New Topic Respond to this Topic
PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:46:58 Reply

Woah, lots to read. But I went through all of it ( and will probably do it again just to make sure I understood properly ) and I do have a couple things to say.

The first has to do with the smudge tool and blending. I've been practicing blending with the brush and opacities but have not yet reached a level where I'm happy of the work I did. I even tried it on this drawing before deciding to use the smudge tool. It's something I've got to practice more with.

Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden, like so. This is far from the pink and purple present in your version, which is not what I envisioned for the colors at all.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:51:44 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:46 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden, like so. This is far from the pink and purple present in your version, which is not what I envisioned for the colors at all.

Those are very warm photos, what with all the red and yellow.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:55:47 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:51 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/15/12 01:46 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden, like so. This is far from the pink and purple present in your version, which is not what I envisioned for the colors at all.
Those are very warm photos, what with all the red and yellow.

But no pink and purple, which is what I'm trying to say by poorly expressing myself.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:58:05 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:55 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
But no pink and purple, which is what I'm trying to say by poorly expressing myself.

**Which is what I'm poorly trying to ex-
...it's what I meant to say. My brain and words don't go along very well.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 16:03:29 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:55 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 7/15/12 01:46 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden

Then use more reds and browns, but everything I said still applies.

Pat's drawings - feedback wanted.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 17:02:23 Reply

At 7/15/12 04:03 PM, Kashi wrote: Then use more reds and browns, but everything I said still applies.

Indeed.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-21 18:35:36 Reply

More time at work, more sketches, although only one worth the trouble of scanning and uploading.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-05 02:55:18 Reply

I'm trying to upload this one to the portal for ChOW #53 - Re-animator but I keep getting an error where I seem to have uploaded but the image isn't in fact uploaded so I can't actually upload it...

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-05 02:56:32 Reply

At 8/5/12 02:55 AM, PatBest22 wrote: I'm trying to upload this one to the portal for ChOW #53 - Re-animator but I keep getting an error where I seem to have uploaded but the image isn't in fact uploaded so I can't actually upload it...

Nevermind that, it's working fine now.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-05 03:06:47 Reply

At 8/5/12 02:56 AM, PatBest22 wrote:

Nevermind that, it's working fine now.

...aaaaand now it's gone from the portal again...

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-07 02:48:04 Reply

This was a quick one for a joke with my WoW friends.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-07 18:19:05 Reply

Here's something you'd probably never have expected from me.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-08 23:36:01 Reply

This one's far from finished but it's looking good so far.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-09 03:30:38 Reply

At 8/8/12 11:36 PM, PatBest22 wrote: This one's far from finished but it's looking good so far.

...I actually finished it.
Behold! Gyroscope, the deadliest gnome rogue in the history of maybe!

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-22 16:20:13 Reply

Simple question here:
Have I successfully transferred the emotion?

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-30 22:56:16 Reply

At 8/9/12 03:30 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Behold! Gyroscope, the deadliest gnome rogue in the history of maybe!

I freaking hate gnome rogues. So much.
Nelfs are where it's at.

Shadowmeld = extra vanish ;D

I mean, what?

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-08-31 18:40:48 Reply

At 8/30/12 10:56 PM, Kashi wrote:
At 8/9/12 03:30 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Behold! Gyroscope, the deadliest gnome rogue in the history of maybe!
I freaking hate gnome rogues. So much.
Nelfs are where it's at.
Shadowmeld = extra vanish ;D
I mean, what?

I have a night elf rogue, might have heard the name Celinne?

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-09-25 01:19:15 Reply

Awesomeness.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 14:44:13 Reply

It's been a while and I never did get anatomy quite right, so before I go ahead and color this, does anyone see anything wrong about the anatomy, proportions, etc...?
Thanks in advance.

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 18:23:27 Reply

At 11/1/12 02:44 PM, PatBest22 wrote: It's been a while and I never did get anatomy quite right, so before I go ahead and color this, does anyone see anything wrong about the anatomy, proportions, etc...?
Thanks in advance.

Here is an edit I did on your anatomy.

The first thing I want to get straight is what is your ideal female body that you want to draw?

For starters, I checked to see her height with heads measurement. In overall, unless you want her to be short, she's kinda way too short. Next was the chest rib cage, if I were to leave it as is when I shrunk the heads then she be bulky. I squeeze the width of the chest to be more feminine. Next was the legs, I'm not a leg master but edit what I find to be "off" when I look at it. Like deciding knee placements and foot placements and how the legs were bend. I also gave her hands just cuz....she need hands xD

I'm not going to be picky on her facial features or how you design her. I'll leave it up to you how to improve that. Hope it helps in a way.

BBS Signature
PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 18:34:08 Reply

At 11/1/12 06:23 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Here is an edit I did on your anatomy.

The first thing I want to get straight is what is your ideal female body that you want to draw?

For starters, I checked to see her height with heads measurement. In overall, unless you want her to be short, she's kinda way too short. Next was the chest rib cage, if I were to leave it as is when I shrunk the heads then she be bulky. I squeeze the width of the chest to be more feminine. Next was the legs, I'm not a leg master but edit what I find to be "off" when I look at it. Like deciding knee placements and foot placements and how the legs were bend. I also gave her hands just cuz....she need hands xD

I'm not going to be picky on her facial features or how you design her. I'll leave it up to you how to improve that. Hope it helps in a way.

It helped a lot, thanks. Ideally I'd have her be slightly shorter than me, so maybe around 5 foot 8 inches tall.

