00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JSkell95 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pat's drawings - feedback wanted.

45,600 Views | 287 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-17 21:01:19

Ok, so

Nitecrow, I'm sorry. I began working on the Liam idea, sketched it out, and then procrastinated for days playing video games instead of working on it.

Then I listened to this song and got inspired to draw something else, but then procrastinated some more.

Now I began a rough sketch and a bit of color, trying to use the paintbrush and experiment with new things but basically, I don't know what I'm doing.

I do know, however, that I either need to start using smaller resolutions or get a better processor.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 01:06:11

While I like what I did with the wasteland piece from last week, the background lacked detail when compared to the character. It was not what I had intended, and this time, there will be no lack of detail!

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 01:08:13

im liking the perspective and the piece of this one. Also im glad you chose to add more detail! Really enjoying it so far.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 01:19:14

At 6/18/12 01:08 AM, PMMurphy wrote: im liking the perspective and the piece of this one. Also im glad you chose to add more detail! Really enjoying it so far.

Thanks! I was looking over my drawings and felt a massive lack of awesome backgrounds.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 01:24:01

At 6/18/12 01:19 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 6/18/12 01:08 AM, PMMurphy wrote: im liking the perspective and the piece of this one. Also im glad you chose to add more detail! Really enjoying it so far.
Thanks! I was looking over my drawings and felt a massive lack of awesome backgrounds.

Im hoping to see the same amount of detail in the backround as the foreground (talking about the stone and such).

I hope there will be high detail of the stone so i can actually see the individual cracks and textures.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 01:28:46

At 6/18/12 01:24 AM, PMMurphy wrote:
Im hoping to see the same amount of detail in the backround as the foreground (talking about the stone and such).

I hope there will be high detail of the stone so i can actually see the individual cracks and textures.

I'll certainly try! Recalling the last times I tried to do stone / brick on a wall, I can't say I'll succeed, but even then it'll give me something to start from.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 01:37:26

At 6/18/12 01:28 AM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 6/18/12 01:24 AM, PMMurphy wrote:

I'll certainly try! Recalling the last times I tried to do stone / brick on a wall, I can't say I'll succeed, but even then it'll give me something to start from.

Here's some googling.
http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut028.htm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/6156/298/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xew2n477hP8

One is a straight forward photoshop tutorial.
One is a tutorial for pen and ink (realism or photo realism i believe)
The last link is a youtube video of a painter painting a stone wall.

i am under the impression that digital works and traditional use the same techniques when it comes to textures and drawing. So i'm sure you can make use of these things. Go ahead and google high detailed photos of bricks and stones on google (real photos) then take inspiration from those and start implementing your own design and how you want the stones to look and such.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-18 16:56:04

Put some work into the ship and clouds.

The sky is blue now but I'll change it when I figure out how to make it look more awesome.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-19 02:14:33

At 6/18/12 04:56 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Put some work into the ship and clouds.

The sky is blue now but I'll change it when I figure out how to make it look more awesome.

Do you plan on keeping the sky blue or did you want it to be that yellow color? The color of of the sky is going to effect the colors throughout the rest of the image, so you should probably decide what you want to do with that before continuing on.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-19 02:30:00

At 6/19/12 02:14 AM, monsterparty wrote:

Do you plan on keeping the sky blue or did you want it to be that yellow color? The color of of the sky is going to effect the colors throughout the rest of the image, so you should probably decide what you want to do with that before continuing on.

Definitely not blue, I want a golden, setting sun color matching the desert. I simply had it blue there to better distinguish the clouds.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-19 14:35:43

At 6/19/12 02:30 AM, PatBest22 wrote:

Definitely not blue, I want a golden, setting sun color matching the desert. I simply had it blue there to better distinguish the clouds.

I think that right there is the issue. If the clouds don't look right in the sky you want, change the clouds, not the sky. For instance, you colored your cloud with gray and white, which is fine for a blue sky, but that's sort of inappropriate for yellow. Everything should have that warm tint to it. Not just the clouds, but also the buildings and water to make everything fit that mood.

Personally, I think because of the involvement of the ship, a night sky would be pretty awesome. I think it'd be a really good opportunity to play with lighting. You could even have lights coming from the city in the background as well as the buildings in the foreground. Just a suggestion, you don't have to listen to me. :]

Aside from that, I think it's looking really cool. All the attention you're putting into your lines is really paying off.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-19 14:48:28

At 6/19/12 02:35 PM, monsterparty wrote:
Personally, I think because of the involvement of the ship, a night sky would be pretty awesome. I think it'd be a really good opportunity to play with lighting. You could even have lights coming from the city in the background as well as the buildings in the foreground. Just a suggestion, you don't have to listen to me. :]

Aside from that, I think it's looking really cool. All the attention you're putting into your lines is really paying off.

I did plan to add a golden glow on the clouds in the direction of the sun and reflection in the water.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-26 16:17:16

UPDATE TIIIIIIIIIIIIME!
It's not taking me so long because it's hard, I'm just really that lazy and never motivate myself to work on it.
Now I'll leave this here while my cintiq cools down because last thing I want is for this thing to overheat.

I colored the city, added lighting, shadows, colored the sky. I've still got more clouds to do, and then the foreground.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-27 21:42:48

At 6/26/12 04:17 PM, PatBest22 wrote: UPDATE TIIIIIIIIIIIIME!
It's not taking me so long because it's hard, I'm just really that lazy and never motivate myself to work on it.
Now I'll leave this here while my cintiq cools down because last thing I want is for this thing to overheat.

I colored the city, added lighting, shadows, colored the sky. I've still got more clouds to do, and then the foreground.

Coming, out pretty neat man, i know this is unfinished and what not.But the guy i almost didnt notice him, he blended with the background. just pointing that out if you didn't notice.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-06-27 22:05:37

At 6/27/12 09:42 PM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 6/26/12 04:17 PM, PatBest22 wrote: UPDATE TIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Coming, out pretty neat man, i know this is unfinished and what not.But the guy i almost didnt notice him, he blended with the background. just pointing that out if you didn't notice.

You raise a fine point. I'll try to make her more contrasted with the background, like adding the glowing markings on her armor like the previous piece.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-10 18:09:56

Robot day? I'm starting a little late but eh.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-10 19:07:52

Progressinating.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-10 20:14:05

Progressinating pretty damn fast?

Technically I've still got a little under 4 hours to submit, if anyone sees anything I would need to correct...

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-11 00:09:29

Felt like doing more. Won't be done in time for robot day but hopefully at least one page before I go to bed and never touch this project again.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-11 01:01:41

I'm having fun.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-11 01:51:03

One more for the night? This one's still a sketch and I skipped coloring the previous for now.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-12 17:11:14

DONE! Or at least I've reached a point where I'm satisfied and sick of working on this one and want to move on.

Full sized here.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-14 00:42:09

I've been doing sketches while at work. Almost forgot the feel of good old pencil and paper.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-14 00:47:28

At 7/14/12 12:42 AM, PatBest22 wrote: I've been doing sketches while at work. Almost forgot the feel of good old pencil and paper.

And some more assorted faces.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-14 01:50:10

At 6/18/12 01:06 AM, PatBest22 wrote: While I like what I did with the wasteland piece from last week, the background lacked detail when compared to the character. It was not what I had intended, and this time, there will be no lack of detail!

Do you mind if I take this and color it myself? I just want to point out and emphasize a few things that Monsterparty was trying to tell you.

I'm not gonna steal it from you or anything... just a teaching exercise. >_>

Meanwhile, I like the expression practice. She's pretty vicious O_o

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-14 01:53:27

Do you mind if I take this and color it myself? I just want to point out and emphasize a few things that Monsterparty was trying to tell you.
I'm not gonna steal it from you or anything... just a teaching exercise. >_>
Meanwhile, I like the expression practice. She's pretty vicious O_o

Go ahead for the coloring emphasis thing. My brother's also pointing out that my coloring does not go well with my linework and looking back at the uncolored versions of my work now, I'm starting to think I need to approach the coloring from an entirely different direction.

Vicious is also exactly the word I'm looking for. Most female characters are designed to be attractive, pretty, sexual. Not her, her job is not to be beautiful, her job is to be deadly, vicious.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 00:08:26

First things first, I wanna say that I really like your linework and almost all of the lineart you post is amazing. I just love it. Especially on this picture that you let me paint, I'm really impressed.

Thing is, your coloring is really dragging down the quality of your work. Not just the smudge tool you're using, but the colors as well. At this point, I'd say you should just post your lineart and not bother coloring your pics, but I don't want you to. That leaves an unfinished and unsatisfying piece :/
So I wanna help you out with that, but I'm gonna try and explain further what Monsterparty was trying to tell you and see how it affects the outcome of your piece.

I'm gonna be quoting some stuff and adding in my 2 cents along the way, so sorry if it gets a little confusing.

This, right here, is the crucial piece of advice that you needed to listen to before you continued working on this piece. The yellow theme you established in your rough draft of your piece had a great feel to it. Painting the background of your piece, or knowing what it is, first is important because the background and atmosphere has a crucial effect on the colors of everything else. If your sky is orange, everything, even cool colors like blue and green, are going to have warm, orangey tints to them. The blues become more purple. The greens become more yellow.

At 6/19/12 02:35 PM, monsterparty wrote:
At 6/19/12 02:30 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Definitely not blue, I want a golden, setting sun color matching the desert. I simply had it blue there to better distinguish the clouds.
I think that right there is the issue. If the clouds don't look right in the sky you want, change the clouds, not the sky. For instance, you colored your cloud with gray and white, which is fine for a blue sky, but that's sort of inappropriate for yellow. Everything should have that warm tint to it. Not just the clouds, but also the buildings and water to make everything fit that mood.

What Monsterparty is telling you here is some great advice and general color theory. White and gray clouds simply don't fit in a sunset scenario.
Examples: 1 2 3 4
See? None of them are gray, and they certainly aren't blue. They all contain warm colors from the setting sun. The coolest you're gonna get is a bluish-purple, because purple is warm. Even if the sky was blue, the clouds would be a collection of cooler colors, but still wouldn't be an unsaturated gray.

Also, you really gotta stop using the smudge tool, and start using the brush tool at different opacities to achieve your blending. That is a major problem with the picture too, but isn't exactly what I'm trying to address (but you should fix it :P).

At 6/19/12 02:48 PM, PatBest22 wrote: I did plan to add a golden glow on the clouds in the direction of the sun and reflection in the water.

Unfortunately, that just doesn't cut it. You can't slap on the sunset's affect on the image as an afterthought, you have to include it throughout the entire picture's process.

Oh, and, the golden glow that you're adding, you contrasted it by shading under the clouds, ship, and goddess with black. that... doesn't happen. It should be a deeper color of whatever it is over, and not nearly as obvious as you've made it.

The reflection of the water also suffers because of the post-painting addition of the golden glow.
Examples of sunset + water: 1 2 3
The water isn't even blue. Instead, it reflects a helluva lot of the sun's color so it ends up looking like fire-water!! >:O But seriously, I think you get my point.

Below I included my paint-over of your sketch.
Here is the dump version of it, and here is the paint-over before I changed the canvas size and removed the goddess.

I wanna give you a rundown of what I did and why.

I started with the background first, with a nice warm orange-yellow. From there I just used the brush at low opacity and threw some reds and purples into it like a normal sunset. I picked a light orange-yellow for the clouds, and some deeper reds>purples for the clouds. Remember, I want to keep everything warm.
Next I did the hills in the background. I picked a really yellow-green color for the edge, where the sun creeps over the tops of the hills. then, for the rest of it, I needed a darker green, but if I made them any more saturated, they would seem too cool, so I went with a really desaturated green, almost gray.
Next were the buildings, which I picked a nice, warm beige. I shaded them with a gray-red, which I changed a bit into a deeper red once I finished the water.
The water I originally made purple, so that it's blue identity would be more noticeable. I shaded it throughout with yellows and oranges, but afterwards messed with the hue until it really mirrored the sky, reflecting those colors in pinks and bright yellows. Oh, by the way, I thought of the city to be encompassing a bay or something, and didn't realize that it was on the mountain range until it was too late, lol. But, moving on...
At that point I painted the goddess quickly, but was disappointed as, the same with you, the character really seemed to get lost in the detail of the background. So, what I decided to do was remove her altogether. Yes, I understand she is perhaps what this image is based around, but she simply didn't fit.
With her removal and a suggestion from lovingthedark, I stretched the picture. Originally it was going to be to find a way to make the goddess fit, but I think it emphasized the landscape aspect of the picture.
I kept the ship the same size and decided to include it, since it helped occupy the empty space in the corner. I shaded it with a dark reddish-gray, but highlighted it with oranges and yellows. I put some fanshy blue lights and gave them a glow, and painted some clouds over it.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, color schemes, they're important. The only thing in this entire picture that isn't warm are the lights on the ship, and that brings focus to them. I hope that I didn't just ramble on and you can learn something from this. ^_^' It was really fun to color this too.

If you want me to follow up on this or anything, feel free to shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to help further if anything was unclear.

Characters remaining: 370

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:46:58

Woah, lots to read. But I went through all of it ( and will probably do it again just to make sure I understood properly ) and I do have a couple things to say.

The first has to do with the smudge tool and blending. I've been practicing blending with the brush and opacities but have not yet reached a level where I'm happy of the work I did. I even tried it on this drawing before deciding to use the smudge tool. It's something I've got to practice more with.

Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden, like so. This is far from the pink and purple present in your version, which is not what I envisioned for the colors at all.

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:51:44

At 7/15/12 01:46 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden, like so. This is far from the pink and purple present in your version, which is not what I envisioned for the colors at all.

Those are very warm photos, what with all the red and yellow.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Pat's drawings - feedback wanted. 2012-07-15 01:55:47

At 7/15/12 01:51 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/15/12 01:46 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Second is about the warm colors. Warm wasn't really what I wanted. I was looking more for dark and golden, like so. This is far from the pink and purple present in your version, which is not what I envisioned for the colors at all.
Those are very warm photos, what with all the red and yellow.

But no pink and purple, which is what I'm trying to say by poorly expressing myself.