00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CloudSavage just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

119,972 Views | 1,306 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This one has quite a few medals broken. Check Kitsukage's comment and the game author's reply to that. He is precisely correct.

All of the following are broken: "Staff Of Ages", "Well Done Warrior", "Speedy", "Cyclops Down", "Mutated", "Pay Up", "Wrong Hole", "Burn, Baby, Burn!", and "Let There Be Light" as can easily be verified by viewing the walkthrough linked in the author comments of the game (they're all secret medals, but they are obtained in the walkthrough)

Also, though "Rick Roll'd" is not obtained in the walkthrough, due to all of those other medals being bugged and unobtainable, there is a high chance/probability this one is also broken and it probably should be assumed as broken unless someone has proof otherwise.

In the author comments, they mention they're working on fixing those medals, meaning they were aware they were broken. However this was way back in 2015 and clearly they haven't fixed a thing and it's 2017 already. The broken medals should just be removed.

--edit-- in case "author comments" wasn't clear, in this case I mean the author's comments to Kitsukage, who brought up that all those medals are broken.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-07 19:06:51

I will raise that topic again, this time with a certain solution, I mean all those "overpoints" on users' walls, all medals from removed games that do not exist in system anymore etc. On the previous page I had a talk with @Shantom about that bad Ponies 4 game and the denied medals from it. Repairing medal stats fixed the stats on my account, but on my account only.
So my question is - and I will tag @PsychoGoldfish while asking it - is it possible to repair the medal stats of all users on the whole Newgrounds? Is there any way to do this? Because if it worked on my account it would certainly work on all other accounts and that would fix all those medal issues I mentioned above once and for all.

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-17 18:34:31

It should be checked and determined which medals exactly work in it and what medals do not. I just ended with over 1200 kills and the medal did not work. I also remember that once I was crazy enough to grind the score to that ridiculous number of one million, but the medals for 1 000 000 and 500 000 did not unlock either. No idea about what are those secret medals for...

Also it should not be expected that the author will ever fix anything in this game...

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-18 19:28:21

The medals for collecting all spells and weapons are obviously broken:

Last time unlocked: over 3 years ago.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-18 22:31:49

At 2/18/17 07:28 PM, HerbieG wrote: The medals for collecting all spells and weapons are obviously broken:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619929
Last time unlocked: over 3 years ago.

They should be removed if they are not working.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-19 12:33:28

About that Gilgamesh game: I have to honestly admit that I passed the game, but I did not find 11 weapons as it is written in the medal requirements, so there may be some secret in the game that I missed. I was constantly trying to re-visit all terrains, open chests, talk to the people, but it still wasn't enough.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-21 12:21:34

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-02-21 12:37:50

At 2/21/17 12:21 PM, HerbieG wrote: Medals in this game are not working for over 2 years:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/624637

Withdrawing ;-)
Judging from the dates can be very deceiving ;-)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-01 19:23:29

At 2/17/17 06:34 PM, HerbieG wrote: It should be checked and determined which medals exactly work in it and what medals do not. I just ended with over 1200 kills and the medal did not work. I also remember that once I was crazy enough to grind the score to that ridiculous number of one million, but the medals for 1 000 000 and 500 000 did not unlock either. No idea about what are those secret medals for...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/614956
Also it should not be expected that the author will ever fix anything in this game...

That's because that game timeouts like crazy. It's the whole medals API timing out problem that plagues quite a number of games, except this one has no means to save play and resume from a saved game, so you can't even use that workaround on it.

If you can find some way to keep the medals API open the entire time (how??) then you could in theory obtain all the medals.

It's why, for example, the medals that stop working differ for different people, yet very few would have all the medals.

I should have all the medals in that game (I definitely earned them) but of course suffered from the medals API timeout issue, so you can check whatever I do have on that game to see whereabouts the medals API decided to timeout for me on that game.

So really this one is a much bigger issue than just this one game because it's the whole medals API timeout issue. Probably the absolutely most annoying medals issue on the entire website, considering it'll tend to affect those medals which require lots of time and effort to obtain, thus being the ultimate troll to the player as well.

As for the secret medals in the game, you haven't figured it out yet? I know he has some really arcane secret medals in some of his other games, but the ones in this game should be pretty obvious how to obtain, at least once you start obtaining a few of them (which you should already have some).

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-02 10:44:30

At 3/1/17 07:23 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 2/17/17 06:34 PM, HerbieG wrote: It should be checked and determined which medals exactly work in it and what medals do not. I just ended with over 1200 kills and the medal did not work. I also remember that once I was crazy enough to grind the score to that ridiculous number of one million, but the medals for 1 000 000 and 500 000 did not unlock either. No idea about what are those secret medals for...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/614956
That's because that game timeouts like crazy. It's the whole medals API timing out problem that plagues quite a number of games, except this one has no means to save play and resume from a saved game, so you can't even use that workaround on it.

If you can find some way to keep the medals API open the entire time (how??) then you could in theory obtain all the medals.

It's why, for example, the medals that stop working differ for different people, yet very few would have all the medals.

I should have all the medals in that game (I definitely earned them) but of course suffered from the medals API timeout issue, so you can check whatever I do have on that game to see whereabouts the medals API decided to timeout for me on that game.

So really this one is a much bigger issue than just this one game because it's the whole medals API timeout issue. Probably the absolutely most annoying medals issue on the entire website, considering it'll tend to affect those medals which require lots of time and effort to obtain, thus being the ultimate troll to the player as well.

Yeah, I am aware of that. Some of the developers deal with it by adding some additional code to the game that forces it to connect to the NG API before unlocking the medal. There are also several - but not many - games that are using Newgrounds-based saving system, so they are constantly connected.

As for the secret medals in the game, you haven't figured it out yet? I know he has some really arcane secret medals in some of his other games, but the ones in this game should be pretty obvious how to obtain, at least once you start obtaining a few of them (which you should already have some).

Well, I unlocked few of them, but in their description there is only a part of a story told and nothing about the requirements for unlocking them, so I even have no idea when and why I earned them. I thought that they are maybe appearing while you are playing the game - the longer you play the more of those medals you get, but since the game disconnects from Newgrounds it may also not be possible to get the latest of them.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-02 15:55:43

It seems like I'm not getting medals for any games. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-02 16:18:42

At 3/2/17 03:55 PM, Ickalo wrote: It seems like I'm not getting medals for any games. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Well, as I can see you have some medals on your account :-) Which games were you playing recently and you did not get medals from? On what browser? Do you have any AdBlocking devices turned on or anything that can interfere with the Flash Player for example? Is your Flash Player up-to-date?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-02 20:04:01

At 3/2/17 10:44 AM, HerbieG wrote: Well, I unlocked few of them, but in their description there is only a part of a story told and nothing about the requirements for unlocking them, so I even have no idea when and why I earned them. I thought that they are maybe appearing while you are playing the game - the longer you play the more of those medals you get

That's a bingo. That's precisely how you obtain them.

but since the game disconnects from Newgrounds it may also not be possible to get the latest of them.

Also correct. You're at the mercy of the medals API not timing out prior to the medal being obtained.

This is why precisely where it decides to timeout (and thus precisely how far different people have managed to get medals-wise) will differ from one individual to another.

It's the same problem in any games that take some time to obtain medals. And particularly bad in games where you must do it all in one go and no save feature, so you can't even do the save the game, reload the page, reload from save, then obtain medal workaround.

There are quite a few games where I should have all medals in-game but lack a few of them due to this exact issue.

Now if there's some way to tell the Newgrounds API to not disconnect and hold your horses and stay connected the whole time so you can get the medals? Then yeah then you could get them.

There may be some way to do that but I don't at present know of such a way.

Yes it's a fault of design of the game programmer, but also it's a fault of design of Newgrounds itself. And especially if there is lack of information hammering it into developers' heads that, yes, you really do need to work around this exact problem (and also couldn't hurt to allow medal resubmit functionality).

When you have essentially zero quality control combined with amateur programmers, combined with these programmers not knowing you gotta do all these workarounds in your code so you don't break medals for your players, then yes you're going to have these exact issues.

So of course the better coders do code in workarounds and even code in medal resubmit functionality in the best of cases. But for every matt-likes-swords you'll have hundreds of MiscritsQuests.

It's only fortunate that most of the truly bad games submitters haven't figured out how to include medals in their games, but obviously some of them have.

At 3/2/17 08:04 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 3/2/17 10:44 AM, HerbieG wrote: Well, I unlocked few of them, but in their description there is only a part of a story told and nothing about the requirements for unlocking them, so I even have no idea when and why I earned them. I thought that they are maybe appearing while you are playing the game - the longer you play the more of those medals you get
That's a bingo. That's precisely how you obtain them.

but since the game disconnects from Newgrounds it may also not be possible to get the latest of them.
Also correct. You're at the mercy of the medals API not timing out prior to the medal being obtained.

Guess what? Somehow this game has a medal re-checking feature of some sort since I just entered it and it gave me the medal for 1000 kills and another secret medal. I'll never fully understand how the games made by this author are working...

