00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KeyDraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,371 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-29 17:54:14

I'd love to participate with some chill ambient/chiptune/singing...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-29 22:03:30

Just make sure people know that their submissions need to be UNMASTERED and in wav format. And not on the Audio portal.

I will definitely purchase this album if it doesn't fall through.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-29 23:12:44

Oh man, you'll definitely get something from me sometime. This sounds like hella fun.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-29 23:18:11

At 5/29/11 10:03 PM, midimachine wrote: Just make sure people know that their submissions need to be UNMASTERED and in wav format. And not on the Audio portal.

...um, do you mean unmixed? Mastering is the act of choosing the order of songs and making small graphic equalization adjustments to make sure that there's not a huge difference between the volume or EQ'ing on each track. So by handing in our tracks, they would inherently be unmastered?

Well, I'm out-of-action at the moment, since I've been having some problems running my libraries on my new computer. But if I get things up and running, I'd love to submit a track for this album.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-29 23:26:38

I'd like to join, my first song is gonna be posted in a few days, we'll see what the consensus on my style is then.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 00:03:46

Thanks for the extremely useful and not at all pedantic contribution to the thread, but the way I (and a lot of other people that I've worked with) understand the term "unmastered" as a general term for a mix that doesn't have master compression or EQ. In any case, thanks for explaining to me what a mastering engineer does. Never would've guessed.

"unmixed" sounds to me like slapping a bunch of shit together with no regard to levels or sound-space. Which is not at all what I meant.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 01:46:21

At 5/29/11 10:03 PM, midimachine wrote: Just make sure people know that their submissions need to be UNMASTERED and in wav format. And not on the Audio portal.

I will definitely purchase this album if it doesn't fall through.

To be clearer, just in case people don't read my walls of text, I will most likely request everyone submit it as a FLAC, AIF, or other uncompressed format. I will also request people post their tracks up on soundcloud for private view only. If they don't end up getting their music into the album, then they can submit their track to Newgrounds.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 01:49:24

Also, if you would like to join then PLEASE say so. This way, I can PM all of you guys once I start to make the contests. :)

how many double posts will i make?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:07:03

Put me on that list sir.

Oh and dont forget downtempo in the genre placement. (in the ambient/chill CD if ur still going with that)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:08:38

Wait, is ther going to be any orchestral content then? I'm no good at techno or dance or dubstep etc. :'(

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:23:38

The list of genres for each album can include:

- A technoish electric album that has dubstep, progressive, house, techno, and trance.
- An indie style album that includes more non-midi based songs such as Heavy Metal, Rock, and Hip-Hop.
- A chilled, heartwarming album that includes ambient, classical, drone, and orchestra.

These three are just examples. We can discuss which albums should be made later.

HINT: Reading the thread can do you a hella good ;)

Error - your post was 472 characters in length, 87.50% of which was taken up by quoted text. Please include only the quoted parts that are relevant in your post before trying to post your message again. Fuck that noise.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:33:58

I'm in if you come back to Skype and/or Windows Live =3=

... Okay I guess I'm in.

At least this signature is not obsolete.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:37:02

At 5/30/11 02:33 AM, Tome89 wrote: I'm in if you come back to Skype and/or Windows Live =3=

... Okay I guess I'm in.

Lol I just got on skpye BEFORE you posted this.

WHAT THE SHIT ON A SITCK

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:50:12

At 5/30/11 01:46 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
To be clearer, just in case people don't read my walls of text, I will most likely request everyone submit it as a FLAC, AIF, or other uncompressed format. I will also request people post their tracks up on soundcloud for private view only. If they don't end up getting their music into the album, then they can submit their track to Newgrounds.

Sorry to be extremely helpful and not at all pedantic, but the FLAC format is compressed. It's lossless too, though, so there's really no reason for me to point that out. Derp.

Personally, I think it'd be easier in the long run to have everyone use a single samplerate, bit depth and format to save any future conversion hassles. But it doesn't really affect me either way.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 02:56:14

Sorry to be extremely helpful and not at all pedantic, but the FLAC format is compressed. It's lossless too, though, so there's really no reason for me to point that out. Derp.

Lmao quiet you. Loseless, uncompressed, WHATEVER DAWG.

