00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

hbag just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

435,885 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 11:47:23

My tshirt beats your tshirt.

It's not exactly this, but I couldn't find where I got it from. Mine's a bit better quality and stuff. But the same idea and such

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 13:40:30

At 8/31/10 06:54 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 8/30/10 11:37 PM, Makeshift wrote: My shirt is better than yours.
Oh really?

ha! The graphic on mine is way bigger... and it doesn't have a gross stain.

At 8/31/10 11:47 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: My tshirt beats your tshirt.

yeah... it does.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 14:33:39

So I was going to see Scott Pilgrim vs The World tomorrow, but it's being taken out of theaters... tomorrow.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 15:30:04

At 8/31/10 02:33 PM, Makeshift wrote: So I was going to see Scott Pilgrim vs The World tomorrow, but it's being taken out of theaters... tomorrow.

Yeah, there were rumours that it would be released on DVD/Blu-Ray in October, which would be pretty fucking quick. I'm guessing so the studios can make some money back quick. If I'm correct, it only stayed in the US Top 10 for two weeks.

I saw it on the weekend and as a fan of the books, I totally loved it. They did almost everything right. That said, I wish they had more scenes with Kim - although, they'll probably be on the DVD.

But yeah, the film is fantastic, I'm totally buying it on release. It probably has more nods and winks to geeky shit then Shaun of the Dead.

8.5/10

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 17:02:03

At 8/31/10 02:33 PM, Makeshift wrote: So I was going to see Scott Pilgrim vs The World tomorrow, but it's being taken out of theaters... tomorrow.

I heard it's flopping at the box office. They spent 60 million on making the movie and I believe it hasn't even brought in 30 million yet. Could be why they decided to take it out of the cinemas so quickly.

I believe it's yet to be released in Europe and other countries outside of the USA, UK and Russia though. It premieres on September 16th here.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 20:04:59

Most recently in my recent foreign film indulgences is the critically honored classic 'Oldboy'. Let me tell you that this film is unlike anything you will have ever seen and may ever see again. Not only is it brilliantly captured on the screen but it's exceptionally acted. My only issue with the acting was that the translation has voice actors dubbing instead of subs. This is a minor nuisance on my part but may ruin some parts for others. The important thing though is the experience. It was a little diluted for me because I already knew the big twist. However, this did not diminish my love for the film and only proves that this is a movie that can be watched multiple times.

If you want to see a movie that delves into unknown and controversial waters and does so brilliantly then 'Oldboy' is really a movie you have to see.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 20:33:57

At 8/31/10 08:04 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: If you want to see a movie that delves into unknown and controversial waters and does so brilliantly then 'Oldboy' is really a movie you have to see.

Oldboy is top of my list of films to see. In general.
I can watch it free on Lovefilm player, but until I buy a cable to link my PC to my TV I'm not going to bother with that as I can't watch things sat at my PC. My hand has to grab the mouse and start playing minesweeper.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 20:51:28

At 8/31/10 05:02 PM, Auz wrote: I heard it's flopping at the box office.

It's what I've heard (and seen on IMDb). It's very upsetting because the movie seems to be highly praised, and everyone I know has gone to see it. I will be that one guy who missed that awesome movie. Oh well, I have other ways of seeing it...

our post counts are awfully close...

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 20:53:29

At 8/31/10 08:51 PM, Makeshift wrote: Oh well, I have other ways of seeing it...

And I'm talking local theater in a couple of weeks, so we're clear on that.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 22:43:41

Just watched Tokyo Godfathers, pretty damned good. Loved the characters, the believability, the depth of their stories, their unique quirks. Loved the animation, especialy Hana's furious rage in the hospital was a charm to watch and I would happily go back and watch it on slowmo again just to see every frame and watch the face contort.

R.I.P. Satoshi Kon.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-01 00:07:15

At 8/31/10 10:43 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Just watched Tokyo Godfathers

I loved that film. I remember watching it on Ovation on a slow day and just being absorbed. It was my first experience seeing a Satoshi Kon film and it was on a plane all by itself. The plot is so moving and believable and the characters all have a brilliantly fleshed out story to them.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-01 15:57:56

I watched The Prestige last night and I loved it. I feel like watching it again, but I'm also thinking The Illusionist might be good.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-01 16:18:54

At 8/31/10 08:51 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 8/31/10 05:02 PM, Auz wrote: I heard it's flopping at the box office.
It's what I've heard (and seen on IMDb). It's very upsetting because the movie seems to be highly praised, and everyone I know has gone to see it. I will be that one guy who missed that awesome movie. Oh well, I have other ways of seeing it...

