00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

119,588 Views | 1,305 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 12:30:32

At 8/9/17 12:11 PM, HerbieG wrote: Could you try and grind your today's score up to 100K?

Only when I know if the Not Bad medal still works because the message for unlocking it is still missing.

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 12:34:55

At 8/9/17 12:30 PM, PhantasyReal wrote:
At 8/9/17 12:11 PM, HerbieG wrote: Could you try and grind your today's score up to 100K?
Only when I know if the Not Bad medal still works because the message for unlocking it is still missing.

Ok, hold on, I PMed the author anyway, he is checking it right now.

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 12:59:19

At 8/9/17 12:11 PM, HerbieG wrote: I got a theory about this, there are some games with such an idiotic setting on NG and this may be the case.
Could you try and grind your today's score up to 100K? Because it is possible that the game is reading the today's score instead of the all-time score to unlock the medal. I will tag @Optimos here since it looks like he is also grinding this medal now. If he will also fail to do it with all-time score I'll PM the author.

I'm seeing that fuckoffasshole unlocked it, but I'm also seeing that he reached the 100k mark ONLY today. So you must be right, the medal is unlocked by getting the 100k score as today's score instead of all-time score. I was trying to get that medal too but since this is happening, I guess I'll wait until the author fixes it.

At 8/9/17 12:59 PM, Optimos wrote: I'm seeing that fuckoffasshole unlocked it, but I'm also seeing that he reached the 100k mark ONLY today. So you must be right, the medal is unlocked by getting the 100k score as today's score instead of all-time score. I was trying to get that medal too but since this is happening, I guess I'll wait until the author fixes it.

There are 4 hours between the unlocks. This means he wasn't playing the game and used an automatization for restarting. You get around 400 points per minute (maybe a bit more) without moving, 100k : 400 : 60 = 4.1 hours. Playing the game will take around 2 to 2 1/2 hours to reach 100k. Furthermore he commented below that the game is not '..not really worth my time.' I don't think we should use confirmed cheaters as a proof that a medal works in a specific way. This caused confusion with Alexil and it will also cause confusion with him.

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 13:57:25

At 8/9/17 01:26 PM, PhantasyReal wrote: There are 4 hours between the unlocks. This means he wasn't playing the game and used an automatization for restarting. You get a bit more than 400 points per minute without moving, 100k : 400 : 60 = 4.1 hours. Furthermore he commented below that the game is not '..not really worth my time.' I don't think we should use confirmed cheaters as a proof that a medal works in a specific way. This caused confusion with Alexil and it will also cause confusion with him.

Well, if the medal is unlocked with today's score it doesn't matter if you use an automatization or not. That's another topic. And since he got all the 100k points today (in 3-4 hours as you've said) and got the medal, and you did it in different days and didn't unlock it, it most likely is because the author set up the requirement as today score only.
Anyway, let's wait until the author informs HerbieG about changing it or something.

At 8/9/17 01:57 PM, Optimos wrote: Well, if the medal is unlocked with today's score it doesn't matter if you use an automatization or not.

If it was unlocked with today's score and not just by a cheat engine after it didn't work. Those kind of people tend to use an illegitimate way to unlock respective achievements when they just think they deserve them because they got the necessary objective. No matter if no one else can unlock it fair. And the automatization is already a good indication that something is fishy.

<3

At 8/9/17 02:06 PM, PhantasyReal wrote: If it was unlocked with today's score and not just by a cheat engine after it didn't work. Those kind of people tend to use an illegitimate way to unlock respective achievements when they just think they deserve them because they got the necessary objective. No matter if no one else can unlock it fair. And the automatization is already a good indication that something is fishy.

If that was the case then he could have ALL the existing medals on Newgrounds. Also if the medal was broken he wouldn't have been able to unlock it, no matter what he did with that cheat engine.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 19:15:29

Won't go past the Funky Pear logo screen. Both mute buttons at corner work as do the link to the Funky Pear site, but it's just stuck there. So, every medal is broken

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 19:28:39

At 8/9/17 03:39 PM, Optimos wrote:
At 8/9/17 02:06 PM, PhantasyReal wrote: If it was unlocked with today's score and not just by a cheat engine after it didn't work. Those kind of people tend to use an illegitimate way to unlock respective achievements when they just think they deserve them because they got the necessary objective. No matter if no one else can unlock it fair. And the automatization is already a good indication that something is fishy.
If that was the case then he could have ALL the existing medals on Newgrounds. Also if the medal was broken he wouldn't have been able to unlock it, no matter what he did with that cheat engine.