I am having a hard time making her look both physically strong as well as feminine though...

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 18:50:02 Reply

At 11/1/12 06:34 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 11/1/12 06:23 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Here is an edit I did on your anatomy.

It helped a lot, thanks. Ideally I'd have her be slightly shorter than me, so maybe around 5 foot 8 inches tall.

I am having a hard time making her look both physically strong as well as feminine though...

Hmmmmm, I guess the best advice I can say is looking up athletic women photos for reference. Learn how to draw in muscles on to the legs and arms for the female body. Keeping up with strong poses is also a good start. I think getting the female anatomy down first is the top to do list.

BBS Signature
PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 18:53:21 Reply

At 11/1/12 06:50 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Hmmmmm, I guess the best advice I can say is looking up athletic women photos for reference. Learn how to draw in muscles on to the legs and arms for the female body. Keeping up with strong poses is also a good start. I think getting the female anatomy down first is the top to do list.

Indeed.
Another point of the anatomy I wanted an opinion on is the joining of the upper body and the hips. I haven't quite figured out how to make it happen but I do think I did good on this one. What do you think?

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 19:02:30 Reply

At 11/1/12 06:53 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 11/1/12 06:50 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Hmmmmm, I guess the best advice I can say is looking up athletic women photos for reference. Learn how to draw in muscles on to the legs and arms for the female body. Keeping up with strong poses is also a good start. I think getting the female anatomy down first is the top to do list.
Indeed.
Another point of the anatomy I wanted an opinion on is the joining of the upper body and the hips. I haven't quite figured out how to make it happen but I do think I did good on this one. What do you think?

Hmmmm, yeah, when looking only the body parts like the chest, stomach, and crouch it looks fine (if you keep the bulky chest to show her masculinity). The main issue is how you plug in the other body parts like the legs and arms, ESPECIALLY the legs. The hips are a definite need to be work on (and I can't fully help you with that, you gotta do things the hard way and research it).

BBS Signature
PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 19:06:27 Reply

At 11/1/12 07:02 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Hmmmm, yeah, when looking only the body parts like the chest, stomach, and crouch it looks fine (if you keep the bulky chest to show her masculinity). The main issue is how you plug in the other body parts like the legs and arms, ESPECIALLY the legs. The hips are a definite need to be work on (and I can't fully help you with that, you gotta do things the hard way and research it).

I knew the legs had problems, but the arms? Damn, I though I had those figured out.
Oh well, research and practice it is.

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 22:13:31 Reply

Kind of going off what Zane said.
Her feet look off because they aren't in perspective. You have her body in two-point perspective, but you left her feet on the same plane instead of receding into the vanishing point.

I don't think there's really anything wrong with the arms, not counting the lack of hands, but the torso is pretty off. You have this bar of abdomen that separates her chest and her hips, which completely removed the hourglass shape. Not all women are super curvy, but you gave her a large rib cage and large pelvis with no connection between them, which is unnatural. I think that's the biggest thing that makes her look out of proportion.

Little things :
In your original sketch of her build, it was a little off symmetrically. The left side of her was larger than her right side, but it really wasn't a huge deal. You exaggerated the disproportion in your final drawing though when you trimmed her neck for some reason.

Also, the position of her upper body looks unnatural. Her head and neck are hunched over, but you've popped out her chest. It isn't an impossible position, but unless she's SUPER tense, which she's not (judging by her facial expression and overall posture), she probably wouldn't be standing so tightly. And again, when you trimmed her neck, it just made it look even more uncomfortable, kind of like she's actually trying to stick her head out as far as she can.

I would say to look at the anatomy of comic book female heroes, since you're going for that style. Maybe She-Hulk since you're going for that more beefed up tone. Don't get me wrong, it's super important to reference from life, but in this particular case, I feel like getting a reference that's a little more direct would help you a lot.

Ha, I hope this is more helpful to you than it is off-putting. I keep rereading this, and I feel like I'm being mean.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 22:19:04 Reply

At 11/1/12 10:13 PM, monsterparty wrote:
Ha, I hope this is more helpful to you than it is off-putting. I keep rereading this, and I feel like I'm being mean.

Bah, don't worry about sounding mean.
Instead of She-Hulk, Aigis proposed Korra, from The Legend of Korra, which, between the two, is a lot more what I'm aiming for than She-Hulk.
I want her to look strong.. but I also want her to look feminine.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 22:22:14 Reply

...I need a taller chair. All of my drawings seem to have the constant pattern of head and upper body being too large and lower body being too small.

I'm starting to think it's because my chair is too low, so from the angle at which I see my tablet, it looks fine but when I look at it from the correct angle, it's not.

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-01 23:11:23 Reply

I made some... I guess you could call them improvements...
Most of what you guys said, I reduced the size of the head and made the legs a little longer ( they seemed a little short ), as well as raised the hips a little bit, for they seemed to be rather low. She is about 7 heads tall now.
Then I made the torso and shoulders less wide and tried to...er...connect the rib cage and pelvis.
Lastly I tried to make the head position seem less awkward.

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-11-02 13:05:58 Reply

At 11/1/12 11:11 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Then I made the torso and shoulders less wide and tried to...er...connect the rib cage and pelvis.

Sorry if that last part was confusing. I didn't know how to describe it. I still don't really know how, so I did this thing on the bottom to try and do it for me. Honestly though, the improvement just between this version and the last one is so dramatic. You made the thing I complained about a lot more subtle, and it's not even a complaint anymore. I think you can disregard what I was trying to say. :)