00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

littlefoot970 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

125,901 Views | 1,418 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-15 23:19:42

Good job with the site byteslinger. I found it a tad bit funny how you solved SCTE3's problem quite quickly where Casualty never did, whether he couldn't figure it out or didn't want to.

Maybe you could change the default sorting option for the medals to Total Medal Points instead of alphabetically. I couldn't find if it has been brought up here, I also didn't look too hard, but it has been brought up a few time in the medals thread.

JUNE 28, 2009. RIP BILLY MAYS. THE LEGEND, THE GOD, THE BILLY MAYS.

Current Medal Score 49220. Ranked:90th +12

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 00:34:44

At 5/15/09 11:19 PM, SevasTra wrote: Good job with the site byteslinger. I found it a tad bit funny how you solved SCTE3's problem quite quickly where Casualty never did, whether he couldn't figure it out or didn't want to.

Thank you for the kind words. I think Casualty was just very busy IRL and couldn't get to it - which is the main reason he passed NGLogs to me. It helps to have many years of programming and database experience - it makes fixing things go much faster (usually).

Maybe you could change the default sorting option for the medals to Total Medal Points instead of alphabetically. I couldn't find if it has been brought up here, I also didn't look too hard, but it has been brought up a few time in the medals thread.

Done. The default sort is now by total points descending.... AND.... I added a new "medals" quick link on the far right of the menu bar, so no more hunting for the page. You all still need to log in and update your own stats on a regular basis - can't really automate that. But these last few tweaks should help...Oh, one more thing: there are now 400 random quotes in the database.

Hope you like the changes. Have a good weekend!

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 01:03:47

At 5/16/09 12:34 AM, byteslinger wrote: Hope you like the changes. Have a good weekend!

I'm sure I will like the changes and I will have a good weekend, bachelor parties FTW, not mine though. Hope you have a good weekend going through everyones suggestions and problems with NG Log.

Also I like your level icon and aura, I don't know why though. Maybe it's because it's
<----- a little familiar?

JUNE 28, 2009. RIP BILLY MAYS. THE LEGEND, THE GOD, THE BILLY MAYS.

Current Medal Score 49220. Ranked:90th +12

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 01:07:23

At 5/16/09 12:34 AM, byteslinger wrote: Done. The default sort is now by total points descending.... AND.... I added a new "medals" quick link on the far right of the menu bar, so no more hunting for the page. You all still need to log in and update your own stats on a regular basis - can't really automate that. But these last few tweaks should help...Oh, one more thing: there are now 400 random quotes in the database.

wow... too much
is there a way to see them? i mean... all (apart from changing pages on nglogs, and that's would be about 500+ pages changed)
I mean.... why don't you add a page where you can see them all? if you want... but, i think you won't do it
anyway i had to try...

(500+ because are 400 but there is a lot of chance that you repeat some... i honestly would thing about 1k+ pages viewed necessary to see them all...)

well i have logged my stats to nglog 520 times... so is not impossible

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 02:45:25

At 5/16/09 01:07 AM, aldlv wrote: is there a way to see them? i mean... all (apart from changing pages on nglogs, and that's would be about 500+ pages changed)
I mean.... why don't you add a page where you can see them all? if you want... but, i think you won't do it
anyway i had to try...

Sure, why not! Now when you click on the blue words in the quote area now, a full page of all the available quotes are displayed, in the order they are in the database.

Every time you load a page or refresh it, a new quote is shown from this list. Have fun!

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 03:20:19

At 5/16/09 02:45 AM, byteslinger wrote:
At 5/16/09 01:07 AM, aldlv wrote: is there a way to see them? i mean... all (apart from changing pages on nglogs, and that's would be about 500+ pages changed)
anyway i had to try...
Sure, why not! Now when you click on the blue words in the quote area now, a full page of all the available quotes are displayed, in the order they are in the database.

