00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

42,053 Views | 588 Replies

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 11:43:32

So, every four years, we gather in a city, to competer for who is the best at various sports, for small plaques of gold, to be hung around our top athlete's necks. If you've been paying attention to English media, the Olympic Games of the XXXth Olympiad have been dominating the screens and pages.

Now, here is your chance to chat about it on Newgrounds. Are you looking forward to it? They may have cost us a London meet, but the Manchester one was even better! It's going to be one hell of a summer and I've got involved, with my own little bit of reporting here, as the Olympic Flame gets carried through a few towns locally to me.

Sure, the games don't begin for another couple of months (27th of July, to be exact), but we can still start building it up.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 11:47:44

Looking forward to getting my dose of water polo. Only get to see that awesome sport every 4 years.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 11:58:06

Being that Britain's hosting the Olympics, it fits that a British would host the thread as well. Anyway, when it comes to the opening ceremony, what do you think might be added to increase the festivity?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 12:22:06

At 5/24/12 11:58 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Being that Britain's hosting the Olympics, it fits that a British would host the thread as well.

But I'm not British - I'm staunchly English.

I don't really care for the opening ceremony. The public execution of Elton John would be mildly amusing, I suppose.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 12:30:18

At 5/24/12 12:22 PM, Coop wrote: But I'm not British - I'm staunchly English.

And to think I shared a room with you!

As for the Olympics, I don't think I have ever followed one. At most I'll watch the odd event if I'm really, really bored, but I generally never cared for them. Sport was never really my thing at all. On the bright side though, I won't have to look for excuses as to why I can't be arsed going all the way down to London for a NG meet. The thought of that bus journey sickens me.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 13:45:35

The only thing I'm excited about is if they broadcast Dr.Dee from the opening ceremonies, and Blur in Hyde Park at the end.

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 13:55:53

At 5/24/12 12:22 PM, Coop wrote:
At 5/24/12 11:58 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Being that Britain's hosting the Olympics, it fits that a British would host the thread as well.

I don't really care for the opening ceremony. The public execution of Elton John would be mildly amusing, I suppose.

When that happen, I can guess he won't be standing here anymore.

Maybe they can launch him on a rocket?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 13:55:59

Thats the spirit Coop!

As for the touchbearers, well I should really give it a look see when they pass through my town. Which I think is pretty awesome. No idea who the people are with it though but got to shot support I guess!

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 14:04:31

I am looking forward to it, but I suspect that they're mostly going to broadcast all the boring sports (as in: not interesting to watch) and the more interesting ones only get a 15 minutes summary at the end of the day.

I just so happen to live in a country that gets most of its medals from swimming sports so for entire afternoons all I can watch is people swimming back and forth which is only moderately exciting during the finals. For the rest of the time they usually broadcast a lot of athletics which isn't that interesting either.

I understand that they want to give sports like these a bit more attention because for the rest they hardly ever get any, but I'd rather just watch sports like basketball, hockey, football, etc.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 15:37:15

I dont really like how people are like "Im english not british" etc. People in the uk have two identities but some choose to ignore the other, more important one, and it just sounds really silly since we all live in the same nation-state yet dont always identify with it.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 18:58:16

At 5/24/12 12:30 PM, Dean wrote:
At 5/24/12 12:22 PM, Coop wrote: But I'm not British - I'm staunchly English.
And to think I shared a room with you!

At least we didn't share a bed :P

Who couldn't work out how to split the double into two singles?

At 5/24/12 03:37 PM, BumFodder wrote: I dont really like how people are like "Im english not british" etc. People in the uk have two identities but some choose to ignore the other, more important one, and it just sounds really silly since we all live in the same nation-state yet dont always identify with it.

It's mostly to do with the Welsh, who hate being a part of the UK, to a point that they cheer for whoever is against England. I just generally cheer for the underdogs, though in the Rugby World Cup semi-final, I was cheering for the Welsh to beat France.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 19:04:40

I have heard that the London Olympics will turn out a bit shitty. but as i am British, looking forward to it as i am actually seeing the diving part :D

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 21:56:30

The only real Olympic events that I really tune to is basketball, and maybe the track events {100m dash and the like.} and only take a peek at the rest. Most of the events that they have are really just boring to watch, {seriously, Equestrian WTF?} and I would imagine that most people wouldn't give 2 shits about those sports to begin with.

