00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Texntyler just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,374 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 11:34:31

HEY NEWCOMERS, READ THIS PLEASE BEFORE POSTING! Otherwise you'll just get yelled at ;)

Things that need to be discussed:

1.) On the off chance that this massive project isn't as massive as it would need to be to make the quota of submissions, what would be the course of actions to counter this when all is said and nearly done?

2.) What would happen if the submissions submitted to the contest became genre-top-heavy? Like say if there were more than enough submissions for one of the 4 albums, but a different album didn't have nearly as many as it would need?

Feel free to bring up NEW points of discussion! Here are the things we have discussed so far:

This list contains everything we have gone over so far. Feel free to discuss it if you disagree with it, bring new points up, or PM me for info / if you want to be a judge or do some other help in promoting this. If you don't want to get involved just yet, that's fine, but please tell us that you are interested so we can send you a nifty PM when its time for you to make music like a boss.

1.)The album should include new songs not available on the portal. We will have various, short termed contests for each theme and choose the top winners to be added into the specific theme album.

2.) Due to the inability to determine if people will enjoy the fact that the album has multiple genres on it, we should instead develop multiple themed albums based around certain genres that fit well together. Each album will be sold to the NG store with about 20+ songs on each album.

3.) Since there are so many people that will be put on the albums, we should donate all funds towards charity. Otherwise, everyone would get only $10 or so for condoms and electricity bills.

4.) The list of genres for each album can include:

- Heartwarming, serious themed album based around the orchestral, folk, jazz, solos, and classical genres."
- Upbeat, dance/grindcore themed album based around Dubstep, Drum N Bass, progressive, and trance."
- Hardcore, brutal themed album based around metal, rock, face melters, and others."
- Chill, visual themed album based around ambient, pop, drone, 8-bit, and experimental/glitch.

5.) In order to decide who get's in each album, we will create a CONTEST THREAD after discussion is over. This contest thread will have all of the specific rules and regulations that revolve around how you post your music! Everyone who would like to enter would create their song for the said theme and upload it in a loseless format to the given online private uploading service such as Bandcamp or even MediaFire. This way, everyones music will only be available for the judges / anyone who gets the password from the individual track.

6.) Once the contest is over, a team of judges and I will use a judging sheet to determine which the best tracks are. This "judging sheet" wlll most likely be out of 100 points and will be judged based on Quality, Fit, Originality, e.t.c. Only we judges have to worry about this though! :)

7.) Everyone who doesn't make it in will then be allowed to submit their song on the NG Audio Portal for proper criticism and suggestions. The main reasoning behind letting EVERYONE submit a newly made piece is to give EVERYONE a chance at getting into this. If someone ends up working hard and not making it in, then at least they can say they tried their best and therefore improved!

8.)Each album will be designed by someone over on the art portal.

9.)Each album will be mastered and mixed properly from a professional quality technician over here.

10.) We can promote and sell this album in just more than the NG store! With proper research on security to prevent piracy, we can sell this album in Itunes, ReverbNation, e.t.c. but it will mainly be created for Newgrounds by Newgrounds ro promote the Newgrounds audio community and Newgrounds as a whole... NEWGROUNDS.

11.) It has been decided that everyone will produce a new track for the album and choose the best tracks made to put on the album. This way, everyone can get involved, receive critique, and develop online friendships along the way. It will really strengthen the community.

CURRENTLY I NEED VOLUNTEERS THAT WILL:

Help Judge
Help Promote
Simply Help! :)

Thank you for everyone who has helped so far! This is getting some amazing recognition :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 13:57:57

Just in general interest, what kind of artworker have you got? Because we need something that looks proffessional, not something flash-esk.

If we need someone with an edge I can always cook something up. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 14:06:49

Also, where's the hat to put my name in? I have just done that now? If so, excellent!

Should be marvellous fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 18:32:51

At 6/19/11 04:15 PM, zelazon wrote: Would u like to take a look at the song I'm submitting? Because I have no idea what other people think of the song that I created for this contest, and need someone to review it before I submit it in (only if you want)

Sure. I dont want to make it practice of it though, as its up to the judges to make the main call, but sure if it helps for you to get some feedback. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 20:11:24

I'll volunteer to help wherever needed, jetpak

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 20:54:32

Ok so if this is now the right thread to enter this album, I hereby officially ask to participate in your wonderful album.