Every time you load a page or refresh it, a new quote is shown from this list. Have fun!

but i... it wasn't... i didn't... i couldn't... click it... before... I... ehm... ...
wow...

efficiency now has a name

i should suggest thing more often... XD, just kidding

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 07:18:12

At 5/15/09 10:13 AM, byteslinger wrote: I have been re-coding some of the cookie and login logic to be a bit smarter, so I am glad to see that the stat log part is working a bit better for you. The logout detection is triggered if it can't find a session cookie on your system with the same name as your user ID. This cookie is first set at initial login, and then checked at times through the code. If this cookie gets deleted or blocked, some modules detect this as "not logged in" and force you to log in again. I am working on making the detection smarter on this end, but that does not fix the issue of the session cookies being clobbered at your end.

Hm, well, thanks for all the stuff you've done, at least one of the problems is solved.

You wouldn't happen to be running any type of "spy sweeper" or anti-malware software that could be cleaning out cookies behind the scenes? Also, what anti-virus programs are you using? sometimes they deflect cookies as well. I believe you when you say your browser settings are good, so that means that something else on your PC, but outside your browser, is blocking the site cookies.

Well, for starters, NewGrounds can remember my username and password and so can other sites, so l don't thik there should be a problem..
Anyway l use ESET NOD32 Business edition.

Please let me know what else is running on your rigs - it may be a side-effect of something we haven't realized yet.

Well, l have Windows Firewall but again, this site is in my trused sites and other sites can store cookies on ym PC...

And thanks again for your help and your patience.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 14:21:06

At 5/16/09 07:18 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
Well, for starters, NewGrounds can remember my username and password and so can other sites, so l don't thnik there should be a problem..
Anyway l use ESET NOD32 Business edition.

It may be the way the session cookie is being constructed for NG Logs, and possibly an underlying security thing. I am looking into this scenario: the true URL of the site is nglogs.wkrconcepts.com. But I have a re-directed URL of www.nglogs.com that points (301-redirect) to that site. If the cookie is using the short name, but the internal security isn't matching against the long name, the cookie may not be working right. I am still trying to get to the root of this, and I really do appreciate your help. In the end, you know it's going to be "oh, that was SIMPLE to fix!" - but it's finding what's wrong that's taking so much time.... 8(

Well, l have Windows Firewall but again, this site is in my trusted sites and other sites can store cookies on my PC...

Same here, so that's not it. It has to be the underlying way the cookie is being constructed and managed, now that it's on a new site... sigh.... back to the garage for this one....

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-16 17:05:37

At 5/16/09 02:43 PM, Lizzardis wrote: Hey ByteSlinger,

I've had an idea, well more of am improvement... what about changing the black icon with the NG logo and the 'www.nglogs.com' to 'Newgrounds Log - Your place to log your stats!' Or something. You know just to brighten it up a bit!

This was a simple enough request - but it wouldn't work at first. After some research, I discovered that if you have a URL (www.nglogs.com) doing a masked forward to the actual URL (nglogs.wkrconcepts.com) the silly icon and text won't show up. I removed the masked forwarding, and made it just a regular URL forward - and now, it works. I also think that may have been the cause of some of the cookie issues, because the original site on the Denvish server did not use masked forwarding, either.

Now, for all you who are eagle-eyed: yes, you will see the unmasked URLS now. That won't negatively affect how the site works, since www.nglogs.com, nglogs.wkrconcepts.com and www.wkrconcepts.com/nglogs all point to the same thing.

Maybe this solved some of the cookie issues HeavyTank and others were having...we'll see!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-17 02:54:20

At 5/16/09 02:21 PM, byteslinger wrote:
Same here, so that's not it. It has to be the underlying way the cookie is being constructed and managed, now that it's on a new site... sigh.... back to the garage for this one....

Hey, thanks, now it's all working!
I cannot thank you enough!
^^

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-17 09:59:34

At 5/17/09 05:57 AM, Lizzardis wrote:
Haha, I'm glad you finally got it working. Good job ByteSlinger.

Lol, then why do you have that sad face on your post?

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-17 13:40:32

At 5/17/09 05:57 AM, Lizzardis wrote:
At 5/17/09 02:54 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Hey, thanks, now it's all working!
I cannot thank you enough!
^^
Haha, I'm glad you finally got it working. Good job ByteSlinger.

Glad it's all good now. My thanks to all of you for your help and patience while I hammered out these last few kinks. Enjoy your weekend!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-18 08:31:14

At 5/17/09 02:30 PM, Lizzardis wrote: Auto smiley changer thingie-ma-bob.
For some reason whenever I'm writing a serious post the smiley always changes to the laughing on and whenever I write a funny post it always goes to the angry one.

Uh...that's strange...

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-21 15:38:52

LOL this made me worry for a sec...
(it's original, no editing at all).

NG Log Ideas

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-21 22:13:42

At 5/21/09 05:02 PM, Lizzardis wrote:
At 5/21/09 03:38 PM, HeavyTank wrote: LOL this made me worry for a sec...
What happened? Server error?

No, actually a timeout issue. Part of NG logs reads data directly from the pages of your personal NewGrounds stats. Once in a while, if the newGrounds servers are busy, NG Logs can't get all of the data in a reasonable amount of time - and some values wind up temporarily set to zero. This then gives the rest of the calculations bogus data to chew on - and then you see the fake "you have dropped 5000 experience levels, all of your reviews have been deleted, and your dog hates you" type message.

If you wait a few minutes, log out and jack back in, it will correct itself. Not much I can do here - but I am looking into a way to detect the timeout and then present some sort of controlled message so that the user understands the glitch.

Hope this helps!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-22 01:06:31

At 5/21/09 10:13 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 5/21/09 05:02 PM, Lizzardis wrote:
No, actually a timeout issue. Part of NG logs reads data directly from the pages of your personal NewGrounds stats. Once in a while, if the newGrounds servers are busy, NG Logs can't get all of the data in a reasonable amount of time - and some values wind up temporarily set to zero. This then gives the rest of the calculations bogus data to chew on - and then you see the fake "you have dropped 5000 experience levels, all of your reviews have been deleted, and your dog hates you" type message.

Lol..still, it made my heart bounce, but then l thought that it was highly impossible that ALL my reviews had been deleted in a single day..

If you wait a few minutes, log out and jack back in, it will correct itself. Not much I can do here - but I am looking into a way to detect the timeout and then present some sort of controlled message so that the user understands the glitch.

Yeah well that's what l did and it worked..

Hope this helps!

:D

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-22 15:29:34

This is one I came up with not too long ago, maybe a few days ago.

"Ignorance may be bliss, but stupidity is forever."

These are some my dad has in his office at his job:

I"m sorry, but I am much to SOBER to deal with you today.

Who needs a six pack, when you can have a whole case?

If you have ever had liposuction performed with a shop vac, you might be a redneck.

I am too poor to be a Republican, and no where near rich enough to be a Democrat.

You're either stupid or I am crazy, but one of us ain't right.

Vegetarians are nature's way of providing cannibals with much needed fiber.

I talk to myself because that is the only way I can have an intelligent conversation around here.

I hear you and I understand what you are saying, I just don't care.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-22 18:51:03

so this happens when the NG server is down... XD
also, nglogs trying to divide by 0... how smart =P...jk

NG Log Ideas

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-22 18:54:41

At 5/22/09 06:51 PM, aldlv wrote: so this happens when the NG server is down... XD

sorry for double post... but silly me, i confuse wide and tall
image again...

NG Log Ideas

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-22 23:40:38

At 5/22/09 03:29 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: A whole bunch of quotes

Cool - I added them into the database, along with some more I dug up. There are now over 600 quotes and messages in the list. If you want to see ALL of the quotes, just click on the blue text of the quote at the top of the screen - cool, huh?

At 5/22/09 06:54 PM, aldlv wrote:
At 5/22/09 06:51 PM, aldlv wrote: so this happens when the NG server is down... XD
sorry for double post... but silly me, i confuse wide and tall
image again...

Yes, that was a side effect of the server glitch I wrote about. I just modified the statistics logic to check against division by zero, and if anything is faulty, you should see an error message in red now that lets you know the data is temporarily messed up. I can't prevent the server time-outs, but at least you will be aware of them and handle it in a more controlled manner.

Thanks again guys for some good feedback and suggestions on how to improve NG Logs...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-23 01:08:57

LOOOOL, how can you level down?
:P

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-23 09:50:38

At 2/2/07 10:41 PM, Aksumka wrote: What about a Biggest Stat Whore of the month.

That sounds like a rather good Idea but I think that the portal would be much cleaner with less crap clogging the bandwidth's bum with some of those Crew Flashes and spam. If it had like like a individual page where you could be able to input data manual on what movies you don't think fit kind of like how blam Club had it before ... Unless the Portal Guard program is already good enough.

fd

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-23 13:05:02

At 5/22/09 11:40 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 5/22/09 03:29 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: A whole bunch of quotes
Cool - I added them into the database, along with some more I dug up. There are now over 600 quotes and messages in the list. If you want to see ALL of the quotes, just click on the blue text of the quote at the top of the screen - cool, huh?
Thanks again guys for some good feedback and suggestions on how to improve NG Logs...

SWEET!! Thanks a lot ByteSlinger <3 <3 <3 <3, but how come you didn't mention who said them? Also, my dad came up with another one yesterday, "If ignorance is bliss, then you must be the happiest person alive." Here's another one I remember from my dad's office, "I wish I was rich enough to be a Democrat."

I'll get more later on. Again, I <3 you Byteslinger. =^_^= (meow)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-23 13:47:58

I just thought of a few more,

"In any given store(I.E. grocery store, department store, etc.) the employees are never around when you need them, but they are always around when you don't need them." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"You can't fix stupid" -- Ron White

"Cats will always sharpen their claws on the exact furniture you don't want them scratching." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"The probability of an ant infestation is directly proportional to the amount of food in/on/or around the baking counter, or the warmth of the house in which you are living." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"Whenever you buy new towels for a family visit, they have to cancel and never reschedule." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"When you really got to go, there's never any toilet paper around. It's either in the cabinet under the sink, or there's none at all and you have to call your roommate/mother/father/brother/sister to get you some." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"The amount of times you need to wipe, is directly proportional to how bad you had to go and how long you were on the toilet." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

(Sorry for the bathroom stuff, it just came to me)

"The cost of an airshow hat is directly proportional to the awesomeness of the airshow itself." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"The cost of painting the interior of your house is indirectly proportional to the house and paint store, but directly proportional to how picky the wife is." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

no I'm not sexist

"The cost of a hunting trip is indirectly proportional to the cost of gas, but directly proportional to the hospital visit from Cheney shooting you in the liver." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

"The amount of spiders in one's house is indirectly proportional to the amount of insects in/on/and around the house or outside the house, but directly proportional to the fact that they love to piss us off." -- Me(SlntCobra1)

That's all I got for now, if this is a double post, I apologize. If not, then who cares?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 04:54:30

At 5/23/09 01:47 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: I just thought of a few more,

Lol there are already loads of them..

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 08:28:52

At 5/23/09 01:08 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
LOOOOL, how can you level down?
P

Before the redisign you could in fact level down. If you where level 11 or above each time the level 30 user depoisted the required exp you needed to be level 11 and above rose slighly. So if you stopped depostiting for a while you could level down. ;)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 12:35:41

The quotes cache is in dire need of some Chuck Norris jokes.

"If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris."
"There is no chin under Chuck Norris' beard, there is only another fist."
"Chuck Norris counted to infinity, twice."
"Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits."
"Chuck Norris has two speeds, walk and kill."

Just some of the many hilarious Chuck Norris quotes.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 21:22:37

At 5/24/09 06:04 PM, FroNickProductions wrote: FroNickProductions would like to thank you for adding us to the Affiliates on NG Logs. When we have a proper website up we will return the favor and will add a link to your website with a banner to go with it.

Thanks again.

My pleasure. Any time I can help, I will. Good luck with the new site!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 21:31:09

What did you think about my other ideas for the cache Byte?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-05-24 21:35:34

Hay byteslinger i was looking through your affiliations and the one that counts the top 500 posters does not seem to work. Maby you can make a list similar, adding all of the newgrounds users and not just the ones signed up to NGlog. This is only a suggestion not a command @;-}>

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature