00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ThomasBlack0001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Souls!

29,588 Views | 358 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 01:15:13

I'm grinding so I can stock up on purging stones. I never want to deal with being cursed again.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 01:54:10

I just got the boar helm, little over 2.5 hours of gameplay so far.

Boar Helm slows me down quite a bit, looks rather silly too, but good stats on it - Will be useful!

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 08:36:39

At 10/8/11 07:10 AM, Tramps wrote: Why is everyone having so much trouble with the Taurus?

I just climbed up the ladder and jumped on him 4 times.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 13:05:26

Right before the taurus demon fight and before the trap where a zombie kicks a flaming barrel down, I noticed a huge armored enemy. I know it was an attempt of that of the red skull knights from Demon's Souls as it was guarding something.

Tossed a fireball, lured him out all the way across the castle, ran back, got a ring that increases my defense when low on health, then fought the taurus demon. Only died about twice against him; once because my friends were watching me play it and to prove my point that heavy armor holds me down a bit when I roll. After feeling all mighty and what not, I cross a bridge and lo and behold, a red dragon like that from the first one. Nice try From Software.

But what's this? It lands on the other side? I guess I'll just run along the bridge and-oh shit it just landed on the bridge and it scorched me! 5,000 souls gone :(

But that's ok, I can just get them again after I kill some enemies. No biggie.....oh what the hell now all the demons are throwing their fire bombs at me! *dies*

Well...guess I'll be using the souls of the undead that I've been saving and level up.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 14:21:05

I'm stuck on the gargoyles. That one definitely requires co-op to beat, let alone get to. One would of been fine, but the second one breathing fire is just insane. Only advantage is the slant on the roof, usually resulting in him swinging over head. But once the fire comes out, just pray and die.

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 14:47:16

At 10/8/11 02:21 PM, narf wrote: I'm stuck on the gargoyles. That one definitely requires co-op to beat, let alone get to.

Took me two goes to kill them. Just get up close and hack away at them.

It only takes 5 hits each to kill them both.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 20:54:46

At 10/8/11 08:42 PM, Cootie wrote: People always say that this game is hard, but how hard is it really? Does it ever feel cheap and unfair, or is the game just challenging and make you get good at it to succeed? What happens when you die?

Mostly trial and error. Deaths are almost always the result of the player, or very, VERY occasionally the aiming system being a bitch.

When you die, you lose your souls and humanity. You do not want to lose your humanity, for it is a precious comoddity. You can reclaim them by going to the place of death, but without being careful this will result in another death, in which you will lose everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 21:01:49

Got Dex up to 12, was about to get the Drake Sword by buying arrows from nearby merchant. Friend calls me and I put my controller down. Turns out the R2 button hit the table and the merchant got pissed off and what not. In Demon's Souls, npcs wouldn't attack you until you hit them 3 times; now it's only once :/

Killed him (unfortunately), got his uchigatana (woopie? Wasn't going for this build, but I might as well) and his humanity, and I'm left with no arrows.

Damn the controller's so called "triggers."

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 21:03:53

At 10/8/11 08:59 PM, Cootie wrote: In terms of someone who has not played the game? Is this currency or something?

Souls are the currency, and not really a big deal to lose unless you're a tard who stores 10,000 souls for no reason.

Humanity is what's important. You can use it to become human, allowing you to kindle fires (for more health potions) and summon people who've placed signs to help you. Of course, when human people can invade your game and try to kill you. But kill them, and you get THEIR shit. I did that this morning, shit was cash.

Also, item drops be more regular.

Once you die you go back to being hollowed, and have to offer 1 humanity to become human again.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 21:06:32

At 10/8/11 09:01 PM, mrpwnzer wrote: Killed him (unfortunately), got his uchigatana (woopie? Wasn't going for this build, but I might as well) and his humanity, and I'm left with no arrows.

No biggie, so long as you can find someone else who sells a repair box, or you are in trouble my friend.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-08 23:48:46

At 10/8/11 09:06 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 10/8/11 09:01 PM, mrpwnzer wrote: Killed him (unfortunately), got his uchigatana (woopie? Wasn't going for this build, but I might as well) and his humanity, and I'm left with no arrows.

No biggie, so long as you can find someone else who sells a repair box, or you are in trouble my friend.

Well I did by his residence key, which I do believe will allow me to go through the deeper parts of the Burg. There should be another undead merchant somewhere down there I believe.

It's all good. I'm pretty experienced with the uchigatana (or Yulia as how he pronounced it) from Demon's Souls so it shouldn't be too bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 02:17:30

At 10/8/11 11:48 PM, mrpwnzer wrote:

Well I did by his residence key, which I do believe will allow me to go through the deeper parts of the Burg. There should be another undead merchant somewhere down there I believe.

It's all good. I'm pretty experienced with the uchigatana (or Yulia as how he pronounced it) from Demon's Souls so it shouldn't be too bad.

Residence key is to free a dude locked behind a door in the lower burgs. He sells magic stuff back at firelink. So your lucky.

As for killing the merchant, i dont know where other standard arrows are, but theres a merchant at the depths shortcut that sells fire arrows and poison arrows slightly cheeper than heavy arrows. You'll have to beat lower burgs first. As a nice alternative to the drake sword since you have no arrows, if you have the master key, you can get to drake valley through new londo ruins and suicide run the items there. Theres a sword there sitting in front of a sleeping dragon, that is in my opinion better than the drake sword simply because it's faster and you can spear lunge with it. Then if you don't have the master key, just reinforce your best weapon with any titanite shards you have.

Theres a blacksmith in undead parish that sells the repair box. May take a bit to finally get to him but once you do, there's a lovely campfire there as well, making getting to the gargoyles much easier.

I'm in laggy assed blighttown now, getting toxiced to death. Think I'm gunna head back to Depths and farm the boss as a phantom. Freaking awesome i can choose when to become "alive" now.

And yes, being cursed is pretty much worse than being dead in demon souls. DONT EVER GET CURSED! If you get cursed, dont get double cursed, and certainly don't get triple cursed. If your quad cursed you might as well start your game over.

Have fun.

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 04:05:44

What's this cursed thing? Is that the purple icon underneath my health?

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 10:17:55

At 10/9/11 02:17 AM, narf wrote:
At 10/8/11 11:48 PM, mrpwnzer wrote:

stuff

I do have the master key, so I should be fine. I have a feeling I won't be playing much this week due to other mid terms. Thanks for the advice. I'm not really far in; I just killed the boar and opened a gate to a inner castle area (contains skeletons with capes and some bad ass armor). Unfortunately, I got my butt whooped and they can actually close the gate :(

Also, is it a good idea to level up intelligence as a pyromancer? I'm just going to go through this game as this character until I figured out the tricks with this game.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 12:18:39

At 10/9/11 04:05 AM, phrozonfire wrote: What's this cursed thing? Is that the purple icon underneath my health?

Being cursed cuts your health bar in half until you can find a purging stone or make it to the healer in the londo ruins. You'd know if you were cursed.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 12:20:41

Guys, how do I kill the Vagina Dragon?

My hits do about 2 damage. Is there a weak spot somewhere?

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 12:53:06

At 10/9/11 12:20 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Guys, how do I kill the Vagina Dragon?

My hits do about 2 damage. Is there a weak spot somewhere?

No weak spot, but if you hit his tail enough you get a really powerful axe.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 13:34:42

I'm stuck on the Moonlight Butterfly boss battle right now. Not particularly easy when your character is a melee based fighter. I have very powerful armor and I'm using the Drake Sword, but this thing is still kicking my ass. Whenever I try blocking his attacks, it breaks through my shield every time.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 13:58:38

I approve of the evil auras in this thread.

I got cursed, and I had to backtrack for a fucking hour to cure it.

Being cursed is the worst possible thing that can happen. I don't want to go through the frogs again.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 22:51:23

At 10/9/11 01:58 PM, phrozonfire wrote: I approve of the evil auras in this thread.

I got cursed, and I had to backtrack for a fucking hour to cure it.

Being cursed is the worst possible thing that can happen. I don't want to go through the frogs again.

There's only 1 frog you have to fight as long as you don't fall down one of the trap doors, and he has low hp. If you see he's about to attack, roll the fuck away. Also, you can trade a cracked red eye orb to snuggly the crow for 2 purging stones. Look it up on youtube if you don't know how to get back to the asylum.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-09 22:56:13

At 10/9/11 01:34 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: I'm stuck on the Moonlight Butterfly boss battle right now. Not particularly easy when your character is a melee based fighter. I have very powerful armor and I'm using the Drake Sword, but this thing is still kicking my ass. Whenever I try blocking his attacks, it breaks through my shield every time.

You can't block it's attacks, but a shield with high magic resistance (try using the knight's shield) absorbs a lot of damage. Really though, just roll to dodge the attacks. Take off your armor if it slows you down. Moonlight butterfly was really easy for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 00:30:46

Fuck the gargoyles, 5 or 6 tries now... Not having fun with these guys.

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 00:52:05

At 10/10/11 12:30 AM, Luke wrote: Fuck the gargoyles, 5 or 6 tries now... Not having fun with these guys.

Did you talk to Solaire on the bridge by the dragon? You can summon him to help you with the gargoyles, and it definitely makes the fight easier.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 01:34:08

Oh dear don't remind me. I was going to preorder it the day before it came out but had a surprise bill shoved in my face and well there went my $60

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 02:19:17

I fucking hate blight town. It's like 5-2 all over again, but with toxin. Toxin is like poison, but it kills you a lot faster, and the price of the moss to cure it is twice the price of purple moss.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 02:46:27

At 10/9/11 10:51 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: There's only 1 frog you have to fight as long as you don't fall down one of the trap doors, and he has low hp. If you see he's about to attack, roll the fuck away. Also, you can trade a cracked red eye orb to snuggly the crow for 2 purging stones. Look it up on youtube if you don't know how to get back to the asylum.

Actually.... I know how to bypass the frogs. I know how to get to the boss withing 30 seconds of the bonfire. Ya really. You know when you turn right after re-spawning? before descending down the stairs, smash those inconspicuous crates.

There's a ladder RIGHT there which takes you straight to the merchant, bypassing every single enemy in the depths apart from the boss.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 04:12:36

At 10/10/11 12:52 AM, Stretchysumo wrote:
At 10/10/11 12:30 AM, Luke wrote: Fuck the gargoyles, 5 or 6 tries now... Not having fun with these guys.
Did you talk to Solaire on the bridge by the dragon? You can summon him to help you with the gargoyles, and it definitely makes the fight easier.

I sure did. I didn't know he could come and help you though... Apparently if you have Humanity you can get a nice drop off the gargoyles too... My brother was talking about it, I THINK you need Humanity to get those rare drops.

I'll definitely try again with the help of Solaire, it really feels impossible doing it alone.

Thanks for the tips man.

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 13:43:04

You don't need humanity to get drops from the gargoyles, you need to cut off the gargoyle's tail that has the axe on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-10 17:07:52

So I'm about to head into the depths, and so far I've been using the drake sword.
Has anyone found a weapon that's superior to the drake sword this far into the game, and is it worth pursuing, or would it be a suicidal mission to try and get it, only offering minor superiorities as a reward?

Response to Dark Souls! 2011-10-11 02:44:40

Got the gargoyles, didn't get the drop.
I'll survive I suppose, though I really wanted it.

Where to now I wonder, the lightning shooting fucker past the blacksmith, into the forest? That's my guess anyway, I really wanna help the onion guy sitting outside the gate.