:D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 22:49:29

At 6/19/11 08:54 PM, brokendeck wrote: Ok so if this is now the right thread to enter this album, I hereby officially ask to participate in your wonderful album.

D

What this guy said. I really need to shake the rust off and get musicking.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 23:06:37

I'm entering also, even though I already kinda said that before, might as well make sure I get in.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-19 23:13:41

Oh, we do that here? Well just in case I'm in for submitting a song

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 00:26:00

At 6/19/11 11:06 PM, djInTheDark wrote: I'm entering also, even though I already kinda said that before, might as well make sure I get in.

Same

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 03:00:43

At 6/19/11 11:06 PM, djInTheDark wrote: I'm entering also, even though I already kinda said that before, might as well make sure I get in.

Same here, just in case i didn't say so earlier lol

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 03:22:12

Well after all this talk ive decided not to enter...

lol. Yeah....riiiight.Im in.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 09:22:33

Woh now hang on there peanut butter smacks...

what??

I am making a sign up thread to sign up in. Basically, this sign up thread will replace the originally intended contest thread. "signing up" means that you get a PM with a password to a private website. This site will contain all the contest Information, rules, and a place for submitting your final amazingly bodacious track. This will allow the audio community to hear and give their opinion on all the music submitted, but NOT allow outsiders to come in and download/steal the music! Since we are making 4 albums, 8CDs, and 120 songs all together... That's a lot of music to steal! Having a private password protected submission page just for us seems to be the right way to go.

So, all in all we will have two threads:

A signup thread
This thread for discussion

Stay tuned for the signup thread :)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 10:22:40

At 6/20/11 09:22 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I am making a sign up thread to sign up in. Basically, this sign up thread will replace the originally intended contest thread. "signing up" means that you get a PM with a password to a private website.

Then we still have to say if we wanna participate or not, otherwise you wouldn't know who you have to send a Pm with the information. ;)

Btw, you can send me one. I'm joining.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 12:15:39

Yeah but tell me on the signup thread instead, when it's made tonight, so that te discussion thread stays on discussion and isn't overflowed with I'll join posts.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 13:19:23

At 6/19/11 08:36 AM, PeterSatera wrote: I know you said you used the whole day, but you have until the 18th of October to submit something. This CD is going to be full of a higher standard than the norm as once it catches on people are really going to give it their all. I suggest you do the same, never submit a track the same day you make it, because guaranteed you'll hear things the following day you didnt the day you made it. Not only that but your submission was completely on the left channel, there was nothing on the right basically shooting yourself in the foot. I suggest you rework it as much as you can, and welcome and good luck to the competition! :)

Yikes! Well,i guess it wasn't that well of a piece anyways,might as well start anew,using a chamber-like chord progression,since i've been experimenting with a lot of chords and progressions and stuff for quite the while now..

P.S: The whole left-channel right-channel thing is because i forgot to switch the channels back to neutral because my right speakers are broken,leaving only my left speakers.
P.S.S: do we post here for the password to the submission website? I can't wait to participate! :)

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 13:24:02

At 6/20/11 01:19 PM, NimblekidX wrote:
P.S.S: do we post here for the password to the submission website? I can't wait to participate! :)

I think FatKid clarified this enough times xP.

He'll be making a new signup thread and we can post in this thread to have the password sent to us via PM. Basically, password requests go in that thread once he makes it. This thread remains for discussion.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 13:52:43

Are we allowed to upload our songs to Soundcloud as well, and then disable downloading them? It would be a good thing for posting WIP's, since posting those on Bandcamp would be a bit strange.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 13:56:12

At 6/20/11 01:52 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Are we allowed to upload our songs to Soundcloud as well, and then disable downloading them? It would be a good thing for posting WIP's, since posting those on Bandcamp would be a bit strange.

