00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vie64 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Souls!

29,591 Views | 358 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 00:23:02

At 2/3/13 12:12 AM, malachi117 wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:06 AM, Squidbit wrote:
I didn't know that, thanks. The stamina thing would have been SUPER helpful when I was fighting the halbred knight. He was just destroying my stamina with his quick attacks. I gotta remember to only block when I need to be blocking from now on.
Also I didn't even know that you could save and quit in a specific spot. I thought it always took you back to the campfire. I've never seen a save option, though. Either way, I just gotta run up to him and beat the shit out of him before he gets away. I almost got him once, but I stopped attacking for a second and he ran off.
The quit option shows at the end of the row if you hit start.

The Knight's (Black & Silver) are both fairly tough, the black knights that show up in the beginnings are just there as extra challenge and guard good gear, the Halbred knight guarded the Grass Crest shield which will boost your stamina regen. All you need to do though when fighting them is circle around (You move faster when you arent blocking) and just keep back stabbing them.

I've just been blocking and attacking while they're stunned. I dunno if it's cause I'm using the black knight's shield, or because I upgraded it twice, but I don't take damage from any attacks while blocking anymore. At first I would still take damage from strong attacks while blocking, but now I just lose some stamina.
And yeah I knew about the quit option, but I didn't know it saved your position too. I thought it just saved your stats and then put you back at the last fire.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 00:41:40

At 2/3/13 12:23 AM, Squidbit wrote: I've just been blocking and attacking while they're stunned. I dunno if it's cause I'm using the black knight's shield, or because I upgraded it twice, but I don't take damage from any attacks while blocking anymore. At first I would still take damage from strong attacks while blocking, but now I just lose some stamina.
And yeah I knew about the quit option, but I didn't know it saved your position too. I thought it just saved your stats and then put you back at the last fire.

Shields important info is over on the right side of the screen, nothing on the left side of the screen matters with shields.

The right side will tell you the % of physical damage it will block, 100% meaning you take no damage, will 99% and under will take some damage.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 02:41:27

At 2/3/13 12:23 AM, Squidbit wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:12 AM, malachi117 wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:06 AM, Squidbit wrote:
I've just been blocking and attacking while they're stunned. I dunno if it's cause I'm using the black knight's shield, or because I upgraded it twice, but I don't take damage from any attacks while blocking anymore. At first I would still take damage from strong attacks while blocking, but now I just lose some stamina.

If you're using shields a lot you want to make sure you use a shield with high stability. Stability is the degree of stamina loss resistance you have. Meaning higher stability = losing less stamina per blocked attack. Usually though the highest stability shields are heavy greatshields that require a lot of strength and you can't parry them. Parrying is a bit much for a beginner though so don't worry too much if you aren't comfortable with it, I've beaten the game 3 times and I still can't parry or dodge for shit.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 02:55:28

At 2/3/13 12:41 AM, malachi117 wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:23 AM, Squidbit wrote: I've just been blocking and attacking while they're stunned. I dunno if it's cause I'm using the black knight's shield, or because I upgraded it twice, but I don't take damage from any attacks while blocking anymore. At first I would still take damage from strong attacks while blocking, but now I just lose some stamina.
Shields important info is over on the right side of the screen, nothing on the left side of the screen matters with shields.

The right side will tell you the % of physical damage it will block, 100% meaning you take no damage, will 99% and under will take some damage.

Mine has 100 physical and 66 stability.

At 2/3/13 02:41 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: If you're using shields a lot you want to make sure you use a shield with high stability. Stability is the degree of stamina loss resistance you have. Meaning higher stability = losing less stamina per blocked attack. Usually though the highest stability shields are heavy greatshields that require a lot of strength and you can't parry them. Parrying is a bit much for a beginner though so don't worry too much if you aren't comfortable with it, I've beaten the game 3 times and I still can't parry or dodge for shit.

I'm getting more comfortable with parrying. I can do it against the spear guys, but I still fuck it up sometimes.

Mild spoilers even though most people here have beaten it I think:
While I was in the church, someone wrote "Liar ahead" on the floor before the gold knight guy in the cell, so I thought "Okay this guy is gonna attack me if I open it" and just left him to rot, didn't think much of it. I just came back to the start and found him sitting there, and he was pissed at me and refused to talk, so I figured I fucked up. I googled "dark souls gold knight" to see if he was useful, and after seeing the shit he does, I figured it would be easier to just kill him then and there and take whatever loot he drops.
Well, he killed himself. I attacked him like 2 times, and then he rolled backwards off a cliff and I can see his loot way down just floating, taunting me.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 03:47:54

At 2/3/13 02:55 AM, Squidbit wrote: Well, he killed himself. I attacked him like 2 times, and then he rolled backwards off a cliff and I can see his loot way down just floating, taunting me.

Save & Quit. When you reload his drop should be where he was sitting.

I have no idea why none of us have pointed you Here yet.

Because while we can all help you and answer your questions, that wiki will allow you to look things up as you need without waiting for us.

It really is a great game, and you should really enjoy some of the later things you'll do.

Also being in human form allows you to summon other players to help you, keep that in mind if you get stuck on a boss.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 04:52:14

Some twat 'invaded' and killed me. I was super far away from the bonfire too. I didn't even know that could happen

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 05:56:33

At 2/3/13 04:52 AM, Squidbit wrote: Some twat 'invaded' and killed me. I was super far away from the bonfire too. I didn't even know that could happen

Welcome to being in human form.

When you're in human form you can summon people or be summoned, but you also risk being invaded by another player. So there is a risk to hunting for a co-op partner. Now when you're in hollow form you can't be invaded, but you can't summon ( You can still be summoned though )

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 06:20:02

At 2/3/13 05:56 AM, malachi117 wrote:=

When you're in human form you can summon people or be summoned, but you also risk being invaded by another player. So there is a risk to hunting for a co-op partner. Now when you're in hollow form you can't be invaded, but you can't summon ( You can still be summoned though )

Guess who's never going human again lol.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 12:06:43

At 2/3/13 06:20 AM, Squidbit wrote: At 2/3/13 05:56 AM, malachi117 wrote:=
Guess who's never going human again lol.

It's not really that bad. Eventually you learn how to recognize and punish an invader's tricks. Except for ninja flippers, dear sweet jesus if you come across someone who's even marginally good at ninja flipping you'll lose. And if that's not enough, just disconnect. At least that's what I usually do if an invader tries luring or the likes.

Anyway, I'm almost to NG+8. Thanks to forest farming, I'm level 288 and finally have the dark soul trophy. Damn channelers didn't want to give up their tridents.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-03 16:34:37

At 2/3/13 12:06 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Damn channelers didn't want to give up their tridents.

I got super lucky, and my third attempt they dropped it.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-10 05:41:48

I went down into the depths, and it wasn't too bad. I dunno if the sewer looking place and the giant underground cave/graveyard are both the depths, but I was in the sewers. Anyway I fell down a couple holes and ended up fighting those fucking lizard things, killed what I thought was all of them with no problem. Then one jumped behind me in a small hallway and cursed me. So I lost around 5000 souls from that, so I had to go back and fight them all again to get my shit. I figured I would be able to get to a bonfire somewhere around there, but nope, turns out the only path lead to a gaping dragon, which murdered the fuck out of me and now I've lost ~10,000 souls which I could have leveled up twice with to maybe be able to carry my black knight halberd effectively.
Fuck.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-10 10:30:35

At 2/10/13 05:41 AM, Squidbit wrote:

turns out the only path lead to a gaping dragon, which murdered the fuck out of me and now I've lost ~10,000 souls which I could have leveled up twice with to maybe be able to carry my black knight halberd effectively.

The gaping dragon is insanely easy if you're patient. Just wait for it to do its charge attack. Make sure to go for his tail after his attack so that you get the Dragon Axe (or something like that, it's been a while). You also get about 25,000 souls afterwards so no harm done.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-10 15:03:36

At 2/10/13 10:30 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:
turns out the only path lead to a gaping dragon, which murdered the fuck out of me and now I've lost ~10,000 souls which I could have leveled up twice with to maybe be able to carry my black knight halberd effectively.

The gaping dragon is insanely easy if you're patient. Just wait for it to do its charge attack. Make sure to go for his tail after his attack so that you get the Dragon Axe (or something like that, it's been a while). You also get about 25,000 souls afterwards so no harm done.

Yeah he's really slow and doesn't seem to have any surprising attacks, it's just that I was sort of panicking, and that fucking magic guy firing at me from way up top didn't help either. If I wasn't cursed, I would have just shot up at him and not worried about it, but one good attack from that dragon would have killed me, so I was worried about standing still for too long. Plus I only had like 6 arrows left, and not good ones.
Thanks for telling me about the tail, though. I wouldn't have tried that on my own.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-02-10 15:06:21

At 2/10/13 03:03 PM, Squidbit wrote:
At 2/10/13 10:30 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:

Yeah he's really slow and doesn't seem to have any surprising attacks, it's just that I was sort of panicking, and that fucking magic guy firing at me from way up top didn't help either. If I wasn't cursed, I would have just shot up at him and not worried about it, but one good attack from that dragon would have killed me, so I was worried about standing still for too long. Plus I only had like 6 arrows left, and not good ones.
Thanks for telling me about the tail, though. I wouldn't have tried that on my own.

Always go for the tail when its a dragon creature. Also, you can kill the caster on the ledge above you, theres a path by the rat section of the depths. You should also probably spring for some purging stones to get rid of that curse. Oswald of carim sells them.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-03-26 23:06:29

So someone was telling PvP stories and I swear he's just being butt hurt about this one.

Basically hes in undead parish with two phantoms and a ninja flipping invader comes and kills his two phantoms. So the guy actually ejects the disk and then sends bragmail to the invader who was about to kill him. But no he insists that he lost because they were flipping with an elemental washing pole.

I don't buy it, 3 people couldn't beat one ninja flipper? Bah.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-03-27 01:25:12

At 3/26/13 11:06 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I don't buy it, 3 people couldn't beat one ninja flipper? Bah.

He'd have to have some extremely shitty Phantoms with him to get beaten 3V1 by a flipper.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-03-31 01:47:40

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-03-31 02:53:43

At 3/31/13 01:47 AM, TheSporkLord wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8I6fm vp37TU

Just sayin

That was beautiful.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-03-31 20:08:15

At 1/19/13 02:38 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Currently been dicking around with a bleed build. A few of the stats may be one or two points off, but it's basically my guy right now.

I'd swap the lifehunt for a quicker bleed wep like the uchi or something and when you think you are gonna bleed em, just whip out priscillia's dagger to get the last hit and buffed bleed. Just a thought i like the lifehunt tho.

Tarkus is dead.

There is no god.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-01 00:39:51

At 3/31/13 02:53 AM, malachi117 wrote:
At 3/31/13 01:47 AM, TheSporkLord wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8I6fm vp37TU

Just sayin
That was beautiful.

I've actually been invading people while doing that. I just follow them around the entire time. Most of the hosts figured out what I was going for and let me live, but there were still some dicks out there.

Also, my first PvP build is somewhat based off the " HE'S BACK " video build.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=125189746479680458

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-01 00:56:15

At 4/1/13 12:39 AM, TheSporkLord wrote:
Also, my first PvP build is somewhat based off the " HE'S BACK " video build.

My first PvP involved Chameleon, Toxic mist, Chaos Great ball, Zwei+15 and poison resin.

All the angry message.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 07:24:59

At 4/10/13 03:05 AM, NickScott wrote: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400114/dark-souls-2-wor ld-premier-gameplay-reveal-tomorrow/

TOMORROW WE SHALL SEE IF THE NEW DIRECTOR CAN CREATE A GAME BETTER THAN ITS TWO PREDECESSORS. THE FATE OF THE WORLD SHALL BE DETERMINED TOMORROW. FINGERS CROSSED, GENTLEMEN.

Umbasa!

Actually, it should be today. It says April 10th on there.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 15:23:52

Unfff those 12 new minutes.

Doubts I had were cast aside after that.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 15:51:57

Alright motherfuckers, Here it is

I was worried that they might ruin the game, but so far that shit looks radical.

I need this game, now.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 16:09:06

At 4/10/13 03:51 PM, malachi117 wrote: Alright motherfuckers, Here it is

I was worried that they might ruin the game, but so far that shit looks radical.

I need this game, now.

I was really concerned they would take things away from Dark Souls but thankfully they've only improved. The combat looks weightier and it appears they might have added more depth to weapon movesets and I am really digging the toned down textures in the graphics. The armors aren't all glistening like they've been freshly waxed over at all times and interact better with the lighting. The second level they showed where the rat-cyclops broke through the wall was sick as fuck too.

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 16:28:09

You can finally move and shoot with a bow.
Combat looks a bit weightier.
Bonfires light up the room (dem shadows, though)
It still looks challenging.
Atmosphere reminds me of the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls.

Well I might go on ahead and pre-order it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 17:09:07

At 4/10/13 04:28 PM, mrpwnzer wrote:

So many nightmares... NG+, pure black tendency, black phantom mindflayers

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-10 19:43:40

At 4/10/13 05:09 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 4/10/13 04:28 PM, mrpwnzer wrote:

So many nightmares... NG+, pure black tendency, black phantom mindflayers

I remember raging about the Fool's Idol the first time (and her music, ugh) because that one guy kept reviving her. The second part of world 3 was beautiful in a sick, twisted, no hope, kind of way. Oh and the maneaters....those god damn maneaters.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls! 2013-04-11 01:54:17

After some debate, I really love the idea behind the torches that are going to be put in DSII. It just makes better sense. I love that it even has the effect of losing it if you pull out your shield.

I'm just glad that the Lantern and Sunlight Maggot style item will be gone, as the Lantern was just useless as all hell, and the Sunlight Maggot was way to OP of a light source.