00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pat's drawings - feedback wanted.

45,602 Views | 287 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-05 21:46:51

At 6/5/12 08:08 PM, PatBest22 wrote: This is a WIP, to be part of a larger drawing. I'd really appreciate anyone pointing out flaws in the current anatomy before I put any more work into it, like put clothes, hair and color over it all and it becomes much more difficult to fix.

looks sinister, its proportioned well but not realistically accurate, however I can see that's not your aim, if anything its pretty swell, can't wait to see it completed.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-05 22:34:02

At 6/5/12 09:46 PM, M-Maher wrote:
At 6/5/12 08:08 PM, PatBest22 wrote: This is a WIP, to be part of a larger drawing. I'd really appreciate anyone pointing out flaws in the current anatomy before I put any more work into it, like put clothes, hair and color over it all and it becomes much more difficult to fix.
looks sinister, its proportioned well but not realistically accurate, however I can see that's not your aim, if anything its pretty swell, can't wait to see it completed.

Thanks! Sinister is what I'm aiming for ( it's pretty much what I'm always aiming for )
Yeah whenever I try realistic, it never ends up well. See the previous entry in my thread, I tried to give the face a more realistic look and in the end it only looked wrong.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-06 12:46:54

I've added the sketch for the background because for once, I'm actually going to make a background to put more context into the image.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-06 14:26:16

At 6/6/12 12:46 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I've added the sketch for the background because for once, I'm actually going to make a background to put more context into the image.

it looks awesome, but in my opinion the background is a bit too much tilted. Looks like the character is leaning forward alot. But other than that i like it a lot ^^

My art Thread, prepare to get your eyes burned!

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-06 16:54:25

At 6/6/12 02:26 PM, NiteCrow wrote:
At 6/6/12 12:46 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I've added the sketch for the background because for once, I'm actually going to make a background to put more context into the image.
it looks awesome, but in my opinion the background is a bit too much tilted. Looks like the character is leaning forward alot. But other than that i like it a lot ^^

You're right about that. As I always do after I post something on the forum here, I notice something's wrong about it and fix it. In this case, I moved the character more towards the right and fixed the lean problem. Thanks for pointing it out, though!

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-08 00:11:55

In case anyone's wondering why it's taking so long: it's because I can't decide on what clothes to have her wear.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-08 01:33:54

At 6/8/12 12:11 AM, PatBest22 wrote: In case anyone's wondering why it's taking so long: it's because I can't decide on what clothes to have her wear.

Decided to try something out, put on some awesome music to inspire myself, then went ahead and gave it a shot.

I like it, I think it fits the effect I'm looking for, or at least it will when I'm done coloring it.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-08 02:05:51

At 6/8/12 01:33 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 6/8/12 12:11 AM, PatBest22 wrote: In case anyone's wondering why it's taking so long: it's because I can't decide on what clothes to have her wear.
Decided to try something out, put on some awesome music to inspire myself, then went ahead and gave it a shot.

I like it, I think it fits the effect I'm looking for, or at least it will when I'm done coloring it.

Woah, that armor doesn't seem to fail to impress. And erm...i'm kinda speachless right now...Don't really have any critique, but there is a bit too much draping in the crotch are for my taste. But it's all good. Darn my brain isn't working properly yet >.>

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-08 02:10:27

At 6/8/12 02:05 AM, NiteCrow wrote:
Woah, that armor doesn't seem to fail to impress. And erm...i'm kinda speachless right now...Don't really have any critique, but there is a bit too much draping in the crotch are for my taste. But it's all good. Darn my brain isn't working properly yet >.>

Hehe... someday I'm going to find someone who can make me a coat like that, and you can bet I'm going to wear it every occasion I can.

But what do you mean by too much draping in the crotch? As far as layers go, there's the pants, over the pants there are the belts which hold the pistol holsters, over that there's the coat armor which is held in place by a belt.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-08 02:15:39

At 6/8/12 02:10 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 6/8/12 02:05 AM, NiteCrow wrote:
Hehe... someday I'm going to find someone who can make me a coat like that, and you can bet I'm going to wear it every occasion I can.

But what do you mean by too much draping in the crotch? As far as layers go, there's the pants, over the pants there are the belts which hold the pistol holsters, over that there's the coat armor which is held in place by a belt.

By that i mean that (for me) it looks like it's going in deep somewhere...wow, that actually sounded retarded, just ignore what i say sometime, k? ^^

Oh, and a picture:

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-08 02:18:57

At 6/8/12 02:15 AM, NiteCrow wrote:
By that i mean that (for me) it looks like it's going in deep somewhere...wow, that actually sounded retarded, just ignore what i say sometime, k? ^^

Oh, and a picture:

Hmm, I'll consider it and examine the image. Not that it will matter in this particular drawing, that while area will probably be drowned out in black shadows because of the lighting effect I'm going to go for and the position of the sun.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-11 20:32:49

Job got in the way, I've been asked to do ridiculous hours. Aside from that, I'm not sure how I'm going to get the background to look like what I want to to look like.
I did some work on the character, which I'm quire pleased with.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-11 20:37:27

At 6/11/12 08:32 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Job got in the way, I've been asked to do ridiculous hours. Aside from that, I'm not sure how I'm going to get the background to look like what I want to to look like.

It's a cool drawing, and btw I like your art and style generally, but I think it's unfortunate that so many details get lost in the completely black shades. Apart from that, I also like the work you did on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-11 20:44:28

At 6/11/12 08:37 PM, Luwano wrote:
It's a cool drawing, and btw I like your art and style generally, but I think it's unfortunate that so many details get lost in the completely black shades. Apart from that, I also like the work you did on it.

It's indeed a shame that the detail is hidden, but I knew this is how I was going to do it from the beginning. The reason why I made all that detail in the first place is so I get practice in more than just what the drawing consists of. Like the first step, the anatomy: I didn't need to put that much work into the body nor such detail, but I did anyways, because I know I need to improve my anatomy.
The armor? I like the create new armor. With better comprehension of anatomy, I can make better armor pieces. It was all practice.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I like to get the most out of every drawing.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-11 20:47:34

At 6/11/12 08:32 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I did some work on the character, which I'm quire pleased with.

too black, hiding too much.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-11 22:02:45

At 6/11/12 08:32 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Job got in the way, I've been asked to do ridiculous hours. Aside from that, I'm not sure how I'm going to get the background to look like what I want to to look like.

looks good but i almost like the just black and white one better

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-11 22:29:38

At 6/5/12 10:34 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Yeah whenever I try realistic, it never ends up well. See the previous entry in my thread, I tried to give the face a more realistic look and in the end it only looked wrong.

Hey Pat!

It looks like you've clearly got some skill here, and that's great. It will give you a good boost of confidence to keep working at it. The difficulty is in your statement above. If you try realistic and it doesn't end up well, that means that's exactly where you should be focusing your attention.

In comic book art (as well as manga, or really any "style") the foundation is built in reality. The style is merely a costume that you put over reality. The better you can draw from life, "realistically," the better off you're going to be. So while it's fun to do these drawings and characters in this style you enjoy, if you really want to improve you couldn't do better than hunkering down and getting in some real life drawing. ESPECIALLY if it doesn't go well.

That's tricky because it's never much fun to draw what we aren't good at. In time it becomes more fun, as you get experience, but at first it will be very hard. The key will be not to give up, and if you don't you'll see vast improvements when you go back to whatever style you want to work in. Foundation first, though. It's your best bet for the long term.

In most of your figure drawing your proportions are off. Your torsos are too long and the legs too short. That's likely what Becky noticed above but couldn't quite put her finger on. I myself didn't know for sure so I redid the drawing and noticed my version had the hips sitting higher, and it felt better. That's exactly the sort of thing that will become second nature when you do a lot of life drawing, minus any style. You don't have to go for Photorealism, we have copy machines and cameras for that, but you want to capture life from life first, then dip into your expanded imagination to create some even better stuff than life has to offer. It's a long road, and tough, but if you stick with it you'll become greater than you ever could be without that foundation.

Much luck with it, and if you'd like to talk about it further please feel free to PM or email me. Cheers!

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 01:11:55

Thanks for the detailed feedback, JKR.

Really, what I meant for failing at realism concerned the face more than anything... and I'll keep an eye on that torso / leg ratio, possibly even fix it in this drawing if it's not too much trouble.

I hope to hear from you again in the future.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 09:32:24

At 6/12/12 01:11 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Really, what I meant for failing at realism concerned the face more than anything...

I hear that. Faces and hands are the trickiest aspects of the human body to get right, because we see them so often and they are the areas that fully express what type of emotion we have at any given moment. As I said above, if you know what parts your less comfortable drawing (in this case the realistic face) that's the best place to spend your time. When you improve that, you get better at drawing 10 fold. Then you can tackle any other areas that might not be up to par with how well you now draw faces, and eventually you'll have ironed out all the difficult places you struggle with and be a complete and well rounded artist. :)

Good luck with it! I look forward to seeing more of your work posted here.

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 12:50:39

Got to work on the background. Not exactly how I wanted it but I gotta start somewhere. Full version will be available for view on my profile.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 14:28:38

I'm feeling inspired with this...

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 14:49:29

At 6/12/12 02:28 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I'm feeling inspired with this...

please dont cover up the lines, thats where all the energy is at in your work man, seriously though dude, your linework is fucking awesome

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 14:52:02

At 6/12/12 02:49 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote:
At 6/12/12 02:28 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I'm feeling inspired with this...
please dont cover up the lines, thats where all the energy is at in your work man, seriously though dude, your linework is fucking awesome

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 16:18:13

Hats, they give me trouble.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 20:41:10

One more sketch for the night, I know this one's got to have obvious mistakes since I have not been practicing drawing a female figure from behind as I have from the front...

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 22:07:36

At 6/12/12 04:18 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Hats, they give me trouble.

Carmen Sandiego has always been a wanted woman.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-12 22:09:24

At 6/12/12 10:07 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 6/12/12 04:18 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Hats, they give me trouble.
Carmen Sandiego has always been a wanted woman.

+10 internets to you.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-13 12:52:15

Alright, listen up boys and girls, here's the deal. Living in Montreal, I've always known there was Ubisoft somewhere within driving distance, but the full reality of that statement never hit me until last Saturday when I was hired to work security at their office, at which point I was like "Wo... Ubisoft is right here".
During that work shift, I got to chat with the building's chief maintenance guy who told me the building held thousands of employees and that my chances of being accepted if I apply are good. If not as an artist, then even as a beta tester I apparently get paid more then I do now as a security guard.

So, I intend to apply at Ubisoft. In fact, I intended to apply yesterday, but taking a look over my best and most recent artwork, I realize it's not all that impressive. It's all the same character, mostly with no background or context. Within the next few weeks I hope to produce a number of diverse pieces of art in order to expand my portfolio and I'm hoping you guys can help me.
Basically this becomes a "tell me what to draw" thread, except, none of that "a cheetah in a suit" crap, please.
You've seen what I draw, you know what my style is.
Your suggestion for a drawing could be as little as a name, Jonahan Savior, for example, and I would create a character that fits that name with a background that fits the character.
You could be more precise as well: Jonahan Savior, the living embodiment of greed and corruption.
It could even be a song, one that you find special.
You could even ask me to do my version of someone else's character or my take on a game, movie, etc...
Whenever I get a suggestion that inspires me, I'll do it and post it back here and hopefully within two or three weeks, I'll have a nice, varied portfolio.

With that said, I await your suggestions.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-13 14:51:50

At 6/13/12 12:52 PM, PatBest22 wrote:

:Stuff
Woah, Ubisoft? That is awesome! Good luck With getting that job!

Suggestion...hmmm...What comes in mind when i mention the name...Liam. A hint about him. Silent, ordinary looking guy with a devoured soul. Do what ever you want with him, just try to attain those features. Good luck! ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-13 16:20:50

At 6/13/12 02:51 PM, NiteCrow wrote:
At 6/13/12 12:52 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Stuff
Woah, Ubisoft? That is awesome! Good luck With getting that job!

Suggestion...hmmm...What comes in mind when i mention the name...Liam. A hint about him. Silent, ordinary looking guy with a devoured soul. Do what ever you want with him, just try to attain those features. Good luck! ^^

Devoured soul as in it was eaten by something, yes? Interesting, interesting.