If we where to do this, we'd have to somehow make it private to only those who are working with the project, and i don't know if that's possible

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 14:05:11

At 6/20/11 01:56 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: If we where to do this, we'd have to somehow make it private to only those who are working with the project, and i don't know if that's possible

There is an option to make your track private and make it visible for only a selected group of people, but you're gonna need all the email addresses of the participants then, which would be a clumsy thing to do.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 14:12:14

At 6/20/11 02:05 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
There is an option to make your track private and make it visible for only a selected group of people, but you're gonna need all the email addresses of the participants then, which would be a clumsy thing to do.

But necessary, since there are people out there who would find a way to get the song for free, since there are recording programs out there and lots of asses who would do such a thing

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 15:49:26

I understand the concerns about downloads, but at a certain point we just have to stop flipping out about the possibility of downloads. What if someone signs up as an artist just to get access and then distribute the songs for free? What if, what if, what if.. I don't think there is going to be a giant sea of people crashing into the contest trying to hoard all the entries for piracy. From what I've read, I take it this is going to be something where all participating artists have access to all submitted songs so that we can benefit from a kind of peer review thing, so there's not a whole lot that can be done as far as preventing possibilities of people leaking the MP3s, even if the website(s) involved aren't SUPPOSED to allow for download. It would be really handy if Tom would just add MP3 to the list of file types that can be shared in the dumping grounds.. Honestly I don't see why that's not already an option, with all the different audio collabs that happen (official and otherwise). Doesn't seem like a huge undertaking to add MP3s to the dumping grounds. But if that's not going to happen, you all could even create some temporary secret forum or wordpress or something that allows specified users to upload MP3s so that it's all on one site instead of having to work offsite as well as upload to Bandcamp/Soundcloud/etc and make it so without a password or without logging in with an account that's been given proper permissions you can't even see the MP3s and posts

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 16:50:02

Well charlie-biwinning, we really aren't flipping out over piracy to much lol. We are simple taking the best measures we can come up with to make the songs private tp us and ONLY us while the project is underway. We don't want people coming in and downloading the tracks for free, which is very easy to do even if you do disable downloading on soundcloud and bandcamp. In fact I know of four websites that record songs in high quality on both soundcloud and bandcamp.

So, the private server idea, in my opinion, would be the easiest and best thing to do.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 16:56:20

sweet jesus another page already?!!?

HEY NEWCOMERS, READ THIS PLEASE BEFORE POSTING! Otherwise you'll just get yelled at ;)

Things that need to be discussed:

1.) On the off chance that this massive project isn't as massive as it would need to be to make the quota of submissions, what would be the course of actions to counter this when all is said and nearly done?

2.) What would happen if the submissions submitted to the contest became genre-top-heavy? Like say if there were more than enough submissions for one of the 4 albums, but a different album didn't have nearly as many as it would need?

Feel free to bring up NEW points of discussion! Here are the things we have discussed so far:

This list contains everything we have gone over so far. Feel free to discuss it if you disagree with it, bring new points up, or PM me for info / if you want to be a judge or do some other help in promoting this. If you don't want to get involved just yet, that's fine, but please tell us that you are interested so we can send you a nifty PM when its time for you to make music like a boss.

1.)The album should include new songs not available on the portal. There will be a nice and private place to submit your entry. Only people with the password to the private server can access your song. Basically, only the people involved in this project will be able to listen to it, which means you will receive critique on your entry and be able to give critique on all the entries! No outsiders can come in and pirate the music :)

2.) Due to the inability to determine if people will enjoy the fact that the album has multiple genres on it, we should instead develop multiple themed albums based around certain genres that fit well together. Each album will be sold to the NG store with about 20+ songs on each album.

3.) Since there are so many people that will be put on the albums, we should donate all funds towards charity. Otherwise, everyone would get only $10 or so for condoms and electricity bills.

4.) The list of genres for each album can include:

- Heartwarming, serious themed album based around the orchestral, folk, jazz, solos, and classical genres."
- Upbeat, dance/grindcore themed album based around Dubstep, Drum N Bass, progressive, and trance."
- Hardcore, brutal themed album based around metal, rock, face melters, and others."
- Chill, visual themed album based around ambient, pop, drone, 8-bit, and experimental/glitch.

5.) I am making a sign up thread to sign up in. Basically, this sign up thread will replace the originally intended contest thread. "signing up" means that you get a PM with a password to the private website where all the music will be posted. This site will contain all the contest Information, rules, and a place for submitting your final amazingly bodacious track. This will allow the audio community to hear and give their opinion on all the music submitted, but NOT allow outsiders to come in and download/steal the music! Since we are making 4 albums, 8CDs, and 120 songs all together... That's a lot of music to steal! Having a private password protected submission page just for us seems to be the right way to go.

So, all in all we will have two threads:

A signup thread
This thread for discussion

6.) Once the contest is over, a team of judges and I will use a judging sheet to determine which the best tracks are. This "judging sheet" wlll most likely be out of 100 points and will be judged based on Quality, Fit, Originality, e.t.c. Only we judges have to worry about this though! :)

7.) Everyone who doesn't make it in will then be allowed to submit their song on the NG Audio Portal for proper criticism and suggestions. The main reasoning behind letting EVERYONE submit a newly made piece is to give EVERYONE a chance at getting into this. If someone ends up working hard and not making it in, then at least they can say they tried their best and therefore improved!

8.)Each album will be designed by someone over on the art portal.

9.)Each album will be mastered and mixed properly from a professional quality technician over here.

10.) We can promote and sell this album in just more than the NG store! With proper research on security to prevent piracy, we can sell this album in Itunes, ReverbNation, e.t.c. but it will mainly be created for Newgrounds by Newgrounds ro promote the Newgrounds audio community and Newgrounds as a whole... NEWGROUNDS.

11.) It has been decided that everyone will produce a new track for the album and choose the best tracks made to put on the album. This way, everyone can get involved, receive critique, and develop online friendships along the way. It will really strengthen the community.

CURRENTLY I NEED VOLUNTEERS THAT WILL:

Help Judge
Help Promote
Simply Help! :)

Thank you for everyone who has helped so far! This is getting some amazing recognition :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-20 20:06:08

Sorry, didn't mean to sound abrasive, I know everyone just wants it to be balanced and a success.

At 6/20/11 04:56 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Things that need to be discussed:

What is the quota, as far as songs submitted equally among the four genres? Will there be a certain score by the judges required in addition to other rules? Is it feasible to have just one single or double mixed genre CD in case there aren't enough for four different genre CDs?

There's not a whole lot to do besides things like spreading the word specifically to artists that might do good on the album(s) that need more submissions I don't think. If one album just couldn't handle on its own, could there be a plan to condense it with another album? Another option could be to release the albums at different times, if it starts looking like one or more album won't make it in time just extend the deadline for those albums, hoping the success of the albums with a lot of good submissions would draw more submissions for the lacking albums, kind of turn it into a series if it looks like it might take some albums more time to get ready.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-21 15:34:57

Question: let's say the song I'm working on right now will be on the album, am I then still allowed to upload it to Bandcamp for a (few) dollar(s)?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-21 15:51:08

At 6/21/11 03:34 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Question: let's say the song I'm working on right now will be on the album, am I then still allowed to upload it to Bandcamp for a (few) dollar(s)?

I do NOT think so. Album stuff should only be released on the album as your Bandcamp page does NOT give the cash to charity and may charge more or less for the song. Blablabla-sorta-self-explanatory.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-21 16:25:32

I'd totally love to be a part of something like this

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-21 16:32:13

At 6/21/11 03:34 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Question: let's say the song I'm working on right now will be on the album, am I then still allowed to upload it to Bandcamp for a (few) dollar(s)?

You can do whatever you want with the song but, if you get on the album, then it'd really be ideal if you didn't give it away for free.

You are the author, and more importantly -- the copyright holder, so nobody can really stop you from doing anything with your music.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-21 20:08:13

I understand the whole private server thing and stuff,and I was wondering if we could also show up our WIPs in that server? it'd be easier and a lot less stressful to have everything myusik inside the album server. thats just my 2 cents though.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature