00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoJoshke just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,366 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-13 20:00:11

At 6/13/11 08:34 AM, midimachine wrote: How does it increase the chance of people making torrents for this at all?

We really shouldn't be nazis about piracy; pirates gonna pirate, and trying to stop it just makes things shitty for legitimate customers.

Because people who buy products are less likely to upload it as they've forked out for it. If we give it to everyone who gets on the cd, then its a free grab for 'em. So they are more likely to pass it on for free. All in theory of course. Pirates are gonna pirate, true. But this sort of holds it off for a while with making it less likely.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-13 20:24:08

Even if that were true, it wouldn't pose enough of a nuisance to warrant jewing 12 great musicians (who understand how piracy harms labels and publishers too, no less) out of a token of appreciation.

And besides, somebody would have to pay for the free stuff these guys would get, and the money would still go to charity.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-13 22:03:45

I know i havent been here in a couple of pages but my main concern is-Where's the contest Thread?

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-13 23:44:42

At 6/13/11 10:03 PM, NimblekidX wrote: I know i havent been here in a couple of pages but my main concern is-Where's the contest Thread?

Contest thread is underway!

Discussion is still open, however!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-14 04:51:36

At 6/13/11 08:24 PM, midimachine wrote: Even if that were true, it wouldn't pose enough of a nuisance to warrant jewing 12 great musicians (who understand how piracy harms labels and publishers too, no less) out of a token of appreciation.

And besides, somebody would have to pay for the free stuff these guys would get, and the money would still go to charity.

Not really, it'll just be hosted here at NG. We havent discussed if proceedings on behalf of the cd would go to charity. True though about the creators. They'd be harming themselves. Dont get me wrong, i do like the idea of it going to all the people who get featured, im just trying to think of the pros and cons.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-14 05:10:20

Hey everyone,

I just read about this cd idea and i think it's sick!!!

I would really wanna join (or compete) in the general rock/indie genre

anyway i'll keep on looking on the forum when it's time to make the music. Just wanted too let you know i'm in.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-14 10:17:00

Ok, first, how would the judges know who were the first 3 artists?
Of course, it can be decided, but it has to be more work for the judges, and it becomes what everyone wanted to avoid, a competition.
Therefore, everyone who gets on the cd should get a free copy.
Otherwise, they don't earn money because it goes to charity, and they even have to pay for their own work.
Not a very clever idea.
It became as a discussion whether money goes to charity or to artists, and now we are discussing whether they have to pay, or get it free as they deserve.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-15 02:55:09

I know this is way late in the game and maybe too unrealistic but what if it were a mp3 cd filled with hundreds of NG artists' songs for charity? Anyway great idea, hope it takes off and does really well, I'll buy a copy

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-15 07:47:49

After a month of writer's block, I'm finally making my first pop song, with orchestral influences, which I'll probably submit to this CD, so get on with it and make the contest thread please :D.

Sorry, just following orders.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-15 08:16:17

lol. :P How in earth do you do that?

At 6/15/11 02:55 AM, charlie-sheening wrote: I know this is way late in the game and maybe too unrealistic but what if it were a mp3 cd filled with hundreds of NG artists' songs for charity? Anyway great idea, hope it takes off and does really well, I'll buy a copy

U'know, I hate and love this idea. Love it as it gives everyone a shot, and makes it jammed packed.

But hate it simply because it makes the CD less special, judging will be far too hard as well as mastering that beast, the rules have to change from submitting new things only just to fill it and then its a matter of that you can already get stuff on cd in the portal. Making the CD redundant. Quality is also sacraficed, yeah fair enough 320kbps tracks are excellent, but with standard cd format we produce wav's instead. Also, then what do you do about selling tracks individually? It'l then be so much cheaper to buy all of it. So, yeah, there's so many problems that occur when you say make it 100 artists instead of say 14 per CD. Remember its someones job to make sure the CD's continuity is just right and that all the levels are well balanced, nobody will want to do that if they have 700mb of tracks to go through. There's just too much work involved, we're stretching it as it is with a double cd i think.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-15 10:28:47

Gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about how much effort it would take to get everything balanced and put in the right order so it doesn't constantly sound like a train wreck changing from song to song.

Just thought the concept of a CD full of mp3's from NG artists all for charity was a pleasant thought process, was also trying to think of how to make it more appealing for people to purchase. I was thinking, even if most or even all the songs were already on NG and not new content, it would still sell just for convenience because that'd be hundreds of songs that are decent or better sorted in some kind of logical fashion of genre as opposed to going through for hours and hours downloading tracks.

But I see your point. I should do less thinking and more making music, anyway :P I'll help if there's something I can do but I'm buying the CD or double CD or whatever you all end up with

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-15 12:09:26

At 6/15/11 10:28 AM, charlie-sheening wrote: Gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about how much effort it would take to get everything balanced and put in the right order so it doesn't constantly sound like a train wreck changing from song to song.

Just thought the concept of a CD full of mp3's from NG artists all for charity was a pleasant thought process, was also trying to think of how to make it more appealing for people to purchase. I was thinking, even if most or even all the songs were already on NG and not new content, it would still sell just for convenience because that'd be hundreds of songs that are decent or better sorted in some kind of logical fashion of genre as opposed to going through for hours and hours downloading tracks.

But I see your point. I should do less thinking and more making music, anyway :P I'll help if there's something I can do but I'm buying the CD or double CD or whatever you all end up with

yeah I can see your logic, and absolutely, it would be great to have something to just go through a bunch of awesome tracks. I did suggest to a NGRadio which plays through lots of tracks in the portal in each genre, it's on of those wip though.

By the looks of it, there will be a few cds. Depending on the mood they're going for. Jetpack explains it earlier here. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-15 22:15:27

Hey guys and... girls?

The contest thread will be up sometime either tommorow or the day after. Stay tunes for juices to start flowing.

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-16 00:06:22

OH YEAH!!!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-16 05:14:07

People are anxious to see that contest thread, but you haven't yet finished discussing one important thing.
Should authors be allowed to post more than one song?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-16 09:33:35

I feel that pretty much everything needed for discussion, for the contest thread to be created, has been discussed and brought up. I have decided to only allow people to submit NO MORE THAN TWO SONGS. this allows people to make an even better track if they feel that they need to / can. I have a list of simple rules that everyone should follow, and they will be mentioned thoroughly in the contest thread.

Also, in case you were wondering, people have 3 months to come out with their best track. This gives people plenty of time to discover the contest + make a track.

Once the contest is started, we will still need to go bal to this discussion and go over things like:

How many hard copies of each album will made?
Who will help pitch funds for making each hard copy?
What should we do to encourage people to review and critique the work posted?
Etc

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-16 11:04:38

I'm still thinking of angles, trying to figure out how to salvage more efficiency.. would it be feasible to put up the CDs of the winners for sale but then also do some kind of batch download for all the submissions for free or donation or something? I'd do all the inglorious grunt work of making sure the volumes were balanced for a bulk MP3 of qualifying songs that didn't get on the CDs. I'm just thinking because I'm the type of listener that would like an all-in-one download for bulk contest entrants and would donate if it helped a charity, and I'm also the type of musician that would donate songs to try to qualify for something like that. Just trying to help.

tl;dr: if it'd work, i'll volunteer to do the legwork on balancing the volume and organizing alphabetically or by genre or whatever a bulk MP3 download to help support the CD contest's submission and listener drive, especially if it somehow gets a charity more money/awareness

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-16 16:05:06

How many hard copies of each album will made?
Who will help pitch funds for making each hard copy?
What should we do to encourage people to review and critique the work posted?
Etc

Then, maybe it would be smarter to only sell digital downloads, as I think more people prefer download than cd.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-16 17:06:10

Could also do something somewhere on CafePress or similar, I mean the average Joe can set up an account with a publisher/dropshipper, NG could probably swing some kind of custom account with a place like that where Tom or whoever would be the only one with access to the profit but users in charge of the contest could upload the content and publish the merch on the storefront, be easy to embed such a storefront so its tied in with NG's actual store and not mess anything up. It's not hard to get CDs made, I like the digital download idea myself though but I'll purchase whatever the end result is

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 11:03:07

HEY KINKY KANGAROOS

Expect a contest thread today with:

- A list of rules to follow on making your submission
- A list of judges with an explanation of how thy will be judging.
- A sort of HEADQUARTERS where all material wanting to be in the album will be posted.
- Lots of goes and info

Let's get this show on the road! Good luck everyone. Remember to continue dissuasion in thi thread. We still have a few kinks to work out.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 13:54:33

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 14:25:32

At 6/18/11 01:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: [4] - Submit your finished track to BANDCAMP and make it to where people can not download it.

Wait you do know that this doesn't prevent them from downloading right? The downloadhelper add-on for Firefox and the "What you Hear" record input option both allow you to easily bypass this "safety feature".

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 14:41:46

Sup Yall...

I have been following this somewhat throughout although I was too lazy to try and provide any input thus far, and most of the important issues had already been covered and settled well anyway. So sorry about that.

Anyway, as I was rereading everything and making sure I knew exactly where things were, I didn't notice two things that had been sort of discussed but not to a point of a definite answer. So I have two (hypothetical) questions related to the same issue...

1.) On the off chance that this massive project isn't as massive as it would need to be to make the quota of submissions, what would be the course of actions to counter this when all is said and nearly done?

2.) What would happen if the submissions submitted to the contest became genre-top-heavy? Like say if there were more than enough submissions for one of the 4 albums, but a different album didn't have nearly as many as it would need?

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 16:35:13

At 6/18/11 02:25 PM, brokendeck wrote:
At 6/18/11 01:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: [4] - Submit your finished track to BANDCAMP and make it to where people can not download it.
Wait you do know that this doesn't prevent them from downloading right? The downloadhelper add-on for Firefox and the "What you Hear" record input option both allow you to easily bypass this "safety feature".

Nevermind submitting them to bandcamp! Why are we submitting them to a thread!? Nobody on newgrounds should be at all able to listen to it. You should be able to upload anywhere as long as we PM whoever is in charge. People are going to be seeing whos on the cd, go back and download manually without paying a dime. It's too risky a decision to let everyone hear it. Very rarely do competitors see/hear what others do for competitions.

Dont get me wrong, i want to hear all the tracks, but I think this should be discussed...if I was cheap, i'd simply download em as they get submitted 1 by 1. :/

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 19:43:19

We are submitting it to a thread so that the community can view everyones work without access to the download feature on bandcamp. Sure, there are ways of recording these submissions and saving them to your computer, but all in all it would be very time consuming and real dickish to pirate each track one by one. I have thought over the possibilities, and feel that creating a thread that hosts the submissions is the proper move in order for COMMUNITY reasons!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-18 19:48:00

Ooorrrr... I could create a private page that requires a password to access. This page would basically be a replica of the submission thread, but it wouldn't be available to the general public. This will allow for everyone within the audio community to help one another by listening to each track, but at the same time it will prevent outsiders from coming in and pirating the music. What do you say to this? I would delete the submission thread and turn it into a SIGN UP thread. Everyone who posts, signs up, and I PM the password to the private web page.

Cause yeah, if we just post links to every song people are going to pirate them even if we prevent downloads on bandcamp.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 06:43:12

At 6/18/11 07:48 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Ooorrrr... I could create a private page that requires a password to access.

I think this is a good idea. You might want to enact it quickly to prevent hoardes of people filling up the Submission thread and having to re-upload everything though.

bork bork bork

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 08:20:03

At 6/18/11 07:48 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Ooorrrr... I could create a private page that requires a password to access. Everyone who posts, signs up, and I PM the password to the private web page.

Now we're talking. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 08:36:36

This post is taken from the submission thread.

At 6/19/11 06:07 AM, NimblekidX wrote: I know for a fact it's pretty damn early in the competition to submit work,but i was working on this the WHOLE day and so i decided to submit it at an early date so i can be sure i have somewhat of a chance to enter the Album- i just hope because i finished as one of the first doesn't put me at any penalty or fault,or talks about my music being rushed >Trapped-Jose Hernandez(NimblekidX)

Nimblekid firstly you never said what album you want it in, although I think you should reconsider this entry. It's needing a lot of work.

I know you said you used the whole day, but you have until the 18th of October to submit something. This CD is going to be full of a higher standard than the norm as once it catches on people are really going to give it their all. I suggest you do the same, never submit a track the same day you make it, because guaranteed you'll hear things the following day you didnt the day you made it. Not only that but your submission was completely on the left channel, there was nothing on the right basically shooting yourself in the foot. I suggest you rework it as much as you can, and welcome and good luck to the competition! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 09:50:34

Oh man, this is the greatest idea ever! I'm absolutely gonna give it a shot. Luckily I have a few unfinished projects lying around. Some finishing and optimizing should do the trick.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature