00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,274 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is only an idea currently. I haven't even talked to the big man himself, Fom Tulp, but with proper support this could turn into an actual NG store item!

Anyway, I was taking a shit the other day and I thought to myself, "man what if a whole bunch of us audio regulars got together and created a cd to be sold in the newgrounds store..." a smile came across my face and here I am now making this thread.

The main idea is to create an album with 1 - 4 discs featuring multiple musicians that span across multiple genres. Newgrounds is chock full of hidden musical gems and talent. I think it would be incredibly easy to make a quality CD with so much great music floating around. Every month I seem to come across a new and awesome sound on newgrounds, from the gentle, haunting sounds of Tome89, to the trip-hop dubstep combinations of the chill haywirehaywire. All in all, I think it would be really awesome to promote the audio portal with a collaborative album of some sorts.

The album would include many genres including techno, classical, progressive, trance, ambient, hip-hop, jazz, rock, heavy metal, and drone. With simple design, we can put together a track list that cleverly and smoothly changes genres. We don't even have to mix anything, we just place the tracks accordingly.

If people think this is a good idea, we can start a search for music that everyone feels should be included. There are A LOT of choices to choose from, so we would gather up everything in a neat pile and vote on the best ones in a sort of democratic vote I would assume. I can get together with a few guys and create a simple 10 point system that everyone should follow when picking songs.

To stay organized, we would have a different genre every week and have everyone go out and search for their favorite songs on Newgrounds that fall under the genre category. People would choose a maximum of THREE songs. After everything is picked, we would vote on the best and pick 1 - 3 songs to put into the album. We would repeat this for a few weeks until we have a suitable collection at our disposal. We would probably have somewhere around 30 - 40 songs.

So... all in all, we should discuss this! If people really want this to happen, I will get down and dirty on organizing everything, staying up to date, contacting Tom about it, and developing a simple judging system that everyone can use to decide who belongs on this album.

Let me know what you think!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 03:54:18

Personally, I think it's a shit idea. I just can't see us making the right decisions on this.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 04:49:52

i think its a cool idea but wouldnt it be better to have new tracks produced for this album, rather than just picking songs already in the NG domain?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 04:56:18

At 5/25/11 04:49 AM, SessileNomad wrote: i think its a cool idea but wouldnt it be better to have new tracks produced for this album, rather than just picking songs already in the NG domain?

I agree. It's a cool idea but I think we should make new tracks for it. I'd suggest getting people to post in this thread with their best music and then you choose a list of the best artists in your opinion and each one of these artists produces a song for the album.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 08:27:36

At 5/25/11 04:56 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I agree. It's a cool idea but I think we should make new tracks for it. I'd suggest getting people to post in this thread with their best music and then you choose a list of the best artists in your opinion and each one of these artists produces a song for the album.

Yes i am more then willing to create some songs for this Album! And im pretty sure others here would have no problem making a cool song for this NG album.

P.S
I say shotgun on Drum And Bass!!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 08:57:11

At 5/25/11 04:56 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I agree. It's a cool idea but I think we should make new tracks for it. I'd suggest getting people to post in this thread with their best music and then you choose a list of the best artists in your opinion and each one of these artists produces a song for the album.

Came to post this.

This might help me with my writer's block.

EP2 out now! Download it for free :).

soundcloud | newgrounds

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 09:49:07

i definitely support this idea to the point where we should make it a regular thing where every 6 to 8 months maybe even annually i would love to be included as well but i dont think im one of those top artists out there if you cant get others to agree check my stuff my stuff

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 09:55:15

Im working on a super sexy track so yeah , it will be awesome to contribute with you guys. Of course if you want to.

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 10:09:44

Part of me thinks all the varied mixing/production styles/qualities would make for a rather hodge-podge result. People can already download music for free from here from any artist. I don't see the draw to buy a mosh pit of audio when they can selectively pick what they want for free.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 10:52:22

At 5/25/11 10:09 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote: Part of me thinks all the varied mixing/production styles/qualities would make for a rather hodge-podge result. People can already download music for free from here from any artist. I don't see the draw to buy a mosh pit of audio when they can selectively pick what they want for free.

You make a good point. I doubt there are many people who will be interested in a CD with different genres of music - if we're going to make CD's for the store, we should do it one CD per genre, like an electronic CD, metal CD, orchestral CD, etc...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 10:55:29

It's not a bad idea, but would people be willing to buy physical CDs when they can download for free?

s

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 11:33:16

You make a good point. I doubt there are many people who will be interested in a CD with different genres of music - if we're going to make CD's for the store, we should do it one CD per genre, like an electronic CD, metal CD, orchestral CD, etc...

I agree with you that people should produce tracks for this new CD, since that would be great for the community and all. It would be more difficult, but the results would be a lot better and audio artists from all around NG would come in to enter this contest since it has a wide variety of genres.

I disagree that people wont buy the album just because it has multiple genres. If I saw an album in the NG store that had multiple genres of music from Newgrounds, I would totally buy it. You would be surprised how many people would enjoy opening up their minds to new sounds they have never heard of before. Hell, the only genre most people can't stand is country. Plus, as I said before, if we had more genres in this album then there would be more opportunities for NG musicians to enter, since there is a wide range of genres that never get any sort of contests.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 11:37:33

At 5/25/11 10:55 AM, DreamsfromGin wrote: It's not a bad idea, but would people be willing to buy physical CDs when they can download for free?

This is where the whole idea of artists making new tracks for the album comes in.

Also, just as a thought, I would say the profits would be donated to charity, simply because the profits would otherwise be splitted amongst a handfull of people and everyone wouldnt get but a buck per purchase lol. Also, Tom would probably be more than happy to sponsor this thing if it were a charity event.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 14:19:36

i think making a cd with all new songs from people is a great idea, especially for charity. Do you think the artist should meet certain criteria before being considered for an album or should they only be judged on who volunteers?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 14:29:27

At 5/25/11 11:33 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I disagree that people wont buy the album just because it has multiple genres. If I saw an album in the NG store that had multiple genres of music from Newgrounds, I would totally buy it. You would be surprised how many people would enjoy opening up their minds to new sounds they have never heard of before. Hell, the only genre most people can't stand is country. Plus, as I said before, if we had more genres in this album then there would be more opportunities for NG musicians to enter, since there is a wide range of genres that never get any sort of contests.

Personally I'm not sure about it. I rarely find people who like more than a handful of genres, and even then that handful of genres are usually very related to each other. If someone can't stand hip-hop, for example, then s/he'd be less inclined to buy the CD if s/he knows there are going to be songs which s/he won't want to listen to from it because the CD will feature songs from many genres which include hip-hop.

Maybe it's a better idea to make a compilation of CD's, each dedicated to a different genre. I don't know.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 14:36:29

just if you were wondering, I would never buy it or any variation of it, especially if the songs were already available for free on Newgrounds.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 14:37:48

At 5/25/11 02:29 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Maybe it's a better idea to make a compilation of CD's, each dedicated to a different genre. I don't know.

I like this idea better. Not that I actually sympathize "genre" as a term in music, but I agree that a minimal categorization between the CDs must be done.
For example, something like: the first CD is dedicated to orchestral score, the second one to rock music, the third one to relaxing, downtempo electronics, and the fourth one to harsh, more experimental and upbeat electronics.
What do you think?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 14:48:54

I wouldn't mind doing this, but if we choose songs that are already on NG then what's the point of buying the album? Honestly, I'd rather not make any money off of it if my songs were chosen and have the money be donated to a charity or something.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 17:14:41

At 5/25/11 02:48 PM, EricFreeman wrote: I wouldn't mind doing this, but if we choose songs that are already on NG then what's the point of buying the album? Honestly, I'd rather not make any money off of it if my songs were chosen and have the money be donated to a charity or something.

I agree with you, if my music got on this (which it wouldn't, haha) I'd want the proceeds to go to charity or something.

I like the idea people brought up about making new songs for it, but what if the song is right shit? That's where using a song that's already on NG would come in handy. (Not to say I think this is the greatest idea, mind you, just throwing this out there)

The idea of having them grouped into different genres is cool and all but I think it would take away from the mystique of the whole idea. From a marketing standpoint it's a great idea, but from a musical standpoint it sounds blah.

I think further deliberation is needed on the subject.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 17:32:09

Neat Idea. Maybe my Internet Band, "The Experienced", could write something for it. I'll get back to you if we decide to do it.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 19:05:25

Many good points brought up in here. First, people won't buy it if it's free online on Newgrounds already. Second, people like to purchase relatively cohesive albums, so too many styles on a single CD wouldn't be very good.

I think multiple relatively genre-cohesive CD's with brand new music from a variety of NG composers would be a great idea. If anything gets started with this be sure to let me know, I'd love to help you out.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 19:23:05

At 5/25/11 02:29 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Maybe it's a better idea to make a compilation of CD's, each dedicated to a different genre. I don't know.

This might be better.

And sadly no one seems to be buying whole albums anymore, they seem to wait for the next single to come out, then go buy just that song from the album. But hopefully this idea would work here somehow

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 20:21:23

Why would anyone pay for a CD composed of free tunes they can just download simply off NG? Though, I do support this idea. Can't impact anyone negativity I don't think. Promoting upcoming artists is what we need more of. I would say get a group of people and start making some new stuff, so the album is actually worth buying. Maybe some unreleased tracks from some good artists and new stuff. Also, there is no way you can make a NG CD without having dubstep on there. People simply won't allow it.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 21:17:36

At 5/25/11 04:49 AM, SessileNomad wrote: i think its a cool idea but wouldnt it be better to have new tracks produced for this album, rather than just picking songs already in the NG domain?

I agree with sessile. it would be alot better to just choose rising artists to make new tracks exclusive to the CD instead of voting on music that can easily just be downloaded.

if we do have an orchestral part to this project,count me in!(even though you cant hear my style since my music's not up yet since im kinda new here ><)

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 21:26:03

disregarding the fact that songs can easily be downloaded from the Audio Portal free of charge, it is an interesting idea. if every track on the CD were collaborations rather than single artist tracks, it could find its way onto the store.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 22:34:32

I'm seeing a lot of "Herp derp the music is already free on NG" comments. Does nobody ever read through the entire thread anymore? The point has been brought up, and a solution has been proposed.
Only new songs for the CD!!

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 23:25:27

Famous authors with new songs.

Three albums can be made

Album 1- Electronic - Techno, dub step, trance
Album 2- Hip hop, rap and R&B
Album 3- Rock, metal and countryish

Those are my thoughts.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-25 23:48:07

At 5/25/11 11:25 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Famous authors with new songs.

Three albums can be made

Album 1- Electronic - Techno, dub step, trance

Those are my thoughts.

I like this idea. Although personally, I wouldn't have country on a rock/metal CD. Most fans of those styles(from my experience) don't really like country. And actually, NG doesn't seem to have a country following anyway. I think it would be best to exclude country entirely. I'd definitely buy it, I like Trance, Old School Hip Hop, Rock, and some variations of Metal. I think this may be the best setup.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-26 00:11:04

At 5/25/11 11:25 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Album 1- Electronic - Techno, dub step, trance

What, no love for classical and cinematic music? :'(

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-26 00:25:16

BEFORE POSTING READ THIS

So far people have brought up very good points to organize this idea into reality. Here are some ideas that we can use:

1.) The album should include new songs not available on the portal. We will have various, short termed contests for each genre and choose the top 3 winners to be added into the album.

2.) Due to the inability to determine if people will enjoy the fact that the album has multiple genres on it, we should instead develop multiple albums to be sold in the store. This will take longer, but in the long run provide the audio portal with a nice project that might get us noticed + money for charity.

3.) Since there are so many people that will be put on the albums, we should donate all funds towards charity. Otherwise, everyone would get only $20 or so for condoms and electricity bills.

4.) The list of genres for each album can include:

- A technoish electric album that has dubstep, progressive, house, techno, and trance.
- An indie style album that includes more non-midi based songs such as Heavy Metal, Rock, and Hip-Hop.
- A chilled, heartwarming album that includes ambient, classical, drone, and orchestra.

These three are just examples. We can discuss which albums should be made later.

Discussion continue!:)