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-17 15:08:28

Some complain about this game:

I cannot get the medal for finding the secret level. This has much to do with the fact that I cannot find the secret level at all. I wrote a bit about it here some months ago. To sum it up, I thought that the secret level only could be played this date 5:13 PM. I played the game today. Started some minutes before 17:13. The game was like normal. At 17:13 I had refreshed to the 'play' button. I tried to press the invisible button. Nothing happened. I pressed 'play' and the game started as normal. I refreshed and did this again. When the game had begun I played the game like normal when the clock went over to 17:14 on my computer. On a side note: Holy canoly this game is hard.

What I write may be taken lightly rather than as conclusions. It is not clear what this secret is, or how it is supposed to be found. You americans can try to find this secret level if you happen to read this post before 5:13 PM today. Maybe the level was only available at Mars 17:th 2016. Maybe the level disappeared that day instead, and the hidden timestamp being there either to warn about something changing that day or later telling that something went away that day. In both cases, the medal should be removed due to not being obtainable any longer.

i have completed ffs but ppf is out of my league.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-19 06:23:51

@JME10135

Okay, no, this is not how this works. Medals aren't broken merely if no one has obtained them. Perhaps no one has legitimately obtained it yet but it is still possible to obtain.

Also, with secret medals, unless you know exactly how to get the medal, you really have no proof of anything.

And I'm fairly certain all the medals in all of @l147r0j41bu54mh4 games are obtainable, even though I've not obtained them all, because I've never had any problems with earning medals and then those medals not awarding in his games nor have I seen this to be the case with anyone else.

And medals simply being hard is not a good reason to remove them. Yes that guy's games are very hard. It actually would be an improvement across the board if we had more games like that and less games like all these "gimme" type games anyone can do.

It's only a broken medal if you've met the requirements for obtaining it (and are 100% sure you have), and it didn't award, and you already tried all the workarounds (clearing cache, playing again, save file API timeout workaround (not applicable in this exact case but is in others), etc...) Basically only if you've done everything right and the medal never awards.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-19 10:30:56

At 3/19/17 06:23 AM, NeonSpider wrote: @JME10135

Hi : O

Also, with secret medals, unless you know exactly how to get the medal, you really have no proof of anything.

Well that is not really my concern in this case, but okay.

And medals simply being hard is not a good reason to remove them. Yes that guy's games are very hard.

It is a bad reason indeed.

It actually would be an improvement across the board if we had more games like that and less games like all these "gimme" type games anyone can do.

Just no <: X

It's only a broken medal if you've met the requirements for obtaining it (and are 100% sure you have), and it didn't award, and you already tried all the workarounds (clearing cache, playing again, save file API timeout workaround (not applicable in this exact case but is in others), etc...) Basically only if you've done everything right and the medal never awards.

I see you are very clear in your statements, and so I also want to be:

I came here to start a discussion about how the medal for finding a secret level is supposed to be unlocked. My intention earlier was to play cat adventure that day and time, find the secret level, post about it in the 'medals games and tips' thread and explain how to get to it. Since I was wrong about how to find the secret level, I posted about it here instead to bring up a discussion that hopefully would clear out how to earn that medal once and for all. In case it turns out to be broken we would already be in the correct thread for that.

The OP states that such matters should be brought up in the other medals thread, but that was back in the day when the people there most likely would test how the medals in question could be earned. Now it would probably escalate to something else, if it would escalate to something at all. I have seen you guys discussing similar matters in this thread before lately, and I hope that this topic could start an interesting discussion as well.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-03-31 13:29:48

Everytime I could unlock a medal, the game crashes/freezes in Firefox and gives this message:

An error occured running the Unity content on this page. See your browser’s JavaScript console for more info. The error was: TypeError: NG.medals is undefined

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-06 20:25:13

At 3/2/17 04:18 PM, HerbieG wrote:
At 3/2/17 03:55 PM, Ickalo wrote: It seems like I'm not getting medals for any games. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Well, as I can see you have some medals on your account :-) Which games were you playing recently and you did not get medals from? On what browser? Do you have any AdBlocking devices turned on or anything that can interfere with the Flash Player for example? Is your Flash Player up-to-date?

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I just turned off Opera's built-in AdBlock and Disconnect for Newgrounds, and now the medals work, haha.

At 3/17/17 03:08 PM, JME10135 wrote: Some complain about this game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/669631
I cannot get the medal for finding the secret level. This has much to do with the fact that I cannot find the secret level at all.

