not listened to at least one track from 4 of the 10 albums listed.
Those albums being: Queensryche, Ihsahn, Dream Theater, and The Ocean.
I have Aftershock, 13, and Ultraviolet. The best song off of Ultraviolet (in my opinion) is Quicksand.

for some reason I can't seem to find the studio version of that song on YouTube....

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 18:14:17 Reply

At 12/5/13 05:54 PM, Earfetish wrote: your comment made me listen to that album, shit's amazing

Oh noes, you like hipster black metal!

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 18:21:41 Reply

At 12/5/13 06:14 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 12/5/13 05:54 PM, Earfetish wrote: your comment made me listen to that album, shit's amazing
Oh noes, you like hipster black metal!

Out of curiosity, why is it hipster? I'm not sure I'd call this album black metal really, sounds like post-metal shoegaze, but kinda an expansion on black metal. Do they dress like hipsters and cycle to gigs?

lol at the amount of metal genres nowadays, growing every year

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-05 18:36:55 Reply

At 12/5/13 06:21 PM, Earfetish wrote: Out of curiosity, why is it hipster? I'm not sure I'd call this album black metal really, sounds like post-metal shoegaze, but kinda an expansion on black metal. Do they dress like hipsters and cycle to gigs?

I don't know. Apparently some black metal fans hate blackgaze, cascadian black metal, atmospheric black metal and the likes. But these guys have also released an album that is pink, they sing about emo stuff, they look hipster, etc.

I like their stuff really, and I don't ming the genre it falls under. They just seem to get a lot of hate from a certain type of metal fans.

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-06 01:53:01 Reply

At 12/5/13 06:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I don't know. Apparently some black metal fans hate blackgaze, cascadian black metal, atmospheric black metal and the likes.

Atmospheric black metal is pretty awesome.

Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Game Developer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-06 22:52:38 Reply

Looking for some microtonal metal. Can anyone help? So far this is about all I've found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9K3v99SCWs

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-06 23:22:59 Reply

Ya know. My sister and I were looking through my vinyls yesterday and I pulled out my copy of Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf.

she apparently didn't know I had it abut whatever

Well I handed it to her and she insisted on playing it on my record player. But before she did she looked at the album art and she goes to me "Ya know. This has to be one of the most metal album covers I've ever seen. But it's really deceptive once you actually listen to it."
In a way I kinda agree with her.
The opening title track has to be one of the best instances of "Opera Rock" I've ever heard though.
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Metal Hell

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
smeagol1
smeagol1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-08 00:32:40 Reply

At 12/5/13 03:35 PM, Earfetish wrote:
At 12/5/13 01:47 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 12/5/13 01:23 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: lol this thread is ancient
Yes. Yes it is.
Ancient and still going (mildly) strong.
I joined on page 8...

I visit from time to time, I rarely ever go into general anymore preventing myself from losing faith in humanity.

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-09 07:39:17 Reply

At 12/6/13 11:22 PM, Viper50 wrote: Ya know. My sister and I were looking through my vinyls yesterday and I pulled out my copy of Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf.
she apparently didn't know I had it abut whatever
Well I handed it to her and she insisted on playing it on my record player. But before she did she looked at the album art and she goes to me "Ya know. This has to be one of the most metal album covers I've ever seen. But it's really deceptive once you actually listen to it."
In a way I kinda agree with her.
The opening title track has to be one of the best instances of "Opera Rock" I've ever heard though.
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

The title track, I suppose, would be what some people think of as heavy (like my wife, who finds AC/DC to be far, far too heavy).

The rest of the album plays out mainly ballads and old timey rock n roll.

I remember listening to that record when my brother brought up some of his friends. One of them brought his girlfriend. Her brother had died in a car crash the month before and Meat Loaf was his favorite band. She just burst out crying at Bat Out Of Hell. I felt so fucking terrible for her.

I can't relate to the album though. Love and sex? What the hell are those?

Would you like to send our coloured cousins Home again, my friend?
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by BlueHippo. Seig heil

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-09 09:52:33 Reply

At 12/9/13 07:39 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: The title track, I suppose, would be what some people think of as heavy (like my wife, who finds AC/DC to be far, far too heavy).

Yeah I guess I can kinda see that.

The rest of the album plays out mainly ballads and old timey rock n roll.

Yep it is. I've had to sit through that album a bunch of times when I was younger. My mom loves

I remember listening to that record when my brother brought up some of his friends. One of them brought his girlfriend. Her brother had died in a car crash the month before and Meat Loaf was his favorite band. She just burst out crying at Bat Out Of Hell. I felt so fucking terrible for her.

Thats....I don't even know. I feel bad about that now. And it was probably twice as bad as it would have been if you were listening to a different Meatloaf song because of what Bat Out Of Hell is about....

I can't relate to the album though. Love and sex? What the hell are those?

Same here, haha.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-11 17:57:24 Reply

I've dropped a thread in the General forum to ask about this, but I doubt that I'll ever get good answers. I just wanted to know which ones of the albums by UFO were the best.

I only own Phenomenon and I love it, so I was hoping that I could get my hands on more of their material and I was just wondering where I should start.

Thanks!!

Sigh - A Sunset Song
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-12 11:29:25 Reply

Red Fang have officially released a new music video for the song Blood Like Cream.
It's pretty much "Red Fang vs. The Beer Zombies".
At least this is a music video that mainly focuses on beer where they DON'T die.

referring to the video for Prehistoric Dog

Though Fred Armisen does.....

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-14 19:52:14 Reply

Don Anderson announced yesterday that Agalloch were now recording their fifth full-lenght album. I can't be the only one who's pumped by these good news :)

I think Agalloch have definitely made it's place among the greats of our time. There is nothing they've ever released that wasn't inspired and fulfilling. I'm hoping for another amazing album!

Loco Locass - Kevin et Gaétan
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-14 21:25:20 Reply

New Agalloch, eh? Sweet. They're one of my favorite bands.

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-15 00:54:02 Reply

At 12/14/13 09:25 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: New Agalloch, eh? Sweet. They're one of my favorite bands.

This is what he wrote:

Don Anderson
December 12 near Portland, OR, United States
"Agalloch album #5 begins today."

And this is a picture he posted later that day, saying "A proper amp setup."

Metal Hell

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-16 13:37:01 Reply

At 12/14/13 07:52 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Don Anderson announced yesterday that Agalloch were now recording their fifth full-lenght album. I can't be the only one who's pumped by these good news :)

Oooh cool. I recently started getting into them more than I have in the past. So I may not be as "pumped" as you or Sense-Offender, but I still can't wait to hear this.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-17 12:21:35 Reply

A thread in General got me curious.
How much music does everyone here have (hour wise)?
And then out of that how much of it is Metal or would be considered Metal?
I have roughly 1,500 hours of music but only 966 of that would be considered Metal.
The rest is Alt. Rock, Grunge, Classic Rock, Prog. Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Stoner Rock, Shoegaze, Hard Rock, Indie, and Punk.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
K2LU
K2LU
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-17 14:40:51 Reply

At 12/15/13 12:54 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: And this is a picture he posted later that day, saying "A proper amp setup."

Do they go to 11?

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-17 16:34:56 Reply

At 12/17/13 12:21 PM, Viper50 wrote: A thread in General got me curious.
I have roughly 1,500 hours of music but only 966 of that would be considered Metal.
The rest is Alt. Rock, Grunge, Classic Rock, Prog. Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Stoner Rock, Shoegaze, Hard Rock, Indie, and Punk.

Total:
34 days, 9 hours, 34 minutes and 57 seconds

Metal:
20 day, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 36 seconds

So that's somewhere between 13 and 14 days of music that isn't metal. And the genres are pretty diversified.

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-18 23:03:21 Reply

Well I for one only listen to metal. Call me ignorant but I just don't like other types of music. I tried to get into some but I never could.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-19 13:58:33 Reply

At 12/17/13 12:21 PM, Viper50 wrote: A thread in General got me curious.

Total Length: 3 weeks, 0 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes, 27 seconds. So, that's about 519 hours of just music.
I also have a shitload of Radio Plays (or "Full Cast Audio Dramas"): about 540 hours.

But I can't say how much of the music could be considered metal. I just keep everything in one playlist (except for the Audio Dramas, I keep a few seperate playlists for those). A rough guess is that about half to 2/3 is metal. The rest is hip hop (mostly german stuff), punk (again, mostly german stuff and mostly political punk. No "Blink 182" crap punk), general rock... and stuff like Radiohead and Björk, where I wouldn't know in which category I should put those.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-19 18:36:39 Reply

At 12/19/13 01:58 PM, Haggard wrote: punk (again, mostly german stuff and mostly political punk. No "Blink 182" crap punk),

Do you listen to stuff like Misfits or Sex Pistols or Screeching Weasel?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-22 13:31:51 Reply

At 12/19/13 06:36 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 12/19/13 01:58 PM, Haggard wrote: punk (again, mostly german stuff and mostly political punk. No "Blink 182" crap punk),
Do you listen to stuff like Misfits or Sex Pistols or Screeching Weasel?

I listen to Misfits a lot, have yet to give Sex Pistols a shot (well, other songs than Anarchy in the UK) and I never heard of Screeching Weasel. :(
But as I've said, I mostly listen to political punk like Slime (Second album "Yankees raus" on youtube)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-22 14:28:09 Reply

At 12/22/13 01:31 PM, Haggard wrote: I listen to Misfits a lot, have yet to give Sex Pistols a shot (well, other songs than Anarchy in the UK) and I never heard of Screeching Weasel. :(

This is Screeching Weasel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egyCGAPrBpU
It's them doing a cover. But you get the general idea as to what they sound like.
Dead Kennedys?

But as I've said, I mostly listen to political punk like Slime (Second album "Yankees raus" on youtube)

I'll check that out now.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-26 00:14:54 Reply

Merry Christmas to you all, metalheads from the MH!

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-26 00:37:46 Reply

At 12/26/13 12:14 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Merry Christmas to you all, metalheads from the MH!

Merry Christmas HeavenDuff

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-12-26 14:25:30 Reply

At 12/26/13 12:37 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 12/26/13 12:14 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Merry Christmas to you all, metalheads from the MH!
Merry Christmas HeavenDuff

Thanks!

My Christmas was pretty cool, both Christmas eve with my girlfriend's family and the morning of Christmas (more like afternoon, really). I've received and given quite a few gifts and I'm really happy of how things went with all the good people I was with (boy, I drank too much beer and wine, though).

One of my gifts is kind of relavent to mention in the Metal Hell. I don't know if you guys remember this Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell album by Ulver, but my parents offered me the book it was inspired by. And I just started reading it. It's not really a book with a standard narrative but rather a work of philosophy and poetry on good, evil, reason, etc. by the English romantic poet William Blake (28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827).

I like it so far. I'd recommand it, and so would I recommand the album by Ulver.