00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pat's drawings - feedback wanted.

45,601 Views | 287 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-02 11:07:56

I eat Glen and steal his armor. Sadly it does not fit because i'm not ostrich shaped. I throw it at an innocent bystander which merges with them and creates disaster in Tokyo.

Woman, You Cray. Homie.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-02 20:44:24

My friend asked me to do his characters with my style, so here's one of his characters: Vicky the witch.

Color version to follow.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-02 21:06:07

That's amazing!
Much better female face as well XD

You going to colour it?

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-02 21:12:30

At 5/2/12 09:06 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: That's amazing!
Much better female face as well XD

You going to colour it?

Yes.

And there's a reason the other character, Kayra, does not have an overly feminine face. Her personality is heavily impacted by instinct, she's a predator. I'm trying to get the face to look less like a zomg sexy girl and more like, say, an animal like a wolf or panther. Everything about her is supposed to reflect aggressivity. Her face is composed mostly of sharp edges, her eyes are almost always in an aggressive stare, her hair is even spiking forwards as if it wanted to kill you. Although despite all this, I do try to keep it feminine.

Vicky, on the other hand, is very feminine, to an exaggerated point, even.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-02 21:19:37

In fact, the original Vicky wears much less clothing.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-02 23:09:42

Bed time, here's the progress I've made so far.

What's left:

Boots
Cloak
Eyes
Shading / lighting
Glowy gems and enchantements on armor
Possible background.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-04 17:01:46

At 5/2/12 11:09 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Bed time, here's the progress I've made so far.

What's left:

Boots
Cloak
Eyes
Shading / lighting
Possible background.

Looking good so far :D
Only thing i don't like is the hands are a little small :(

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-04 23:58:51

At 5/4/12 05:01 PM, BeckyRawr wrote:
At 5/2/12 11:09 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Bed time, here's the progress I've made so far.

What's left:

Boots
Cloak
Eyes
Shading / lighting
Possible background.
Looking good so far :D
Only thing i don't like is the hands are a little small :(

Honestly I drew the head, then the badass shoulder and chest armor, then realized "wtf do I do with the ams now?"
Most likely scenario is I redo the character once I'm done with this one, but this time in a more organic pose, merging the armor and body better.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-05 00:21:06

It's not just the hands, it's the entire arms.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-05 10:39:04

At 5/5/12 12:21 AM, lovingthedark wrote: It's not just the hands, it's the entire arms.

Indeed.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-05 17:48:51

At 5/5/12 10:39 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 5/5/12 12:21 AM, lovingthedark wrote: It's not just the hands, it's the entire arms.
Indeed.

It's still really good though XD
It's good to get plenty of practice with drawing characters. You can never drAW THEM ENOUGH XD

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-05 17:50:29

At 5/5/12 05:48 PM, BeckyRawr wrote:
Indeed.
It's good to get plenty of practice with drawing characters. You can never drAW THEM ENOUGH XD

Oops...knocked Caps on and off and the end of that sentence >.<

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-05 18:34:04

At 5/5/12 05:48 PM, BeckyRawr wrote:
Indeed.

Yup. Plus this is the difference between a mistake and lack of skill.
Lack of skill would be when Aigis pointed out I did big heads, which is true, I've always done big heads and am working to correct it.
This one was a mistake, I am capable of drawing acceptable arms and hands ( though I can't say I don't need more practice at it ) but simply did not plan ahead about how I would go about doing that in this particular drawing.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-09 22:24:34

I've been lazy so here's some sketch I did to practice proportions and awesome suits of armor.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 06:48:48

At 5/9/12 10:24 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I've been lazy so here's some sketch I did to practice proportions and awesome suits of armor.

Awesome suits of armor indeed! Kudos to you, good sir, but might i ask you? Is this drawn digitaly or ye olde paper and pen style, then scanned? Also, how long did it take you to move from pen and paper to tablets and stuff? I'm currently suffering from the transition, as my digital skills take me atleast twice as long to draw something : /

About the witch. Badass armor, can't wait for the full coloring. But the small hands and arms problem + the oversized hips (compared to the whole body) kinda ruins it a little. Could you be so kind and try to fix it? Anyway, awesomeness is detected in your thread, keep it up!

My art Thread, prepare to get your eyes burned!

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 11:34:36

At 5/10/12 06:48 AM, NiteCrow wrote:
At 5/9/12 10:24 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I've been lazy so here's some sketch I did to practice proportions and awesome suits of armor.
Awesome suits of armor indeed! Kudos to you, good sir, but might i ask you? Is this drawn digitaly or ye olde paper and pen style, then scanned? Also, how long did it take you to move from pen and paper to tablets and stuff? I'm currently suffering from the transition, as my digital skills take me atleast twice as long to draw something : /

About the witch. Badass armor, can't wait for the full coloring. But the small hands and arms problem + the oversized hips (compared to the whole body) kinda ruins it a little. Could you be so kind and try to fix it? Anyway, awesomeness is detected in your thread, keep it up!

