00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

119,518 Views | 1,305 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-18 16:27:20

@Fioresa @Glamdrung - wanna feel even more trolled? MrUnecht apparently removed the Life of a Developer.
I wasted so much time... during those weeks I could earn whole 10 points in the Space Manager!

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-18 18:56:13

At 12/18/16 04:27 PM, HerbieG wrote: @Fioresa @Glamdrung - wanna feel even more trolled? MrUnecht apparently removed the Life of a Developer.
I wasted so much time... during those weeks I could earn whole 10 points in the Space Manager!

At least, the medal was removed, correct? Better late than never.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-19 22:51:57

At 12/18/16 04:27 PM, HerbieG wrote: @Fioresa @Glamdrung - wanna feel even more trolled? MrUnecht apparently removed the Life of a Developer.

well that just blows....

At 12/19/16 10:51 PM, Fioresa wrote:
well that just blows....

Something will blow you even more: his game is still on Kongregate and in opposite to Newgrounds he reworked the game and uploaded the reworked version on Kongregate. There is even another version of this game there. @MrUnecht - a bit of a shame that you didn't care about updating the game on Newgrounds and you just removed it without any notice.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/mrunecht/the-life-of-a-developer-alpha-version
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrUnecht/the-life-of-a-developer

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-20 22:20:36

At 12/20/16 07:42 PM, HerbieG wrote:
At 12/19/16 10:51 PM, Fioresa wrote:
well that just blows....
Something will blow you even more: his game is still on Kongregate and in opposite to Newgrounds he reworked the game and uploaded the reworked version on Kongregate. There is even another version of this game there. @MrUnecht - a bit of a shame that you didn't care about updating the game on Newgrounds and you just removed it without any notice.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/mrunecht/the-life-of-a-developer-alpha-version
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrUnecht/the-life-of-a-developer

well that is his choice. It is his creation and he can do what he wants with it :)
wish i didn't waste the time I did, but hey, I respect the right of anyone to do whatever they like with their creations.

If he was to upload an updated version here, i'd probably play it again lol.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-22 15:41:12

Something to check, not easy though, because almost all medals are secret:

Last medals were unlocked over a year ago. I started playing it and solved some of the puzzles, but nothing unlocked for me.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-23 21:23:59

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-24 08:40:13

@Shantom - did you do anything? For months I couldn't unlock a single medal in the game I mentioned above, today - they started working.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-24 11:32:11

I wanted to test the other game before I respond :p

At 12/22/16 03:41 PM, HerbieG wrote: Something to check, not easy though, because almost all medals are secret:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/624175
Last medals were unlocked over a year ago. I started playing it and solved some of the puzzles, but nothing unlocked for me.

Needs testing. I'm not sure.

At 12/24/16 08:40 AM, HerbieG wrote: @Shantom - did you do anything? For months I couldn't unlock a single medal in the game I mentioned above, today - they started working.

Nope!
I just played the game and got the first medal.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2016-12-29 00:06:57

@Shantom sorry about going off topic, but who made your profile picture? I really like the style

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-10 20:57:03

At 12/29/16 12:05 AM, NightRaid-NG wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/685393
A bunch of these aren't working

All medals work in that game.

But, because that game takes a long time to earn all medals, you're likely running into the whole medals API timeout thing.

Simply put, play the game again, from the start, except save your game prior to earning any medal, then reload the browser, then earn the medal and it'll work.

You have to do this with literally tons of games and none of them are considered broken. I mean it's kind of crappy you have to go back and replay stuff because the game author didn't have the foresight to include some sync medals functionality in their games, but so it goes.

Actual broken medals are those which are not possible to earn -- at all -- (without cheating), and not simply those which either sometimes don't award (but will on another playthrough) and/or require the save game reload browser earn medal workaround.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-10 22:12:57

At 1/10/17 08:57 PM, NeonSpider wrote:

Thanks for the help

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-11 00:06:54

At 1/10/17 10:12 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 1/10/17 08:57 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
Thanks for the help

Also depending on the game you may or may not need to clear your cache first before having another go at it (and keeping in mind to save game, reload page, resume game, earn medal, repeat for all medals)

I'm not sure if you need to do that in that particular game or not. But I do know it took me a few go arounds.

Also yeah it's really useful to know that technique since it affects a lot of games, and particularly those that take a very long time to earn medals on.

No problem, man.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-11 22:15:08

At 12/29/16 12:05 AM, NightRaid-NG wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/573633
Only the first one is working

The medals I haven't ever been able to get are the Hunter and I Love NY ones.

At 1/11/17 12:06 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Also depending on the game you may or may not need to clear your cache first before having another go at it (and keeping in mind to save game, reload page, resume game, earn medal, repeat for all medals)

With this being said, next time I get around to playing that game, I'll have to remember to save the game and clear my cache. Maybe that'll fix my problem.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-11 23:26:49

At 1/11/17 10:15 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: With this being said, next time I get around to playing that game, I'll have to remember to save the game and clear my cache. Maybe that'll fix my problem.

Specifically, the order is ...

1) Clear Cache.
2) Shutdown then restart browser (just to be sure)
3) Play the game all over again from the start, but ...
4) ... right before you are to earn a medal, save the game, then reload the page (F5 or by clicking appropriate browser buttons)
5) Reload from your save
6) Now do whatever remains to earn the medal

Also in some games you may have to wait up to 2 to 5 minutes after you earn a medal in-game before it'll actually award on-profile, for some reason.

Yeah it's all a big nuisance, but this is what you should do for any game which takes a long time to earn medals *and* which also provides a save game feature of sorts. That way you bypass the medals API timeout issue.

Now, with all that being said, there is still the nasty problem of games which suffer the medals API timeout issue but which *do not* have any means to save or resume play. In this case you're more SOL, but if you can do whatever the achievement is faster, there's a chance you might earn the medal, although in some cases it's just impossible.

Just general advice applicable to all Newgrounds medals games.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-14 06:00:26

This game should be checked:

It looks like the author did not put much effort in ensuring that all the medals will work...

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-14 22:42:29

Forgotten Hills: Surgery.

Completed the entire game. Received all except the "Treasure hunter" medal which I did not complete the requirements to unlock it. Then realised upon finishing that the medals did not unlock.

It's a long game and it's pretty disappointing after spending the time to unlock the medals only to see that it didn't.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-15 05:03:38

I have a hunch none of the medals in this game work.

I can confirm at the very least that both "Beat Weedman" and "Beat Weedman SO SLOW" do not work.

It's a very hard game so it's difficult to even meet requirements of medals, but I beat the game on normal mode -- no medal awarded. I refreshed the page and beat the game on SO SLOW mode -- no medal awarded.

Also "Beat Weedman With A Friend" is never going to be possible, even if the other medals are fixed, because you need to go to a certain spot and wait for a code to appear, which you then give to your friend (or vica-versa) so one of you can enter the code to appear in-game with the other one (nevermind you'd have to coordinate this to be played at the same time and somehow both have mad skills). But this code never appears because whatever sort of connection this thing is trying to make never actually happens. So even if it's highly unlikely any two people with sufficient skill would coordinate it to actually play and beat this game at the same time in a co-op mode, the connection never happens, no codes are given, so it's actually impossible to invite anyone into your game.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-20 19:14:50

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-21 15:58:45

At 12/29/16 12:06 AM, NightRaid-NG wrote: @Shantom sorry about going off topic, but who made your profile picture? I really like the style

You'll find the link in the description :o

At 1/14/17 06:00 AM, HerbieG wrote: This game should be checked:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/684904
It looks like the author did not put much effort in ensuring that all the medals will work...

Will check it out and PM the author.

At 1/14/17 10:42 PM, ChihiroSen wrote: Forgotten Hills: Surgery.

It seems that the author has updated the game on 9/1/2017. No one earned Any medal for 2 weeks. Will PM him.
Thanks!

At 1/15/17 05:03 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/621157
I have a hunch none of the medals in this game work.

Yeah seems like it. I will give it a try then remove the medals.

At 1/20/17 07:14 PM, HerbieG wrote: A game with broken medals:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/586369

Actually.. they work by playing a different game ^^

This case is one of a kind.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-21 19:28:01

Not broken medals, but I do think relevant to this topic is the problem of game authors who constantly delete the medals and then recreate them in their games. And thus you have to keep earning those same medals over and over again, only to find sometime later you have to do that yet again.

I'm primarily talking about you @NightRaid-NG

I don't know what you're doing, but cut it out! If you want to update games, you don't have to completely delete all the medals to do so. I assume you're uploading new versions and everytime you upload a new version you're just deleting all the medals and then recreating all the medals and forcing everyone to keep re-getting all those medals.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one-off but I notice this consistently happens, and quite frequently too. This is at least the third or fourth time I've gone through and, surprise surprise, all medals from any of your games are removed and if I want those medals I have to re-get them yet again.

If you're going to do that then just don't even have medals in your games. It's incredibly rude to the people who earned them.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-21 19:36:14

At 1/21/17 03:58 PM, Shantom wrote:
At 1/20/17 07:14 PM, HerbieG wrote: A game with broken medals:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/586369
Actually.. they work by playing a different game ^^
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/582570
This case is one of a kind.

Actually, it's not the only case of that happening.

To get all of the medals in this game

You play this game

So there are at least two cases of this "play this other game to get medals in this game"

In this case, you can get some, but not all, medals in that first game by playing the first game, or you can get all the medals in that first game by playing the second game.

It pays to read through the comments people post because I wouldn't have known about this otherwise, myself.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-21 19:49:02

At 1/21/17 07:28 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Not broken medals, but I do think relevant to this topic is the problem of game authors who constantly delete the medals and then recreate them in their games. And thus you have to keep earning those same medals over and over again, only to find sometime later you have to do that yet again.

I'm primarily talking about you @NightRaid-NG

I don't know what you're doing, but cut it out! If you want to update games, you don't have to completely delete all the medals to do so. I assume you're uploading new versions and everytime you upload a new version you're just deleting all the medals and then recreating all the medals and forcing everyone to keep re-getting all those medals.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one-off but I notice this consistently happens, and quite frequently too. This is at least the third or fourth time I've gone through and, surprise surprise, all medals from any of your games are removed and if I want those medals I have to re-get them yet again.

If you're going to do that then just don't even have medals in your games. It's incredibly rude to the people who earned them.

What can I say? I totally agree and support your statement. At some point I was even suspecting that maybe those medals are being considered as spam-like and therefore abusive for the medal system and were deleted by Moderators ;-)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-21 19:51:44

At 1/21/17 07:28 PM, NeonSpider wrote:

I'm not deleting them. The mods keep taking them off :/

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-22 16:22:54

At 1/21/17 07:51 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:

Does that mean you are not going to add medals to any of your games?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-22 16:25:05

At 1/22/17 04:22 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

No. It just means, I need to be careful with how I use medals so I'll be following the rules

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-22 17:44:43

At 1/22/17 04:25 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 1/22/17 04:22 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
No. It just means, I need to be careful with how I use medals so I'll be following the rules

Okay. I have to admit, I hate when I earn a medal and it vanishes. It has happened so often in the past. It can drive you crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-23 07:23:10

At 1/15/17 05:03 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/621157
I can confirm at the very least that both "Beat Weedman" and "Beat Weedman SO SLOW" do not work.

Hmm.. "Beat Weedman" worked for me ^^
I didn't try the other medals but I'm guessing they work.

Also "Beat Weedman With A Friend"

Removed it.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-01-23 10:10:35