00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiToDaAra just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pat's drawings - feedback wanted.

45,741 Views | 287 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 14:00:48

Hey, I'm Patrick, long-time passive visitor of Newgrounds and hopefully future comic book artist.

Brand new account here, forgot the password to the old one as well as the e-mail address it was linked to - not that it makes a difference which account I use, I hardly used the old one at all, and as far as I can tell only very few people ever visited it.

Anyways, I've uploaded a handful of my most recent and some of my best drawings and I'm looking for constructive feedback because I know I've still got lots to work on.

Currently I'm drawing in what seems to be more of a manga character style but may be moving to a more comic-book-ish style very soon. It seems to have much greater freedom towards physical proportions and such, which is what I'm lacking the most in.

Anyways, take a look, let me know what you think.

Here's a preview of what's on my profile, and thanks in advance.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 14:42:33

Thanks for the scouts, J-qb and Decky!

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 15:12:17

At 4/28/12 02:42 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Thanks for the scouts, J-qb and Decky!

I Envy you. <3 love much.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 17:40:46

At 4/28/12 03:12 PM, pockets08 wrote:
I Envy you. <3 love much.

Years of practice.

Practice in class while the teacher is talking. Practice at home when I should be working. Practice at night when I should be sleeping. And then practice more.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 18:32:01

You're welcome, be sure to post more art here in this thread, the forum is usually a better source for feedback than the portal + we like seeing art posted here.
Im eager to see what you make in a more comic-book style (I'm assuming you mean american style comics?), don't move towards that just because it gives you more anatomical freedom though! If anatomy isn't your strong suit, practice and improve it, don't 'run away' from your problems.

At 4/28/12 03:12 PM, pockets08 wrote: I Envy you. <3 love much.

like Pat said, practice. If the envy is more directed towards the being scouted: you might want to delete those photo-drawovers you did from the portal. Even if they are technically acceptable, they are suspicious and don't really help your chances of getting scouted I'd say.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 18:39:40

Lol - Intended on it, just been busy practicing with stuff and havent done it yet XD

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 18:45:37

At 4/28/12 06:39 PM, pockets08 wrote: Lol - Intended on it, just been busy practicing with stuff and havent done it yet XD

Oh - and also meant it towards his ability.. not, beign scouted. :P didnt evne know what it was till just now. ^.^ (lol)

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 18:49:22

At 4/28/12 06:32 PM, J-qb wrote:
You're welcome, be sure to post more art here in this thread, the forum is usually a better source for feedback than the portal + we like seeing art posted here.
Im eager to see what you make in a more comic-book style (I'm assuming you mean american style comics?), don't move towards that just because it gives you more anatomical freedom though! If anatomy isn't your strong suit, practice and improve it, don't 'run away' from your problems.

To the contrary, I'm not running away. The way I see it, manga has a very perfectionnist way of drawing things to make it look real. The less realistic comic book style would let me practice body positionning and movement without worrying about perfect proportions and such and I can improve on what I already know from it, then put it to use back in the manga style.

Besides, I would like to know for myself that I'm not limited to only being able to draw one style forever. In the end, I'm only limited by my imagination.

Here, I'm supposed to be doing school work but I'll give that cartoon style a go instead. I'll post the drawing when I'm done, presumably in a couple hours.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 19:23:05

Also, thanks for the info about posting art on the forums and such, appreciated.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 20:53:17

Here we go.

Now this is, hands down, the best full-body pose, the best legs, and coincidentally, the best pants I've ever drawn.

All because I've allowed myself a little freedom in terms of body proportions, and it all looks good in the end.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 21:08:29

I could now work from this and readjust the proportions so they match actual human anatomy ( or keep drawing with this style because it's fun, and the more styles I can do, the better )

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 23:15:04

Modified this one for a school project.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 23:33:11

At 4/28/12 11:15 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Modified this one for a school project.

Two steps from hell, along with multiple OST Filmscores, is all I listen to, all day, while drawing things outside of comics, and to focus. Kudos sir. Again. *claps*

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 23:36:48

At 4/28/12 11:15 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Modified this one for a school project.

Here's the back of the album.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 23:42:37

At 4/28/12 02:00 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Hey, I'm Patrick, long-time passive visitor of Newgrounds and hopefully future comic book artist.

Hello there! You've got some good stuff going on. Strong lineart and good coloring, very promising!

Keep up the good work :D

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-28 23:46:13

At 4/28/12 11:42 PM, Vonschlippe wrote:
At 4/28/12 02:00 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Hey, I'm Patrick, long-time passive visitor of Newgrounds and hopefully future comic book artist.
Hello there! You've got some good stuff going on. Strong lineart and good coloring, very promising!

Keep up the good work :D

Thanks, I've been working hard on both of those since I started doing digital artwork, about 4-5 months ago.

Before that it was always pencil on paper, and never any color.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-29 20:50:36

I was going to re-upload these two drawings to my new profile since I can't access my old one but it seems I can't upload the same drawing twice on two different accounts.

In fact I might get into copyright trouble against myself for uploading these?

This one's the first digitally colored drawing I've ever done.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-29 20:52:07

This one's more recent, although still in the experimental coloring phase. Took me longer to color than it should have.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-29 22:34:55

After going through the facial expressions thread, I felt like working on my own facial expressions, while at the same time working my manga style into a more cartoonish style. The end result is that I'm merging the two, taking the best elements of both.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-29 22:36:03

At 4/29/12 10:34 PM, PatBest22 wrote: After going through the facial expressions thread, I felt like working on my own facial expressions, while at the same time working my manga style into a more cartoonish style. The end result is that I'm merging the two, taking the best elements of both.

Oops didn't let the drawing upload before hitting post.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-29 22:37:42

I hope im still here and havent given up, when you start threading comics man.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-30 01:16:04

At 4/29/12 08:52 PM, PatBest22 wrote: This one's more recent, although still in the experimental coloring phase. Took me longer to color than it should have.

Try not to use gradients, it instantly makes any drawing unappealing to me
Especially those leg gradients which don't add to the drawing as well as the hair which instantly make it look flat.
On the top one the hair's gradient fits more due to the fact that it matches the light source though a bit off. I really like that hand too

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-04-30 20:48:00

Going to be practicing Body positionning as well as working on clothing for my characters.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 01:53:33

At 4/30/12 08:48 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Going to be practicing Body positionning as well as working on clothing for my characters.

is it a guy or a chick, because that face looks somewhere in between

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 01:59:31

At 4/30/12 08:48 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Going to be practicing Body positionning as well as working on clothing for my characters.

I understand that anime deals in big heads, but that just looks ridiculous.

It's like someone used the big heads mod in TimeSplitters

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 06:49:07

Love your art~ It's awesome. :D

Your style is original :3

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 10:55:21

At 5/1/12 01:59 AM, Aigis wrote:

Well I've always done big heads - not on purpose - but also there's the hair to consider which might make the head look bigger than it really is.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 11:00:53

At 5/1/12 06:49 AM, BeckyRawr wrote: Love your art~ It's awesome. :D

I don't know if it's original I'm sort of seeing some sort of deritive of Van Hellsing in it.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 11:01:42

At 5/1/12 11:00 AM, argile wrote:
At 5/1/12 06:49 AM, BeckyRawr wrote: Love your art~ It's awesome. :D

I don't know if it's original I'm sort of seeing some sort of deritive of Van Hellsing in it.

Now that you mention it, I see it too.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-01 11:05:12

At 5/1/12 10:55 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 5/1/12 01:59 AM, Aigis wrote:

Well I've always done big heads - not on purpose - but also there's the hair to consider which might make the head look bigger than it really is.

In fact, right now the heads are not important, I could go without them entirely as I'm satisfied of my ability to draw them, and focus on the body which still needs work.