First of all, thanks! I've got problems making clothes look real-like so a solution I found long ago was to hide it under armor, MORE ARMOR, LOTS AND LOTS OF ARMOR, so I've gotten quite good at armor :P

Most of the stuff I do these days are digital, just like this drawing, although I do enjoy the feel of good old pencil and paper. The transition to digital took me between a few weeks to four months, although this might be shorter than it should have since it seems most people use an Intuos tablet whereas I've got a Cintiq.

The intuos ( I've got a bamboo too, for my laptop, which is a really cheap version of it, but I understand how it works and what the difference is ) forces you to draw on one surface and watch the lines on another surface, completely breaking any kind of hand-eye coordination you used to have for drawing.
For the Cintiq, it's not that bad, the lines still appear where your hand is, if slightly off from the pen's tip due to the screen thickness. I've gotten used to this by not aiming my lines using the pen but the cursor.

So just for the lines, it took me a few weeks, but once that was done I had to get used to all the other stuff for digital art. Over the course of a semester-long school project which ended last week, I've experimented with all sorts of stuff on photoshop to learn and adapt. I still don't know what 85% of the stuff on photoshop is for so I suppose I'm not done learning. But now I can color well, do some nice shading, etc...

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 11:36:42

Oh right, and the witch.
I'm thinking of starting over, using this unfinished drawing as a reference for the armor but this time giving her a more natural pose and making sure all the limbs are right.

As for the hips, I made them large on purpose since the character is supposed to parody the standards of sexuality in women, but they might be too large after all.

Like I said, starting over.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 11:48:40

At 5/10/12 11:43 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Looking at your drawings, I would suggest slightly longer, thicker arms and slightly larger hands. The hands right now are very small compared to the rest of the body. Also there seems to be an issue with how you posture characters in the 3/4ths view, mostly in the legs. I see you are trying to angle the legs toes-out, and have them slightly spread...but the way you draw the near leg makes it look like the knee is bending awkwardly.

Generally speaking, though. You have a firm grasp of anatomy and good design sense.

Longer arms and larger hands eh? That's twice I've been told that, so I suppose I'll work on it.

As for legs, two weeks ago I couldn't draw a decent leg for my life. Improvement is on the way!

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 11:49:48

...also thanks. I always forget thanks, it's like the most important thing to say.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 12:11:00

At 5/10/12 11:49 AM, PatBest22 wrote: ...also thanks. I always forget thanks, it's like the most important thing to say.

I've got a theory as to why I make the arms and hands too small - I make the torso and upper body too short and use it as a reference to then make the arms, resulting in too short arms.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 12:34:48

At 5/10/12 12:11 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 5/10/12 11:49 AM, PatBest22 wrote: ...also thanks. I always forget thanks, it's like the most important thing to say.
I've got a theory as to why I make the arms and hands too small - I make the torso and upper body too short and use it as a reference to then make the arms, resulting in too short arms.

Nope, nevermind, seems I was almost right on for the upper body length, although now it does seem too thin. So yup, arms are too small.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-10 13:01:28

At 5/10/12 12:57 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: A good rule of thumb is to have the elbows line up with the bellybutton and the fingertips (when extended) be about three fourths of the way down the thighs.

Interesting, I'll do that next time. Thanks again.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 22:15:51

So I opened a bag of tostitos with some tostito cheese today and... well... this is what usually happens when I do that...

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 22:34:02

clearly you aren't eating enough junk food

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 22:35:05

At 5/11/12 10:34 PM, EnactJudo wrote: clearly you aren't eating enough junk food

I only weigh 138 pounds, so clearly I don't.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 23:08:39

wait what

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 23:20:11

At 5/11/12 11:08 PM, EnactJudo wrote: wait what

I'm one of those guys who eats whatever he wants and stays skinny all the time, don't try to understand it, just accept it.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 23:35:15

If i might offer my opinion...

It looks to me like you are trying to cover up your weaknesses in anatomy and proportion with fancy details and clothing. This will not fool people who know what a human body actually looks like. I would if I were you go back to the basics of proportion and anatomy and work from the ground up again. THEN you add the details once your foundation is worth adding details to.

Good luck.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 23:40:26

At 5/11/12 11:35 PM, Template88 wrote: If i might offer my opinion...

It looks to me like you are trying to cover up your weaknesses in anatomy and proportion with fancy details and clothing. This will not fool people who know what a human body actually looks like. I would if I were you go back to the basics of proportion and anatomy and work from the ground up again. THEN you add the details once your foundation is worth adding details to.

Good luck.

I did do some anatomy work under those clothes, but yes I still have to improve it, and maybe I should have shown the version without the clothes. My known anatomical mistakes are that the arms are too short, hands too small ( and hands overall give me trouble ), legs are just overall usually wrong, I'm just starting to work on those, and the hips are very often too thin or too wide.
Also, my clothes are just as bad as my anatomy, I hide all of those beneath armor which is about the only thing I got going for me very well right now.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-05-11 23:52:41

Summer's coming, I'll get some work done on anatomy. Like I said before, two weeks ago I couldn't draw legs for my life. What I've got now is a considerable improvement, and I will continue to improve.