It depends on "How" the medal if broken, for example, some developers might make a mistake in the condition that unlocks a medal, making it always false, in a case like this, a cheater can make it true, because he can manipulate variables, inject code at runtime etc.

I can't say if it's possible to unlock all the medals on Newgrounds by cheating (remember, there are three kinds of games : Flash, HTML5 and Unity Webgl), but It's possible to unlock at least 95% of them.

a few years ago, I did an extensive research on the subject, plus some experiments on some games and applications (Steam games, a few flash games etc., I've even contacted Hybrid-Of-Souls about that), after that, I created a Newgrounds Alt, to continue my experiments without cheating on my main account, so if you have any questions on the subject of cheating, feel free to ask.

signature:show();

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 19:58:06

At 8/9/17 07:28 PM, RedN wrote: It depends on "How" the medal if broken, for example, some developers might make a mistake in the condition that unlocks a medal, making it always false, in a case like this, a cheater can make it true, because he can manipulate variables, inject code at runtime etc.

Oh, I thought if a medal was broken it was 100% broken. It's cool to know that, thanks.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-10 21:40:59

At 8/9/17 03:39 PM, Optimos wrote:

My thoughs exactly. Anyone can hack anything in their own machines but to hack the linking between the games and NG is a complete different matter. If a medal is broken (unachievable) it is broken for everyone.

As for cheating, I don't think automation counts - personal opinion here, as long as the code isn't altered, anything is valid. Even paying someone else to unlock stuff for ya, or turbo controllers and autoclickers. It's up to devs to foresee actions that can be automated and adapt them properly. Who won't remember the "Lete river" trick on FF6? Sure, it backfired as esper bonuses wouldn't be gained, but still.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-10 21:45:40

At 8/9/17 07:28 PM, RedN wrote:
It depends on "How" the medal if broken, for example, some developers might make a mistake in the condition that unlocks a medal, making it always false, in a case like this, a cheater can make it true, because he can manipulate variables, inject code at runtime etc.

You are correct... I didn't think about that. But that's partly developer fault, too. There's a lot of people who immediately play the game (or at least as soon as it hits FP...) and can see medals that are broken. I take it that at least ONE of them would contact the dev as soon as a broken medal is detected, or else, do it on a review.

I'm not a dev myself but I think no one "sub & hide" so they got to read these and do the fixes. If they don't, then it is their fault too.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-21 11:36:33

There are 2 medals in this game that I can't unlock

'End', I completed the 12th Professional level which is the last level but the medal won't trigger.
And 'Ranked' which I guess is by submitting your score but the connection to the server doesn't work anymore, as it is an old game.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-21 14:05:22

At 8/21/17 11:36 AM, Optimos wrote: There are 2 medals in this game that I can't unlock
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/595263
'End', I completed the 12th Professional level which is the last level but the medal won't trigger.
And 'Ranked' which I guess is by submitting your score but the connection to the server doesn't work anymore, as it is an old game.

The "ranked" medal seems to be broken indeed. As for the "end" I remember that it unlocked for me without any problems, but after reloading the page - or my memory is malfunctioning. Did you try the usual methods to deal with it? Reloading the page and replaying one of the levels? Try to do it with the first and with the last one.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-21 14:36:59

At 8/21/17 02:05 PM, HerbieG wrote:
The "ranked" medal seems to be broken indeed. As for the "end" I remember that it unlocked for me without any problems, but after reloading the page - or my memory is malfunctioning. Did you try the usual methods to deal with it? Reloading the page and replaying one of the levels? Try to do it with the first and with the last one.

I refreshed the page, replayed the first and last level of both Amateur and Professional but nothing happens.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-21 16:38:34

At 8/21/17 02:36 PM, Optimos wrote:
At 8/21/17 02:05 PM, HerbieG wrote:
I refreshed the page, replayed the first and last level of both Amateur and Professional but nothing happens.

I just used a test account to check it, luckily I haven't deleted the cookies related to this game, and all the levels-based medals are working. I'll leave the "end" medal on it temporarily till tomorrow so you can check it. Apparently the game screwed you a bit. Did the medal pop up for you, but did not register or it did not pop up at all?

At 8/21/17 04:38 PM, HerbieG wrote:
I just used a test account to check it, luckily I haven't deleted the cookies related to this game, and all the levels-based medals are working. I'll leave the "end" medal on it temporarily till tomorrow so you can check it. Apparently the game screwed you a bit. Did the medal pop up for you, but did not register or it did not pop up at all?

Nothing shows up. No medal pop up, no medal unlock, nothing. Do you get the pop up right after you put the ball in the hole, or when you go back to the menu?
Also maybe it has something to do with the score. What total score do you have in both Amateur and Professional?
I refuse to think that it just magically doesn't want to unlock, since I unlocked all the other medals (except 'Ranked', obviously).

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-21 17:18:23

At 8/21/17 05:13 PM, Optimos wrote:
At 8/21/17 04:38 PM, HerbieG wrote:
Nothing shows up. No medal pop up, no medal unlock, nothing. Do you get the pop up right after you put the ball in the hole, or when you go back to the menu?
Also maybe it has something to do with the score. What total score do you have in both Amateur and Professional?
I refuse to think that it just magically doesn't want to unlock, since I unlocked all the other medals (except 'Ranked', obviously).

But the other medals were popping up? For me they all unlocked at once after I finished the first level again and they all popped up.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-21 17:35:52

At 8/21/17 05:18 PM, HerbieG wrote:
But the other medals were popping up? For me they all unlocked at once after I finished the first level again and they all popped up.

I can't remember honestly. I just tried it on Firefox (it's an empty savefile since I use Chrome) and made a Hole in one in the first level and no pop up showed up so I guess there are no pop ups. Or maybe the game recognizes that I have the medal so it doesn't show the pop up. Or maybe the game is just f*cking trolling me.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-24 20:18:36

I'm gonna go ahead and call it. Happy Clock Day medal is broken. I played the game consecutively every day from 8/15 through 8/24 and it's never unlocked. Last anyone has unlocked the medal was back in 2013.

I believe the Trick or Treat medal is also likely broken, but I won't be able to test that until closer to Halloween and the first few days into November, unless someone can confirm it's broken.

Very annoying when these one-day-out-of-the-year medals are broken like that.

Also does anyone know how to get 2012 Tank Awards medal? Last anyone obtained that was in 2014 but since I have no idea how to unlock that one, it's very possible that one's not broken and works fine.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-09-01 04:02:46

Most of the medals in this game are either broken or have very incorrect information as to how to obtain them. Also it should be noted the vast majority of medals are obtained only by game author, with exceptions being maybe one or two other people on a couple other medals.

The only medal which seems to actually unlock is The Collector, though not by doing what the medal says, but just by playing through a few levels in easy mode survival or at least it unlocked for me after beating about 5 or 6 levels in while playing easy mode on survival.

This is also the only medal which most people seem to have.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-09-01 08:06:51

At 9/1/17 04:02 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619022
The only medal which seems to actually unlock is The Collector, though not by doing what the medal says, but just by playing through a few levels in easy mode survival or at least it unlocked for me after beating about 5 or 6 levels in while playing easy mode on survival.

So far I can confirm that this medal really works like this. Requirements for which other medals did you fulfill?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-09-01 20:30:16

At 9/1/17 08:06 AM, HerbieG wrote:
At 9/1/17 04:02 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619022

So far I can confirm that this medal really works like this. Requirements for which other medals did you fulfill?

As the medal descriptions are written, I should have First Blood, Mild Hate, Gotta Go Fast, and Gonna See Some Serious Hate.

Hate Rising and I Hate This Game were not attempted (complete all survival levels on medium and hard modes, respectively) as the easy mode equivalent obviously did not unlock.

Artist and This Is A Secret medals obviously are secret medals and unknown how to obtain so they may be okay or they may be bugged. Only game author has Artist. Cyberdemonio managed to obtain This Is A Secret at some point back in 2014, so perhaps he knows the trick to that one, if there is a trick.

The only other medal that anyone other than game author has is First Blood, unlocked by both PulseLane and Cyberdemonio back in 2014. However this medal did not unlock for me, based on the medal description.

It is possible maybe some of the medals unlock in other random ways, though the medal descriptions are provably false. Even in the case of the one medal which does unlock, The Collector, it still doesn't unlock the way it says it does but instead via playing about half the levels on easy survival.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-09-02 11:50:04

At 9/1/17 08:30 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 9/1/17 08:06 AM, HerbieG wrote:
At 9/1/17 04:02 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
It is possible maybe some of the medals unlock in other random ways, though the medal descriptions are provably false. Even in the case of the one medal which does unlock, The Collector, it still doesn't unlock the way it says it does but instead via playing about half the levels on easy survival.

Unfortunately I'm afraid I got some bad news. I tried playing this game on different difficulties, on different modes and after passing few levels the game tells you that you unlocked a medal, it is even showing a symbol of it, but it never registers on the account. I found the contact data to the author and sent him a message, but I'm afraid that nothing will be fixed here. The game is unlocking the wrong in-game medals for wrong achievements and it never gives you the NG medals except the one we earned recently. A total FUBAR.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-09-17 12:59:25

I saw in MGS that the game 'Build a snowman' had 3 hidden medals. I've completed the 30 levels and got to the ending credits but it didn't reward me one of them, which says to complete the game. Maybe it's because I didn't stay till the end of the credits but I'll leave it here anyways.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-02 01:49:57

At 9/17/17 12:59 PM, Optimos wrote: I saw in MGS that the game 'Build a snowman' had 3 hidden medals. I've completed the 30 levels and got to the ending credits but it didn't reward me one of them, which says to complete the game. Maybe it's because I didn't stay till the end of the credits but I'll leave it here anyways.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/615762

Actually I wasn't able to get to the third world in that game, as beating the final stage of the 2nd world merely freezes the game there and you can't advance or anything. The review I'd made was before I'd gotten that far, as the game indeed did work mostly fine up until that point.

Also you're probably the only person who wasn't affected by that freezing after beating second world bug seeing as how you actually managed two more medals (which I was pretty sure existed anyway)

===================

All medals in this game are now broken. If you earn any medal at all, rather than being awarded your medal, the game will freeze and you will be presented with this error

The page at https://uploads.ungrounded.net says:

An error occured running the Unity content on this page. See your browser's JavaScript console for more info. The error was:
TypeError: NG.medals is undefined

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-02 09:21:43

At 10/2/17 01:49 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Actually I wasn't able to get to the third world in that game, as beating the final stage of the 2nd world merely freezes the game there and you can't advance or anything. The review I'd made was before I'd gotten that far, as the game indeed did work mostly fine up until that point.

Also you're probably the only person who wasn't affected by that freezing after beating second world bug seeing as how you actually managed two more medals (which I was pretty sure existed anyway)

I remember playing the game years ago (probably 2015) and I did get to the third world (didn't beat it tho) without experiencing any freezing problem. The problem back then was that the game only rewarded me the medal for the first level, and since at that time I didn't really care about medals I just moved on.

btw I want to say that I beat the game again some days ago (and again, not a single freezing problem) and I didn't get the medal for completing the game either. And it does exist, or so it says in MGS ("Master of Snowmans" "Complete game, you will be Master of Snowmans!"). So I conclude that it IS broken.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-02 20:06:41

At 10/2/17 09:21 AM, Optimos wrote: btw I want to say that I beat the game again some days ago (and again, not a single freezing problem) and I didn't get the medal for completing the game either. And it does exist, or so it says in MGS ("Master of Snowmans" "Complete game, you will be Master of Snowmans!"). So I conclude that it IS broken.

You're probably the only person for whom the game hasn't frozen after the second world, as evidenced by you're the only person to have those final two medals. Though if the game allowed you to get that far in the past but merely didn't award a medal previously, perhaps the same thing is happening with that final medal? Pain in the butt as it is to get through, could you try to fully complete out the game one or two more times to see if it maybe awards for you??

=========================

This game is now fixed. Incidentally, if anyone finds any HTML5 games (including Unity games ported to HTML5) which either freeze upon earning a medal or throw up an error message similar to what I'd posted for this game, alert Tom Fulp of the issue as it's probably due to the site's change from HTTP to HTTPS and some HTML5 games now break as they use older medals APIs.

Yes it would be easier if he'd just go through all HTML5 medals games older than a certain time period and just do them all, but he told me to report any games like this to him. It'll probably affect tons of games.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-03 03:05:50

Broken medal on "Lost Catacombs"

Medal name: "Level Designer". Level editor doesn't save anything (gives connection error and whatnot everytime).

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-10-03 09:57:26

At 10/2/17 08:06 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
You're probably the only person for whom the game hasn't frozen after the second world, as evidenced by you're the only person to have those final two medals. Though if the game allowed you to get that far in the past but merely didn't award a medal previously, perhaps the same thing is happening with that final medal? Pain in the butt as it is to get through, could you try to fully complete out the game one or two more times to see if it maybe awards for you??

I've thought that too, maybe it's happening the same as happened in 2015. We all can agree that the game is ridiculously buggy in that aspect (freezing stuff, medals not awarded...). But again, I've beaten the whole game twice. The first time I didn't stay until the end of the credits and just returned to the menu. The second time I did wait some minutes, returned to the menu but nope, no medal unlocked either. So I don't really think that beating the game for the 3rd time will award me the medal. But maybe if I'm bored some day I will try.