Personally, I think it'd be easier in the long run to have everyone use a single samplerate, bit depth and format to save any future conversion hassles. But it doesn't really affect me either way.

Yeah, me as well but all in all, any loseless format can be used. It wouldn't be any harder than working with one format, to my knowledge. Perhaps WAVE is the way to go.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 03:00:00

Well yeah, there shouldn't be too many problems either way, but you never know!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 03:00:52

At 5/30/11 03:00 AM, midimachine wrote: Well yeah, there shouldn't be too many problems either way, but you never know!

This will be up to the masterer of the albums. I am searching for a suitable mixer / masterer right now. There are many here that know how to do that so it shouldn't be a problem.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 03:53:53

About posting on Souncloud

Can wwe just upload demos here on NG. Maybe a 1min sample from a 4min song? Even on itunes you get to hear a sample of the song before buying it.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:16:23

Also about posting on Soundcloud

I disagree with it. I still prefer the idea of us posting our best music and then some of us get chosen to make the track for the album. It's not like someone who has posted good music in the past will suddenly make a crappy song for the album, and it'll reduce the need of making a song which will eventually not go on the album. Some people may have very little free time and if they go out of their way to make a track, then they'll want to know that at least their hard work made it into the album.

I know that's how I felt when I made my Robot Day submission. I sacrificed a lot of time making the track over the course of a month and at the time I had school so it was hard to keep up, and when I didn't make it into the top entries I was very disappointed. Even if at the least I still got some good reviews, I still felt like all my hard work was unnecessary after not making it, and then seeing people who finished their song in 6 hours one night make it into the top tracks.

Not to say I should've won, because looking back I was terrible at mixing at the time which produced quite a cluttered result, but my point is that the artists with busy schedules will feel disappointed if they want to take part in the CD, make a track in their little free time, and realise that they didn't make it in the end.

Also some people like me don't have a Soundcloud account and are far too lazy to make one :3.

But anyhow, that's just my opinion on it. I think if we all post our best music and certain artists get chosen for the album then it'll be a better option, but then again I suppose it is possible for an artist who made great songs in the past suddenly make a bland submission for the album. I don't know, it's up to you.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:30:35

At 5/30/11 06:16 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Also about posting on Soundcloud

I disagree with it. I still prefer the idea of us posting our best music and then some of us get chosen to make the track for the album. It's not like someone who has posted good music in the past will suddenly make a crappy song for the album, and it'll reduce the need of making a song which will eventually not go on the album. Some people may have very little free time and if they go out of their way to make a track, then they'll want to know that at least their hard work made it into the album.

But the thing is, I think that we should give the people who havent posted a track / made crappy tracks in the past a chance at making it into the album as well. The point of the albums is not to only give recognition to those who make it in, but to give recognition to the audio community as a whole. It will also allow for improvements to be made on the people who dont make it in. We should give EVERYBODY a chance here without any attention paid to past performance. Hard work is still a great thing, even if you dont win, because you IMPROVE from it. As you said yourself, you looked back on the track you made and realized what you should have improved upon.

Once the best tracks are choosen, the other tracks can be submitted up to NG and those tracks will get recognition based on criticisms. If we simply selected the already known best, then that wouldnt be the audio community as a whole now would it?

Also some people like me don't have a Soundcloud account and are far too lazy to make one :3.

It takes literally 30 seconds xD

But anyhow, that's just my opinion on it. I think if we all post our best music and certain artists get chosen for the album then it'll be a better option,

If EVERYONE posted up their best music, then that would require the judges and I to do a whole lot of listening. It would be a lot easier for people to gather up all of their experience and make a new track based on what they have learned over the past years of composing. Once their track was made, they would post it up to soundcloud as a private listen. Then, if they are good enough, they will be selected to be put into the album. If they don't make it in, then they learn and improve and submit it to NG for criticism.

I just want the community as a whole to be able to WORK on this... if we choose the artists before hand, that means not everyone will be able to work on it, and therefore they can not improve because we didnt give them a chance to.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:34:23

Can wwe just upload demos here on NG. Maybe a 1min sample from a 4min song? Even on itunes you get to hear a sample of the song before buying it.

We can still upload to soundcloud and simply upload a single NG track that samples all of the selected tracks. In order to present people with a nice sample of everything on the album, we can do something like THIS. The tracks that aren't selected should then be uploaded in full to NG for proper criticism and improvement opportunities.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:36:48

Regarding Soudcloud

Do not upload to this site if you're aiming for high fidelity. Soundcloud has recently formed a tendency to create LOTS of artifacts in formats that are less compressed than MP3 and will absolutely destroy some frequencies - particularly the very, very low ones - in a mix. I do not know when this started happening, but its relatively audible to the creator of the song and may turn some of the "audiophiles" off.

Even Newgrounds has better, if somewhat colored, fidelity IMO, so just scouring for music here is the better option - no doubt about it.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:41:44

At 5/30/11 06:36 AM, DonCarrera wrote: Regarding Soudcloud

Do not upload to this site if you're aiming for high fidelity.

If this is true, then we could do BandCamp, since they allow the option of choosing the format you want your file in. I say everyone should do a FLAC anyway. We need to have a good website for uploading private tracks on, in any case. Where did you hear about this fidelity problem in soundclod?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:44:45

At 5/30/11 06:41 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Where did you hear about this fidelity problem in soundcloud?

By ear. :D

No, there' an entire complaint forum regarding the recent compression problem within the past few months. I hear it in my own tracks as well - the highs are muddled and the lows ring like I don't know what. Best just to steer clear of it and, as you mentioned, try Bandcamp.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:46:56

At 5/30/11 06:30 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Stuff

For the people who didn't post a track yet on NG or only posted crappy ones, then they should submit a good song to showcase if they want to take part - it's not up to you to make sure everyone's satisfied if they haven't even posted music which matches up to their current skill. And if everyone posts their best song instead of a long list of their best works, then the judges will probably have just about as much listening to do if everyone made a track for the album instead.

But I agree with you that if everyone who wants to take part makes a new track then if they don't make it they can at least get criticism on how to improve. I'm just thinking about the people who put a lot of effort in their submission despite their little free time and it ends up not making it, because that has happened to me a few times in the past.

Maybe you can get the judges to post some brief reviews on the submissions which don't make it so they can see where they went wrong?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 06:56:01

At 5/30/11 06:46 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 5/30/11 06:30 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Stuff
Stuff and Stuff

Sure, those who worked hard and didn't get in would be a bit distressed, but most importantly they would have the oppurtunitty to try their best to be entered in the contest. If they are given a chance to proove themselves worthy, then they can come out with a more passionate track. If they don't get it, then at least they will have most likely improved on their skills and received criticism.

Im saying that for some people, their true talents haven't been made into a track yet, so why not give them a chance to create one for us to hear?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 07:40:08

At 5/30/11 06:44 AM, DonCarrera wrote: ...there' an entire complaint forum regarding the recent compression problem within the past few months.

I thought that the widget plays at 128kbit anyway?

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 07:45:41

CURRENT DISCUSSION

We are trying to decide if we should...

1.) Have everyone submit previously made tracks to us. From there we will pick out the best artists we hear and ask them each to produce a new track, depending on their genre, for the album.

2.) Let everyone produce a new track for the album and choose the best tracks made to put on the album.

I say #2, but that might be just me.

At 5/30/11 07:40 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/30/11 06:44 AM, DonCarrera wrote: ...there' an entire complaint forum regarding the recent compression problem within the past few months.
I thought that the widget plays at 128kbit anyway?

I say we just go ahead and upload files somewhere else just as a precaution. I read around in the soundcloud forums, and apparently they are having problems with compression methods because of bandwidth.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 08:07:36

About the submitting - who's judging this again? I might be interested in submitting one of my own tracks in the hope of spicing the genres up, but things depend on the personal taste and experience of the individuals who are actually rating and sifting through the best entries.

This needs to be decided and agreed upon prior to any actual submissions happening. A single person judging everything can't possibly be good, but irrational zero-bombing douches need to be avoided at all costs as well. I say we vote based on that peoples' musical experience and their general open-mindedness (meaning everyone but me, as I'm a bit of a stupid IDM elitist).

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-05-30 08:22:57

A team will be picked along with me to judge based on a 10 point score sheet. Voting score will not matter, and tracks wont even be able to be voted on by users anyway. Everything will be judged fairly, nothing to worry about there.