At least they don't have to worry about the smog like the last Olympics in Beijing.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-24 22:00:25

For Olympic prediction, how many gold medals do you think Phelps will win? I would say at least 4.

There's no way he'll be able to match what he did in 2008, but he still should be good enough to rack up a good number.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-25 04:26:26

I hope Australia wins some stuff

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-25 05:23:29

At 5/24/12 06:58 PM, Coop wrote: Who couldn't work out how to split the double into two singles?

Haha. I think that was LazyPint and DumbassDude. Although I bet LazyPint just had a romantic weekend planned out for the two of them!

Although on the topic of the Olympics, are there clay pigeon shooting and archery events or have I got the wrong thing entirely? I remember seeing them on TV before as part of some big sporting event but I can't remember if it was the Olympics. Not sure why they interest me more. I just find it more entertaining than watching some lanky dude trying to jump over a bar.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-25 06:02:55

I wonder if people are even aware that the whole Olympic torch relay thing was started by the Nazis and isn't some ancient tradition.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-25 07:33:04

Michael Phelps only needs 3 golds to become greatest Olympian ever, he'll easily do that. I'm hoping our football team whoops everyone, and has David Beckham in it. Also would like to see Beth Tweddle go out on a high. And watch out for Tom Daley. And don't forget the beach volleyball :3

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-25 07:55:49

I live in London, the Olympics are located in London, and I couldn't care less about the Olympics.
I'm not going, and I probably won't watch it.

Pm me for a pleasant conversation or for help with anything.

Thanks to JebbaL for the awesome sig.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-05-25 12:09:05

At 5/25/12 11:38 AM, Rummy0 wrote: Omg. :3
It took me ages to figure out that the London 2012 logo spells out "2012" in an obscure typography. :X

lol nice one

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-21 07:08:48

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-21 08:09:08

My cousin (second if you want to get technical) holding THE torch.

She is actually in part of the opening ceremony for the Paralympics and her and a bunch of other kids involved got to greet the torch in Brighton when it arrived on monday. She was on the news too bless her Pretty cool thing to do really. I have to admit that I liked the torch relay thing in the end. Saw it here in T Wells. There were an insane amount of people watching. Wish I got over to Tonbridge to see Kelly Holmes bring the torch to the castle. Shes a local lass.

Getting very excited for it all now really.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-21 08:12:57

Only thing I've paid any attention to about the whole business is that apparently my city had the biggest turn out for the torch. Woop.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-26 23:16:34

Considering I'm not a sports person I really haven't been following the Olympics. The thing that has caught my attention is all the paranoia there is of an attack. What is it that makes this year any different from another (I don't recall the media mentioning tightened security) that they would be setting up things like anti-air guns?

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-27 02:04:39

Was at the football yesterday. Can't understand how they know how many people there are coming months in advance, know there will be an hour break between games where people will be wanting to SPEND MONEY and they have no food by the time the first game finishes

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-27 12:44:45

I'm looking forward to being able to watch the sports that I want to for once- 24 dedicated channels from the BBC, not to mention wall to wall coverage on the website, so I can sit back and enjoy water polo, cycling and badminton for the first week without being bored to tears by the swimming (and the inevitable Phelps love-fest).

After that first week I disappear to the opposite side of the world, so I'll miss the majority of it. I can't say I am overly disappointed, and that from a real sport fan. There are too many boring sports mixed in with the exciting ones to keep me completely glued to the event as a whole.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-27 14:14:23

So, who will be the last one to carry the flame? I really hope for Eddie The Eagle. No one deserves this more than him!

Yes, I know. Eddie doesn't have anything to do with summer games and he carried the flame on Vancouver already. But come one. He's MOST FAMOUS BRITISH SPORTSMAN OF ALL FUCKING TIME!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-27 14:24:52

The Olympics is a bunch of bullshit. You should all feel bad for watching it.

Also this because London is fucked up.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-27 14:40:41

oh shit olympics start today
GO WOMEN'S SOCCER TEAM WHUP THEM DIRTY JAP SLUTS

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-27 15:03:02

At 7/27/12 02:39 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: You're watching morons exhaust themselves for the amusement of the middle and upper classes.

More like for the amusement of the lower classes. So, there's where YOU fit in. ;)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38