Yeah I found it peculiar, but I thought that the movie is perhaps aiming at an audience that's too small. I heard most of the video game references are from older games and it seems to have this retro, comic, geeky style. I guess maybe that only appeals to people of our age group. I can not imagine my parents would want to see it, or my younger brother who doesn't give a shit about video games.

our post counts are awfully close...

It's equal now lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-01 23:29:33

Latest in my Netfilx movie orgy is Black Dynamite.

This movie was hilarious in my opinion and if you enjoy crazy off the wall films it's definitely worth watching.

I also think Michael Jai White did a great job with this film.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-02 12:58:18

LOVED Inception. It reminded me a bit of Paprika, especially the scene with Joseph Gordon Levitt in that long hallway with the elevators. striking resemblance to a certain scene from that movie.

Kickass was pretty cool. And Avatar was pretty good (despite Sam Worthington), though way too many people love this movie too much.

I also watched Ip Man 2. I was all excited to see Sammo Hung in this until the fight scene with him and Donnie Yen came up and it was full of VERY awkward wire moves that looked ridiculous. It still had some coolness in it, though. But the first one is so much better.

At 8/23/10 03:58 PM, Jack wrote: Brother (Kitano)

Brother is pretty good. I have that on DVD.

I was also looking at some Shaw Brother films which going REALLY cheap. Very tempting.

For Shaw Brothers movies, I recommend the 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Crippled Avengers, and Five Deadly Venoms.

At 8/20/10 02:24 PM, Auz wrote: Yeah they already started fucking the series up with the second one.

Yup, yet I thought it was so cool when I was like 8 years old.

This is the cover they used.

wow. That's uh...pretty lame.

At 8/21/10 12:04 PM, Ptero wrote: I just noticed there are 121 movies in my Netflix Queue. Haha, that's going to take me forever.

I have 440, though that includes several tv shows and some movies I'll probably end up removing without watching.

At 8/22/10 03:17 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I saw the remake of I Spit on Your Grave a few days ago and it was quite a unique experience. I decided to write a review. A strong stomach is definitely required for viewing.

Does this one also include a painfully long rape scene at the beginning and a guy getting his wang cut off at the end?

At 8/28/10 08:55 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I just got done watching 'Mongol' and I have to say it was truly epic.

awesome movie

At 8/29/10 08:31 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: So I finally got around to watching 'Rashomon' today

Yet another one that's been sitting on my queue for a while.

At 8/29/10 10:57 PM, therealanimator wrote: Has anyone seen Tetsuo: the iron man? I would recommend anyone who is a big fan of japanese horror..all i can say is its something you have never seen before.

Yes. what a fucking trip. I just got the second one, too. haven't watched it yet.

At 8/30/10 07:41 PM, Jack wrote: As a gentlemen who loves both Alien and Aliens, let me just say - please don't watch Alien 3. Honestly, it almost ruins Aliens.

agreed. fuck Alien 3 and Resurrection.

So yeah, I watched Sonatine - a Takeshi Kitano film.

That one was alright. Brother was much better, though. I also saw Fireworks and Violent Cop, but I can't really remember either of them.

Apparently, Beat Takeshi was a comedian first. It's weird seeing him on MXC/Takeshi's castle after watching him in Brother and Battle Royale and stuff. "Kenny stop teasing Mr. Kitano! He's gonna shoot you! I've seen him do it!"

At 8/31/10 08:04 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: 'Oldboy'.

great movie.

At 8/31/10 10:43 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Just watched Tokyo Godfathers

absolutely wonderful movie. one of my favorites.

R.I.P. Satoshi Kon.

fucking sad. He definitely had more to offer us, and the man wasn't even 60. Coincidentally, Millennium Actress was on its way from Netflix before I found out. It's sitting on my shelf now.

At 8/24/10 02:53 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's an unpredictable and well-made thriller. That's all I have to say.

had my eye on this. I didn't realize it was based on a book until I heard my aunt going on about it. I think it's dumb that there's already an American film adaptation underway. Too many very recent movies are being remade by American film-makers without any reason that I can see.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-02 13:47:12

Watched Crocodile, and a ton more Hercules.

Hercules and the Lost Kingdom was great. Good fight scenes with the human/humanoid characters, and an amazing scene in which Hercules is swallowed by a sea serpent, and then proceeds to punch his way out of it's stomach to its heart, and then squeezes it until it explodes.

6/10.

Hercules and the Circle of Fire was okay, but the idea behind the film was ridiculous. Hera wants to wipe out mankind by destroying all fire. Once the fires go out, everyone starts freezing to death, because, you know, it's not like life had existed for millions of years before fire was invented. So anyway, Hercules has to go and steal back a torch that will restart all the fires. You get some irritating bullshit where a little kid is trying to slow them down on Zeus' orders, and little kids as anything other than little kids is always hugely annoying, but all in all it's a decent film. Zeus is playing by Anthony Quinn, who is far too good of an actor to be appearing in this sort of thing, but whatever, the more him the better, and he features pretty heavily in this one.

6/10.

Hercules in the Underworld flashes forwards a few years to a happily married Hercules who ends up in Hades trying to save his wife who killed herself after hearing false reports of his death. Lack of a sidekick is an improvement, as while Iolas was good in the first film, the women he was paired with in the second and third are a bit irritating. One of those is his wife in this, but she doesn't feature much.

5/10.

Hercules and the Maze of the Minotaur is half clip show, half new story. It's a set up for the TV series, and reintroduces Iolas, as well as showing flashbacks of various key events from the other 4 films. About halfway in these flashbacks stop, though, and it's a new story about this Minotaur wanting revenge of Zeus, and planning to do so by killing Hercules. The twist that the Minotaur is actually his brother can be seen a fucking mile off. The fact that the Minotaur talks like a villain in a poorly dubbed kung-fu film is awesome, though.

6/10.

Crocodile is by the guy who made the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and is bog standard creature feature horror. Bunch of idiot teenagers out on a lake for spring break, one steals some eggs from a nest, giant crocodile fucks their shit up. There's a subplot about this guy out to kill it for killing his father, but it doesn't matter because he dies almost instantly when he finally finds it.

Fairly average genre film, with a stupid ending where it eats a guy who's been spraying himself with bug spray all film, and then throws him up and fucks off because it can't stand the spray. It doesn't even die, and the monster's death is usually one of the high points of these films.

6/10.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-02 15:24:12

had my eye on this. I didn't realize it was based on a book until I heard my aunt going on about it. I think it's dumb that there's already an American film adaptation underway. Too many very recent movies are being remade by American film-makers without any reason that I can see.

I really can't believe they're remaking Let the Right One In. Are subtitles really that big of a problem?

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-02 22:25:55

At 9/2/10 03:24 PM, Ptero wrote: I really can't believe they're remaking Let the Right One In. Are subtitles really that big of a problem?

son of a bitch. I didn't know this.

what.
the.
fuck.

If it really is just an issue of language/subtitles then wow, fuck my country. I just don't understand my own people.

Though Fincher is talented. I didn't know it was him who was going to be behind the new Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-02 22:32:09

I'm starting up a collection of Blu-Rays. I'll be going for ones with loads of special features. I love those. So if you'd like to recommend some for me, you can post here, PM me, or go to my News Post linked in my signature. I can't really think of many at the moment, but I got a few listed.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-02 22:33:18

What do you reckon the chances of Eli remaining a castrated boy in the remake are, then?

It's looking pretty unlikely, especially since they've renamed the character Abby, which is hardly gender neutral like Eli was.

I'm expecting nothing more than a run of the mill mainstream horror film.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-03 00:17:14

Alright

So based on the review of people in this very club I watched Memento.

It was mind blowing. Movies like this always get you right at the end and Memento is an exceptional case of this. It's so well paced and gripping that you need to see it to understand it.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-03 18:31:13

At 9/3/10 10:41 AM, Ejit wrote:
At 9/3/10 12:17 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Great movie. I usually hate chronological disjoint of scenes, but with Memento it made so much sense by putting you in the same position as the protagonist.

I found myself questioning how they planned to resolve the conflict when it started at the beginning but you really are kept guessing until the end.

It's a lot like The Usual Suspects in that it all comes together at the end and hits you right in the face with the unexpected.

I also watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed with the film.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-03 19:06:35

watched a local indie film called Battle of the bone. Its a zombie film set in Belfast.. It wasn't that bad even if it was made on a budget of £10,000. The director had chosen a great cast of local amateur actors and there was even a nice cameo from the local news tv reporter. If any of you like indie horror films i would recommend watching it.. There are also some parts that will make you laugh especially seeing the news reporter documenting the death of the survivors..

Cinema Club

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-03 19:24:55

I'm sort of in the middle of watching Sin City right now and I'm not really enjoying it. I appreciate the frequent shots of black and white with just one vibrant colour, but what I'm seeing is a bit dry. So the film looks great, but the story bores me. Mickey Rourke is also bothering me. I dislike his voice.

Last night a watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and I felt about the same with that as I do with Sin City. It looked good, but I was a bit bored. Lily Cole is nice to watch though.

Two nights ago I watched Cast Away. It is one of the best films I've seen where 90% of the time you're watching one actor. Tom Hanks is so amusing and funny in it, but I doubt I'd want to watch it a second time.

Soon I'll be watching The Illusionist, and I've also got Aeon Flux, Pan's Labyrinth, and ... something else waiting to be watched.

In other news, my parents spent over $60 to take themselves and my two younger siblings to see Cats and Dogs 2 in theaters... must've been AMAZING.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-04 07:41:13

At 9/3/10 06:31 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I also watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

When I was in London two months ago I saw massive posters of that movie in about every subway station. They had favorable quotes from newspapers and 5 stars all over them.

Oddly enough, I never heard of the movie anywhere else. Is that movie only out in the UK or something?

At 9/3/10 07:24 PM, Makeshift wrote: Mickey Rourke is also bothering me. I dislike his voice.

Maybe you should turn up your subwoofer :p

I thought Sin City was very good, but it's been a long time since I last watched the movie. Can't remember much of the plot.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-04 21:29:45

At 9/3/10 06:31 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I also watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I should probably watch it then. My parents have it, and I just wasn't interested in seeing it. I've also noticed the books have been top sellers on Amazon recently. At least I believe that's what I saw.

I was going to watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night, because I love it. I've watched it about 5 times now, but instead I ended up spending about 2 and a half hours watching the special features. Ah, special features...

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-04 21:54:37

At 9/4/10 07:41 AM, Auz wrote:

When I was in London two months ago I saw massive posters of that movie in about every subway station. They had favorable quotes from newspapers and 5 stars all over them.

Oddly enough, I never heard of the movie anywhere else. Is that movie only out in the UK or something?

Actually it is a Scandanavian film, I think it's Swedish or somewhere in that region. I never saw anything for it in the states but the book it's based on got a lot of international attention.

It's very good though, very modern and refreshing in its concept.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-05 06:51:51

At 9/5/10 02:16 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I unfortunately became kind of lost in the story. Some scenes are like who's who and what's going on?

I can definitely understand that. The original is a 5 hour miniseries, and it's still difficult to follow. I know they'll have cut some stuff, but it's still a lot to cram into a film.

Original is definitely worth checking out, if only for Bob Peck's superb performance, which is some of the best acting I've ever seen.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-05 17:50:14

I got smashed with a friend and watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. loved it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-09-05 18:16:28

At 9/5/10 05:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I got smashed with a friend and watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. loved it.

I began watching it on Christmas Eve of '07... never finished it, sadly. I did watch The Illusionist and Four Christmases though.

The Illusionist was kind of bland. I wish I had watched this before The Prestige because it's inferior to Michael Caine and Christopher Nolan. Paul Giamatti was good, but I didn't like Edward Norton as lead. I didn't really like Edward Norton in Fight Club either. The Illusionist has this story about an illusionist who's basically trying to be with a girl, who I believe is the princess of England or something. Anyway, it was boring. Nuff said.

Four Christmases wasn't very good either. I don't remember laughing at all, and the movie feels really short, which I guess is a good thing. Vince Vaughn still hasn't been able to top his role in Wedding Crashers, and I don't think he ever will. Four Christmases gets 3 thumbs DOWN.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature