00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ahmad117 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

120,565 Views | 1,309 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 10/3/17 09:57 AM, Optimos wrote: I've thought that too, maybe it's happening the same as happened in 2015. We all can agree that the game is ridiculously buggy in that aspect (freezing stuff, medals not awarded...). But again, I've beaten the whole game twice. The first time I didn't stay until the end of the credits and just returned to the menu. The second time I did wait some minutes, returned to the menu but nope, no medal unlocked either. So I don't really think that beating the game for the 3rd time will award me the medal. But maybe if I'm bored some day I will try.

I'm trying the game right now... it already froze on the first level, and then resumed just like that.

Turns out the game IS a bit challenging - I was expecting a dumbed down version of sokoban due to the holiday theme, but turns out it requires some thinking after all

(Got carried away and lost my timing to edit my previous post. Double posting aside...)

Consistently broken on every browser.

Bitchfreezes the exact moment 1st and 10th levels are completed (presumably because both of them award medals upon completion. I call it "bitchfreezing" because as soon as you switch to another tab and come back, the game proceeds. Well, proceeds without awarding the related medal(s). @Optimos

This is also presumably happening at levels 20 and 30. Also, there's people who unlocked the first 2 medals very recently so I guess there is a workaround?

At 10/3/17 02:05 PM, SuperSapito wrote: (Got carried away and lost my timing to edit my previous post. Double posting aside...)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/697238
Consistently broken on every browser.

It works in Chrome. At least I can start the game when I click 'Play', which is what I think you mean.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/615762
Bitchfreezes the exact moment 1st and 10th levels are completed (presumably because both of them award medals upon completion. I call it "bitchfreezing" because as soon as you switch to another tab and come back, the game proceeds. Well, proceeds without awarding the related medal(s). @Optimos

This is also presumably happening at levels 20 and 30. Also, there's people who unlocked the first 2 medals very recently so I guess there is a workaround?

I don't understand why it doesn't freeze for me. Really, I don't have a super computer that can run everything, in fact it's a bit shitty tbh. Maybe I'll play it again now, I'm in the mood.

Edit: it just froze. IT JUST F*CKING FROZE in the first level. Switched the tab as you said and it unfroze but the pop-up didn't show up.
I think I was the chosen one by the medal gods to get those 2 medals two weeks ago. But jokes aside, I beat it again some days ago (like, a week ago or so) and it didn't freeze either. Now it did.
One more thing I've just realized: the game suddenly saves my progress even if I refresh the page. It was something that annoyed me because even if you returned to the menu the whole progress was lost. This is very weird.

At 10/3/17 02:19 PM, Optimos wrote: It works in Chrome. At least I can start the game when I click 'Play', which is what I think you mean.

Well, so does in firefox (it starts laggy as hell and then freezes while screening an image very similar to the game thumbnail). On Chrome it does not even do that. It just stays black screen all the time.

edit: Since you did unlock these snowman medals only couple weeks ago and now you're locked out too due to the glitch (and I know you are a legit player) then we can only assume the dev messed up the game (maybe on purpose, maybe trying to fix the issue but instead just made it 100% glitched for good). So it's the devs fault either way.

Edit 2: It's about time NG staff starts applying some form of penalty to devs who put flawed medal coding on games that prevents people from achieving it. ESPECIALLY those who refuse to fix them after being contacted. >:(

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-03 14:53:27

At 10/3/17 02:19 PM, Optimos wrote: It works in Chrome. At least I can start the game when I click 'Play', which is what I think you mean.

Okaaaay.... The game just loaded for me, after I tried to open it on chrome several times - I left the window open in the background, now the game just appeared fully loaded.

All right then. Confirmed that the game works in Chrome.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-03 14:59:14

At 10/3/17 02:36 PM, SuperSapito wrote:
edit: Since you did unlock these snowman medals only couple weeks ago and now you're locked out too due to the glitch (and I know you are a legit player) then we can only assume the dev messed up the game (maybe on purpose, maybe trying to fix the issue but instead just made it 100% glitched for good). So it's the devs fault either way.

It's hard to think that the dev was trying to fix the game or anything, considering that the game is from 2013 and that he hasn't contributed to the site since then. So I don't think that's the reason.
Oh well, guess I'm getting in the suspicious hackers list. It was nice getting medals with you guys but it's time to say goodbye... (lel).

Edit 2: It's about time NG staff starts applying some form of penalty to devs who put flawed medal coding on games that prevents people from achieving it. ESPECIALLY those who refuse to fix them after being contacted. >:(

Actually that's always been common in medal games. And now it is even more common, due to all this rise of Unity, HTML, etc games. At least there's this thread for informing about those medals, it's something :)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-03 15:20:15

At 10/3/17 02:59 PM, Optimos wrote: It's hard to think that the dev was trying to fix the game or anything, considering that the game is from 2013 and that he hasn't contributed to the site since then. So I don't think that's the reason.
Oh well, guess I'm getting in the suspicious hackers list. It was nice getting medals with you guys but it's time to say goodbye... (lel).

I can't laugh because I'm on that list. The reason? I unlocked medals in games PhantasyReal didn't even play - He/she said that explicitly. I'm feeling like a small kid in line for picks for a basketball match :P Good thing that you, me and others know what a community is and help each other find those medals.

Speaking of:

Has broken medals - they are being awarded at the first game instead of the second:

I'm not surprised because I say it before in an older pair of games by @BanglaBoy96

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-04 14:54:55

Listen to me @Optimos and @SuperSapito

If it's an HTML5 game (including Unity games ported to HTML5 rather than Unity Web Player), and upon doing what should unlock a medal, the game either freezes or throws up an error similar to what I'd posted about "TypeError: NG.medals is undefined"

*OR*

If it's any game that gives connection errors (including Flash games in this case)

Then post about it in this thread here https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1426552 as it's likely Newgrounds' transition from HTTP to HTTPS which is breaking it, and Tom Fulp specifically wants you to post about it in that thread to bring it to his attention.

In particular if they're games you've played only extremely recently. And yes read through that thread. It will probably affect a ton of HTML5 games in particular, and especially older HTML5 games. From the other few games you've both posted after my posting, it's looking very much like they are good candidates for this. Read that thread and post accordingly. And keep what I've said in mind.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-04 17:14:41

At 10/4/17 02:54 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Listen to me @Optimos and @SuperSapito
(explanation)

Thanks for the heads up

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-08 14:22:43

This game is in the list of games with medals, but doesn't list any medals on it at all.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-11 05:35:48

At 10/8/17 02:22 PM, Fro wrote: This game is in the list of games with medals, but doesn't list any medals on it at all.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/644545

Are you sure? I haven't played that particular game, but there do exist games (or at least one game) that in fact has medals but no medals are listed on the game's page itself. But if you earn the medals they do appear on your profile.

^This game for example.

There also exist games for which you have to play other games to unlock the medals (rather than the game itself)

This game https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/576042 though it has no medals listed on its page, must be played in order to get all the medals in this game https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/568624

In these cases the medals are not considered broken as they can still be obtained, even if it's a bit weird.

----------------------

However they need to remove medals from games like for example this game https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/598087 as the game itself has been deleted (or at least that's the message you get) yet the medals remain on people's profiles and would not be obtainable by anyone who didn't already have them. At least not through any legitimate means.

So those medals not only are broken but should be removed entirely as the games have already been removed entirely.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-11 10:19:06

At 10/11/17 05:35 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Are you sure? I haven't played that particular game, but there do exist games (or at least one game) that in fact has medals but no medals are listed on the game's page itself. But if you earn the medals they do appear on your profile.

I'll play it to be sure, but how is someone to know how to obtain a medal without having the menu of medals available. This still seems to be an error that should be brought to attention is it not? Unless the medal menu shows up after you've obtained one, go to your page, and then click on a medal to see. Still needs attention in my opinion.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-11 17:16:32

At 10/11/17 10:19 AM, Fro wrote: I'll play it to be sure, but how is someone to know how to obtain a medal without having the menu of medals available. This still seems to be an error that should be brought to attention is it not? Unless the medal menu shows up after you've obtained one, go to your page, and then click on a medal to see. Still needs attention in my opinion.

Well I played that game you linked and I don't appear to have any medals from it, if there are any. That said, since the medals are essentially mystery medals at that point, it's entirely possible I just didn't do whatever thing was required to earn them. Or it's possible the game has no medals.

As for the game I linked, try it out. You do get one medal just for playing and there are four medals in total (though none displayed on the game's page itself). You can check your profile for the medals.

I just consider it like secret medals but even more secret. So secret you don't even know the game has medals until you earn them. If you find any other games like that do pass them my way because it's a quite rare thing and a bit of an oddity.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-04 14:45:16

There's this game which has a medal that I assume is broken: "The Big 500".
My guess is that it's unlocked by getting something special on the slot machine, but the last person to unlock it was in 2012.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-05 13:55:31

Hi,

I launched a new game on friday, and it seems that none of the medals and scores of my game work:

When testing it on debug mode local, I get this output (see attached image)

The API does load, and flash ads do work...

Any hint ?

Thank you in advance,
blairox

Official Broken Medals Thread

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-05 14:28:06

At 11/5/17 01:55 PM, blairox wrote: Hi,

I launched a new game on friday, and it seems that none of the medals and scores of my game work:

Let's mention @PsychoGoldfish here.
He's the expert :o

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-05 14:52:20

At 11/5/17 02:28 PM, Shantom wrote:
At 11/5/17 01:55 PM, blairox wrote: Hi,

Let's mention @PsychoGoldfish here.
He's the expert :o

OK, thanks, I'll get in touch.

I have the bad feeling that the medals in this game are broken. In the ordinary case after reaching the target of a medal an ingame popup should appear no matter if it is already unlocked or not. It doesn't happen when I play.

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-06 11:26:39

This game doesn't get past the intro animation. It freezes on the BigDino logo.
I tried it on Chrome and Firefox.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-06 17:10:19

At 11/6/17 11:26 AM, Optimos wrote: This game doesn't get past the intro animation. It freezes on the BigDino logo.
I tried it on Chrome and Firefox.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/602402

Thought this might be HTTPS related but it still freezes in HTTP mode, must be something on their end that no longer works. I've unpublished this.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-07 19:37:19

As one of the few people on here who has got medals working with Unity I can tell you it's not simple getting medals to work for the first time, The documentation for Unity is at best... confusing. I've even had 6 other developers contact me asking me to talk them through the process.

If you know what you're doing you can have a pretty good idea whether medals will unlock correctly but you don't actually KNOW until the game is published especially if it's your first time using APIs.

PLEASE contact devs if there are medal/leaderboard bugs but be civil and bare in mind that fixes can sometimes take time. Lots of the devs on here are doing this in their limited spare time for free. Saying fuck you repeatedly and giving 0 ratings and reviews from sock accounts before giving them a chance to fix things which I've experienced is a very good way to make me refuse to help you and for thinner skinned devs could result in them never trying to use medals again or even driving them off the site.

I'm on your side, just giving you the dev's perspective. Over the next couple of weeks I'll be producing a video tutorial showing how to implement medals/leaderboards so hopefully that will improve things on the Unity side here.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-09 10:28:24

At 11/7/17 07:37 PM, JimGiant wrote: As one of the few people on here who has got medals working with Unity I can tell you it's not simple getting medals to work for the first time, The documentation for Unity is at best... confusing. I've even had 6 other developers contact me asking me to talk them through the process.

Let me know if you have suggestions for changes / additions to parts of the documentation that might solve some of the common questions / confusion. We've been spread thin between API updates / documentation and site updates.

For anyone curious to see current docs: https://bitbucket.org/newgrounds/newgrounds.io-for-unity-c/

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-20 01:41:02

At 11/9/17 10:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/7/17 07:37 PM, JimGiant wrote: As one of the few people on here who has got medals working with Unity I can tell you it's not simple getting medals to work for the first time, The documentation for Unity is at best... confusing. I've even had 6 other developers contact me asking me to talk them through the process.
Let me know if you have suggestions for changes / additions to parts of the documentation that might solve some of the common questions / confusion. We've been spread thin between API updates / documentation and site updates.

For anyone curious to see current docs: https://bitbucket.org/newgrounds/newgrounds.io-for-unity-c/

Hi!

I have done this visual guide to help others with their first time implementation of the Unity API, I finished my project last week and wanted to share my experience with the API from a beginner's point of view. Hope it helps!

Any feedback on it would be awesome!

https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/2bf305cd7060b61aa20df673e0718069

Regards,
Albert

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-20 05:23:06

At 11/20/17 01:41 AM, GeckoMLA19097 wrote:
At 11/9/17 10:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Hi!

I have done this visual guide to help others with their first time implementation of the Unity API, I finished my project last week and wanted to share my experience with the API from a beginner's point of view. Hope it helps!

Regards,
Albert

Hey not bad! Off the top of my head I'd rather use a reference to the NGhelper rather than finding it every time and I'd have included something about saving and resubmitting all the score and medal data so players don't lose out if there is a problem such as their internet connection cutting out while playing.

Anyway this has got a little off topic, why not create a new thread in the programming forum?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-11-20 09:20:59

At 11/20/17 01:41 AM, GeckoMLA19097 wrote: I have done this visual guide to help others with their first time implementation of the Unity API, I finished my project last week and wanted to share my experience with the API from a beginner's point of view. Hope it helps!

Regards,
Albert

This looks handy! I've given Josh the heads up that we should host / link this on newgrounds.io as an additional guide.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-12-07 12:36:28

At 12/6/17 05:06 PM, RightTime wrote: I tried playing this game on a few browsers and couldn't get any of the medals to unlock after I fulfilled their requirements.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/669981

Thanks for report, I tried it and indeed there seems to be a problem with medals. I'll try to get in touch with the author and check one more thing.

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-12-07 13:37:38

At 12/6/17 05:06 PM, RightTime wrote: I tried playing this game on a few browsers and couldn't get any of the medals to unlock after I fulfilled their requirements.

The medals do work now thanks to one important modification done by @Exedor.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-12-07 18:03:05

At 12/7/17 01:37 PM, HerbieG wrote:
The medals do work now thanks to one important modification done by @Exedor.

Great job. Glad the medals are working again.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-12-07 20:13:30

At 12/7/17 07:55 PM, RightTime wrote: Here's another game where the medals don't seem to be working since the last update. Medal unlocks abruptly stop on September 26th.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/697708
Same thing for this jupitron game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/690371

Did you fulfill the requirements for the medals in both games? Especially Jupitron's games sometimes are weird in this matter.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-12-07 23:07:06

"Circus Saved" medal in this game seems to be broken. I beat the final level ("desafio final") twice, refreshed the page and beat it a third time, and the medal was never unlocked. The rest of the medals work properly.