3rd screen of the boss fight. Avoid his laser, the fire from above and the second laser standing at the highest platform. When the boss tries to leave the screen, jump over him and wait. The screen will start to fill with flames in the background. The secret level will start eventually. It is maybe necessary to enter the 4ths screen later as well, in case the secret level doesn't trigger. Since I am still the only person who unlocked the achievement for it I think this is still an unanswered question. And even when this is the wrong post now people can at least figure out if the medal currently works. I am not going to delete mine to test it :P.

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-23 09:24:43

At 4/17/17 04:49 PM, Syrreal wrote:
At 3/17/17 03:08 PM, JME10135 wrote: Some complain about this game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/669631
I cannot get the medal for finding the secret level. This has much to do with the fact that I cannot find the secret level at all.
3rd screen of the boss fight. Avoid his laser, the fire from above and the second laser standing at the highest platform. When the boss tries to leave the screen, jump over him and wait. The screen will start to fill with flames in the background. The secret level will start eventually. It is maybe necessary to enter the 4ths screen later as well, in case the secret level doesn't trigger. Since I am still the only person who unlocked the achievement for it I think this is still an unanswered question. And even when this is the wrong post now people can at least figure out if the medal currently works. I am not going to delete mine to test it :P.

Aww I had hoped it was something that could be done earlier in the game, like, before it starts. Thanks anyway. Perhaps I would give it another try if it wasn't for the scrolling clouds. There is way too much movement to the left in games. >>:c

After NeonSpider successfully taged our dear author for this game, I got a PM from Lsrtkjhlitth.dvm.kgnerhjbfd(leetspeakwtf) telling me that the numbers at the loading screen simply were notes to himself about when the latest update was. I then saw that he for some reason changed the placement for these numbers to the opposite corner. He also gave me a hint: The secret level has something to do with the image of the medal for finding the secret level. Not that any of this consern us in any way now.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-28 21:43:37

Could somebody check one thing? I think the medal codes in this game are all messed up.

It gave me prematurely 3 medals so far: the prohibition, the air burst and the lumberjack. They all unlocked alongside with other medals, although I didn't get those in-game achievements. I will unlock them anyway since they aren't hard to get, so no big deal, but something is wrong here. And I don't like to get medals for nothing, even the 5 points ones.
@Shantom - I remember that you had a list of games with messed medals, is that game on this list?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-29 05:30:22

At 4/28/17 09:43 PM, HerbieG wrote: @Shantom - I remember that you had a list of games with messed medals, is that game on this list?

Actually, I don't have a "medals that unlock for no reason" list, but I added it to one of the lists though :P
Seems like an old game with an inactive author, so I guess we can't do much here.
At least they're working? :o

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-30 10:46:12

Are the medals in this game still working? I scored enough to get 2 more of them, but they did not unlock.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-30 11:26:28

At 4/30/17 10:46 AM, HerbieG wrote: Are the medals in this game still working? I scored enough to get 2 more of them, but they did not unlock.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/686301

I also scored enough but nothing worked. PMed the author.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-04-30 13:08:06

At 4/30/17 11:26 AM, Shantom wrote:
At 4/30/17 10:46 AM, HerbieG wrote: Are the medals in this game still working? I scored enough to get 2 more of them, but they did not unlock.
I also scored enough but nothing worked. PMed the author.

Just when I learned to play this game a bit ;-)
Speaking about the list of games: I meant the list of games with messed achievements, being awarded in a wrong way, like - if I remember it correctly - the Smokoko's Made in Mafia.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-01 00:28:16

At 4/30/17 01:08 PM, HerbieG wrote: the Smokoko's Made in Mafia.

Thanks! :o

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-06 12:19:37

I got a question related to this game, anybody remembers it/?

Was there a scoreboard in this game? Because there is this medal for getting number 1 score and nobody unlocked it for about 4 years now. There is also no built-in scoreboard in the game itself.

At 5/6/17 12:19 PM, HerbieG wrote: I got a question related to this game, anybody remembers it/?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/612269
Was there a scoreboard in this game? Because there is this medal for getting number 1 score and nobody unlocked it for about 4 years now. There is also no built-in scoreboard in the game itself.

There is a snapshot of this game from March the 3rd 2013.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130303004750/http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/612269
There was no scoreboard on NG at least and as far as I can remember the game it just unlocked after getting a top (good/high/awesome - not ranking wise) score in one stage (which should unlock before you finish Hardcore).

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-13 06:22:43

Probably. I seem to remember that game requiring multiple runs to win medals. Like some runs you couldn't get any medals at all, and others were fine.

You probably just need to play it some more.